• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Wait a minute...

I just completed chapter one.
Now I'm on to chapter 2 but C2W(Subsistence) and Backup, backdown (Extreme) showed up on my mission list. Are the rest of the missions gonna be repeats of chapter one?
With harder difficulties of course.

usp84

Man this whole "cut content, chapter 3,4" thing is really annoying me...

Could it be why Kojima leaves?Maybe Konami will give it as DLC?

Jolkien

When fo you unlock the fulton with the 4 balloons? Im on mission 23 if that helps.

You unlock it by getting the certificate when you Fulton enough people I'm not sure the number. Must be high I got it and I had the upgrade above it.
the wormhole Fulton

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait a minute...

I just completed chapter one.
Now I'm on to chapter 2 but C2W(Subsistence) and Backup, backdown (Extreme) showed up on my mission list. Are the rest of the missions gonna be repeats of chapter one?
With harder difficulties of course.

No. New story-related missions unlock depending on how many Side Ops you've done. You are not required whatsoever to do the
harder difficulty replay
missions.

No. New story-related missions unlock depending on how many Side Ops you've done. You are not required whatsoever to do the
harder difficulty replay
missions.

Thank god for that info. I would have been done with the game for sure. On to side ops!

Been trying to upload my Ground Zeroes save file for my TPP playthrough but I keep on getting an upload failed message. What could be causing it? My connection is working properly, I'm signed into PSN, and the game is connected to the server.

harder difficulty replay
missions.

Do those missions!!! The subsistence and total stealth missions are some of my favourite.

Once my main missions are done, i'll probably revisit them. But with the allure of FOB and MGO in the near future, its gonna be hard to go back.

Luken

This game reminds me of the Indiana Jones and Rambo movies. I love how the music gets intense when sneaking past enemies in some missions.

I have one complaint, the arm upgrade mobility +3 which makes Snake run faster, I hate it,and you can't downgrade it. Some upgrades are not possible to downgrade.

Setsuna

This game reminds me of the Indiana Jones and Rambo movies. I love how the music gets intense when sneaking past enemies in some missions.

I have one complaint, the arm upgrade mobility +3 which makes Snake run faster, I hate it,and you can't downgrade it. Some upgrades are not possible to downgrade.

why would you want to go back?

LiK

i dont even understand why this game has a checkpoint system. I just did some of the hardest optional tasks in the game during a total stealth mission. Got spotted at the very end, literally during the extraction. So it threw me back to the beginning of the mission with all of my tasks wiped.

it's pretty bad. the CPs in some missions seem fixed while another mission started me at a CP near the end after I went past a certain part and saved my current state. one mission didn't even have a CP. I wish it was more consistent. it does add tension but yea, when you lose all the optional stuff you did, it's fucking infuriating.

Luken

why would you want to go back?

I don't like that Snake can run as fast as Raiden and the horse. He runs super fast and breaks the immersion. This game let you customize almost every thing but this that change the gameplay you can't disable the upgrade.

Woo-Fu

Banned
gotta love even more those "WOW! 35 hours in and only 22 percent complete this game is massive!" now that i've finished the game at 46% with every mission done except for like 3 side-ops

lol

I'm only at 85%. lol.

1Hg2yfT.jpg

Galileo

Neo Member
Jesus, mission 4
must be one of the worst difficulty spikes I've ever experienced in a videogame, took me 2 hours to complete it.
What's really bullshit is that you can't return to motherbase to switch to better gear or develop more powerful weapons, I was forced to do it with the most basic equipment since at first it seemed just the usual sneaky mission.

Chariot

Jesus, mission 4
must be one of the worst difficulty spikes I've ever experienced in a videogame, took me 2 hours to complete it.
What's really bullshit is that you can't return to motherbase to switch to better gear or develop more powerful weapons, I was forced to do it with the most basic equipment since at first it seemed just the usual sneaky mission.
You know.... you can just drop in weapons, supplies and equip at any time.

gotta love even more those "WOW! 35 hours in and only 22 percent complete this game is massive!" now that i've finished the game at 46% with every mission done except for like 3 side-ops

lol

The game is massive. I must be around 50 hours in, and probably have at least another 5 to go to complete the story. And that's excluding the repeat missions and a handful of sideops

Jesus, mission 4

You can:
- develop new weapons/items from your iDroid in the development menu
- drop specific weapons/items from your iDroid in the development menu
- supply drop ammo from your iDroid
- supply drop a full loadout from your iDroid
- use a flare grenade to get a heat of the moment full loadout drop

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jesus, mission 4

As long as you can
fulton armored units
you don't need better gear.

SomTervo

Jesus, mission 4

Can't you just call in Weapon/Item Supply Drops from the iDroid? I do that whenever my situation changes and I need to go quiet or loud unexpectedly. Call in Battle Dress, a Rocket Launcher, a Tranq Sniper, whatever I need in the moment. Takes half a minute.

FYI I'm near that mission but not at it, no spoilers pls.

Iceternal

Chapter 2 is weird :

I think they should've included all the story content in Chapter 1 to beef it up.

Chapter 2 feels like a collection of scene unedited thrown at you randomly.

Even the tapes, while I didn't get any for like 10 hours in chapter 1, now I've got so many to listen to it gets boring.

Chapter 1's structure feels like a proper game/story, but a little barebones.

Adding all the chapter 2 content would've made it much more coherent and enjoyable.

Chapter 2 actually feels like watching a Bluray's bonus features and deleted scenes.

Galileo

Neo Member
You can:
- develop new weapons/items from your iDroid in the development menu
- drop specific weapons/items from your iDroid in the development menu
- supply drop ammo from your iDroid
- supply drop a full loadout from your iDroid
- use a flare grenade to get a heat of the moment full loadout drop
Ah, I thought you could only request additional ammo for weapons you've already equipped, still I don't think I could've developed better explosives without recruiting new staff, something you can't do while on a mission.
Oh well, in the end I managed to do it by
spamming the support bombardment
, but it was frustrating as hell.

Chariot

Ah, I thought you could only request additional ammo for weapons you've already equipped, still I don't think I could've developed better explosives without recruiting new staff, something you can't do while on a mission.
Oh well, in the end I managed to do it by
spamming the support bombardment
, but it was frustrating as hell.
You don't even need explosives
One of the side objectives is collecting the tanks anyways, so go out and get em all.

Well I've given up.

Finished chapter 41 but the end of Quiet's story didn't trigger, even though I had the previous patch that was supposed to fix the bug. No matter what side op grinding I do, nothing is letting me progress.

Plus now I know the "ending" and while its pure fun MGS I've reached my maximum fill with this game.

It was excellent, really excellent. But the pacing of chapter 2 really put a dent in it for me. It went from GOTY to just "really fucking good". The gameplay alone makes me give it a lot of leeway but I'm going to youtube the ending a call it a day.

I've done all the numbered MGS games (plus watching the Peace Walker movie) over the last 6 weeks. I think I'm all Snaked out.

Haunted

I do prefer the 80s action movie "hostage situation" (Die Hard, Under Siege, Sudden Death etc) of MGS 1 over this open world/base management approach.

The 10 side missions in the game being repeated like 15 times each is just fucking padding.

edit: ^^ Yes, the core Gameplay is very strong. I think it's the best Metal Gear game in the last ~20 years and much better than I thought it would be (based on the last couple games), but I can't imagine putting it in goty contention, which is almost always decided by critical thinking and analysis for me. Story, writing, pacing, structure... nothing really holds up under scrutiny.

justjim89

Asking again:

How do I get the next story mission? My last one was
clearing out the quarantine platform.
Yeesh what a rough scene. Going through side ops trying to avoid doing any of the bullshit hardmode story missions. What do I need to do to push the story forward? I've done everything in yellow except a combat deployment mission that requires a tank that my team keeps losing.

RSB

Banned
After two weeks of playing I finally beat it yesterday. The Mother Base stuff felt more irritating than in PW for some reason, and the lack of
bosses
was disappointing, but the gameplay is awesome, and overall I really liked the game.

Losing Quiet after Mission 45
is really fucking stupid, though. Why would Kojima do such a thing. I hope they
bring her back
with a patch or something.

Oh, and the story is awful, but after MGS4 I fully expected it, so no real disappointment on that front. Honestly, I'm glad Kojima won't be doing any more Metal Gear games. I don't know what he'll do next, but at least he won't have to deal with the incredibly convoluted story of the MGS franchise anymore. In my mind the real ending of the saga is MGS2, and everything after that is just bad fanfiction, with really good gameplay (except PW, which is just bad in general)

NateGrigs

You know, going out of your way to collect 100 fuel somehow isn't really worth it if you have to collect 48,000 units to build a platform.

I like raiding outposts and bases for resources, but 48,000 units of fuel for the 4th platform is insane. That's 48,000 x 6 to maximize your Mother Base. I suppose the point is to push you towards the FOB gameplay, but come on.

Yeah the 100x containers do lose their value as you go on. I do raids for the large shipping containers and let my base process them while I'm doing something else. Pick a drop point with a large base between you and a side op and raid it on your way there. Also, keep and eye out for combat deployments that can net you resources and avoid those that give you worthless troops.

Galileo

Neo Member
You don't even need explosives
One of the side objectives is collecting the tanks anyways, so go out and get em all.
I tried to do that but the enemies seemed to be in a perpetual alert sate where they could shoot me from the other side of the map, the pinpoint accuracy of
tanks
(that can easily one-shot you if you're wearing basic armor) was especially infuriating.

justjim89

I still have the
butterfly
equipped on my emblem. I know that keeps
Quiet's ending
from triggering, but does it halt anything else?

LiK

anyone here got their FOBs invaded? do you lose a lot of stuff if they successfully infiltrate the core or is this up to the other player on what they steal? I'm making Security the top priority for me atm.

I’ve been loving this game. Unfortunately I have nowhere near the amount of time I used to when it comes to being able to play games. I’ve only put in about seven hours, but the hour I put in last night was such a damn blast. Funny enough this is the first MGS game where I’ve not really cared about stealth – consequently it’s the first one were I’ve not really needed it to survive (though that could change as the game progresses.) I encountered my first bear yesterday, and the fight went just like I thought it would – I put ten sleeping darts in his face and dove when he charged. I fultened his drowsy body back to Mother Base which leads me to ask the question: what is the point of sending animals to Mother Base? This has probably been asked already, but it’s hard to go through these massive OTs. Thanks .

psylah

anyone here got their FOBs invaded? do you lose a lot of stuff if they successfully infiltrate the core or is this up to the other player on what they steal? I'm making Security the top priority for me atm.

I invaded, got to a core (medical platform) and got 7 people from the core, I think 15-18 total after I fultoned his dudes.

I haven't lost many resources yet.

Haunted

Watching singsing play MGSV and it would probably give stealth purists and MGS lore fans an aneurysm. :lol

He doesn't know anything about any of the characters and doesn't give a shit about stealth. ayy

I’ve been loving this game. Unfortunately I have nowhere near the amount of time I used to when it comes to being able to play games. I’ve only put in about seven hours, but the hour I put in last night was such a damn blast. Funny enough this is the first MGS game where I’ve not really cared about stealth – consequently it’s the first one were I’ve not really needed it to survive (though that could change as the game progresses.) I encountered my first bear yesterday, and the fight went just like I thought it would – I put ten sleeping darts in his face and dove when he charged. I fultened his drowsy body back to Mother Base which leads me to ask the question: what is the point of sending animals to Mother Base? This has probably been asked already, but it’s hard to go through these massive OTs. Thanks .
It nets you some heroism and there's a little animal place you can visit in your base for fun.

LiK

I invaded, got to a core (medical platform) and got 7 people from the core, I think 15-18 total after I fultoned his dudes.

I haven't lost many resources yet.

dang. I don't wanna lose resources cuz it's taking me ages to get Fuel Resources. I need them to expand my base some more.

what is the point of sending animals to Mother Base? This has probably been asked already, but it’s hard to go through these massive OTs. Thanks .
You get some heroism and a little bit of gmp. You also can visit the animals on your animal conservation platform,(aka mother base zoo), but that gets built later in the game

Hystzen

Chapter 2 being a deleted and left over scenes section is horrible it mentions something about Kaz then straight away ignores it.

I spoiler what I mean chapter 2 spoilers of course
Kaz is shown to be blind during his speech saying Diamond Dogs will be his eyes. Then when the torture Quiet scene happens he clearly says "she looks healthy to him" dude your blind or writer forgot that part

It shows how the scenes are not in order and randomly placed together. Some the tapes are interesting especially the Informant's Reports but it is massively out weighted by the shit like the "rain" scene I mean wtf.

Are some levels capped until you upgrade your base? My R&D level has been stuck at 39 for ages. Manually sorting through the guys,saluting the boys nothing seems to push it over.

Watching singsing play MGSV and it would probably give stealth purists and MGS lore fans an aneurysm. :lol

He doesn't know anything about any of the characters and doesn't give a shit about stealth. ayy

It nets you some heroism and there's a little animal place you can visit in your base for fun.

You get some heroism and a little bit of gmp. You also can visit the animals on your animal conservation platform,(aka mother base zoo), but that gets built later in the game

Thanks. I did notice that I received 5000 GMP for the bear.

Chariot

Both. They get 10 soldiers out of your whole stock that are not udner direct contract or otherwise locked, but they can also fulton everything extra, the guards, reinforcements, mortars, canons and containers with your unprocessed ressources. Although there are not containers if you only have one platform.

Haunted

Are some levels capped until you upgrade your base? My R&D level has been stuck at 39 for ages. Manually sorting through the guys,saluting the boys nothing seems to push it over.
The two most obvious ways are either to expand your R&D platform or build a new one on the FOB. Even if they're only C or D level guys, 20 additional ones will make a difference.

Otherwise, just go out there and Fulton better soldiers, at that level replacing 4 or 5 D-level bottom feeders with A/A+ guys should do it.

LiK

Both. They get 10 soldiers out of your whole stock that are not udner direct contract or otherwise locked, but they can also fulton everything extra, the guards, reinforcements, mortars, canons and containers with your unprocessed ressources. Although there are not containers if you only have one platform.

ah thanks. I didn't know locked guys can't be stolen. I was just shoving shitty guys into the Security team instead, lol. guess i'll put in better guys when I finally unlock more security stuff.

Chariot

ah thanks. I didn't know locked guys can't be stolen. I was just shoving shitty guys into the Security team instead, lol. guess i'll put in better guys when I finally unlock more security stuff.
Haha, yeah, don't do that. People can see how good your FOB is defended and easy targets are picked apart with pleasure. It really makes a huge difference what stats the Security Team has. S people see you immideately and call alarm, while you can basically dance at a pole in front of the E guys without them realizing what's happening.

LiK

Haha, yeah, don't do that. People can see how good your FOB is defended and easy targets are picked apart with pleasure. It really makes a huge difference what stats the Security Team has. S people see you immideately and call alarm, while you can basically dance at a pole in front of the E guys without them realizing what's happening.

oh shit, they can scout it out before invading? man, this game is crazy lol

Top Bottom