• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

doesn't the screen start to get a glitch narrowed effect while miller says "Boss, you're leaving the mission area"?

I was running at full speed after taking a wrong turn. Had no idea why the boarders even came up as its not happened before. I've just lost a ton of quality game time because of it.

That's one of the worst things that's ever happened to me in a game. So bad.

I played both and don't know why you are saying this.. in fact, Solid Snake is played like a damn fiddle by Big Boss..

a fight doesn't determine who's "better"

Big Boss is a coward and MGS4, PW and MGSV establish that BB only got to where he is because of the people around him - EVA, Ocelot, Miller, Huey etc. He wouldn't have established shit without them. Solid Snake infiltrates both of BB's bases and defeats all of his personnel before beating him. Then after the legend of Big Boss dies and Solid Snake begins, instead of turning against the world like BB did, he secludes himself from the world only to be forced back into the ring by an old friend and then beats his brother and his former unit comprised of the world's elite before going on to take down an unknown amount of Metal Gears through Philanthropy. Then he takes out The Patriots. SS has beaten more odds than BB ever did (and more Metal Gears). BB is a crybaby that misses his mommy.

wiibomb

Holy ****ing shit. What the ****?

Did amazing on the rescue Emmerich mission. Not seen once, took out loads of guards silently. Disabled all communications and air support equipment etc.

Anyway I accidentally left the mission area (which I didn't know you could do) while running from the 'thing' and it's taken me all the way back to the power plant and the first cutscenes there. That's absolutely awful game design. It could have at least asked me if I wanted to quit to mission.

So angry at this right now :/

you surely were warned about leaving the area, the screen glitches and ocelot/Kaz start telling you you are leaving the area, which you cannot

I'm with you that Solid is the man and all, but he bare knuckle brawl did jack shit to save the world. Fight was over at that point, it was just two old men punching it out just because they had nothing left to do.

Still, a pretty great end to a real mixed bag of a game.

I disagree, while I think Big Boss is the better snake, that fight at the top was to settle the score between Liquid and Solid with the already known finale

1>3>4>2>PW>5>PO

Yeah, V is a great game, but it's one of my least favorites in the series for reasons I'm not even going to bother getting into. I'm not done yet, early chapter 2 but I don't think much will change at this point. Also not including online otherwise 4 would probably be my favorite in the series.

I agree with this as well.

I'd have to say:

3 > 4 (come at me) > 1 > V > 2

The reality is a freaking love MGS2 and would say it's at least a 95/100 game. So, you know, it's not like V is bad when you think about it. Still, the fact that some elements of the game are near-perfection that it really makes the poor areas of the game stand out.

malfcn

Finished 16 some his with improv shenanigans.

Why would you want a riot smg over the tranq pistol? I sunk gmp into it before realizing it's a secondary weapon.

I have done all 10 wandering mother base missions how do I
get the final cut scene for Paz?
If you've already handed her the respective ten photos from each extraction mission, you should be able to conclude her side-quest by retrieving another picture stuck along
the hallway way leading to her room

wiibomb

Big Boss is a coward and MGS4, PW and MGSV establish that BB only got to where he is because of the people around him - EVA, Ocelot, Miller, Huey etc. He wouldn't have established shit without them. Solid Snake infiltrates both of BB's bases and defeats all of his personnel before beating him. Then after the legend of Big Boss dies and Solid Snake begins, instead of turning against the world like BB did, he seclude shimself from the world only to be forced back into the ring by an old friend and then beats his borhter and his former unit comprised of the world's elite. SS has beaten more odds than BB ever did (and more Metal Gears). BB is a crybaby that misses his mommy.

you could say Solid was also beaten up and played by the people around him, as Big Boss, but Big Boss instead on following the path of death from Solid, went further and evolved in subsequently walking to top those around him by trying to conquer the world through Kaz's vision...

and I still think Big Boss has lots and lost more knowledge than Solid, Solid know just so few and is always left behind in other's plots, aaaand well, beside, I deeply love the story that drove Big Boss to where he is, makes a better lore for me than Solid

still, this is just a merely personal opinion

Jyrii

Banned
Anyway I accidentally left the mission area (which I didn't know you could do) while running from the 'thing' and it's taken me all the way back to the power plant and the first cutscenes there. That's absolutely awful game design. It could have at least asked me if I wanted to quit to mission.

Yep, that happened to me also. Was in a full gallop on D-Horse and before I could slow down I was transfered out.

you could say Solid was also beaten up and played by the people around him, as Big Boss, but Big Boss instead on following the path of death from Solid, went further and evolved in subsequently walking to top those around him by trying to conquer the world through Kaz's vision...

and I still think Big Boss has lots and lost more knowledge than Solid, Solid know just so few and is always left behind in other's plots, aaaand well, beside, I deeply love the story that drove Big Boss to where he is, makes a better lore for me than Solid

still, this is just a merely personal opinion

That's the thing though, it's not even BB's vision anymore, but someone else's. That's what I don't like about these later games, when in MG1 and MG2 it was obviously ALL Big Boss and MGS1 and MGS2 further restate that. They've made BB look weaker through these later games, imo.

And no, Solid Snake stopped being told what to do by the time of MGS2, with Philanthropy an organisation he established to bring down Metal Gears across the globe. He wasn't manipulated anymore there.

Is the progression such in this game that I won't get the best stuff until after I beat the game without grinding?

I'm halfway through Chapter 2 I think, and I'm just now about to be able to get the 4-Star Tranq Pistol. Feels like I'm lagging behind progression-wise and need to go on a fulton-grind.

Note: The Boss would kick the fuck out of BB and snake. She was holding back in the last fight of mgs3 because she knew she had to die to protect her country and complete her mission.

How Kojima went from that near-perfect depiction of female strength to the sexist brain fart of quiet's appearance (she's a great character made to dress like a pillock for his titilation) is baffling to me.

heringer

No wonder this game takes dozens of hours to complete. Most of it is repetitive missions, traveling large distances, waiting around for the heli to arrive and to take off, etc.

Had they cut a lot of the fat the pacing would be so much better.

Note: The Boss would kick the fuck out of BB and snake. She was holding back in the last fight of mgs3 because she knew she had to die to protect her country and complete her mission.

How Kojima went from that near-perfect depiction of female strength to the sexist brain fart of quiet's appearance (she's a great character made to dress like a pillock for his titilation) is baffling to me.

Solid Snake? Maybe. Big Boss? C'mon, he's not naked Snake anymore. That was his early days.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
My FOB still hasn't been invaded yet...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mine hasn't either. And my defense rating just keeps going up.

Or maybe I don't know where to check. Dos the game tell you automatically you've been invaded?

cyress8

Banned
Finished 16 some his with improv shenanigans.

Why would you want a riot smg over the tranq pistol? I sunk gmp into it before realizing it's a secondary weapon.

For loud runs with no kills. My loadout #2 has it along with a stun rifle and tranq rifle. Fulton out a ton of men within minutes thanks to my loadout #2 and Quiet sniping.

Ishida

Banned
I feel confident in calling this the best game in the series. At over 90hrs it's objectively given me more good times than any other Metal Gear.

V

Didn't have a PS3 so never played 4.

Big Boss >>>> Solid Snake while we're it

Definitely not after this game.

wiibomb

The Boss is one of the best characters in all time.. MGS3 and Peace Walker confirmed that, and I chose her above anyone in MG saga.

I'm just sad to see we will never see the proper game Kojima wanted to make for her

Finally played mission
and got all S rank at the same time.

I don't know what to think of it honestly. I didn't hate that kind of twist, it's fun but it's not smart stuff :p

So I read that you can get D-Dog after mission 10, is that true? I mean, he's at my base waiting to grow up basically. Is it based on specifically mission 10 or is it a certain number of missions you do?

Spinluck

I agree with this as well.

I'd have to say:

3 > 4 (come at me) > 1 > V > 2

The reality is a freaking love MGS2 and would say it's at least a 95/100 game. So, you know, it's not like V is bad when you think about it. Still, the fact that some elements of the game are near-perfection that it really makes the poor areas of the game stand out.

4 was mostly crap, overrated PS3 exclusive. 3 and 1 were the best MGS games before 5, but 5 makes them all feel like terds in comparison.

MGS1 was still one of my best gaming experiences ever. MGS2 was great at the time too though. MGS5 is the quintessential MGS game for me from a gameplay standpoint.

Kiko

So I read that you can get D-Dog after mission 10, is that true? I mean, he's at my base waiting to grow up basically. Is it based on specifically mission 10 or is it a certain number of missions you do?

I think for me it was after 9. But I do a lot of SideOps. Not sure if its connected..

CHC

I did countless missions, destroying storages full of helmets, body armors etc but everywhere I go, those fuckers are still wearing helmets, armor and so on.

258.gif

Yeah it seems like none of my attemtps to foil enemies EVER work, really. Every fucking time I destroy the comms, it's like "CP CP come in come in" and it turns out I missed one or something. It's really annoying.

MGS2 > MGSPW > MGS > MGS3 > MGS4 > MG2SS > MGSV > MG

I still absolutely love the game and would play it over anything else - no questions asked - but as of right now, of the Metal Gear Solid games, this is my least favorite.

Voyevoda

To me, 3>V TPP>1>V GZ>4>2>PW

V TPP should have been best game ever, game of the gen, best MGS if it was actually finished, if it had a conclusion. Because what is there is really amazing, and, from a gameplay point of view is, without a doubt, the best MGS game ever, and one of the best stealth games as of today.

Still, this lack of real ending prevents it from being the best ever, and MGS 3 will still remain my favourite. My favourite game since 2005.

sikkinixx

Kinda burning out on this 45 hours and 31% completion in. The vast majority of my soldiers are As or higher, everything is at least 3/4 at Mother Base (fucking fuel takes SO FUCKING LONG to process...), all the side ops I can do are done, at mission 20.

I guess I should just crank through missions... but I hate Africa (except for the Oil plant mission) and find myself either a) using Quiet to neutralize everything while I distract or mop up or b) say "fuck it" go in heavy and wreck every dude I find while using Quiet as a distraction rather than proper stealth.

It was my issue with MGS4, that because brute force is a viable option moreso than past games plus being able to drop in more rockets whenever I want or roll in with tanks or with D-Walker there feels little incentive to play deliberate .

Durden77

Are the side ops that show as still doable after you finish them a glitch? Because if it is it's really annoying and I wish it would get fixed.

Ame

For me : 3 > 4 > V > PW > 2 > 1

I would love a remake of MG1 & 2.

But that will never happen right ?

After MGSV, I really want a remake of MG1 & 2. So much more to be told about Solid Snake's early years and rise to legendary status. It could still happen, it just won't be a Hideo Kojima game.

Yeah but I only had to do 3 or 4 side ops to get to Missions
45 and 46.

I had to do 5 as well. I wasn't very happy that I had to do that though. Very stupid that you have to do those repetitive ass side-ops in order to progress the story.

Got it on 360, played 3%, bought an xbox one and now I have a hard time going back to that console. :(

At this point, I just dust the 360 off to play RDR once a year or so. Hope to see that BC sooner than later.

Voyevoda

After MGSV, I really want a remake of MG1 & 2. So much more to be told about Solid Snake's early years and rise to legendary status. It could still happen, it just won't be a Hideo Kojima game.

Aww yiiissss. A rethinking of 1 and 2 with TPP's bases/GZ level design and V's gameplay in one game, I would like that very much (but no forced open world, juste a big base - Outer Heaven/Zanzibar Land - with a good "open" level design, that allows multiple approach like V).

Hypron

Yeah but I only had to do 3 or 4 side ops to get to Missions
45 and 46.

Do you only have to do the yellow ones?

I'm doing all the side-ops as they come along (I'm close to 120 done right now - I completed about 20 in
chapter 2
so far) and I still haven't unlocked
45 and 46
. The only side-op that I have left to do in this batch is the
first child rescue one

Do you only have to do the yellow ones?

I'm doing all the side-ops as they come along (I'm close to 120 done right now - I completed about 20 in
chapter 2
so far) and I still haven't unlocked
45 and 46
. The only side-op that I have left to do in this batch is the
first child rescue one

Yeah, yellow are the important ones.

Top Bottom