• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Can you do anything with the captured
Walkers
that you fulton?

You can only deploy with
D-Walker
from what I can tell. Does having the other ones in your inventory help you at all in any way? Or should I just sell them for cold hard GMB?

They might be used for later combat deployments, I'm not sure though.

You haven't seen my max security FOB with A+ and higher rank guards who are properly positioned and there are multiple platforms for each strut type. It's really the multiple platforms which makes it super difficult since it also allows you to have more guards which means the chances of you reaching the final strut with no alerts is almost zero.

Sounds pretty tight. Have you tested it out yourself to make sure you plugged all the potential holes?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But no, you only get those options on certain "repeat" missions because they're filler.

They'd be filler if you had to do them, but you absolutely don't need to.

Also, certain missions lend themselves to particular specialty restrictions more than others.

Randam

I did countless missions, destroying storages full of helmets, body armors etc but everywhere I go, those fuckers are still wearing helmets, armor and so on.

258.gif

They might be used for later combat deployments, I'm not sure though.

They are...or you can sell them. Too bad you cant use them while on a mission with Quiet or DDog, like you can with other vehicles.

Duh.. I didn't think of the combat deployments. Guess I'll keep a few of each type around.

Yeah I was hoping I could call one in mid-mission and use it along with a buddy. No idea why you shouldn't be able to since you can capture them in-game and use them that way.

muteki

Don't understand the Mission 16 hate. Are they being alerted to you as soon as they spawn?

I crawled up to the the vehicle, then they popped out, but didn't agro to me. So I backed up a bit. Called in a rocket launcher supply drop, and wrecked them. Didn't die once.

Spoilers I guess for 16:

Is there any point in following the armored vehicles early on in the mission after you have already done that part and died so you know where the truck is?

Is there anything preventing you from just heading straight to the airport?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
how many?

Depends on the level of the deployment.

2-20 but you need that to make AND deploy it everytime you deploy with it.

Spoilers I guess for 16:

Is there any point in following the armored vehicles early on in the mission after you have already done that part and died so you know where the truck is?

No, nothing is preventing you from doing that. In fact one of the side objectives/"listening" will start there before you follow. But for a fast S-rank you can land and run over there and start the mission proper.

malfcn

Spoilers I guess for 16:

I found it on the road, but airport.
Also how do they know to follow you around even if undetected.

Just got my first 'S' Rank and I didn't even think what I did was that special, haha.

It was an early mission where I had to find and kill 3 high ranking dudes. The first guy I knew his route so I put some C4 down and blew up his jeep as he drove over it (almost killing myself in the secondary explosion of the jeep, haha).

Then I went to the village the other 2 went to and sneaked around for a while until I stumbled on both of them getting into a jeep. I didn't even realize it was them until the guy on the radio said they were heading out, so I whipped out my grenade launcher and blew them up too. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
deploy?
sounded like you need precious metal to develope it in the first place.

Yes, deploy.

IE: If you're going to play a mission, the "sortie" screen is the deployment. You pick those items
Stealth, Hand of Jehuty, special stuff
and they REQUIRE Precious Metal as a deployment cost along with the GMP.

Look at your deployment cost next time you're in that screen. You need flowers/fuel/etc. for certain items on deployment depending on the level of the item used.

This is in addition to the development cost that requires some to make the item. But once that's done there's a deployment cost to use it.

justjim89

Solid Snake is so much better than Big Boss. Especially after what we learn about Big Boss in this game.

3>2>4>1>V for me at the moment. We'll see how time colors my perception.

wiibomb

Solid Snake is so much better than Big Boss. Especially after what we learn about Big Boss in this game.

3>2>4>1>V for me at the moment. We'll see how time colors my perception.

whaaaat.. haven't finished this game (I'm still a long way from that), but Big Boss had such a amazing and complex story compared to Solid Snake (which, for me, was just the good guy that gets the job done and nothing more)

Panzon

How do I find out the rank of a soldier before I futon him?

I got 4 of them on the 3rd mission but the highest rank was C. I want at least an A or S

I got 4 of them on the 3rd mission but the highest rank was C. I want at least an A or S

You upgrade your bino's as the game moves along. They let you see what rank and skills a person has. Takes a while to get the top tier people.

wiibomb

been clearing outposts with cqc+non leathal grenades and doge. ridiculous but fun. sprinting to stragglers and knocking them out with my fist.

make sure you destroy the coms, the power supply and the anti-air radar..

that way they will be "half naked" next time you visit (not literally)

you need to upgrade the binoculars, after an upgrade or 2 your will start seeing the rank of the scanned soldier..

the more the rank of the soldier, the more upgrades you will need to see that rank, for example, you won't be able to see a S+ rank soldier right away, you need an upgrade for that, else, that rank in that area will appear as ???

Panzon

Thanks guys. i'm having so much fun with the game so far and am only on the 4th mission even though I've put in about 12 hours between today and yesterday

No, nothing is preventing you from doing that. In fact one of the side objectives/"listening" will start there before you follow. But for a fast S-rank you can land and run over there and start the mission proper.

This is true. On mission 16 ignore everything and leg it round the back of the airport, theres a gap in the barbed wire fence you can hop over. Immediately ignore the skulls, fulton the truck, call d-horse and run like hell out of the hot zone.

Easiest s-rank in the whole game.

wiibomb

Thanks guys. i'm having so much fun with the game so far and am only on the 4th mission even though I've put in about 12 hours between today and yesterday

by the way, you will never find a A+ or S rank solider so early in the game, you need more heroism and more missions to find someone like that

And those of us who played MG1 and MG2 know that Solid Snake is the one who is better than Big Boss. :)

I played both and don't know why you are saying this.. in fact, Solid Snake is played like a damn fiddle by Big Boss..

a fight doesn't determine who's "better"

I feel confident in calling this the best game in the series. At over 90hrs it's objectively given me more good times than any other Metal Gear.

V

Didn't have a PS3 so never played 4.

Big Boss >>>> Solid Snake while we're it

1>3>4>2>PW>5>PO

Yeah, V is a great game, but it's one of my least favorites in the series for reasons I'm not even going to bother getting into. I'm not done yet, early chapter 2 but I don't think much will change at this point. Also not including online otherwise 4 would probably be my favorite in the series.

wiibomb

1>3>4>2>PW>5>PO

Yeah, V is a great game, but it's one of my least favorites in the series for reasons I'm not even going to bother getting into. I'm not done yet, early chapter 2 but I don't think much will change at this point. Also not including online otherwise 4 would probably be my favorite in the series.

we don't know online for MGSV still.. it's being launched until october, and I'm pretty sure it will be a hell of a ride since MGSV controls so well

JackelZXA

interesting. I was looking at trials in the menu and all of the retread missions in chapter 2 are at the bottom of the list, not in the episode numbering that they are in the mission selector. they're all underneath even the normal chapter 2 missions that are ??? for me

justjim89

If Konami isn't too busy running spas and gyms and pachinko machines and being the yakuza I think I'm more than ready for someone other than Kojima to write an MGS story. They can keep most of the gameplay here maybe narrow the scope and focus more on infiltrating facilities and not all fultoning, but there's no way someone else could do a worse job in a narrative sense.

muteki

1>3>2>4 for me. Haven't played much of Peacewalker yet, V is trending to be just above or below 3 for me.

I really like the top down/stealth enforced/story of 1. 3 is great too but 1 edges it out for me.

Durden77

Question about a situation on Mother Base after mission 25..

I had to leave right when this quarantine stuff started. I missed what they said about who can't get infected and it's not in my log because I had to shut off the system. Did they say only males can be infected?

Also, could someone let me know if I'm on the right track for this? From what I can tell it's 3 languages that all the people in the quarantine have in comon...

Alienous

Question about a situation on Mother Base after mission 25..

I had to leave right when this quarantine stuff started. I missed what they said about who can't get infected and it's not in my log because I had to shut off the system. Did they say only males can be infected?

Also, could someone let me know if I'm on the right track for this? From what I can tell it's 3 languages that all the people in the quarantine have in comon...

All of your infected speak at least 3 languages?

Qwell

If Konami isn't too busy running spas and gyms and pachinko machines and being the yakuza I think I'm more than ready for someone other than Kojima to write an MGS story. They can keep most of the gameplay here maybe narrow the scope and focus more on infiltrating facilities and not all fultoning, but there's no way someone else could do a worse job in a narrative sense.
+1 for this ... except the fulton, keep that thing its the best. But yah I was a little cold at the beginning WTF
at exploding fire guy and floating person and flaming whale
then I get into the meat and potatoes and It's all great and I'm having a ton of fun playing a military stealth action game and then bam
undead zombie skull soldiers that can leap any distance and throw exploding rocks at you,
would love a nice straight military coup style MGS game, something where the world
isn't afraid of one bi-pedal robot that would strike fear into the world yet one guy with a rocket launcher and 6 minutes can kill.

Holy ****ing shit. What the ****?

Did amazing on the rescue Emmerich mission. Not seen once, took out loads of guards silently. Disabled all communications and air support equipment etc.

Anyway I accidentally left the mission area (which I didn't know you could do) while running from the 'thing' and it's taken me all the way back to the power plant and the first cutscenes there. That's absolutely awful game design. It could have at least asked me if I wanted to quit to mission.

So angry at this right now :/

+1 for this ... except the fulton, keep that thing its the best. But yah I was a little cold at the beginning WTF
at exploding fire guy and floating person and flaming whale
then I get into the meat and potatoes and It's all great and I'm having a ton of fun playing a military stealth action game and then bam
undead zombie skull soldiers that can leap any distance and throw exploding rocks at you,
would love a nice straight military coup style MGS game, something where the world
isn't afraid of one bi-pedal robot that would strike fear into the world yet one guy with a rocket launcher and 6 minutes can kill.

Fuck that. Metal Gear's wackiness is what makes it Metal Gear. I've always felt that the appeal of Metal Gear is that it's in some ways outsider art. It's the mish-mash of the intrigue of western spy thrillers with the over the top spectacle and zaniness of anime that gives Metal Gear it's identity.

JackelZXA

Holy ****ing shit. What the ****?

Did amazing on the rescue Emmerich mission. Not seen once, took out loads of guards silently. Disabled all communications and air support equipment etc.

Anyway I accidentally left the mission area (which I didn't know you could do) while running from the 'thing' and it's taken me all the way back to the power plant and the first cutscenes there. That's absolutely awful game design. It could have at least asked me if I wanted to quit to mission.

So angry at this right now :/

doesn't the screen start to get a glitch narrowed effect while miller says "Boss, you're leaving the mission area"?

Cathcart

Lol Big Boss ain't shit. Solid Snake crawled through a microwave tunnel and then fought on top of Arsenal Gear in a barenuckle brawl to save the world.
I'm with you that Solid is the man and all, but he bare knuckle brawl did jack shit to save the world. Fight was over at that point, it was just two old men punching it out just because they had nothing left to do.

Still, a pretty great end to a real mixed bag of a game.

Top Bottom