• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

A few pages back are some easy ways to 'cheese' the mission and get a solid S ranking.

It got me good a few times before I just said "f this" and tried the easy way out.

thanks, i'll check it out.

the problem i find with this game is when there are non stealth areas i don't enjoy the game at all.

heringer

To me 4 is the best combination of great gameplay, modern controls and the heavy handed story we've come to expect. Sure, it's dumb, but it's exciting as hell, and old Snake rocks.

Haven't finished TPP yet, but so far I would say 4 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 2 > PW.

JackelZXA

I'm thinking that if I do a second playthrough from New Game (Starting with GZ obv) where I don't clear out side ops and just focus on main story if it might be a good idea to put off doing the Wandering Mother Base guys
paz storyline
until Chapter 2 to minimize how much time I spend not doing main story stuff (Since those are basically the only white colored side ops that have a
story quest associated with them
)

t_berta

Neo Member
Which are the same missions as before. Rescue Motherbase soldier number 8 is no more fun than the first 7 times you do it.

So approach it differently. I normally try to be stealthy, last night I went full riot Snake armed with a shield and guns firing rubber bullets.

Roni

Yeah it seems like none of my attemtps to foil enemies EVER work, really. Every fucking time I destroy the comms, it's like "CP CP come in come in" and it turns out I missed one or something. It's really annoying.

Disabling external communications cuts the outpost from the HQ, not the CP. The CP is local.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The thing about this game is, the more you play it, the more fun it gets.

As you level up and get better gear, so does the enemy, so often going back to stuff you won quickly and easily can be a whole other experience later on.

Some of the higher level side-ops are actually far more interesting to play than they sound. Enemies start laying mines, traps, and ambushes requiring you to think of the most effective route to take down the target.

Its absolutely outstanding, and steadily creeping past Bloodborne as my personal goty.

tensuke

Are the side ops that show as still doable after you finish them a glitch? Because if it is it's really annoying and I wish it would get fixed.

No. That means there are no new side ops available for that section of the map at that point in time. So it just gives you the last one available.

Panzon

I can't seem to get an A rank after the 2nd mission. I always alert the guards even when it feels like I marked the entire area

Any tips on how to be...stealthier?

Chariot

I can't seem to get an A rank after the 2nd mission. I always alert the guards even when it feels like I marked the entire area

Any tips on how to be...stealthier?
Hug the ground, or come later again when you have better suits. Sneaking suit is really a darling. Oh and one buddy or another will help you marking enemies, making you immune to the fatal sudden guard.

DeSolos

Yeah it seems like none of my attemtps to foil enemies EVER work, really. Every fucking time I destroy the comms, it's like "CP CP come in come in" and it turns out I missed one or something. It's really annoying.

Destroy the blue radio boxes instead(only one in a base) instead of the antenna. That disrupts coms. Also they'll still use the radio to call CP, but they won't call for backup from HQ.

Loomba

End game spoiler question:
why does Zero want to save BIg Boss and do all that to save him? I thought they were enemies

Durden77

No. That means there are no new side ops available for that section of the map at that point in time. So it just gives you the last one available.

I'm confused... I have like 15 side ops that have white spheres next to them but they're already complete. And they seem kind of random except for the target practice stuff.

3 > everything else for me. it strikes the best gameplay to story balance. i also love all protagonists in there.

for gameplay alone, i'd usually choose the latest mainline MGS. i like every MG. portable ops was great too.

Chariot

End game spoiler question:
why does Zero want to save BIg Boss and do all that to save him? I thought they were enemies
Ya, didn't listen properly to the tapes it seems.
Zero always liked Big Boss and after he was infected he wanted to make quick peace with him, since his time was running out. The whole story gets better if you view it in the context of a yaoi slashfic.

Muffdraul

One of several little niggling design choices they should have thought harder about. I see absolutely no benefit or even point to that, it just clutters up the sideops menu.

jesus christ, almost had a god damn heart attack. During a mission a notification came up saying something like cant create save file and I needed to delete my save file. I am at 96% overall completion. I pressed pause and it crashed my game. Thankfully everything seems to be fine going back in
It should be backed up to the cloud anyway if something local gets corrupted.
Well, on steam at least

Afrodium

Banned
I really don't mind doing the modified missions in Chapter 2. I think they're a lot of fun. Doing C2W without any explosives (mortar in a sandstorm, baby) or the total stealth variant of the mission where you blow up the walker gears were some of the most tense and rewarding missions I've played in the game so far.

LOL.... that happened to me earlier. But the donkey ran me over instead while i was running around in the jungle. Near the waterfalls. hahahaha stupid ass.

Hahahahaha! I spent so long in free roam today that stuff like this kept happening. The game is so fun.

4 was mostly crap, overrated PS3 exclusive. 3 and 1 were the best MGS games before 5, but 5 makes them all feel like terds in comparison.

MGS1 was still one of my best gaming experiences ever. MGS2 was great at the time too though. MGS5 is the quintessential MGS game for me from a gameplay standpoint.

No argument from me in re gameplay. MGS V is near-perfection for how the game feels.

However, it's not like the previous games had bad gameplay by any stretch. Hell, I'd argue some of those games had amazing gameplay for their time. The problem here, for me, is the story and structure is just so...poorly laid out and lacks the "umph" of the series that some of us diehards have come to know and love.

I won't get into it here, but I think the spoiler thread has a pretty good hive mind going on over there.

brau

I really don't mind doing the modified missions in Chapter 2. I think they're a lot of fun. Doing C2W without any explosives (mortar in a sandstorm, baby) or the total stealth variant of the mission where you blow up the walker gears were some of the most tense and rewarding missions I've played in the game so far.

I enjoy the procure your weapons on site missons. really encouraged me to improvise, more than rely on my already established set of weapons.

Agreed. lots of fun.

Hahahahaha! I spent so long in free roam today that stuff like this kept happening. The game is so fun.

Sure is haha. Many random moments.

fritzo

No argument from me in re gameplay. MGS V is near-perfection for how the game feels.

However, it's not like the previous games had bad gameplay by any stretch. Hell, I'd argue some of those games had amazing gameplay for their time. The problem here, for me, is the story and structure is just so...poorly laid out and lacks the "umph" of the series that some of us diehards have come to know and love.

I won't get into it here, but I think the spoiler thread has a pretty good hive mind going on over there.

Its unfinished. It just feels like stuff was left on the cutting room floor. Its not terrible by any stretch, it's just the ending wasn't as impact full as it should've been.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I did countless missions, destroying storages full of helmets, body armors etc but everywhere I go, those fuckers are still wearing helmets, armor and so on.

Don't bother. Shoot them once in the leg or ass. Wait a few minutes while shooting the others around the base in the same area. Done.

Lunar15

I'm seriously fed up with people going on about the story. Some of the Steam reviews are embarrassing to say the least. The story doesn't matter.

I'm 60 hours in and still don't give two shits about the story, I'm making my own ones up every time I go out to do something. There's tension, hilarity and straight up action hero coolness almost every time. It's more about the sheer joy of playing this game, that's what makes it so good. Just forget the story guys.

Actually, aside from my quip about the story beats, I'm largely referring to the gameplay. I don't care that much about story as long as the game is fun, and it is, but it's also wrapped in a really dumb system that simply wastes a lot of time.

If it was just story, I could get over it. For me, however, it's a whole slew of issues that are holding me back from heaping lavish praise all over it. The stealth game play is fantastic and Snake's controls and tools are the best they've ever been. But the open world is nigh pointless and the episodic nature is crippling. Not to mention, I just think that great gameplay is stretched far too thin over a ton of filler, not even including side ops. I'm invading the same base over and over and over and over again, and while they say enemies adapt, they really don't. All of the changes happened regardless of the tatics I used, and I never really had an incentive to change my tactics since the game always rewards non-lethality due to the fact that you'll want to fulton a decent amount of soldiers.

The mission design takes a slight nosedive in chapter 2, which is unfortunate as chapter 1 has some great set pieces. Also, a lot of side-ops are super easy and are designed to be done in succession in the open world, but the game's design just doesn't really allow for that. Sure, you can fast travel via the box system, but what if you want to have Quiet instead of the horse to get around? You can go get a vehicle or swap them out via the idroid, but all of it takes time. Like I said, it's a game that wastes a lot of time. Especially in building base parts. It's egregious. Nothing should take more than an hour to build. Another great example is how, after doing all the wandering mother base soldiers missions in quick succession, the game forced me to leave mother base and return each time I wanted to initiate the next cutscene relating to that storyline.

Anywho, the game's still great and it's really just nitpicking at this point. But I just wanted to point out that the story, while disappointing, isn't the source of my issues with the game. In fact, I'd say it bothers me far less than other people in here.

On a side note, there's some large similarities between this game and Destiny. The core gameplay mechanics are amazing, but the grinding, structure, and monetization practices are highly questionable and detract from the experience.

I'm seriously fed up with people going on about the story. Some of the Steam reviews are embarrassing to say the least. The story doesn't matter.

I'm 60 hours in and still don't give two shits about the story, I'm making my own ones up every time I go out to do something. There's tension, hilarity and straight up action hero coolness almost every time. It's more about the sheer joy of playing this game, that's what makes it so good. Just forget the story guys.

Forget the story for a series that has been known for, and essentially created, the cinematic story experience? No thanks, not for me.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Guys, a couple of simple questions:
Guys that I put to sleep can wake up by their own or just if someone wake them u?
Any problems doing all the side missions of an area at once?
Am I supposed to fulton as many soldiers as I can?

Guys that I put to sleep can wake up by their own or just if someone wake them u?

1.They will wake up on their own after a certain period of time.
2.No, tho sometimes new side ops in the area will open up only if you go back to the chopper, and some side ops can take place in the same zone, for those you have to go back to the chopper.
3.Yes, until you reach a certain point, when you're looking for high ranking soldiers only, although you should avoid guys with the troublemaker trait if you can, especially early on.

brau

They will wake up, even if someone doesn't wake them up.

No problems. Feel free to do as many side ops as you see around.

You can get an upgrade on your binoculars, to get a reading on the soldiers you look at. Ranking them. So its easy to pin point who you would like to fulton. Personally... i fulton mostly everybody lol. Avoid troublemakers tho.

Im 20hrs in and enjoying it a lot.

I have done 9 out of 11 of the first missions and about 20 side-ops. I pretty much do all the side ops I can before I do the next mission.

I was never one who fully understood the story in MGS, despite playing all of them and loving all of them except Peacewalker.

This one and MGS3 are my favourites in the series. MGS3 feels like a much more tight story and had me engaged in the story the whole game. This one has the best gameplay and I feel like it is the right difficulty for me. I generally try to stealth and then when I get spotted, I just go all out Rambo on them.

I read in here about doing mission 10 before 6, so I did and
I was pretty happy about bumping into the Quiet shootout mission while on my way to a side op location.

When can I start using D-dog and Quiet? It seems D-dog has not even grown in the last five or missions I have done.

Shauni

Does anyone have a picture of what the "Demon Snake" status looks like in-game? I'll get there eventually when I do a Nuke, but I'm just curious what it looks like.

eso76

Frak that after episode 25
quarantine
management.

Everybody
fucking speaks kikongo

Hundreds.

Kojima isnt new to forcing managing stuff "manually"
like throwing away stuff on fire from your inventory in mg2
but that took me a solid 40 mins and was rather idiotic.

bender

What time is it?
So weird, the final platform upgrade for my mother base will not finish. The construction progress bar is full and no time is remaining. Wonder if this is a bug?

I just made it to the fight with (Mission 31)
Sahelantropus

Guess what happened. An 7,9 Earthquake started here in Chile. My first thought was that I must have been too inmersed in the fight, but then I realized that I should turn off the console and proceed to safety lol

In true Kojima fashion, "I'm alright"

Lynx_7

That's pretty much how I feel about it too, but I guess I can't fault other fans of the series for being too invested in the MG universe. At first, back when we only had some early impressions, I was also disappointed with the fact that it seemed like the story would be taking a backseat, because I honestly hoped this would be the one to tie it all up, maybe even have some surprises like some were theorizing, like seeing Snake at the end and just Kojima going out with a bang in general. He did go out with a bang, but only gameplay-wise, since as far as story goes it really did underdeliver on its promises. Thankfully I got over it pretty quickly when I saw that the game simply didn't want to be what I expected it would be.

Shauni

Sahelantropus

Guess what happened. An 7,9 Earthquake started here in Chile. My first thought was that I must have been too inmersed in the fight, but then I realized that I should turn off the console and proceed to safety lol

All part of Kojima's marketing, obviously.

J.EM1

Sahelantropus

lol! Reminds me of the time I was playing MGS3 at the The Sorrow's battle. Started raining in game and then started raining outside my room.

Top Bottom