• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

ramyeon

So even though I've beaten the story I just can't stop playing. I really just stuck with the basic tranq pistol and tranq sniper the whole way through so now I'm having SO much fun just developing a bunch of cool weapons, playing around with some of the more outrageous stuff and just doing missions and side ops in completely different ways than I approached them first time around. So good.

So if I complete the game.

Can I remove the butterfly from my emblem and still keep her, or will it trigger her mission?

From what I understand,
if you're at the point in the game where Quiet's last mission should appear (Episode 45), taking off the Butterfly emblem is going to trigger the mission. You can keep the Butterfly as long as you want, so you never actually have to let her go, but if you want the Trophies and want to play the mission, you've gotta lose the Butterfly and lose Quiet.

Removing it will probably trigger her leaving next time you complete a Side Op or return to mother base, best to do everything you want to do in the game with Quiet still available (S ranks, mission tasks etc) before removing that butterfly from the emblem

From what I understand,
if you're at the point in the game where Quiet's last mission should appear (Episode 45), taking off the Butterfly emblem is going to trigger the mission. You can keep the Butterfly as long as you want, so you never actually have to let her go, but if you want the Trophies and want to play the mission, you've gotta lose the Butterfly and lose Quiet.

That's annoying.

Thank you both.

fritzo

did they just announce costume dlc on the TGS stream?

CPEvU8MUkAE2BAk.png:medium

CPEvUxIUAAAvPUD.png:medium

CPEvVIaUAAExDzu.png:medium

CPE_r7rUYAA9bp7.png:medium

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I chose Scout but nothing.. she wont mark enemies. i'm doing all the work. She's worthless compared to DD.

Uh, she totally DOES mark enemies. Not all but any in the open that she sees while rotating around an outpost or base she'll mark for you. She isn't meant to be a wallhax like Diamond Dog. She's meant to back YOU up. If you get spotted by someone and she's in a position to take the shot, she'll take the shot during reflex if you don't take the enemy out thereby helping you stay out of an alert.

If you allow her to scout a base before hand she'll see 60-90% of enemies. She won't be able to see Prisoners unless they're in the open. Even then simply interrogating a guard will allow you to find the prisoner or remaining guards.

Throw her a "Quiet(Attack)" to position her for backup sniping position for helping YOU out.

Throw her into "COVER ME" for her to one-man army the enemy base while giving you the ability to back HER up in addition to sneaking by while everyone in the base is focused on her.

Diamond Dog can't do that. He can take ONE enemy out but he can't "suppress" freak out the enemy into the point where EVERYONE in that base focuses on him like Quiet.

Hopefully not since all of those are in disc and people have already found the meshes on the PC version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I just unlocked the Medical platform and went into the open door. A big WTF from me.
So basically retconning what happened in Ground Zeroes? If they wanted to keep Paz in the game for MGSV, I don't see why they didn't just let her live in Ground Zeroes to begin with (unless it was just for some shock/drama).

Keep playing. You'll find out more about this.

Tried defending a dude's FOB and fought a guy who could apparently take multiple shotgun and rocket hits yet had no problem one-shotting me and took down a fully loaded 4 cell base. I've asked this multiple times when playing Dark Souls and I'll ask it again here: Why do people cheat like this? What do you even gain? The guy put every soldier to sleep then would instantly kill me no matter where I spawned. How is this considered fun for anyone?

Xiraiya

CPEvU8MUkAE2BAk.png:medium

CPEvUxIUAAAvPUD.png:medium

CPEvVIaUAAExDzu.png:medium

CPE_r7rUYAA9bp7.png:medium
Ah finally, the DLC outfits we saw listed in file names, now they just need to give the PC version the collector's edition stuff like Black Ocelot since it was only available on console.
You can actually make that stuff show up in-game but it crashes because there are no textures/models for anything

There will also be a MGS3 style "younger" Snake head option to go with that stuff by the way as it was shown in a trailer before release with the MGS3 Sneaking suit.

So I completed mission 31 last night. So many thoughts on this game. First of all, no complaints at all with the gameplay. It's even better than I hoped it would be. As for the story...I like what's there, but it never really goes in depth the way I would like for it to or the way I would have expected it. I guess it could change in Chapter 2, but it's not looking likely considering how everyone else has reacted to it so far. As it stands now, it feels like just a tease at what could have been. I'm left wondering whether this was intentional or some kind of concession that was made for budget concerns or to try and please the critics who were always complaining about the story sequences getting in the way of the game. It just doesn't feel like the complete story that Kojima wanted to tell.

On the positive side, I think the thing that impresses me the most is the animation of the characters, especially the faces. I love the way that Snake's face muscles twitch in response to the stress he experiences on the battlefield. I was on the chopper after a tough battle on one occasion, covered in blood, and I swear I saw Snake's temples pulsing. That level of detail is something I'd been hoping to see in games for a long time.
The motion capturing as well as the voice work, for what there was of it, was excellent. Especially for Miller and Huey.

And about Huey...
What an asshole. God it was so embarrassing when he had to run in and finish off Skullface to try and prove his loyalty to Big Boss. "Revenge!" I wonder if that's what Hal said to his stepmom just before Huey drowned himself in the pool...
I"M SORRY!

Quick

Banned
I finished Mission 6 and did a big chunk of the available side-ops (in order, I've done everything until the end of getting the sheep, plus the Mother Base gun training).

Got a question that relates to acquiring Quiet:

During Mission 5 and 6, I heard soldiers talking about a "naked woman" near the power plant. I'm assuming that's Quiet. Now that she's being brought up in-game, can I head over to the power plant to find her?

LiK

I finished Mission 6 and did a big chunk of the available side-ops (in order, I've done everything until the end of getting the sheep, plus the Mother Base gun training).

Got a question that relates to acquiring Quiet:

During Mission 5 and 6, I heard soldiers talking about a "naked woman" near the power plant. I'm assuming that's Quiet. Now that she's being brought up in-game, can I head over to the power plant to find her?

Don't worry about it. Just keep playing normally. That's all I will say.

Or if you really wanna know:

her encounter is unmissable. You'll encounter her eventually by doing the main missions.

Squishy3

meant to hold up this guy after i knocked him out, proceeded to shoot him with a lethal weapon by accident because i panicked and equipped my cardboard box as he was getting up after i kicked him, so i scrambled to equip something and ready it and managed to press lt and rt

JackelZXA

So I just unlocked the Medical platform and went into the open door. A big WTF from me.
So basically retconning what happened in Ground Zeroes? If they wanted to keep Paz in the game for MGSV, I don't see why they didn't just let her live in Ground Zeroes to begin with (unless it was just for some shock/drama).

If you look at Ground Zeroes ending again, you can see that there are parts where the camera cuts away from the action or zooms characters out of frame, and there's bits where they cut the audio. I kinda think the ground zeroes ending thing might have been a work from the start.

LiK

Fucking hell Hellwarden, spoiler tag story stuff. I think you spoiled it for me. Fuck man.

Edit: added to my ignore list cuz I will not stand for this shit.

Quick

Banned
Don't worry about it. Just keep playing normally. That's all I will say.

Or if you really wanna know:

her encounter is unmissable. You'll encounter her eventually by doing the main missions.

Thanks!

I thought I read somewhere that she might be a missable character. Good to know she isn't.

More thoughts so far:

I like the episodic feel to it. Really good way to pace myself, seeing as it'll probably take me some time to finish the game.

The open world has been both good and bad. I love the vastness and the randomness of it. At the same time, it feels really barren. I encountered a bear, that was the largest animal I've seen. Otherwise, sheep and goats, and DD.

I've been sticking mostly to my tranq gun or CQC, but there have been moments where I just want to get the mission over with, so I bust out my primary and go for the headshots for a quick kill. Hasn't affected my Heroism, as far as I know.

It's really fun Fultoning everything.

I beat all Side Ops and main missions, and I'm at 72%. What am I missing?

Do I have to develop all weapons/items?

Do I have to collect every animal? If so, is there a list somewhere on where to find them?

Do I have to collect all the blueprints? Again, is there a list of them all somewhere and where they are?

I'm sill missing six or so "key items". Again, list and whatever.

Posters? I'm missing the last 2.

Bsigg12

Do I have to collect every animal? If so, is there a list somewhere on where to find them?

Do I have to collect all the blueprints? Again, is there a list of them all somewhere and where they are?

Yea to all I believe. Just check out a wiki guide or something. It's all on the idroid though if you go to documents and encyclopedia to see what all stuff you've collected.

Edit: seems like development only need to hit 300 items.

MisterMac

Animals, Mission Tasks, S Ranks, Blue Prints. There is a list of how many things you collected in the Encyclopedia on your iDroid. Also the info for each mission shows which blue prints can be found in it, if any.

Chariot

No, only 300. It's like half to three fourth of them.

Yes. It's terrible with these Ultra rares. Most are found in capture cages. List in the guide.

Yes. In the guide.

Guide.

All around the world, just look in big bases, including your own.

LiK

Glad I just got that tape tonight..

i only read the first few words and skipped the rest. but that was enough to spoil it for me. i should've gone to bed. fucking spoilers. i was doing so well at avoiding them. i'll be back after i finish the damn game now.

JackelZXA

I mentioned it in the MGO thread, but I wanna restate that I think the addition of DLC outfits that were datamined from what people thought was cut content is a possible indicator that DLC is going to happen. Considering the base game is one of the best games of all time already, this is one case where I can't really find it in myself to object to additional story dlc, especially if they come with additional maps. (camp omega?)
If there's multiple maps, maybe chapter 2 is an indicator of how long we can expect a dlc chapter to be. Not a full gigantic mega campaign like chapter 1, but probably going to have their own map, probably no massive amount of chapters, and then probably some extra ops with unique challenge twists ontop of that.
I could be down for a few of those (or at least one) There was that rumor before launch about "five maps"...

schick85

I'm going to rephrase my question from the last page here. Has anyone faced huge obstacles that are game breaking when doing S-ranking runs on all missions without Quiet? Minor episode 45 spoilers:
I have a save file backed up 10 in-game hours ago. I'm contemplating whether I should go back to it and delay Quiet's departure or keep pressing on.
Thanks for the input.

KarmaCow

I'm going to rephrase my question from the last page here. Has anyone faced huge obstacles that are game breaking when doing S-ranking runs on all missions without Quiet? Minor episode 45 spoilers:
I have a save file backed up 10 in-game hours ago. I'm contemplating whether I should go back to it and delay Quiet's departure or keep pressing on.
Thanks for the input.

I haven't used Quiet in days now despite holding off on doing mission 45 to keep her. That said I still need to redo the mission where you first rescue the child soldiers for the side objectives and I think she would be useful for that final stretch but I'm just guessing. So no, she hasn't been really all that useful and I certainly wouldn't want to revert back 10 hours.

I was expecting fun from the subsistence missions, but they actually just suck. Half the fun of the game is messing around with all the stuff you get.

Also, lucky I went in this thread later I guess.

KarmaCow

I was expecting fun from the subsistence missions, but they actually just suck. Half the fun of the game is messing around with all the stuff you get.

Also, lucky I went in this thread later I guess.

I found it a nice change of pace considering how easily overpowered you can get. It was there that I first used the hold up CQC move.

Squishy3

I mentioned it in the MGO thread, but I wanna restate that I think the addition of DLC outfits that were datamined from what people thought was cut content is a possible indicator that DLC is going to happen. Considering the base game is one of the best games of all time already, this is one case where I can't really find it in myself to object to additional story dlc, especially if they come with additional maps. (camp omega?)
well, camp omega is one of the MGO maps, but i doubt that's what kojima meant when he said people'd be able to revisit it way long ago

Really sorry about that guys, I deserve those insults. Should have checked first.

I enjoy the gameplay, it's solid and polished to a sheen.

But it's also the type of gameplay that won't stick with me.

You know how in Metal Gear Solid you can probably walk through the entire game just on your memory? You know where the items are you need to get, where the bosses are, maybe even the differences between difficulties?

I won't be able to do that in month or two after playing V.

It'll become just a blur in my mind for the most part. It won't be memorable.

malfcn

Wow. Mission 20 got really creepy.

I am really interested with what is going on with
The Man on Fire and the Floating Boy.

Top Bottom