• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Corpsepyre

Banned
Guys, can you help me here? I read that one has to watch the cutscene where
Huey gets exiled, to unlock Quiet's finale
, but I can't seem to get it. Any suggestions how to trigger it?

Setsuna

did they just announce costume dlc on the TGS stream?

CPEvU8MUkAE2BAk.png:medium

CPEvUxIUAAAvPUD.png:medium

CPEvVIaUAAExDzu.png:medium

CPE_r7rUYAA9bp7.png:medium

Are those alternate costumes for female soldiers?

SJRB

Gold Member
Guys, can you help me here? I read that one has to watch the cutscene where
Huey gets exiled, to unlock Quiet's finale
, but I can't seem to get it. Any suggestions how to trigger it?

Story missions unlock depending on how many Side Ops you've done.

The answer to every "why has X cutscene or X mission not unlocked" is always "do more Side Ops".

Cyborg

Im getting sick of this. Yesterday I fultoned 16 A+ soldiers. I finished the misison went back to Mother Base and to my surprise (yet again) from the 16 guys only 6 A+ guys were part of my crew. The rest was just gone (not in the brick, waitingroom)

This happens every time! WTF!

Chariot

That would be the biggest troll move imaginable.

I don't understand why this stuff isn't in the game by default.
"Konami" would be answer thay makes the most sense. People already spotted these costumes while dissecting the PC version, so it's not something they came up in the last week.

Hasney

Im getting sick of this. Yesterday I fultoned 16 A+ soldiers. I finished the misison went back to Mother Base and to my surprise (yet again) from the 16 guys only 6 A+ guys were part of my crew. The rest was just gone (not in the brick, waitingroom)

Did you go to a different location to trigger a checkpoint before exiting after the last bunch?

seph1roth

I've reached to Africa, 40 hours in this game and i have to say, in my opinion...this is the best Metal Gear game ever made.

I've readed a lot of user reviews, seems to be even a more disappointing game than MGS4, i can understand why, because this game reminds me more to the Metal Gear games from MSX than the Solid saga.

For the first time since the Solid saga started, this MGS is focused only in gameplay, is by far, the most complete, best designed and deepest MGS game ever made.

MGS1 was a unique game, with a good story, and good gameplay and level design for its moment, but since MGS2, the gameplay and overall design of the saga went to the background, focusing more on the story, using a huge amount of cinematics and codec conversations.

I love MGS1 and MGS3, I hate like hell MGS2, hated the boss fights, the poor level design of the game, the continuous codec with ridiculous conversations interrupting the game, and i hate even more MGS4...i just can't accept 7 hours of gameplay, wasted by the horrible level design of the game, and 10 hours of cinematics every 5 minutes, that's bullshit, i'm trying to play a game, not watching a f*** movie, a bad movie i must say.

If i focus only in the story of the saga, is even worse, because I consider Kojima as a horrible filmmaker, with poor directing, poor script-writer and ridiculous story-teller, those stupid plot twists makes me think i am watching a Soap Opera, not a Scy fy masterpiece that this saga is considered.

But, even with all this criticism, i enjoyed the saga, fun games after all, but MGS4 broke my intentions of buying a new MGS game, so this MGSV wasn't even in my plans because my "hype" for this saga went off.

Thank god i was mistaken, MGSV is an incredible game, I praise Kojima so much for this change of style, it's so deep in gameplay, with an incredible level design, makes me think this game was not made by Kojima, but it is...

Probably the MGS fans are hating this game because the story is now in a secondary level, but i thank the lord for this change, and i must say, this change WAS NECESARY, the story of the saga is a complete mess at this point, concentrating on delivering a great gameplay than in destroying even more the story of the saga was the right decision Kojima.

myco666

Those female suits will be great to
use on "that Quiet" that I dont have anymore. :'(

Hopefully they only sell those costumes as a package so that
Quiet costumes will be useless for most.

Just watched the Phantom Episode and wow. Really shame it had to be cut out.

The fact that there wasn't really any confortation with Eli after he left with the Metal Gear was really dissapointing. That mission would seem like a perfect ending for the game also and there was bunch of neat ideas.
I kinda hope that we will get it as DLC even if I have spoiled it already for myself but probably won't be happening so.

Angel_DvA

Just finished it, the game is as amazing as disappointing, the gameplay itself is a 10/10 but everything else is below 4/10, the story, the pacing, the Konami servers, the second chapter, the cut mission etc ... are terrible...

the first part of the chapter 1 is really great but the narrative start to go down at the middle of it for dying soon after, some of the plot is still unanswered and that really sucks, the game is not finished, the game really need 1 or two other year to be perfect...

as much as I love the series, this one is the best and the worst at the same time, I don't even know how I could rate it in the future... I'll try MGO before doing a complete review.

TIL: Using sonar detection on MB is a much better way of getting soldiers to salute you then just to go each one individually (provided you're in close proximity)

PSOreo

Just finished "Chapter One" but I'm really unsure as to what exactly the goal or narrative drive is for this second chapter? We've already
taken out Skull Face
so who else needs to go or what are we fighting for?

SomTervo

I don't understand this.

I'd recommend immediately changing game settings or sending guys on a new Combat Deployment to trigger the save.

I've reached to Africa, 40 hours in this game and i have to say, in my opinion...this is the best Metal Gear game ever made.

I've readed a lot of user reviews, seems to be even a more disappointing game than MGS4, i can understand why, because this game reminds me more to the Metal Gear games from MSX than the Solid saga.

For the first time since the Solid saga started, this MGS is focused only in gameplay, is by far, the most complete, best designed and deepest MGS game ever made.

MGS1 was a unique game, with a good story, and good gameplay and level design for its moment, but since MGS2, the gameplay and overall design of the saga went to the background, focusing more on the story, using a huge amount of cinematics and codec conversations.

I love MGS1 and MGS3, I hate like hell MGS2, hated the boss fights, the poor level design of the game, the continuous codec with ridiculous conversations interrupting the game, and i hate even more MGS4...i just can't accept 7 hours of gameplay, wasted by the horrible level design of the game, and 10 hours of cinematics every 5 minutes, that's bullshit, i'm trying to play a game, not watching a f*** movie, a bad movie i must say.

If i focus only in the story of the saga, is even worse, because I consider Kojima as a horrible filmmaker, with poor directing, poor script-writer and ridiculous story-teller, those stupid plot twists makes me think i am watching a Soap Opera, not a Scy fy masterpiece that this saga is considered.

But, even with all this criticism, i enjoyed the saga, fun games after all, but MGS4 broke my intentions of buying a new MGS game, so this MGSV wasn't even in my plans because my "hype" for this saga went off.

Thank god i was mistaken, MGSV is an incredible game, I praise Kojima so much for this change of style, it's so deep in gameplay, with an incredible level design, makes me think this game was not made by Kojima, but it is...

Probably the MGS fans are hating this game because the story is now in a secondary level, but i thank the lord for this change, and i must say, this change WAS NECESARY, the story of the saga is a complete mess at this point, concentrating on delivering a great gameplay than in destroying even more the story of the saga was the right decision Kojima.

I am 100% in agreement, although I'm at 53% complete at about 65 hours played, onto the last couple of Episodes now.

I'm still 100% in agreement, even though I'm knee-deep in Chapter 2 which people seem to hate. I love it all, personally. It's a masterpiece. The odd story goof is fine and far better than the series' previous ridiculous shit.

I'm similar to you in that MGS4 was a huge turning point for me and I turned my back on the series for a while.

Yeah I still need to research cargo extract thing. I will spend some time with it at the weekend :)

Enjoy :D

Just finished "Chapter One" but I'm really unsure as to what exactly the goal or narrative drive is for this second chapter? We've already
taken out Skull Face

Cipher,
man. Duh-doy!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just finished "Chapter One" but I'm really unsure as to what exactly the goal or narrative drive is for this second chapter?

There's a lot of side-story and most (not all) questions answered whilst you do a few extra new missions. Progress either via doing side-ops -yellow ones as priority- or by doing the enhanced difficulty versions of old missions.

The funny thing about chapter 2 is that while cumulatively there's probably more story than in the first chapter, its mainly tangential and fragmentary.

The real goal of MGSV is simply to build up your army and develop all the gear. Its a sandbox.

Chariot

taken out Skull Face
The desperate search for the cut content

JGLS

Got a few questions regarding the game, that hopefully somebody could answer. I've just started Chapter 2 (I've just completed Mission 32), so please try to keep spoilers to a minimum:

1- I'd like to get on the FOB multiplayer, but since I'm playing on PC, and apparently cheaters are running amok, I want to prevent invasions until Konami fixes this (not gonna happen :( ). I've never developed the FOB beyond the first command platform, nor did the training op to invade my own my base. Nobody has invaded my so far. Is it because I have an underdeveloped base that is not enticing enough to attack? Or have I luckily avoided some trigger that prevents people from invading me?

2- I'm really invested on the creative sandbox gameplay, and would like to finish every side-op, rank S on each mission, etc. However I want to finish the story first. So does the game automatically start a new playthrough after the last mission/ending, erasing the current one, or can I keep playing after it? Are there multiple save files after it?

3- I've read the GAF emblem thread, and you guys made me paranoid about the
butterfly
emblem. The only thing I know about is that it
prevents Quiet's ending
, and since I saw an achievement on my Steam Friends Activity called
Disappearance, with an image of Quiet, I'm guessing she leaves after a certain event/mission, which is a major bummer since I adore using her as a buddy. Is she gone for good after a certain point, and I won't be able to get her back? Does the butterfly emblem prevent her from leaving? Does using the emblem prevent me from finishing the story/trigger some important plot events? Is it heavily foreshadowed after which event/mission she leaves?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
1.They will wake up on their own after a certain period of time.
2.No, tho sometimes new side ops in the area will open up only if you go back to the chopper, and some side ops can take place in the same zone, for those you have to go back to the chopper.
3.Yes, until you reach a certain point, when you're looking for high ranking soldiers only, although you should avoid guys with the troublemaker trait if you can, especially early on.

Guys that I put to sleep can wake up by their own or just if someone wake them u?
They will wake up, even if someone doesn't wake them up.

Any problems doing all the side missions of an area at once?
No problems. Feel free to do as many side ops as you see around.

Am I supposed to fulton as many soldiers as I can?
You can get an upgrade on your binoculars, to get a reading on the soldiers you look at. Ranking them. So its easy to pin point who you would like to fulton. Personally... i fulton mostly everybody lol. Avoid troublemakers tho.

Thanks a lot!!

Chariot

Got a few questions regarding the game, that hopefully somebody could answer. I've just started Chapter 2 (I've just completed Mission 32), so please try to keep spoilers to a minimum:

1- I'd like to get on the FOB multiplayer, but since I'm playing on PC, and apparently cheaters are running amok, I want to prevent invasions until Konami fixes this (not gonna happen :( ). I've never developed the FOB beyond the first command platform, nor did the training op to invade my own my base. Nobody has invaded my so far. Is it because I have an underdeveloped base that is not enticing enough to attack? Or have I luckily avoided some trigger that prevents people from invading me?

2- I'm really invested on the creative sandbox gameplay, and would like to finish every side-op, rank S on each mission, etc. However I want to finish the story first. So does the game automatically start a new playthrough after the last mission/ending, erasing the current one, or can I keep playing after it? Are there multiple save files after it?

3- I've read the GAF emblem thread, and you guys made me paranoid about the
butterfly
emblem. The only thing I know about is that it prevents
Quiet's ending
, and since I saw an achievement on my Steam Friends Activity called
Disappearance, with an image of Quiet, I'm guessing she leaves after a certain event/mission, which is a major bummer since I adore using her as a buddy. Is she gone for good after a certain point, and I won't be able to get her back? Does the butterfly emblem prevent her from leaving? Does using the emblem prevent me from finishing the story/trigger some important plot events? Is it heavily foreshadowed after which event/mission she leaves?
1) You're already dead. Build a good defense.

2) No NG+, you can finish the story and then do everthing else.

3)
She leaves forever, unless you're on PC in which case you get her back with a few lines of code. The crucial mission won't just trigger as long as you have the butterfly emblem.

SomTervo

Hot tip, if you have D-Walkers F-Balista upgrade, you can Fulton a tank from a couple hundred meters away, won't even have to get up close.

Holy fucking shit.

And here I am, just beginning to upgrade the hell out of D-Walker for the first time...

I literally haven't even taken him out on the field yet. I'm just upgrading him like mad so that when I deploy him I'll be a near-nuclear walking battletank.

Holy fucking shit.

And here I am, just beginning to upgrade the hell out of D-Walker for the first time...

I literally haven't even taken him out on the field yet. I'm just upgrading him like mad so that when I deploy him I'll be a near-nuclear walking battletank.

D Walker is good to fight the S
kulls
, easy S ranks with it :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The full upgrades for this game are insane. Not getting most of them by just doing the story is a nice way to make a post-game.

The stun arm in particular is nuts. Lets you go full anime pretty much

Holy fucking shit.

He's awesome, I've really come around on him the last 20 or so hours of play, he can be a perfect stealth buddy or a complete killing machine, he's incredibly versatile.

kulls

He's a lot more useful than that, if you have the spare GMP I recommend getting a few upgrades for him and messing around, he's very useful for stealth too.

SomTervo

He's awesome, I've really come around on him the last 20 or so hours of play, he can be a perfect stealth buddy or a complete killing machine, he's incredibly versatile.

He's a lot more useful than that, if you have the spare GMP I recommend getting a few upgrades for him and messing around, he's very useful for stealth too.

Looking at his upgrade tree, that much is absolutely clear. And the upgrade to make him automatic, too... Man!

kulls

Yeah, that's the original reason I took an interest in him actually. I've got an Extreme version of Traitor's Caravan to play and I'm pretty sure I'll need him for that :p

Woffls

Oh god, 24 hours of IN GAME time to develop a *
nuclear weapon
?! I assumed it was real time :\ welp, got some waiting to do.

*uhh, thing you can develop spoiler? :\ meh

Chariot

Yeah, that's the original reason I took an interest in him actually. I've got an Extreme version of Traitor's Caravan to play and I'm pretty sure I'll need him for that :p
Nah. Loved the hell out of him in Metallic Archea. But in Traitors Caravan the red tank is more than enough.

SilentRob

I really want those Eva and Boss costumes for Quiet...

The Boss is one of the greatest, probably the greatest, female video game characters of all time. Just imagining seeing her iconic clothes on Quiet to further market that fanservice-bot devoid of any character kind of makes me mad. For once Kojima managed to show a female character without completely reducing her to a sex object. Aything relating to the Boss should be brought as far away as possible from MGSV.

SomTervo

Nah. Loved the hell out of him in Metallic Archea. But in Traitors Caravan the red tank is more than enough.

If the same goes for Extreme, I'll just be
distracting them, fultoning the truck, and getting the hell out of there.
That'll do fine.

The Boss is one of the greatest, probably the greatest, female video game characters of all time. Just imagining seeing her iconic clothes on Quiet to further market that fanservice-bot devoid of any character kind of makes me mad. For once Kojima managed to show a female character without completely reducing her to a sex object. Aything relating to the Boss should be brought as far away as possible from MGSV.

As far as I've reached - near the end of Chapter 2 - Quiet is an excellent character. Good motives, good actions, good backstory.

It's just her design and idle animations which are awful.
There is no need for her to be naked. And no need for her to do sexy dances for Snake.
Those two things are terrible, but as a character? She's surprisingly well written. "Fan-service-bot devoid of any character" is insanely harsh and incorrect, imo.

Agreed re The Boss, though.

McBryBry

really? I knew it was Volgin as soon as they gave all the wide sweeps of his back with the bullets like Volgin had in the hospital. And when Ocelot saying something about him being stubborn and not dying while running away. They make it kind of obvious b

I guess you're right, I just never really noticed. Its been forever since I played 3, and I haven't really thought of characters like Volgin since then. Maybe if I had replayed it recently it'd be different.

Chariot

If the same goes for Extreme, I'll just be
distracting them, fultoning the truck, and getting the hell out of there.
They didn't even feel like they had more health, they just did more damage, it was kinda disappointing how easy the mission was with then higher equip.

The hate this game is getting is so funny to me.

As someone who played mgs2 at launch it seems so similar.

Mgs1 fans upset that kpjima didn't deliver what they wanted.

It is a truly great game, and the story doesn't affect that. The story is good for what it is, stop judging it for what it isn't.

It's funny because its the opposite. Mgs2 was hated because it had too many annoying cutscenes and not enough gameplay.

Mgs5 is bated because it has too much gameplay and not enough cutscenes.

Idk who wanted to stare at code talker for 30 minutes while he utters pseudo-science about parasites and language and wolbachia.

JGLS

1) You're already dead. Build a good defense.

2) No NG+, you can finish the story and then do everthing else.

3)
She leaves forever, unless you're on PC in which case you get her back with a few lines of code. The crucial mission won't just trigger as long as you have the butterfly emblem.

Thank you for answering. Sorry to nag you, just trying to get some more in-depth answers:

re:1) Guess I've just been lucky regarding no invasions at all. Shoud I focus on improving my FOB security before expanding the FOB itself, or the other way around? What range for my security team shoud I use? Lethal or non-lethal? Do the positives of expanding the FOB outweigh the possible invasion losses risk? Is there any way to sort all the personnel (medical, R&D, security, etc.) ONLY on the FOB? The GMP I spend for the basic preparedness setting is for each single invasion, correct? How bad is the cheating scene on PC? Do you have any extra tips? I really feel like the game does a really poor job of explaining each of these settings to you...

re:2) and 3) Can you tell me the exact mission number for
Quiet's disappearance
? And you're saying I can't, continue the story->
Quiet leaves
->finish the story/ending->finish side-ops, S-rank previous missions
using her as a buddy
, correct? Well, that's a bummer.

And a new one, sorry. 4) I've been spoiler free so far, but I'm also keeping with some GAF threads that reference cut content and
lacking a final mission (whatever that means)
. I'm enjoying the game so much, but can't help feel like there is some extreme disappointment looming over, which is starting to sour me on the experience. Are there any concrete rumors about a
post-ending DLC/Patch
or should I just prepare for an eventual letdown? Or are people just annoyed because Chapter 2 seems to be
Extreme/Subsistence
missions? Which tbh I don't have a problem with.

Vuze

Damn, I fulton'd five A+ soldiers today and I'm only at episode 17!
Three of which were stationed in the same outpost in free roam lol. Feels a bit like Pokémon :p
Shitty motherbase expansion stuff with abhorrent amounts of resources and waiting time sorta get in the way though.

Haven't been asked to build a FOB yet, so I sorta hope I won't have to lol

Top Bottom