• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

i actually had to get the stun arm, nothing popped. then i got the UA-DRONE and it popped up.

i think its tied to the blueprint side ops you do.

for those that beat it,
once quiet is gone, is she gone forever? so i cant reply side ops with her? or anything? shes just....outro?
Hopefully you said your goodbyes, cause once she's gone, she's gone for good.

Caode

Ah, ok. But is the real ending that bad? Is it a cliff hanger or something?

I wonder if they won't patch in the episode that was cut...

I wasn't a fan of the '2nd ending' as it is, just down to your personal thoughts towards the story.

Not a chance the 'Phantom Episode' is ever released, it wasn't anywhere near finished.

SomTervo

I've been defending the story, because I think it's okay, but now I think about it...

Peace Walker had almost exactly the same structure. Almost.

And Peace Walker still had abundant cutscenes. Abundant crazy situations. Abundant plot points, plot twist, crazy in-cutscene monologues... You played this large-scale, engaging gameplay and strategy management stuff, then you still got the great MGS cutscenes and story exposition (and significantly less of it than MGS2/4).

It is sort of a pity it's missing from MGSV. I can't say I miss it, personally, but clearly it could have been done

i actually had to get the stun arm, nothing popped. then i got the UA-DRONE and it popped up.

i think its tied to the blueprint side ops you do.

for those that beat it,
once quiet is gone, is she gone forever? so i cant reply side ops with her? or anything? shes just....outro?

Yes.

The cut epsiode is not really more of an ending than the one in the game, they deal with completely different story threads. And the one in the game is probably the more important one.

I wasn't a fan of the '2nd ending' as it is, just down to your personal thoughts towards the story.

Not a chance the 'Phantom Episode' is ever released, it wasn't anywhere near finished.

Seems weird to me that the ending of the game of all things was got cut. Are most games made sequentially? I figure the first missions you'd want to finalize in development would be your opening and ending, and then very plot-important missions after those, that way if stuff needs to be cut it can be stuff from the middle.

This game's budget was supposedly in the neighborhood of 80 million right?

People who blame sutherland's price for the story being so lacking....that just doesnt make any sense to me.

there is just no possible way he commands a salary so high, in 2015, that actively hurt the story and caused them to have to cut a whole bunch. just doesnt add up

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hot tip, if you have D-Walkers F-Balista upgrade, you can Fulton a tank from a couple hundred meters away, won't even have to get up close.

Yeah, but those A-ranks though. You can just EM mine the road and prone crawl to the tank to fulton it.

heringer

Is it just a cutscene? How are people watching? Was it leaked?

It wouldn't necessarily consider it a horrendous conclusion rather than introducing another
convoluted twist thrown into the mixture that doesn't necessarily belong there and arguably leaves more questions than answers once more. It isn't a cliffhanger to address that concern by the way
. The scrapped Mission
51: "Kingdom of the Flies"
suggest that the render cut-scenes were 30% finished, but none of the game-play was completed based on the concept describing how
Punished "Venom" Snake would arrive to a new island locale around Africa avoiding makeshift traps before engaging in a final battle with the latest Metal Gear

EDIT: It was a video featured on the "behind-the-scenes" Blu-ray included in the Collector's Edition.

It really makes no sense.

End game spoilers
You can't even use her to replay missions.

like it makes me not want to finish the game.
ddog is great for stealth but i love wrapping up side ops with quiet and just going in loud having troops run all over looking for a sniper and me taking them out while they are distracted. and they just...remove that?

Caode

There's a breakdown of it on YouTube taken from 'the making of' that accompanied the collector's edition of the game (I think that's where it's from) - watch it after you've finished the game - it's basically the culmination of a pretty huge story thread from Chapter 2. The breakdown is a combination of unfinished cutscene work, voice over work and concept art detailing how the final episode would've played out.

TheSeks

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to customize weapon attachments. I'm at like mission 36 and I have yet to figure this out, but I saw a video where someone did it. Can someone please shed some light on this?

Have you done the side-ops that unlock that? If not, do that.

Ralemont

not me
I've been defending the story, because I think it's okay, but now I think about it...

And Peace Walker still had abundant cutscenes. Abundant crazy situations. Abundant plot points, plot twist, crazy in-cutscene monologues... You played this large-scale, engaging gameplay and strategy management stuff, then you still got the great MGS cutscenes and story exposition (and significantly less of it than MGS2/4).

It is sort of a pity it's missing from MGSV. I can't say I miss it, personally, but clearly it could have been done

Seems like a lot of the stuff that was cut was darker stuff. Not to play the "blame Konami" card for everything sparse in the story, but...

This game's budget was supposedly in the neighborhood of 80 million right?

People who blame sutherland's price for the story being so lacking....that just doesnt make any sense to me.

there is just no possible way he commands a salary so high, in 2015, that actively hurt the story and caused them to have to cut a whole bunch. just doesnt add up

Honestly, I think, for whatever reason, this is largely what Kojima wanted to make. There's cutscenes from throughout the entirety of the game in the trailers, but only one cutscene in any of the trailers that didn't make it into the game (And may have possibly been reworked in a different cutscene).

Kojima said early on that Snake wouldn't talk as much. He seems to have been inspired by Drive as he was a huge fan of that when it came out, which would have been when this game was in pre-production.

Honestly I get the feeling that partially because of the Konami fallout, and partially just because it's Kojima of all people, everyone wants to find some conspiracy about what they perceive "went wrong" with the game.

pa22word

Sorry, there is a lot of reaching in this post to try and justify this garbo. No matter what you say, part of the MGS experience was the experience part. The game is fun but everything wrapped around it is bad.

I honesty just don't care about the story. I stopped when it became a joke in Mgs4.

I have no pity for the people who wanted more of that trash, and considering we knew 5 was going to be more peace walker style structuring, I can't genuinely feel bad for them getting the "story" they got, and being dissatisfied with its lack of verbal diarrhea so previously prevalent in kojima's work.

And there's very little reaching involved in saying big boss' story was wrapped up in mg2. The fact that every single ex post facto appearance of him was accompanied by a metric shit ton of retcons speaks very plainly to that.

So let's say I want to
keep Quiet as long as I can
and I am just post mission 31.

I'd like to keep her to S rank and finish all mission tasks for trophies.

What's the roadmap to doing this and then doing her final mission? In other words (ha! MGS dialogue), what should I delay doing as long as humanly possible till everything else is S rank/Mission tasks complete for the trophies.

SomTervo

Seems like a lot of the stuff that was cut was darker stuff. Not to play the "blame Konami" card for everything sparse in the story, but...

That's especially tragic.

I sincerely, genuinely hope they release a lot of DLC for it. It is one game I would absolutely buy DLC for.

thats........so, so, so, so, dumb.
Yes, yes it is. I actually restarted the entire game over after episode
45 because I wanted to do all the late game content with Quiet lol

MGSV seems like what would have happened if Kojima took Peace Walker, ripped out most of the narrative cutscenes and put the audio from them into the iDroid Tapes. They're almost the same game (MGSV obviously improving on a lot of PW's mechanics) but like you said, PW still managed to give something that resembled the classic metal gear experience.

Caode

So let's say I want to
keep Quiet
as long as I can and I am just post mission 31.

What's the roadmap to doing this and then doing her final mission? In other words (ha! MGS dialogue), what should I delay doing as long as humanly possible till everything else is S rank/Mission tasks complete for the trophies.

Just make sure you have the Butterfly in your Emblem, don't remove it until you're certain you're done with Quiet - don't do Side Op 150 either. As soon as you remove that Butterfly Emblem post-Episode 43 it'll trigger her leaving.

What stuff? All I can think of that we've actually seen in trailers and such that was cut was
Mission 51 and the scene of Snake on his knees in Africa from E3 2014. Which may have been reworked into a scene in Chapter 2.

like it makes me not want to finish the game.
ddog is great for stealth but i love wrapping up side ops with quiet and just going in loud having troops run all over looking for a sniper and me taking them out while they are distracted. and they just...remove that?

Nah go on and finish the game, and (not actual spoilers)
then join us in disappointment in the spoiler thread.
It is such a bizarre choice from them.

TheSeks

So let's say I want to keep Quiet as long as I can and I am just post mission 31.

Slap Butterfly emblem on
, once you're done:
Take the emblem off. Mission 45 will unlock and she will be gonzo

heringer

I'm not even minding Big Boss not talking very much. He actually talks more than I expected after reading some impressions.

All I want is an interesting story. It doesn't have to be MGS mindblowing as long as it's better than what you would find in Splinter Cell or something. I'm still on mission 14, so I'm not sure how things will turn out.

Just make sure you have the Butterfly in your Emblem, don't remove it until you're certain you're done with Quiet - don't do Side Op 150 either. As soon as you remove that Butterfly Emblem post-Episode 43 it'll trigger her leaving.

Slap Butterfly emblem on
, once you're done:
Take the emblem off. Mission 45 will unlock and she will be gonzo

Thanks for the info! Also, edited with the spoiler tags.

Yes, it's just a series of completed voice-overs over concept art and text describing the absent game-play sequences. However, a large amount of temporary cut-scenes are featured with a disclaimer noting they were 30% finished at the time. Several users have uploaded the scrapped segment onto YouTube so watch it after you've finished as the final timeline apparently suggests that it's "canon" according to some folk. I normally try to avoid posting official stuff based on their sensitivity with GAF policy, but a couple of sites like Kotaku have outright linked to them in articles so I hope it's fine to post for discussion and/or closure for those wanting an actual bookend to MGSV.

I'm not even minding Big Boss not talking very much. He actually talks more than I expected after reading some impressions.

All I want is an interesting story. It doesn't have to be MGS mindblowing as long as it's better than what you would find in Splinter Cell or something. I'm still on mission 14, so I'm not sure how things will turn out.

I honestly found the story got fairly interesting by the end of Chapter 1. Is it the best in the series? No. But I found Skullface's scheme interesting in a very Metal Gear way. Even with less story than most games it's still more politically charged than 95% of game stories.

Is it worth getting rid of all the trouble makers since fights keep breaking out or shall I leave them in since all the people being hospitalized is leveling up my medical team lol.

SomTervo

MGSV seems like what would have happened if Kojima took Peace Walker, ripped out most of the narrative cutscenes and put the audio from them into the iDroid Tapes. They're almost the same game (MGSV obviously improving on a lot of PW's mechanics) but like you said, PW still managed to give something that resembled the classic metal gear experience.

Broadly, yeah - but remember PW still had substantive cassette tapes (more like optional CODEC convos).

Plus the cutscene content in PW generally pushed plot and scenes forward which tied to gameplay - I love MGSV tapes, but they do not, or rarely, do this. I don't think the bolded is right.

So let's say I want to
keep Quiet as long as I can
and I am just post mission 31.

Use the Butterfly in your custom Mother Base emblem. As long as you keep it, the mission where you lose Quiet will never be triggered. You never have to worry about it until you change your emblem.

Greddleok

I honestly found the story got fairly interesting by the end of Chapter 1. Is it the best in the series? No. But I found Skullface's scheme interesting in a very Metal Gear way. Even with less story than most games it's still more politically charged than 95% of game stories.

I don't hate the story either. I wonder how many people who say it's shit listened to the tapes. All the best stuff is in the tapes.

Don't agree with that at all. Peace Walker had a ton of cassettes too and these feel like the same thing. None of the cassette's are of people DOING something, they're always long-winded conversations between two characters. I can't imagine they ever intended to animate those.

darker???

TPP might already be the darkest video game I played in a long while, Elizabeth's mensur aside, there's a lot of messed up stuff innit.

When was the last game kids were involved like that, that's a line publishers just don't wanna cross.

darker???

TPP might already be the darkest video game I played in a long while, Elizabeth's mensur aside, there's a lot of messed up stuff innit.

When was the last game kids were involved like that, that's a line publishers just don't wanna cross.

Right? I've seen a lot of fan theorizing that whatever Kojima was talking about when he said some of the game ideas were taboo got cut, but like... do they not realize the main plot of the game revolves around (End of Chapter 1 spoilers)
Ethnic Cleansing
for christ sake.

Post mission 43 question

So Quiet is supposed to leave after that mission unless you have a low bond or the butterfly emblem right? I've had mission 47 unlock and been doing a bunch of side ops and extreme mission but she's still here and nothing else seems to be unlocking. The last thing I got were the Huey tapes about the scanner but I've been back to base a few times and still nothing.

pa22word

I don't hate the story either. I wonder how many people who say it's shit listened to the tapes. All the best stuff is in the tapes.

I wish the idriod app would let you listen to unlocked tapes on the go. doing them during gameplay just doesn't work for me as I miss out on half of what is being said because I see something happening and phase out, or worse yet, the damned game plays something over it and doesn't even bother to pause the damned thing so that I end with half a tape missed.

It worked well in peace walker because I could just queue the tapes and stick my psp in my pocket while I was driving or something, but here they just feel so out of place. Audio diaries work in games like system shock and dishonered because you have to find them in the game world, and listening to them provides you with some breathing time in between the action and some in game tension because playing them ups the odds of an Enemy upending your ass when you aren't paying attention. In mgs5 they're just dumped on you at arbitrary times to be played later, and the game is so densely packed with shit to do as is there's no real time to force them in somewhere. Maybe if helicopter rides were in real time, and the distance traveled at least had a simirealistic equivilance with the game's clock, so you could listen to them as you flew to missions and to and from mother base, but that'd be a tough balancing act to maintain without killing te gameplay pacing.

I wish the idriod app would let you listen to unlocked tapes on the go. doing them during gameplay just doesn't work for me as I miss out on half of what is being said because I see something happening and phase out, or worse yet, the damned game plays something over it and doesn't even bother to pause the damned thing so that I end with half a tape missed.

It worked well in peace walker because I could just queue the tapes and stick my psp in my pocket while I was driving or something, but here they just feel so out of place. Audio diaries work in games like system shock and dishonered because you have to find them in the game world, and listening to them provides you with some breathing time in between the action and some in game tension because playing them ups the odds of an Enemy upending your ass when you aren't paying attention. In mgs5 they're just dumped on you at arbitrary times to be played later, and the game is so densely packed with shit to do as is there's no real time to force them in somewhere. Maybe if helicopter rides were in real time, and the distance traveled at least had a simirealistic equivilance with the game's clock, so you could listen to them as you flew to missions and to and from mother base, but that'd be a tough balancing act to maintain without killing te gameplay pacing.

Yeah. They should pause when they're interupted. But generally, you won't get interupted too much by listening to them during side-ops. I did all my listening during those, and when I would take a food break while playing and just listened to them in the ACC.

Chariot

Yeah. They should pause when they're interupted. But generally, you won't get interupted too much by listening to them during side-ops. I did all my listening during those, and when I would take a food break while playing and just listened to them in the ACC.
I couldn't. Everything was blabbing over it.

"He's coming too, h-"
"Development comple-"
"BIEP BIEP FOB under atta-"
"Enemy sniper! Get dow-"

myco666

I don't understand how you can play sideops while listening tapes without being interrupted. I fulton pretty much everything so Miller is talking over all the time and then if you find the target Miller has to call in etc. Then if someone notices you and calls radio it will also interrupt tapes. Only way to actually listen tapes is to just sit at ACC or run around MB.

I don't understand how you can play sideops while listening tapes without being interrupted. I fulton pretty much everything so Miller is talking over all the time and then if you find the target Miller has to call in etc. Then if someone notices you and calls radio it will also interrupt tapes. Only way to actually listen tapes is to just sit at ACC or run around MB.

Yeah, you're right. I've been playing with subtitles on which helps, as I think it leaves up the subtitles for the tapes usually rather than one of Miller's barks.

Top Bottom