• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Arttemis

Slap Butterfly emblem on
, once you're done:
Take the emblem off. Mission 45 will unlock and she will be gonzo

Well, I got
bond rank to 100
and never received an emblem. I was expecting the emblem to be rewarded before that point, but it never happened, and now the mission has triggered. WTF.

Is it because I got
her bond rating to 100
before chapter 2 started?

SomTervo

I'm not even minding Big Boss not talking very much. He actually talks more than I expected after reading some impressions.

All I want is an interesting story. It doesn't have to be MGS mindblowing as long as it's better than what you would find in Splinter Cell or something. I'm still on mission 14, so I'm not sure how things will turn out.

I felt the same, and I'm into the 40s mission wise and imo the story is really good.

Make sure you put aside time to free roam the world doing side ops and listen to tapes. Some of them are great and really get you stoked for more main missions.

Use the Butterfly in your custom Mother Base emblem. As long as you keep it, the mission where you lose Quiet will never be triggered. You never have to worry about it until you change your emblem.

Thanks! You rock.

So just to be sure...

The butterfly can be on any base shape and color it just needs the butterfly in it?

Well, I got
bond rank to 100
and never received an emblem. I was expecting the emblem to be rewarded before that point, but it never happened, and now the mission has triggered. WTF.

Is it because I got
her bond rating to 100

You get the emblem by completing three missions with her in which Quiet does a majority of the shooting/heavy lifting. She has to tranq/kill more people than you.

Woffls

Does anyone know if the trial leaderboards are cross-platform?

I couldn't. Everything was blabbing over it.

"He's coming too, h-"
"Development comple-"
"BIEP BIEP FOB under atta-"
"Enemy sniper! Get dow-"
You can turn update lady off in the options. Wish I'd noticed it sooner... so peaceful without her.

Geg

Post mission 43 question

So Quiet is supposed to leave after that mission unless you have a low bond or the butterfly emblem right? I've had mission 47 unlock and been doing a bunch of side ops and extreme mission but she's still here and nothing else seems to be unlocking. The last thing I got were the Huey tapes about the scanner but I've been back to base a few times and still nothing.

For me, she left after a cutscene involving Huey happened. I think if you keep doing side ops and missions it'll happen, and then after that it triggers her leaving

myco666

It does. I'm at work and I just tested it....

...unless that's not what you meant?

Atleast on my iPad it seems to reset eveything everytime I put it to sleep so all tapes are gone unless I have it synced with the game.

Yeah, you're right. I've been playing with subtitles on which helps, as I think it leaves up the subtitles for the tapes usually rather than one of Miller's barks.

I play with subtitles on as well but it seems Miller even gets the subtitles sometimes. It depends on who gets their line in first I guess.

Greddleok

Yeah, which is pretty sad in a way. Many of the tape revelations should be integrated in the game as cutscenes instead imo.

They could, but they don't need to be. Most of them sound like codec conversations any way. There's a lot of traversal in MGS5, and listening to tapes fits in great. Halting game play to listen to something is one of my biggest gripes with metal gear games in general.

I often found myself skipping something I thought wasn't important (but was) because I wanted to get back to playing. Some people might see this as a weakness, but I see listening to narration while playing a game is just the best.

I wish the idriod app would let you listen to unlocked tapes on the go. doing them during gameplay just doesn't work for me as I miss out on half of what is being said...

Weird, totally works for me. I have them on constantly during side ops, or if I'm just running somewhere. I also throw them on in the chopper if I'm doing chores and want something on in the back ground.

Audio diaries work in games like system shock and dishonoured because you have to find them in the game world,

I completely disagree with the audio diary things. Who the fuck records audio diaries? Who the fuck records an audio diary saying "Argh! Someone's attacking, I've locked myself in here, help me people who find this audio diary in 10 years time!" I find that whole thing ridiculous. Mission briefing tapes make way more sense to me.

and listening to them provides you with some breathing time in between the action and some in game tension because playing them ups the odds of an Enemy upending your ass when you aren't paying attention. In mgs5 they're just dumped on you at arbitrary times to be played later, and the game is so densely packed with shit to do as is there's no real time to force them in somewhere.

It's the same in MGS5. There's breathing time between side ops. It's perfect for when you're running the 800-2k meters to the next side op.

Keep playing. You'll find out more about this.

Definitely interested in seeing where it goes.

If you look at Ground Zeroes ending again, you can see that there are parts where the camera cuts away from the action or zooms characters out of frame, and there's bits where they cut the audio. I kinda think the ground zeroes ending thing might have been a work from the start.

Oh, maybe I should rewatch the Ground Zeroes ending again.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone know if the trial leaderboards are cross-platform?

You can turn update lady off in the options. Wish I'd noticed it sooner... so peaceful without her.

One of the first things I did when I started.

I think Donna Burke is a great singer but good lord, her endless japping in my ears about every single thing that happens is beyond annoying.

Broadly, yeah - but remember PW still had substantive cassette tapes (more like optional CODEC convos).

Plus the cutscene content in PW generally pushed plot and scenes forward which tied to gameplay - I love MGSV tapes, but they do not, or rarely, do this. I don't think the bolded is right.

Don't agree with that at all. Peace Walker had a ton of cassettes too and these feel like the same thing. None of the cassette's are of people DOING something, they're always long-winded conversations between two characters. I can't imagine they ever intended to animate those.
I guess what I was trying to say is that despite having a similar structure, Peace Walker managed to tell its story in a way that felt similar to the previous metal gear games, where Phantom Pain kinda falls short in this area.
I love the audio tapes, but I just think a lot of the story critical ones should have been actual story moments instead of tapes you listen to in the ACC.
A better way of saying it would have been, "MGSV feels like what PW would be like if it relied more on the tapes to tell some of the critical story elements rather than those neat animated comic book scenes."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, I got
bond rank to 100

Is it because I got
her bond rating to 100

No, it's because
you didn't let her do most of the work to get the emblem

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does this mean I can't 100% the game? Will I have to start over to accomplish that?

No. Since the emblems don't count into the 100% AFAIK you'll be fine. You just can't make an emblem with that emblem.

Gorillaz

I thought it was cool that they had her be the voice idroid but yea I dont need to hear it every min

I like calling to the night tho

SomTervo

I guess what I was trying to say is that despite having a similar structure, Peace Walker managed to tell its story in a way that felt similar to the previous metal gear games, where Phantom Pain kinda falls short in this area.
I love the audio tapes, but I just think a lot of the story critical ones should have been actual story moments instead of tapes you listen to in the ACC.
A better way of saying it would have been, "MGSV feels like what PW would be like if it relied more on the tapes to tell some of the critical story elements rather than those neat animated comic book scenes."

Hah. Funnily enough, that is exactly what I was trying to say, too.

It's a pity, but MGSV is still a masterpiece with a solid story.

I honestly found the story got fairly interesting by the end of Chapter 1. Is it the best in the series? No. But I found Skullface's scheme interesting in a very Metal Gear way. Even with less story than most games it's still more politically charged than 95% of game stories.

I quite like the Chapter 1 story. It's actually pretty tight by Metal Gear standards, utilizes not just traditional cutscenes and tapes(codecs) to present information but also allows you to get more info through optional activities like spying on conversations and interrogating soldiers. Hell the actual geography of the maps is a part of the story in some cases. It's actually a pretty big step forward for Kojima in terms of how his stories are delivered even though it's clearly are far different approach than the rest of the series.

I also appreciate how the
Code Talker
tapes you get actually make a lot of the links between earlier missions clear and provide additional relevance to some of the earlier story missions.

SomTervo

I quite like the Chapter 1 story. It's actually pretty tight by Metal Gear standards, utilizes not just traditional cutscenes and tapes(codecs) to present information but also allows you to get more info through optional activities like spying on conversations and interrogating soldiers. Hell the actual geography of the maps is a part of the story in some cases. It's actually a pretty big step forward for Kojima in terms of how his stories are delivered even though it's clearly are far different approach than the rest of the series.

I also appreciate how the
Code Talker
tapes you get actually make a lot of the links between earlier missions clear and provide additional relevance to some of the earlier story missions.

Yeah, as much as some of the
Code Talker
tapes are bloated and ridiculous (in a good way), they actually draw some insanely pertinent parallels - not just across TPP, but across the whole series.

Same goes for the
Skullface
's background tapes. Really good shit and fills in stuff from MGS3 and before.

Jingo

After reading most of the comments about the lack of history and "Muted" Snake, i was kinda of but i tought people were probably exagerating, now that ive done some missions, gameplay apart( that is awesome!) what i can see its that for me obviously, its a let down, some mission look like spam mail with no interest, the only part that got me really hooked was
the battle with quiet and retrieving Huey
cause those missons looked a lot focused and sending you in a direct porpose, and it had the cutscenes i was always a fan, i just wished the game was more in that way.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
CPGEP7VWUAAxmiF.jpg:orig

My Xbox One copy just went into update mode a minute ago, just over 500MBs. Nothing on Google yet. Anyone find out what this is yet?

My game stutters frequently, so good lord I hope that gets fixed.

Yeah, as much as some of the
Code Talker
tapes are bloated and ridiculous (in a good way), they actually draw some insanely pertinent parallels - not just across TPP, but across the whole series.

Same goes for the
Skullface
's background tapes. Really good shit and fills in stuff from MGS3 and before.

Yep, I have no idea how people in the spoiler thread are reacting to the explanations for
The Cobra Unit's powers and how they link to the Skulls in MGSV
(probably not well judging by the general reaction to MGSV and how much people hated the explanations in MGS4) but I think that stuff is pretty cool. I got genuinely excited when they stated that
Quiet essentially got her powers from The End

In fact I quite like a lot of the links that Kojima makes to the broader Metal Gear saga here. Just small stuff like (Chapter 1 spoilers)
the tape about Dr. Clark, ArmsTech references, OKB0 being a former Soviet Philosopher base, etc
. It's not the way that anyone wanted but then again he has never really made a sequel that fit the confines of what people want from the series in advance except for MGS4 (and even then Old Snake was a big swerve). I can't count the number of people who seemed to really hope that MGSV would end with some variation on "Commencing Operation Intrude N313". Though that would have been pretty cool...

BadHand

Does the staff stats mean anything when they are player controlled?

BB is A++ stats in everything, but if I switch to a S++ staff member (say in combat) and complete a SP mission as that character, does it give me any advantage over BB? i.e. better marking, better accuracy, longer reflex, increased health...

AJ_Wings

Since the recent thread got locked and I think don't I've posted in the OT so...

The fun gameplay is really what saved the entire game for me or I would've dropped it much earlier.

Also, outside of outposts, main missions and side-ops... nothing is really going on in this open world. No randomized events except for the weather changes (which is frankly an excellent addition), no patrolling helicopters or squads, no local fighters fighting off the Russian army or the PMCs. No little cool areas with bits of environmental storytelling ala say New Vegas. Nothing. Just animals and two guys patrolling in a truck. Like... what the hell?

I would've liked if they at least revisited the whole idea of Snake being stuck in midst of a warzone in MGS4.

JGLS

1) Lethal with maximum prepardness and everything you can put in there. FOB can be rewarding. When people fail to conquer your FOB you will get you ressources, people and money. Building your FOB aldo helps your team levels since you can employ more people. And no, you can't set people directly on the FOB, the enemy grabs people from your whole pool - except those that are looked by the story or per direct contract.

3)
I think finishing mission 41 is the point of no return. Make sure to have the emblem by then and put it on. She won't leave immideately, but the events that make her leave are set in motion.

Thank you so much for answering. Really appreciate it.

The hate this game is getting is so funny to me.

As someone who played mgs2 at launch it seems so similar.

Mgs1 fans upset that kpjima didn't deliver what they wanted.

It is a truly great game, and the story doesn't affect that. The story is good for what it is, stop judging it for what it isn't.

It's funny because its the opposite. Mgs2 was hated because it had too many annoying cutscenes and not enough gameplay.

Mgs5 is bated because it has too much gameplay and not enough cutscenes.

Idk who wanted to stare at code talker for 30 minutes while he utters pseudo-science about parasites and language and wolbachia.

As someone who has only been a MGS fan since December (love stealth, saw GZ on Steam, never tried MGS, bought it and promptly spent +30 hours with it) I've been absolutely enjoying my time with the game (at 70 hours currently, Mission 32), the gameplay is just that creative and good. But I can't help but feel slightly disappointed with the story for a few reasons:

- In the lead up to the release of TPP, I've finished MGS1, MGS3, and watched MGScanlon 2 and 4, the Peace Walker Movie and only the "Nuclear" TPP trailer. I'm not particularly crazy about Kojima's writing (2 and 4, are just not my cup of tea), but I appreciate the alternate history setting of 1,3 and PW, the guns, cqc, etc. extensive research, some of the character's backstory and dialogue and especially I feel like he's very good at setting up tension and create a sense of shit's about to go down, so get ready. They're just endearing, charming, crazy, well directed espionage games. And with all that comes an overwhelming number of exposition and cutscenes. He chose (rightfully so, IMO) to cut down on those but at the cost of not fleshing out the previous story elements I mentioned or at least he spread those so apart that you spend long stretches of missions without a single story beat. It makes TPP feel less like it's predecessors, which is not entirely a bad thing, but it took me some time to get used to it. So in a way I feel like this is in part a problem on my expectations, and not with the game itself.

- I also feel like the way the story is structured into
2 Chapters with different story arcs
a missed opportunity. Big Boss is an extremely fascinating character storywise due to his progression from hero -> anti-hero -> villain. I really believe Kojima struck gold with this, since it's a fairly unique character development (the only one that comes to mind, are the Terminator movies) and he had a well though-out motive for this transition, using revenge and the resulting self-destruction as a catalyst ("Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured"). I've just started
the second chapter
and with
Skullface and the revenge plot point out of the way
the game loses a sense of focus and urgence (I really hope the antagonist is not just
faceless Cipher
), and I'm extremely curious how Kojima is going to set Big Boss' transition,
without an as obvious motif as vengeance
, in a satisfying way. I feel like this is also a disappointment on my part, but I would preferred if he hadn't used this thematic red herring in the story.

As I stated I'm only on Mission 32, have been avoiding spoilers, I'm enjoying the story so far, there are some things I wish were different, but I'm willing to give the game the benefit of doubt. I just hope there are some more explicit connections to previous MGS or returning characters (without reaching the ridiculous fanservice level of MGS4). Come on Kojima, where is Zero?
Bedridden
, really? Where is EVA (she was mentioned in one of the earlier tapes as having set up Big Boss' stay on Cyprus)? Where is Sniper Wolf, she mentioned on MGS1 Big Boss saved her (I think? Don't really remember the specifics) on Afghanistan?

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Heading back to the game, these sheep don't fulton themselves. Thanks for reading.

the last few things I need to do in the game are fully develop motherbase, develop 300 items, and get all units to lvl 50. I think I fucked up while playing the game or something, I havent seen anyone else say they have the enormous grind that is ahead for me.

I left my console on over night and it only processed like 20,000 resources...I need a few hundred thousand.

All of my units are low 40's, one even in the 30's.....this is after several hours of farming soldiers in mission 16.

I dont understand how I do not have the achievement for developing 300 items. I developed everything that has come available, unless its over 400,000 gmp to do it. Is there any way to see how many you have done?

Anyone here a D-Dog expert? I could use some advice on how to use him effectively...
Other than auto-marking enemies (which I don't have turned on), D-Dog can lure enemies from very far away with Bark (much farther sound radius than knocking or magazine) and he can go after enemies from around the corner to stun them instead of having to wait for them to come and hope that your R2 press doesn't register as a CQC whiff.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Heading back to the game, these sheep don't fulton themselves. Thanks for reading.

While I haven't finished the game yet I know enough to know that you will definitely be disappointed.

I can't recall- did Kojima actually promise that this would be the game to link the two pieces of the series and show us BB's descent into villainy? I don't know if that was the actual promised intention or expectations that we brought onto ourselves?

Branson

the last few things I need to do in the game are fully develop motherbase, develop 300 items, and get all units to lvl 50. I think I fucked up while playing the game or something, I havent seen anyone else say they have the enormous grind that is ahead for me.

I left my console on over night and it only processed like 20,000 resources...I need a few hundred thousand.

All of my units are low 40's, one even in the 30's.....this is after several hours of farming soldiers in mission 16.

I dont understand how I do not have the achievement for developing 300 items. I developed everything that has come available, unless its over 400,000 gmp to do it. Is there any way to see how many you have done?

What's so special about mission 16?

Chariot

Anyone here a D-Dog expert? I could use some advice on how to use him effectively...
I basically used him as a radar, which is nice. Never took advantage of his other abilities.

Speaking of which I always think for a second that Kiefer goes Emporer when BB pets the dog. "Good. Gooood."

I'm really early on in this game, liking the structure so far but is it possible to just let the ai deal with sorting out your employees and where they will go and just choosing which upgrades an items you want? Later in the game does it become more important to worry about which captured soldier is better suited for which division?

I just hope there are some more explicit connections to previous MGS or returning characters (without reaching the ridiculous fanservice level of MGS4). Come on Kojima, where is Zero? Bedridden, really? Where is EVA (she was mentioned in one of the earlier tapes as having set up Big Boss' stay on Cyprus)? Where is Sniper Wolf, she mentioned on MGS1 Big Boss saved her (I think? Don't really remember the specifics) on Afghanistan?.

do people actually want to see these things? seeing sniper wolf in mgsv would be like seeing little boba fett in star wars episode 2.

stuff can happen "off-screen", i'm glad kojima realized this for pw and mgsv regarding some characters

I'm really early on in this game, liking the structure so far but is it possible to just let the ai deal with sorting out your employees and where they will go and just choosing which upgrades an items you want? Later in the game does it become more important to worry about which captured soldier is better suited for which division?

yeah just fulton whomever you want and the game will sort it our for you, later on you'll wanna only pick up higher ranked guys

WITHE1982

I just took it a huge post by circling around with pistol and snipe. Nighty night.

Just wait until you unlock
Quiet's silenced tranq rifle
. It makes taking over bases a cake walk. She basically does the entire thing. All that's left is to collect your sweet, sweet recruits.

One thing i noticed that i hadn't done was extract the specialists during the main missions, so i had left out a load of stuff that i could have developed. I went back and replayed most of the missions with this in mind and ended up going over the 300 number.

Same deal with blueprints, if you haven't found them during a mission, interrogate someone in the right outpost and they'll tell you where to get it, which is normally accompanied by a tick on the map.

I'm struggling on resources though, at first it was fuel but now i'm not getting enough common metal. I thought it was my loadout at first but it's not, i'm just not finding enough of it.

cyress8

Banned

I pretty much use him only when I need him to distract a guard that is coming to check my location and can't really move. Early on he is very useful since I don't want to waste my suppressor and like to do CQC. ( I like to fulton out every soldier on every mission. So less calling in supply drops, the better. )

He allows me to do some CQC on them real quick before the others notice.

Haunted

It is a huge grind. That element of the game being so crucial and overbearing almost soured me on the game wholesale, even with the core gameplay being so fun. It's a real downer. :/

Just let the AI handle it, it'll automatically sort people in their strongest division. If you want to check on that, you can go to the staff management menu and press in the right stick to have the computer update that.

I've only manually messed around in the staff management for a story-related thing later on and when I wanted a particular upgrade and needed to inflate a particular division temporarily.

Chariot

do people actually want to see these things? seeing sniper wolf in mgsv would be like seeing little boba fett in star wars episode 2.

stuff can happen "off-screen", i'm glad kojima realized this for pw and mgsv regarding some characters
I wanted her to be there. As I stated multiple times, I'm sorry for repeating myself, there was a perfect setup to
save a little girl in Afghanistan that has close interaction with DD and Quiet, giving her both a interest in snipers and a connection to wolves.

As a side benefit we would get to see another side of Quiet, like a big sister and more scenes with her and DD without having them only relate to Big Boss.

I think there is definitely strong fan desire for a Chapter 2 of MGSV where it fasts fowards to 1995 or so and you have BB leading Foxhound, building up Outer Heaven on the side, recruiting Sniper Wolf, Decoy Octopus, and Gray Fox.

Honestly I think if Konami wants to get some real quick fan points in the wake of Kojima's departure they would announce almost exactly that along with the return of David Hayter.

I don't even use most of his abilities honestly. His marking is too stronk
this is somewhat of an understatement lol.
Other than auto-marking enemies (which I don't have turned on), D-Dog can lure enemies from very far away with Bark (much farther sound radius than knocking or magazine) and he can go after enemies from around the corner to stun them instead of having to wait for them to come and hope that your R2 press doesn't register as a CQC whiff.
Ok now this is interesting. That's an ability you get from raising his bond level right? Guess I'll just soldier on until I unlock it.

Sai-kun

Banned
I hate that sometimes if I die after a side ops mission, the op won't have actually concluded for whatever reason, and it'll load me up right before it. Uuuugh.

Top Bottom