• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

What you might not realize is that they aren't going after you, they're going after a noise. If you get away after a suspicion is raised you can flank enemies while they go ballistic on where they think an intruder MIGHT have been. They operate on sound a lot of the time. If they hear a helmet being shot or an enemy shooting at someone, that will trigger a suspicion alert. Reflex mode is all about preventing that warning cry from going out.

The enemy's vision, for the most part, works on movement. When they're shining the flashlight they're seeing if something moves. It's actually very intricate AI and when you really understand the rules it operates on you can perform some amazing feats.

But soldiers yells most of the time during reflex mode but that doesn't trigger an alert. And these guys aren't freaking T-Rexes. Russians soldiers could still see Snake in Mgs3 even when wearing the right camouflage and hiding the in the grass.

weekev

Banned
Is there a known bug where mission 22 doesnt trigger? It triggered once, I did my usual all guns blazing approach. Died and it went back to mission 21. Now its not loading 22 any more after about 15 side ops. Have I broken my save file?

Woffls

what are the benefits and consequences of building a nuke?...is there any point to building one?
Only players with "Hero" status can invade your FOB if you have a nuke. However, each nuke you build will reduce your heroism score by 50k, and increase your demon score by 50k.

kris.

Banned
Yo, say what you will about any negative aspects of this game, but (mission 31):
that fight was one of the most tense, amazing fights in this entire series. Totally worth it.

TitusTroy

Only players with "Hero" status can invade your FOB if you have a nuke. However, each nuke you build will reduce your heroism score by 50k, and increase your demon score by 50k.

so what happens if I build a nuke and then dispose of it?...I thought I was given 1 nuke in the story but I only see the option to build one in my I-Droid...the disposal option is greyed out

Woffls

so what happens if I build a nuke and then dispose of it?
+1k heroism, -1k demon for each one disposed.Then your FOB becomes open to attack from anyone again.

I'm hoping the game doesn't autosave when I dispose of mine - I only want the achievement.

Regarding story:
at no point do you get a nuke - you have to develop the first one as you do the rest

JackelZXA

But soldiers yells most of the time during reflex mode but that doesn't trigger an alert. And these guys aren't freaking T-Rexes. Russians soldiers could still see Snake in Mgs3 even when wearing the right camouflage and hiding the in the grass.

There are special rules for what reactions are from a dude starting a line of dialog to finishing it. some yells don't matter if they don't finish, some matter if they start but don't finish (usually radio chatter) the behaviors are pretty reliable, but kind of complicated.

Seeing you can happen sometimes, too. It depends on what kind of soldier they are, what the visibility conditions are (spotlights, nighttime, sandstorm, if they have nightvision goggles or are using a flashlight all have an impact with specific parameters. In general it's based on movement if you're well hidden, and based on sight if you werent. (It was kind of like that in mgs3 depending on your camo levels. at 95% they'd only see you if they stepped on you)

NotLiquid

Just beat Mission 43.

That was... wow.
Kojima managed to yet again make one hell of a narrative sequence through game play that has a dreadful buildup and one hell of a gut wrenching payoff. I almost feel like if the game played it's cards right this could have been the penultimate mission to the game; the moment Big Boss transcends into the darkness.

So many things about this game frustrates me in terms of how it drags and how the story is iffy, but when it pulls off something well, it does it with flying colors.

JackelZXA

finally got to the
"it's raining"
part with Quiet

was this MGS 5's "can love bloom on the battlefield moment"

I really like this scene. If you just ignore the ass shots, it expresses how much quiet enjoys the sensations her body has. She doesn't need to be naked to breath, she just enjoys the feeling her body has to rain and sun. It's someone who enjoys the feeling of life and that's actually a really great thing.

Too bad they just used skeevy camera shots to undermine the interesting aspects of why she is that way.

MGS characters have always had interesting ways of expressing the deeper aspects of their characters down to their personal pleasures, and quiet's super-sensory body giving her massive highs from just being alive could have been one of the most interesting things about her if the cutscene directors had given as much respect to her as the other characters do. THAT's the problem with quiet in the game. Quiet, herself is cool and interesting and fits in a game where you have creepy sex weirdos like Vamp running around, it's just that they showed zero restraint in fanservicy shit and that brings it all down.

Also, Big Boss and Quiet playing in the rain was adorably OTP.

Spazznid

I really like this scene. If you just ignore the ass shots, it expresses how much quiet enjoys the sensations her body has. She doesn't need to be naked to breath, she just enjoys the feeling her body has to rain and sun. It's someone who enjoys the feeling of life and that's actually a really great thing.

Too bad they just used skeevy camera shots to undermine the interesting aspects of why she is that way.

MGS characters have always had interesting ways of expressing the deeper aspects of their characters down to their personal pleasures, and quiet's super-sensory body giving her massive highs from just being alive could have been one of the most interesting things about her if the cutscene directors had given as much respect to her as the other characters do. THAT's the problem with quiet in the game. Quiet, herself is cool and interesting and fits in a game where you have creepy sex weirdos like Vamp running around, it's just that they showed zero restraint in fanservicy shit and that brings it all down.

100% agreed.

NotLiquid

I don't suppose stuff like this could have been in the first 50 hours of the story.

If I feel that there's anything MGSV has benefited the most with this kind of system it's adopted, it's the fact that it does a great job in making you care about characters through a way only a game could do. Any art form can give you a good visual and descriptor about a character but only a game I feel is able to actually make you connect by being able, as well as wanting to assist them, or having them assist you.

Take Quiet for example. I'm not going to deny that her design is kind of crappy despite the (weak) story justifications for it, and yet she's one of my favorite MGS characters because of how useful she is in game play. I'm really surprised how Kojima managed to do a lot of such in this game considering how he used to be the one notorious for autopiloting every character with tell over show. Here there's both positive and tragic developments going on all the time that manages to be more profound thanks to how good of an influence they are in terms of the core game.

I mean fucking hell I feel bad for the goddamn Helicopter guy whenever I screw up and he falls victim.

acsn

I'm on mission 46 and
Quiet has left motherbase. I've been spoiled that you lose her for good, but there's a trick with the butterfly emblem to keep her. Does using this trick prevent you from getting any cutscenes? I'd like to keep Quiet after I beat the game but not if it means missing out on any cutscenes.

TitusTroy

+1k heroism, -1k demon for each one disposed.Then your FOB becomes open to attack from anyone again.

I'm hoping the game doesn't autosave when I dispose of mine - I only want the achievement.

Regarding story:
at no point do you get a nuke - you have to develop the first one as you do the rest

so if building 1 reduces your heroism by 50,000 and increases your demon score by 50,000...and disposing of it only increases your heroism by 1000 and decreases your demon score by 1000...you're still 49,000 in the red for each...they should give you a bigger bonus for disposing of it

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
so if building 1 reduces your heroism by 50,000 and increases your demon score by 50,000...and disposing of it only increases your heroism by 1000 and decreases your demon score by 1000...you're still 49,000 in the red for each...they should give you a bigger bonus for disposing of it

I understand why they did it though. Making a nuke takes a lot of money and resources. Like a shit ton.

You can steal nukes from other players and dispose of them, but yeah, at least 5K of heroism would've been better.

I've gotten more heroism from rescuing freaking animals.

Skatterd

I'm on mission 46 and
Quiet has left motherbase. I've been spoiled that you lose her for good, but there's a trick with the butterfly emblem to keep her. Does using this trick prevent you from getting any cutscenes? I'd like to keep Quiet after I beat the game but not if it means missing out on any cutscenes.

I think it's too late.

Sassen

Regarding story:

And to add, if you're looking to get the
trophy/achievement for it, it'll take 24 hours...offline time
:x

If done correctly, this scene could have really added a lot of depth to her character. But no, they used it as a vehicle for fan service instead.

Quiet and Big Boss are my OTP

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's a shame that the rain scene was a couple of details away from being a very good one (the small detail being the camera angles, that appear to objectify Quiet). But I swear some people were acting as if Kojima killed someone with this scene, from some of the posts I read.

Woffls

yoooo_zpslpqolnam.png
242 hours, 173 missions, 924k heroism, 4675 neutalisations. FOB time!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
242 hours, 173 missions, 924k heroism, 4675 neutalisations. FOB time!

That 100% feels so far away for me. 51% right now. But at least I've done more than half of the side-ops.

Grief.exe

Quiet chapter 2 spoilers

I'm aware Quiet leaves at one point, can you get her back during the same playthrough? I've heard she is perfect for S ranking missions and I'd like to use her to replay missions.

Keep it as spoiler free as possible.

SlickVic

I'm trying to unlock Side Ops 27 (Extract Prisoner 01). All the guides say it unlocks after Side Ops 05, which I did, but 27 didn't unlock. Hope it just requires completing some more main missions, otherwise my game just glitched me out of some side missions.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Quiet chapter 2 spoilers

I'm aware Quiet leaves at one point, can you get her back during the same playthrough? I've heard she is perfect for S ranking missions and I'd like to use her to replay missions.

When she's gone, she is gone.

Woffls

After a good 6 hours looking for a tortoise, the Conservation achievement isn't unlocking :( Encyclopedia says 100%. I really hope this isn't glitched... :( :(

rtcn63

Quiet chapter 2 spoilers

As far as anyone knows- when she's gone, it's for good.

Is there anything you need to do in particular to get the bond up for D-Dog? Or just take him on missions and have him mark stuff? Do you have to actually use his L-commands? And I don't have Quiet as a buddy yet, but same question for her. I maxed out D-Horse really quickly just using him to go from mission to mission.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
there were rumors of a return to Camp Omega (from Ground Zeroes) in Phantom Pain...what happened with that?

Probably in the same place with Chapter 3 and apparently a character model for
The Boss
:
the cutting floor.

Naedtrax

Banned
Well, i found a hacker in a FOB due to the fact he had 700+ S++ soldiers, 300k of all resources and ALOT of a "certain" item.

So i took it upon myself to go steal 4 of them, thank you kind hacker

ezekial45

Banned
I still haven't unlocked the "eliminate the
puppet soldiers
side-ops. I already cleared the main story and around 80 side-ops. I'm starting to think my game is bugged.

Top Bottom