• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

just reached Mission 30 last night, I couldn't stop playing after 27-28 but the sun started rise in the morning and I needed a nap before work so I couldn't continue into 30 :O but once (so, Mission 22 or so and beyond spoilers, forget which exactly)
epidemic started
started I was pretty hooked last night haha I
figured it out pretty fast...

my first inclination was to check their recruitment date, so I sorted all soldiers by Recruitment Descending and it seemed like a lot of them were my oldest soldiers... but not all. Only other common thing I could find between them was it seemed like they all spoke English, Russian, and Kikongo. .... but I waited a few minutes before trying to quarantine too many because I was scared there would be a negative effect if I quarantined too many incorrectly, so I went back to MB and suddenly there's like 50 more people sick :O so listened to those tapes and what Ocelot said about Quiet and 'in their mouths' and that made it pretty obvious.... I started doing soldiers that only spoke all 3 English Russian and Kikongo because for the first 300-400 soldiers, every single soldier that spoke Kikongo also spoke English and Russian lol but I started to get a few that never, so since Kikongo seemed like by far the more rare and unique of the 3, I just quaratined everyone with Kikongo.... holy shit did it take a long time to manually check 800+ soldiers for languages and quarantine those that spoke a certain language haha i tried to Sort units different ways to see if I could just sort by language but never worked... took like 20 minutes to manually quarantine everyone

after I did that though, Ocelot was super happy and said the spread of the parasite almost completely stopped so I was pretty satisfied to figure it out myself :D cool little thing

mission 28
was pretty fun... decent sniper battle... not anywhere close to The End but probably more fun than the Quiet fight

speaking of the Skulls.... they really make me miss the Cobra unit. I hate the boss characters in IV because they felt even more simplified 'emotions' than 3 was, and V's doesn't even go as far to make them unique -- just generic soldiers... would have been so little effort to not even give them names but to make some look distinct or something... not sure but it was always cool to see the Cobra Unit show up but the Skulls are just a yawn so far...

that said, Mission 29 spoilers
that Skulls boss fight was the first legitimate time I got my ass kicked so far in V... I must have spent a solid 20-30 minutes trying to perfect that fight. I probably could have beat it sooner but I have to admit it was a really really fun fight to try 'perfect' and never miss a CQC response, never get grabbed by a zombie, etc and try to S rank

so, Mission 30 is tonight and I'm pretty excited and not sure what to expect :D no matter what happens, the ride so far has been pretty awesome.. almost up to 100 hours playtime now and still loving the raw free roam gameplay and combat, and while there have been fewer cutscenes than maybe I'd have liked... I do really like all the sort of supporting open world non-cut-scene storytelling too... the smaller stories about NGOs and PFs are cool too, I really enjoy the sort of smaller scale Diamond Dogs, military economy, private forces, etc stuff -- but gotta admit, from about Mission 20-30, started to get super intrigued about all the sort of
horror story stuff with Skull Face -- that Devil's factory scene was intense as hell and I'm looking forward to see Skull Face and that metal gear walker again

Does he.. make the bullets ricochet?

Yup. If you look closely, you'll see him ricochet off of the tanks to get the guy laying down and then he ricochets off the antenna to get the guy behind cover. It's a pretty clever way of making you feel like Ocelot I'd say.

Santar

So I think I've done all the main story stuff in the game now.
I've beaten The Truth mission and A Quiet Exit
, yet I've not seen
Paz
anywhere yet.
Haw I messed up and played too far
to met her
? Or will
she show up
eventually if I keep on doing side ops and the extreme and total stealth missions?
If anybody knows some clarification would be appreciated.
Please avoid spoilers.

Chariot

, yet I've not seen
Paz
anywhere yet.
to met her
? Or will
she show up
eventually if I keep on doing side ops and the extreme and total stealth missions?
Please avoid spoilers.
You already fucked it up. From what I read from others, you completely missed it.
You wrte supposed to go to the medical bay as Ocelot said after the first Wandering Soldier mission. People who finished the game without finishing Paz said the crucial door was locked then.

Santar

You already fucked it up. From what I read from others, you completely missed it.
You wrte supposed to go to the medical bay as Ocelot said after the first Wandering Soldier mission. People who finished the game without finishing Paz said the crucial door was locked then.

Nooooo.
So I'll have to restart the entire game to get
her to show up
now?
That really really sucks.......

Chariot

Nooooo.
her to show up
now?
Before you delete everything, make sure to have the first Wandering Soldier Side OP completed and get to the Medical Bay. Look for a door wih blue lights on the second or third floor.
Maybe it works out for you, best of luck.

myco666

I did all story missions before finding Paz on Medical Platform and it wasn't locked out from me. Going through that story arc atm.

Nooooo.
her to show up
now?

You shouldn't.
There should be a door on Medical Platform second floor that you can open.
Go there to check.

Chariot

I did all story missions before finding Paz on Medical Platform and it wasn't locked out from me. Going through that story arc atm.
Oh good. Some people wrote that they were locked out after the ending, even when they were in the middle of the quest.

Santar

You shouldn't.
There should be a door on Medical Platform second floor that you can open.
Go there to check.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will try as soon as I get off work, fingers crossed!

Minamu

How do you get the black ocelot outfit? I've entered one code from my day one edition but it didn't come with that afaik. The other code isn't working, presumably due to mgo not being launched.

Just used Quiets shoot the grenade trick in a tank mission side op where I'd forgotten to bring a rocket launcher to deal with the helicopter. This game is so great when you're forced to improvise.

Ratrat

Mission 40...how the fuck are you supposed to win. I die in one hit. And it's cheap because sometimes dodging is out of the question.
Use D-walker. I fought them on top of the building near back of the airport. It made it a lot easier as it restricts their movement.

DeSolos

, yet I've not seen
Paz
anywhere yet.
to met her
? Or will
she show up
Please avoid spoilers.

Go to the medical platform, look for a door with a blue light above it on the upper levels of the main medical platform.

eso76

Woo

Mission 31 now, and the last few bits have been crazy.

Pacing is all over the place with nothing major happening for hours and then the avalanche of new informations (and cutscenes :p) and reveals but I don't think the story is thin at all, or even bad by MGS standards

well, ok the
Language activated parasite
bit is idiotic and ruins a good deal of the fiction. MG2SS Oilix were a much better idea that had some degree of credibility, by comparison.
But the theme is interesting, there's some decent writing to support it and this is Kojima anyway. I don't know what MGS games you guys have played, but this is far from the worst in the series, story wise.
Currently, at least.

Hatchtag

Banned
yeah awesome mission.

also, first time I saw enemy use Decoys haha

i'm not afraid to admit that for maybe the first 20 seconds or so, I thought they were real lol

In mission 12,
there's an enemy decoy in the place where you get Huey. It's not really useful to them since there's no soldiers in that building, but it's probably the first appearance of one in the game.

Randam

Am I the only one, who never knows on which mission he is and has no idea what others are talking about, when they mention mission 16, or 20 etc?

Vuze

Holy shit, now I know what people were talking about when they said the games checkpoint system sucks ass

Infuriating, just lost 30mins of progress... I might just pop on infinite health to avoid shit like this in the future

KORNdoggy

Am I the only one, who never knows on which mission he is and has no idea what others are talking about, when they mention mission 16, or 20 etc?

it's a bit confusing in the sense that story missions are unlocked and playable sequentially. while side ops are unlocked and playable in an out of sequence order. but not really no. they're all numbered. it's easy to figure it out.

yeah i'm sure it's sometimes a bit uncertain for most

but the mission titles could be a little bit spoilerish i guess... sort of alluding to who or what will happen at certain points, e.g. I just arrived at Mission 30 titled
Skull Face. ...and while really not a big deal, i don't want to overstate a small thing.... but I do think I enjoyed Missions 20-30 more being uncertain about ]when I may see or even face Skull Face again
. not a huge deal but i suppose there could be even worse titles later

SomTervo

Think I just unlocked the last mission.

It's been a great ride...

So mission
is the last one, right?
The Truth: The man who sold the world.
That junk about mission
is basically interesting trivia at this point?

At this point I'm really happy with the story - though my only desire now is that after the final mission we unlock like 100 cassette tapes to flesh everything out. Probably won't happen, but I'm hoping for a few at least. I fucking love cassette tapes.

Woo

Mission 31 now, and the last few bits have been crazy.

Pacing is all over the place with nothing major happening for hours and then the avalanche of new informations (and cutscenes :p) and reveals but I don't think the story is thin at all, or even bad by MGS standards

well, ok the
Language activated parasite
bit is idiotic and ruins a good deal of the fiction. MG2SS Oilix were a much better idea that had some degree of credibility, by comparison.
But the theme is interesting, there's some decent writing to support it and this is Kojima anyway. I don't know what MGS games you guys have played, but this is far from the worst in the series, story wise.
Currently, at least.

Exactly. The story is mainly fine. I just unlocked the final mission, and so far I'm very satisfied with it.

Also I love the idea of the language
-activated parasites. I reckon it's easy enough to suspend your disbelief for that plot point. However, a later tape that tries to really describe how they work absolutely fucks it up and it becomes ridiculous.

lol at that dlc.. fuck and you Konami.... smh

It's so completely minor and optional. It's such a non-issue.

Orcastar

Also I love the idea of the language
-activated parasites. I reckon it's easy enough to suspend your disbelief for that plot point. However, a later tape that tries to really describe how they work absolutely fucks it up and it becomes ridiculous.

Language-activated parasites is such a ridiculous concept to begin with, but then in the cassette tapes they double down by saying that these same parasites are responsible for the Skulls' and even the Cobra Unit's supernatural abilities, effectively replacing nanomachines as the bullshit explanation to pretty much everything seemingly supernatural. I mean nanomachines were at least somewhat believevable in that kind of "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" kind of way, but now everything is explained by fucking parasites and bacteria. I mean what is this, Resident Evil?

I only just reached chapter 2, but if they reveal that
Psycho Mantis's (I'm assuming the floating kid is him) abilities are somehow the result of the parasites too, I'm gonna be pissed.

fritzo

I finally found the "Snake Eater" tape! I love randomly finding the tapes without looking at a guide for them.

btw What's everyone's helicopter music?? "Snake Eater" for me.

Juicy Bob

Question for those who have finished the game as I think I'm right at the end:
should I do Story Episode 46 first or Side OP 150 or does it not really matter?

Chariot

I finally found the "Snake Eater" tape! I love randomly finding the tapes without looking at a guide for them.

Bless custom mp3 tapes support. I have the Gatchman Crowds theme song. My helicopter greets me grom far away with "Ga-Ga-Gatchmaaaaaan"

Setsuna

Right now its a 5 minute audio file of godzilla walking and randomly screaming

SomTervo

Language-activated parasites is such a ridiculous concept to begin with, but then in the cassette tapes they double down by saying that these same parasites are responsible for the Skulls' and even the Cobra Unit's supernatural abilities, effectively replacing nanomachines as the bullshit explanation to pretty much everything seemingly supernatural. I mean nanomachines were at least somewhat believevable in that kind of "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" kind of way, but now everything is explained by fucking parasites and bacteria. I mean what is this, Resident Evil?

I only just reached chapter 2, but if they reveal that
Psycho Mantis's (I'm assuming the floating kid is him) abilities are somehow the result of the parasites too, I'm gonna be pissed.

It is stupid, and yes it reeked of
Resident Evil
to me, too - but frankly the series has always been as stupid as this. They just steered away from
biology
. And now they aren't. I thought the
language-activated stuff was okay, personally. I think I just love the idea as a science fiction. Ridiculousness aside, it's a great idea.
... But it is literally ridiculous.

Let me know what you think of the chapter 2 developments.

GorillaJu

Question - does Mother Base automatically move shitty dudes to the waiting room and replace them with dudes best fitted to the unit? I am full on every platform but I feel like I have guys who are E ranked in there from when I first started and most everyone I pick up is A or A+ now.

Setsuna

Question - does Mother Base automatically move shitty dudes to the waiting room and replace them with dudes best fitted to the unit? I am full on every platform but I feel like I have guys who are E ranked in there from when I first started and most everyone I pick up is A or A+ now.
You are correct

The motherbase also keeps guys in certain rolls depending on there skills

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I need to know where this is, spoilers be damned.

Does anyone know if the Old Snake theme from MGSIV or the Arsenal Gear music from MGS2 are in the game...?

big_z

does the create a character in the prologue get used in the main game at all and can you change it ever? I know it becomes a character for online.

Top Bottom