• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is that worthy of a new thread? Horse armor 2.0?

We already posted about the horse armor in the Metal Gear Online thread. As far as singleplayer patched bonuses are concerned:

Snake is getting 3 costumes.
Horse is getting 2.
Females are getting 2 costumes.
And female custom character creation will be introduced into the game.

SomTervo

Do side ops raise the bond level?

Deploying with a buddy raises the bond level.

Giving them commands raises the bond level.

Those are the main ones. Actually finishing missions, IIRC, doesn't affect it. Extracting by chopper might, but I don't think it does.

It's the tapes. I said that in my post.

Listen to all the yellow tapes.

These will prompt more story-Important Side Ops. (They're good as well. Better than most CODEC conversations from the previous games.)

About Yellow tapes, do you HAVE to ACTUALLY listen to them ? I mean, can you just start the tape, fast forward it like there is no tomorrow and be done ?

Since the yellow dot dissapears, I think it works ?

Wow. Just finished 46. It was the last main story mission I had to do. A few white side ops left to clean up but damn.

Idk how to feel about the back third of this game. I'm glad I finished 46, as there's a huge info dump of story stuff via tapes but not sure if that was the best way to handle it.

Super mixed feelings about the story. Want to be mad about it sort of, but it's also obvious there was a point where they wouldn't just keep letting Kojima take forever and do whatever he wanted.

Hmmm....

JudgeN

Quiet question

Is is possible to recruit her back after she leaves during mission 45? I read crazy stuff about doing mission 40 again, and waiting a long time for her to be a buddy again

SomTervo

Wow. Just finished 46. It was the last main story mission I had to do. A few white side ops left to clean up but damn.

Idk how to feel about the back third of this game. I'm glad I finished 46, as there's a huge info dump of story stuff via tapes but not sure if that was the best way to handle it.

Super mixed feelings about the story. Want to be mad about it sort of, but it's also obvious there was a point where they wouldn't just keep letting Kojima take forever and do whatever he wanted.

Hmmm....

... I think that's
the last mission, man. I'm doing it tonight.
Unless you realise this already - cant tell from your post.

About Yellow tapes, do you HAVE to ACTUALLY listen to them ? I mean, can you just start the tape, fast forward it like there is no tomorrow and be done ?

Since the yellow dot dissapears, I think it works ?

I think so, dude. They're worth a genuine listen, though.

Okay so I need some help. Have limited time at nights to play this game after my daughter goes to bed and I've been up until 1am every night since this game came out to finish it. Want to finish this tonight if possible. It is a testament to this game that even under these conditions I'm having a blast and still wanting to play more. I've never played a game as big as this, this fast.

Spoilers for post Mission 4

I finished Mission 43. Did some side ops and 44 & 47 (repeat mission) popped up. I've been avoiding all the repeat missions and just doing side ops to keep unlocking new missions so far-- just as Jason from Giant Bomb recommended on the previous Bombcast.

I also unlocked the tape where they are suspecting Emmerich of being behind the Quarantine stuff and they want to put him on trial.

I read I had to get Quiet's max bond up to progress (which I did and got the dumb sexy rain cutscene), and the next thing I need to see is Emmerich getting dismissed from Mother Base, and then I'll be able to do Side Op 150.

I did a few side ops after getting the quiet cutscene but still no Mission 45 & 46 or side op 150. I'm assuming I just need to keep doing a few more side ops? And I assume these are the final missions in the game? After mission 47 I'm guessing any further missions are also repeats?

Are there any other special conditions I have to follow for the end game? I know I'm not supposed to equip the butterfly emblem. Also, I did not shoot Quiet in Mission 11 which I believe is what you need to do to get the ending.

J4g3r

Been trying to get the last task in mission 14 where you have to listen to all 4 prisoner interrogations and have been waiting outside this house they have the viscount in for the past 20 minutes waiting for them to interrogate him...

Nothing is happening, is this glitched?

So my guide says that mission 46 is
a secret mission?
Should I just keep playing? Just wrapped up 40. Please, no spoilers.

Do some side OPS and it should come eventually.

Been trying to get the last task in mission 14 where you have to listen to all 4 prisoner interrogations and have been waiting outside this house they have the viscount in for the past 20 minutes waiting for them to interrogate him...

Ah! I just had this bug myself. There is nothing you can do, just restart from the checkpoint.
You have to not alert anyone to unlock the talk between the viscount and the interpretor (if they are set in "alert mode", it's over)

KarmaCow

I had issues with that as well, apparently you need to back up and let the Viscount actually get in the building. The prisoner AI will flop on the ground if you're within a certain distance, even if they can't see you.

All the "tail and listen to conversation" objectives are what you'd expect from those kind of tasks, they're terrible.

rtcn63

Fuck Mission 45.

Fuck Mission 45.

Remember that you can air drop a different rocket launcher, if you already have one upgraded. And to pace yourself until the very last wave of tanks (don't rush to destroy them yet, putting yourself at risk), since then Quiet will be in danger of taking real damage and quick.

Timeaisis

I read somewhere that they don't interrogate him until nightfall. Not sure if that's true or not. I never did that mission task.

Do some side OPS and it should come eventually.

Cool, thanks.

just finished Mission 31... damn... that was awesome.

took me 4 tries to beat the boss but once I got comfortable with his attacks, and vehicles a bit.. (d-walker's rockets too), and also 2 aerial bombardments, then beat it on that 4th try and I got S rank

Prologue, Mission 12, Mission 20, and Missions 28-31... Gotta admit, I really began to like Skull face and the XOF as an enemy

25ish to 28 was interesting, and Mission 29-31 was a hell of a ride, though maybe it helped that I went into Mission 30 like a mecha-walker rambo

spent almost 2 hours on it... killed like 30 soldiers and recruited another 20 (and got E rank haha from all the alerts). so, it became pretty epic.

Mission 31 spoilers (and sort of speculation of what my guess for Chapter 2 is)
not particularly looking forward to that little physic kid and Eli becoming more important though, as I feel it's been alluding to. they feel like a young Psycho Mantis and Liquid Snake lol and obviously seems like awesome 'high' of the first chapter ending is going to be tainted by internal shit.
...looking forward to it regardless.

and at this point, regardless of what happens in Chapter 2, with the 100 hours I put into Chapter 1, I'm pretty damn satisfied

Yeah, it seems to be glitchy. My first time attempting to get that task they went to the house and nothing happened. Later I found the viscount laying out in some field for some reason.

J4g3r

I had issues with that as well, apparently you need to back up and let the Viscount actually get in the building. The prisoner AI will flop on the ground if you're within a certain distance, even if they can't see you.

All the "tail and listen to conversation" objectives are what you'd expect from those kind of tasks, they're terrible.

That worked like a charm, thanks bro!

I read somewhere that they don't interrogate him until nightfall. Not sure if that's true or not. I never did that mission task.
Not sure but it took look 20-25 minutes for me... it
seemed like the interpreter was doing an extra lap around the base and swamp for no reason. took forever for him to arrive.

probably just coincidence but he did arrive there shortly after dark too ;p

//edit// mission 14^ above btw

Am I the only one annoyed with some of the optional objectives. For example, I did Episode 5 yesterday. One of the optional objectives was to extract a prisoner trying to escape. Since he was trying to escape, I guess none of the soldiers would tell me where he was, so I couldn't get that information from interrogations. So after clearing the entire outpost, I basically ran around the outpost for about an hour, before giving up and looking it up online. In the end I both wasted an hour of my life, and still felt like a cheater for having to look it up online. I hope there are not a lot of objectives like this. Do you get some tool or item later on that would have made it easier?

Chariot

Am I the only one annoyed with some of the optional objectives. For example, I did Episode 5 yesterday. One of the optional objectives was to extract a prisoner trying to escape. Since he was trying to escape, I guess none of the soldiers would tell me where he was, so I couldn't get that information from interrogations. So after clearing the entire outpost, I basically ran around the outpost for about an hour, before giving up and looking it up online. In the end I both wasted an hour of my life, and still felt like a cheater for having to look it up online. I hope there are not a lot of objectives like this. Do you get some tool or item later on that would have made it easier?
D-Dog is not an item!

TedMilk

The game crashed just as I was extracting from a mission :(

Similar thing happened to me. I was raiding the mine in freemode. Some soldiers turned up at dawn near the entrance to the site, and the game crashed as I was heading in their direction. First crash I've had.

Do developers actually watch those video clip attachments?

SomTervo

Several. You can ignore this post if you just keep playing for another few hours.

In ascending levels of spoilerage:
There's a drug you get around R&D level 20 that lets you see people through walls.

D-Dog.

Highly upgraded Intel team.

Quiet.
D-Walker (with a high level upgrade).

Don't get too hung up on side objectives first-time through. A lot of them are practically designed for high-level replays.

I waited through all of those deployments (6+ hours tonight) to get that shotgun blueprint with the underside mount and you can't even attach a grenade launcher to it! Turns out that my dream weapon was just that, only a dream :(

Anyway, here's some fun from this evening including Snake punching someone so hard that physics break:
http://fat.gfycat.com/LivelyPlushHellbender.webm

And DD teaming up with Snake for a shockingly beautiful quad-knockout:
http://giant.gfycat.com/FatherlyMinorAidi.webm

Mission 31 spoiler and question.... if the answer is yes, please don't so how, what, why, etc...
when you're standing over Skull Face, it seemed like it was giving me a chance to pull the trigger. instead I didn't, and Miller grabbed my arm and I shot Skull Face's extremities before Emmerich later finished him of. .....assuming it was possible, if I had pulled the trigger myself, would it affect the story? or nothing changes except a slightly different small scene?
thanks haha i'm sort of curious

D-Dog is not an item!

Several. You can ignore this post if you just keep playing for another few hours.

In ascending levels of spoilerage:
There's a drug you get around R&D level 20 that lets you see people through walls.

D-Dog.

Highly upgraded Intel team.

Quiet.
D-Walker (with a high level upgrade).

Don't get too hung up on side objectives first-time through. A lot of them are practically designed for high-level replays.

Cool. Thanks!

Jintor

my custom music is pretty quiet but i just realised there's a game option i should probably fool around with to get that higher huh

finally the entire vice city ost on random will ring out over afghanistan!

Mission 31 spoiler and question.... if the answer is yes, please don't so how, what, why, etc...
when you're standing over Skull Face, it seemed like it was giving me a chance to pull the trigger. instead I didn't, and Miller grabbed my arm and I shot Skull Face's extremities before Emmerich later finished him of. .....assuming it was possible, if I had pulled the trigger myself, would it affect the story? or nothing changes except a slightly different small scene?

if you had pressed the button you would have just triggered the cutscene faster! Hardly anything would have changed!

if you had pressed the button you would have just triggered the cutscene faster! Hardly anything would have changed!
haha ok i wasn't sure i thought
maybe i could recruit him or at least interrogate and torture him for info and resource ;p since that's really at the core of it, the sort of the true main theme of the gameplay of most missions - find leaders or otherwise important figures, take their resources, and extract them to get their info :D while stealing all their metals and fuel

No. Just a slight variation of the cutscene.

Astral

I just unlocked Quiet. I haven't even leveled her up and she feels broken. I just had her murder everything and everyone was so preoccupied with her that they literally ran right past me when I was in plain sight.

Jintor

I know it's probably been done but I really enjoyed cheesing foxhound by doing a bunch of skull missions in a row, since they don't count for alert levels. I was mopping up the extreme versions of a few missions and since you can never encounter regular enemies if you want and you can't kill skulls, even though you spend the entire chapter fighting you still get the no kills total stealth bonus!

Also I cheesed Traitor's Caravan Extreme by pre-activating the truck from behind the fence, blowing up something as a distraction, hopping the fence and fultoning the truck while the skulls were distracted, then flying out on a crate.

SilentRob

I just ruined someone's day.

CPIayo8WEAAw4aS.png:large

I'm sorry.
Remember kids, don't forget upgrading your Security Forces! That guy had all thos materials lying around with about 10 guards without any armor or security devices running around.

heringer

How many bosses are there in the game? I'm 25 hours in and haven't encountered a single one yet.

edit: actually, I did have one boss fight
Quiet
but that was it.

Top Bottom