• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

I'm doing the kid extraction and I punched out the air defense system around the mine, call in the chopper which is listed as low danger, put the injured kid into the chopper, and then it just fucking explodes. No alerts, no warning, just explodes. The fuck just happened?

Chariot

I'm doing the kid extraction and I punched out the air defense system around the mine, call in the chopper which is listed as low danger, put the injured kid into the chopper, and then it just fucking explodes. No alerts, no warning, just explodes. The fuck just happened?
What? The child exploded?

Also: Spoilers!

Just completed Mission
45*
, only have one non-repeat mission unlocked
'The Truth'
. Is this really it or is there something else to follow?

Also, nice wet tits shot after Quiet was almost raped. That's definitely what we needed.

Chariot

Just completed Mission
45*
, only have one non-repeat mission unlocked
'The Truth'
. Is this really it or is there something else to follow?

Also, nice wet tits shot after Quiet was almost raped. That's definitely what we needed.
That was it. Truth and then pain, only pain. If you didn't like the story after truth join the spoiler thread. If you liked it, stay away.

TedMilk

I know it's probably been done but I really enjoyed cheesing foxhound by doing a bunch of skull missions in a row, since they don't count for alert levels. I was mopping up the extreme versions of a few missions and since you can never encounter regular enemies if you want and you can't kill skulls, even though you spend the entire chapter fighting you still get the no kills total stealth bonus!

Also I cheesed Traitor's Caravan Extreme by pre-activating the truck from behind the fence, blowing up something as a distraction, hopping the fence and fultoning the truck while the skulls were distracted, then flying out on a crate.

Wow. News to me! DOING IT!

Shahed

Okay these optional objectives are so annoying and getting to me. S Ranking all mission was pretty easy but even with Stealth/Bandana/Raiden suit getting all the objectives is doing me head in. It just takes so long. Especially the listening to conversation ones.

Been trying to get the last task in mission 14 where you have to listen to all 4 prisoner interrogations and have been waiting outside this house they have the viscount in for the past 20 minutes waiting for them to interrogate him...

Nothing is happening, is this glitched?

I did this mission the first time around and had no problems, but on a repeated run I was having the same issue.
Theres a document on the desk of one of the buildings that you follow someone to, after they leave you have to scan it

Chariot

Been trying to get the last task in mission 14 where you have to listen to all 4 prisoner interrogations and have been waiting outside this house they have the viscount in for the past 20 minutes waiting for them to interrogate him...

Nothing is happening, is this glitched?
Yes, the missing glitches easily. Some people recommend to not knock out and fulton anybody. Just let the people die and listen to everything from afar.

Raxious

Put my glitched game on a usb stick and started all over again about an hour ago. Mission 6 already and I'm currently just rushing through the story. I now know where to farm materials and such, so if I really wish to level up my stuff I can just do that. Should be a pretty fast run.

wiibomb

may be the other chopper was around, if so they could have taken down your chopper

EDIT: OMG, it was spoilered, how dangerous of me to check a spoiler

Hey guys I have some questions:

1. Is there a number displayed showing how many combat units you can send out on missions?

2. I swear I had two online "real time" missions going at the same time as the regular missions, meaning four units total. Now apparently I can only send two?

3. What should I do with these hundreds of low ranked recruits in the waiting room? Dismiss them all?

4. My main bottleneck right now is non-GMP resources (fuel and the like). Is there a way to get more of these materials faster? I recently upgraded my fulton to capture the large supply crates, but it still seems slow.

5. Should I give my rank >A recruits direct contracts? Do they walk away on their own if I don't? Can they just be straight up replaced by a lesser recruit?

6. I have this dude on my team who's labelled a "boaster" and for some reason I can't get rid of him. He has a question mark next to his lock icon... What does that mean?

Panzon

Two questions:

What happens when you extract the
creepy wandering soldier from 9 years ago
. I accidently killed him the first time and had to restart from checkpoint to extract him.

Is there more than one of them in the same mission? Or are they scattered throughout the game?

Yes there's multiple, I think it unlocks one at a time. You'll get another shot at it if he was killed. You get mementos from them which have a secret purpose...

Keep your waiting room staff until you reach FOB, as then you'll get a lot more places to fill.
Just make sure you're not missing anyone with an important skill, I rescued a zoologist and didn't get the development abilities until I manually put her in r&d.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So the cages: They're "fire and forget?" You don't need to go back to the area to get the captured animals?

KarmaCow

So the cages: They're "fire and forget?" You don't need to go back to the area to get the captured animals?

You can't recover them yourself, they're automatically recovered once you return to the ACC via heli. If you menu back to the ACC, it doesn't work. It always gets an animal, though it's random what you get (might be based on area?).

TheSeks

You can't recover them yourself, they're automatically recovered once you return to the ACC via heli. If you menu back to the ACC, it doesn't work. It always gets an animal, though it's random what you get (might be based on area?).

Correct. They will recovered when you exfiltrate with helicopter.

So you HAVE to get to the ACC via the chopper not the menu?

Okay. That makes sense. I guess I need to start placing them around areas and just doing random missions.

Is there anyway to stop the GMP decrease on redoing missions? I see some missions I've replayed with blue but some that I've replayed in the past but haven't in a while as white/normal GMP. Is it like the resources where doing five other missions will have the resource respawn?

Coppanuva

It was really cruel how they placed a jeep facing the chasm during the 'Voices' mission.

Oh man tell me about it, I drove that thing straight off the cliff first time. Though wait...

Were you not supposed to use that to drive Man on Fire into the lake before bailing out like a super spy?

Mission 30 is the easiest S Rank ever ...
Jump in D Walker + Battle dress. Drive straight through the base and done.
- S Rank in under 3 mins.

Yeah I pushed him into the water with the jeep as nothing else I tried worked & he gets pushed around by vehicles in the intro.

Top tip: you can get the 'no traces' bonus even when you set off an enemy landmine. Huge help in the over the fence total stealth mission because half the base cleared out to investigate.

sora87

I just ruined someone's day.

I'm sorry.
Remember kids, don't forget upgrading your Security Forces! That guy had all thos materials lying around with about 10 guards without any armor or security devices running around.

And this is why I will never set up FOB. Fuck that.

Should I worry about collecting resource packs? 100 a pop seems like a joke. I figure Ill worry about them once my completionist urges kick in.

Error1355

Should I worry about collecting resource packs? 100 a pop seems like a joke. I figure Ill worry about them once my completionist urges kick in.

They respawn intermittently. I'd keep picking them up if you can but I wouldn't go way out of my way for them. It adds up over time.

Haunted

Hey guys I have some questions:

1. Is there a number displayed showing how many combat units you can send out on missions?

2. I swear I had two online "real time" missions going at the same time as the regular missions, meaning four units total. Now apparently I can only send two?

3. What should I do with these hundreds of low ranked recruits in the waiting room? Dismiss them all?

4. My main bottleneck right now is non-GMP resources (fuel and the like). Is there a way to get more of these materials faster? I recently upgraded my fulton to capture the large supply crates, but it still seems slow.

5. Should I give my rank >A recruits direct contracts? Do they walk away on their own if I don't? Can they just be straight up replaced by a lesser recruit?

6. I have this dude on my team who's labelled a "boaster" and for some reason I can't get rid of him. He has a question mark next to his lock icon... What does that mean?
1. Two units per base, so four total if you have Mother Base + one FOB. You have to pay real money (build more FOBs) to get the capability to send more units out at once.

2. That should not be possible, maybe a glitch because servers were offline/out of sync?

3. Just keep them around for when you expand your platforms and have more staff capacity, there's no penalty for having a full waiting room. The AI will automatically get rid of the worst ones once the waiting room exceeds 355 people (not sure if that number is fixed, but it's what I have).

4. The economy is really harshly balanced in this game, trying to push you towards buying more FOBs (which means more combat deployment teams and faster material processing). Your only choice without investing real money is to spend a lot of time farming/grinding materials (especially fuel).

5. No one will walk away (except if your GMP's in the red, which it should never be at any point), you'll get better and better recruits as you play, so I wouldn't bother contracting any one of them directly. What's a great soldier early in the game is just average later and garbage endgame.

6. "Boaster" is a skill that leads to a player's binocular analysis being off-base. It has nothing to do with the lock. I'm actually not sure why some seemingly random characters are locked like that, I have one or two of those as well. There doesn't seem to be anything special about their skills or anything... If anyone knows more about that, I'd like to know, too.

TitusTroy

I'm still early in Chapter 2 but all this time I thought the Floating Boy was a girl...then I hear him being referenced as the 'Floating Boy'...

I have the upgraded the helicopter to its third tier, but I can't "equip" it, I press X and nothing happens. I still have the second tier upgrade equipped. What gives?

TheSeks

And this is why I will never set up FOB. Fuck that.

You kinda will want to set one up once you start to get into the level 50's for staff.

Note AFAIK Security Staff DOES count toward Army since I needed that to be 50 for the achievement to pop, so you'll probably have to make one anyway. Double so to invade for Platinum/1000g.

Haunted

So is the best way to unlock a certain side op is to just keep playing side ops? I want to play 49 for obvious reasons.
Yes, if you keep doing side ops you will unlock it eventually. If you want to speed up the process, check out where side ops 49 is going to be and focus on the side ops in that region/location (there can only be one side ops active in one region at a time).

Haunted

That you can't enter the customisation menu from the loadout screen is just bad UI design.

It's also inconsistent that you can equip some things from the development menu, but not others.

Top Bottom