• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

And this is why I will never set up FOB. Fuck that.

Unless someone corrects me, net net, you don't actually lose resources. You can only have stolen what's sitting on your FOB that's unprocessed. You won't lose processed and you won't lose unprocessed that are sitting on mother base.

Also, you get a bunch of gmp and resources everytime someone fails an invasion.

Game does a fuck awful job of explaining the FOB mechanics.

rtcn63

Thanks guys. So many damn menus in this game.

And in case you didn't know, equipping the helicopter with upgrades/armaments increases the deployment cost. Not a huge deal later on when GMP isn't scarce, but if you're just doing side ops or aren't planning on calling in the chopper for support, you can just set it back to the base configuration until needed.

And in case you didn't know, equipping the helicopter with upgrades/armaments increases the deployment cost. Not a huge deal later on when GMP isn't scarce, but if you're just doing side ops or aren't planning on calling in the chopper for support, you can just set it back to the base configuration until needed.

Oh yeah, I realized that a long time ago. I don't use the upgrades boxes I developed, just the base ones, since they cost quite a lot.

Muffdraul

Not sure but it took look 20-25 minutes for me... it
seemed like the interpreter was doing an extra lap around the base and swamp for no reason. took forever for him to arrive.

probably just coincidence but he did arrive there shortly after dark too ;p

//edit// mission 14^ above btw

Not a coincidence,
Miller (or Ocelot?) mentions at some point that the interrogation will take place at night. But I think they only get that bit of intel if you rescue one of the other particular prisoners first.

1. Two units per base, so four total if you have Mother Base + one FOB. You have to pay real money (build more FOBs) to get the capability to send more units out at once.

2. That should not be possible, maybe a glitch because servers were offline/out of sync?

3. Just keep them around for when you expand your platforms and have more staff capacity, there's no penalty for having a full waiting room. The AI will automatically get rid of the worst ones once the waiting room exceeds 355 people (not sure if that number is fixed, but it's what I have).

4. The economy is really harshly balanced in this game, trying to push you towards buying more FOBs (which means more combat deployment teams and faster material processing). Your only choice without investing real money is to spend a lot of time farming/grinding materials (especially fuel).

5. No one will walk away (except if your GMP's in the red, which it should never be at any point), you'll get better and better recruits as you play, so I wouldn't bother contracting any one of them directly. What's a great soldier early in the game is just average later and garbage endgame.

6. "Boaster" is a skill that leads to a player's binocular analysis being off-base. It has nothing to do with the lock. I'm actually not sure why some seemingly random characters are locked like that, I have one or two of those as well. There doesn't seem to be anything special about their skills or anything... If anyone knows more about that, I'd like to know, too.

Thanks! That cleared all my confusion.

xptoxyz

I have a question (spoilers mission 31) :
When choosing to mercy kill Skullface or not does the cutscene differ? I didn't shoot him, nevertheless, from what I read people seem to say same thing happens Kaz "makes" you shoot the limbs.
Is that right?

DD's animations alone make him by far the best buddy.

aK5b.png

cK5b.png

bK5b.png

Alienous

I have a question (spoilers mission 31) :
When choosing to mercy kill Skullface or not does the cutscene differ? I didn't shoot him, nevertheless, from what I read people seem to say same thing happens Kaz "makes" you shoot the limbs.
Is that right?

I believe so.

The only difference, as I've heard it, is
if you choose to shoot Big Boss fires are Skull Face's chest, then you see Big Boss look like how he did as he escaped the hospital, then it flashes back to him as he looks now and the camera pans back to let you shoot again (for the same effect) or wait for Kaz to help your shoot his limbs.

Qwell

I just ruined someone's day.

I'm sorry.
Remember kids, don't forget upgrading your Security Forces! That guy had all thos materials lying around with about 10 guards without any armor or security devices running around.

I'm upgrading my Base Development on my FOB to the last upgrade so I finally went and upgraded my security, I put just about everything at max, and I did max out laser grid, decoys, drones, and everything else. My security cost is like 170k ... still not sure how that works, is that what I'm charged during each invasion? Or do I get charged 170k each day?

I'm a little curious to see just how well they can defend, but I also don't want anyone to try for fear of losing stuff :( Just have a few more things I want to develop then I'll go HAM on FOB as I won't mind as much if someone retaliates.

Coppanuva

DD's animations alone make him by far the best buddy

DD is best buddy always and forever. He's a real Diamond Dog. Also, he's family now (but really, I like using him most of the time, D-Horse was good until I got a jeep, but now I can have a jeep AND DD RIDES IN IT WITH ME LIKE A TOTAL BRO).

I'm stuck after completing mission 21
I was dropped in the battle hangar after completing the mission but there is absolutely nothing to do there? yet there's still a yellow dot on the map. Just went ahead and did a few side missions but I'm getting no new story mission prompts

How the fuck do you get the Eagle Codename?

Been doing nothing but headshots for 10+ missions and all it gives me is Fox or whatever weapon-specific codename. Shit's pissing me off...

Chariot

Been doing nothing but headshots for 10+ missions and all it gives me is Fox or whatever weapon-specific codename. Shit's pissing me off...
Maybe headshotting wiith two different weapons and have them both take exactly the same amount of takedowns.

SJRB

Gold Member

Eagle is >90% headshots. Fox is awarded when not detected in the last three missions you've done [reflex mode is allowed].

BadHand

I just ruined someone's day.

CPIayo8WEAAw4aS.png:large

I'm sorry.
Remember kids, don't forget upgrading your Security Forces! That guy had all thos materials lying around with about 10 guards without any armor or security devices running around.

Jokes on you, you stole 48K worth of biological materials. Guy was probably trying to give it away.

How many bosses are there in the game? I'm 25 hours in and haven't encountered a single one yet.

edit: actually, I did have one boss fight
Quiet
but that was it.
Since I don't see anyone providing a straight answer, there are officially
seven boss types
throughout the main campaign. However, there's some controversy over their implementation as each boss is encountered
at least twice either through ordinary/reprise main missions
. Several of the battles are
entirely optional potentially unbeknownst to the player as you might recall Miller tending to encourage a retreat over a direct conflict
. Hideo Kojima stated this odd choice was intentional as he felt
a pacifist withdraw would be an advancement over "traditional game design whereby you must defeat bosses" as it contrasts philosophically against the freedom presented in an open-world
. I'll provide a complete list of the bosses below for those interested in spoilers. Apologies for the awkward formatting of them, but I tagged them in a way to make them listed one at a time for those preferring faint reveals by choice:

01) The Skulls [Mist Version]
02) The Skulls [Armor Version]
03) The Skulls [Camouflage Version]
04) Quiet
05) "The Man on Fire"
06) Eli, aka "The White Mamba"
07) Metal Gear Sahelanthropus

Maybe headshotting wiith two different weapons and have them both take exactly the same amount of takedowns.

Eagle is >90% headshots. Fox is awarded when not detected in the last three missions you've done [reflex mode is allowed].
Figures, right after I post that it gives it to me on the next mission.

I don't know what the hold-up was, I was headshotting every guy, with different guns, tranq first then lethal, stealthy, get spotted, whatever. Did that for 10+ missions and nothing. The 3 missions might be what the guide says but it doesn't always work.

sora87

So, chapter 2 side op -
Extracting the AI pod.. both doors are red and won't let me in, tried phantom cigaring for a day or two, nothing changed. Don't tell me I have to leave and come back...

SJRB

Gold Member
So, chapter 2 side op -
Extracting the AI pod.. both doors are red and won't let me in, tried phantom cigaring for a day or two, nothing changed. Don't tell me I have to leave and come back...

Chances are you're at the wrong hangar..

Saven

Banned
So, I just finished
Mission 45. I was expecting a lot worse and another Mission 29 in terms of extreme difficulty, but I didn't even die at all lol. I just hid behind the palace and shot rockets from there.

But now onto the final mission.....when I get back from work :p

BadHand

That's why you sell your BM.

Is it worth it though? it costs 10K GMP to Fulton a container away. I don't know how much BM goes for but you make a good point.

I have a lot of male soldiers on my base and I'm automatically "mining" way more than I need and avoid the BM containers on FOBs.

Is it worth it though? it costs 10K GMP to Fulton a container away. I don't know how much BM goes for but you make a good point.

That's what I was doing late-game when I had shit-tons of resources that I no longer needed (fuel is the only one you really need). Sold a bunch of useless shit, then developed more items.

xptoxyz

I believe so.

The only difference, as I've heard it, is
if you choose to shoot Big Boss fires are Skull Face's chest, then you see Big Boss look like how he did as he escaped the hospital, then it flashes back to him as he looks now and the camera pans back to let you shoot again (for the same effect) or wait for Kaz to help your shoot his limbs.

Huh, so not as much different as something extra. Thanks.

I have a lot of male soldiers on my base and I'm automatically "mining" way more than I need and avoid the BM containers on FOBs.

Yes, basically everything you can fulton gives you more GMP in return when you sell it than it's fultoning cost.

Qwell

That 17k fuel tho :,(
At least its only unprocessed and there are quite a few missions where you can farm fuel containers really easy. If you get the
wormhole fulton
just hit up mission 12 a few times. Only took me about 25 minutes to get about 100k since its right at the beginning.

Branson

So last night I did the side op of rescuing the body of (chapter 2)
the burning man. I mean, it was kind of expected it was volgin, but the damn cutscene that played was not what I was expecting. Him actually not being on fire and seeing normal ass Volgin was an amazing moment for some reason. I really liked that part. And now he's at mother base. The fuck. Anyway. I really liked that. And the explanation was kind of funny but lol"he was kept alive by revenge".

rtcn63

So, chapter 2 side op -

I know you've found a solution, but I had the same problem, then figured maybe they'd turn green if enemies stopped being alerted. (I uh... had frustrations, because I first when to Huey's hangar and couldn't figure out where it was, so just started running around willy nilly)

kris.

Banned
Mission 22 is fucking bullshit

Is that the one where
you retake the platform?
That was absurdly easy.
Interrogate one of the guys, that way you know where the commander is. Then snipe him from basically where the mission starts because he walk around the top of the platform and comes into visibility every minute or so.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OH MY GOD. FUCK THESE SCORPIONS.

FUCK THESE GERBILS TOO.

This pain. You feel it too, don't you?

Common my ass. I keep putting these cages where Power Pyx says to and I have yet to get a Scorpion.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Mission 22 is fucking bullshit

It was my first and so far only choke point.

Retaking mission, right...?

Is that the one where
you retake the platform?
That was absurdly easy.
Interrogate one of the guys, that way you know where the commander is. Then snipe him from basically where the mission starts because he walk around the top of the platform and comes into visibility every minute or so.

You monster.

Should I be selling the weapons I fulton?

I don't have the FOBs unlocked yet. Should I save them for that?

From what I've experienced they're not that important to your FOB.

AA is useless as invaders can't call in air support and they're rarely stay still enough to be hit by mortars. Developing security measures through R&D are far more important to base defense than those weapons IMO.

Just sell them.

Woffls

OH MY GOD. FUCK THESE SCORPIONS.

FUCK THESE GERBILS TOO.

This pain. You feel it too, don't you?

Common my ass. I keep putting these cages where Power Pyx says to and I have yet to get a Scorpion.
I think I got a bunch of scorpions in this location whilst looking for the Leopard Tortoise. Honestly, just look for the Leopard Tortoise instead as you'll get a bunch of scorpions before that bastard shows up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJXmoqxw1s

The upside is anywhere from like 1 - 10 million GMP

Top Bottom