• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Travo

Holy crap! Mission 29 spoilers! I
was having the hardest time finishing off the Skulls. Quiet got fultoned back in the previous mission so I was all alone. I couldn't put enough rockets in them before they got the upper hand. Out of desperation, I crawled through a shaft under ground. They could reach me and I bombarded their asses.

backlot

I feel your pain, same thing happened with me, posted it on here a few days back. A complete bastard of a glitch so we're basically locked out of getting 100%.

Hopefully they'll patch this. I haven't gone back to collect the blueprints I've missed yet but I'm afraid this happening.

I love this game sometimes.

untitled_1_by_jax765-d9a2d3j.gif

damn this is great. i didn't know the kick animation changed like that.

which reminds me. i had a guard fall off a ladder because doge was barking right below him.

daveo42

Banned
Final photo for the med bay section of Mother Base (major side-quest spoiler):
So not a retcon? I can live with that. It just means that BB is way way way more messed up thanks to being in a coma for 9 years. I had always thought that maybe it was just in his head too since early on. The place was 100% cut off from the rest of the base and felt "dream-like" too. Glad that was the finale of Paz's story and how BB dealt with the grief of her death.

Saven

Banned
Just finished Mission 43.

Jesus. Just...Damn man.

537751_1404970247611_331_225.jpg

You feel it too don't you?

That was a rough mission. I nearly cried when I had to mow down all of my comrades that had no idea why they Big Boss was betraying them even though he didn't want to. Very powerful stuff.

Quick

Banned

This happened to me early on. It might've been during an early side-op or main story.

I was in a mission where I was supposed to "Eliminate" three soldiers. I extracted the soldiers I needed plus some extra, and the yellow marker was telling me there's something else in the house. I walk in and there's nothing.

537751_1404970247611_331_225.jpg

You feel it too don't you?

That was a rough mission. I nearly cried when I had to mow down all of my comrades that had no idea why they Big Boss was betraying them even though he didn't want to. Very powerful stuff.

What made it so awful was when you pointed your gun at them, it came up with their name over them. Then when you shot them it gave you that cold "Member has died" shit. I think why it hurt me so much was one of them was a girl I was doing Side Ops with to boost her stats and I recognized her and she said "I...I don't understand...help me." And I like...had to come back. That was super heavy.

I think that mission's powerfulness can bary depending on how you view motherbase and interact with it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
60+ hours and finally on to Chapter 2. What a game!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Oh right, Does it have all the cool effects like "V has come to" into the alternate title screen?

Not sure about that part but it does include the beginning of the song and the pull up of the camera to the mirror (JUST ANOTHER DAY IN A WAR WITHOUT END - OUTER HEAVEN) e.t.c.

What's the fastest way to beat Mission 16? I give up. Keep trying and failing this one.

You start by heading straight to the airport north west side. There's a section of wall with a box under that lets you in where there's a missing section of razorwire. Stick to the wall of the building in there and the skulls won't see you. Then you need to let them shamble towards you until they're away from the truck.
If you have cargo 2 fultons you can just lift the truck out and then head south to the crates and climb on one and hold the fulton button for an aerial getaway.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How do you know where to look without using an online guide?

I have about 33% to find but don't see anything in the iDroid's encyclopedia to hint as to where to find them. Habitats are listed as unknown.

You don't. Use a guide, the one on Steam was pretty decent for giving you a marker location to mark to go and trap.

Sub_Level

The extreme variant of Cloaked in Silence is crazy hard. I don't know if I can do it. One hit kills in a fight that is intentionally long of brutal. The supply drop trick doesn't work any more either.

Protip: Stand up and then immediately crouch again then after she fires stand up and shoot her. If you lose track of her use your scope to hear her with your directional mic (its ridiculously cool that this feature is still being used 14 years after MGS2). Or you could use the infinitely superior methods:

I cheesed it by marking her from behind cover and putting a tree between us. You can see her and shoot through trees, but Quiet has no vision if you're behind a tree. It makes the fight pretty easy.

Alternatively, if you a true big boss you can do this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8yfRnlCBc

Sub_Level

Reminder to everyone that D Walker is the best buddy for Side Ops.

You get travel with it. It teleports to you if you call it with a whistle. You can load yourself with assault and silenced sniper rifles and just uses its missiles if you encounter a helicopter you need to take out.

It is perfect. And it totally fits the MGS AI aesthetic.

edit: Also you don't get knocked off under fire like you do from D Horse. And you can CQC guards when you run out of ammo. Wow.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really glad I beat Chapter 1 before
everyone and their mom decided to run that infamous quote into the ground at every chance they can take.

Yeah, lmao. It's not even that bad.

kai3345

Banned
On chapter 2, mostly just trying to advance the story at this point - I don't need to do these EXTREME and SUBSISTENCE missions to move the story forward, right?

anddo0

Can we snipe helicopters like PW allowed us to do?

One of my favorite things to do in PW was snipe helicopter pilots for non-lethal fulton extract. I don't see an option to do that in this game.

Is there at least a way to down the heli without killing the pilot?

rtcn63

Can we snipe helicopters like PW allowed us to do?

One of my favorite things to do in PW was snipe helicopter pilots for non-lethal fulton extract. I don't see an option to do that in this game.

Is there at least a way to down the heli without killing the pilot?

I think someone said Quiet is capable of talking out gunship pilots if you command her to attack (the gunship).

Alternatively, if you a true big boss you can do this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8yfRnlCBc

Does the bike jacket make you less noticeable or something?

Because whenever I so much as moved out from cover Quiet would either shoot me or change location if I got close. I have no idea how he just sprinted up to her like that.

The first time I fought her, I figured the only way I could keep her as a buddy was to take her in alive, so no lethal weapons allowed. I tried for a while to sneak up behind her or get within range of my tranquilizer pistol (I couldn't unlock the tranquilizer sniper rifle yet) without success. Eventually I just got frustrated and sniped her with a normal rifle.

RedSnake

Stuck at 99% because of the blueprint glitch... I'm missing the G44 one. I'm kinda pissed but I bet this will get fixed eventually.

Time to invade some FOB's!

Durden77

Usually when games try to do things like mission 43 does in this game it doesn't hit me that hard, but man....that was rough.

The worst was unlocking that door downstairs with all the guys in it, and them saying "lets let the Boss decide." It worked very well in showing Big Boss' many regrets resurfacing as well. Made that ashes scene feel legit. Didn't know how they were going to make that work.

so uhhh, how do you infiltrate someone? I just built an FBO, there are no infiltration targets in the menu

Edit: nvm, one popped up after backing out several times

Jintor

Spent like an hour clearing a path for huey to not get hit by guards on his mission extraction only to get tagged by
__________sahalanthropus
at the end.

Any ideas how to cheese it for the mission award? I took out the AA radar but the chopper still inexplicably can't come into the base

wiibomb

my goodness!!! my crew is falling like flies because of
the infection
, they told me I could
Identify them
, but in any case I haven't found any way

ZangBa

I like how I send out my S-A++ ranked guys out to gather some plants in an E ranked mission, and they fail while someone dies. How do you die picking flowers, lmao.

ezekial45

Banned
This is driving me nuts. I can't activate the eliminate puppet soldiers side-opszThe guide says to complete 32, but I already did that.

I'm pretty excited sure my file is bugged.

Vibrant

Banned
On mission 40. Feeling burnt out. You can make a game so long before it starts to get boring. Also there wasn't a need for chapter 2 at all...

daveo42

Banned
That mission 43:
Is it just me or did that whole extra parasite outbreak feel like it was Kojima's way of giving Snake more character while also feeling like it was unnecessary? I loved the atmosphere of the mission and the pain of killing my own men, but it all came off a little...sloppy in presentation.

Just my two cents. Interested in what others thought of the whole section.

Sub_Level

On mission 40. Feeling burnt out. You can make a game so long before it starts to get boring. Also there wasn't a need for chapter 2 at all...

The timer for a nuke alone is 24 hours. Not sure what that works out to in real life time but its still ridiculously long. This game does not respect your time. You have to be willing to invest.

Spinluck

A little unrelated.

I watched this montage of Sutherland putting people sleeper hold on the show 24. For some reason I found it incredibly hilarious.

"Don't fight it, don't fight it..."

Still seemed like a pointless change to the cast. Didn't really mind his performance though.

TitusTroy

question about Wandering Mother Base Soldiers Side-Op...

so I completed all 10 of the 'Extract Wandering Mother Base Soldier' Side-Ops and showed all 10 pictures to Paz...what do I need to do next to complete her story?...I also noticed that there's still 1 Memento missing in my list...how do I get it?

KarmaCow

question about Wandering Mother Base Soldiers Side-Op...

so I completed all 10 of the 'Extract Wandering Mother Base Soldier' Side-Ops and showed all 10 pictures to Paz...what do I need to do next to complete her story?...I also noticed that there's still 1 Memento missing in my list...how do I get it?

The last picture is outside the room. Show that to her.

Top Bottom