• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Lol, I went back to MB to be greeted by a cutscene of my men saluting me while trying not to throw up because of how bad I smell. Ocelot then threw a bucket of water over me.

Didn't realise that I hadn't showered in so long. XD

komplanen

Chances of me holding my 5/5 personal review for this game after all the
subsistence and extreme versions of old missions
are very slim right now. Especially after the repetitive side ops.

Also story wise
Volgin was completely pointless
and I'm starting to turn on how the story is presented overall.

It was all almost too good before chapter 1 ended.

Jintor

Any tips on Cloaked in Silence extreme?

You can mark past cover without exposing yourself if you can snap into cover, and even when she shakes your mark you can still see where she's going because she throws up dust everywhere she runs (thermals also help).

Her reaction time is godlike, but she still has to reload. If you're brave you can bait it by aiming for a split second, waiting for her shot, then quickly rezooming and shooting her. But I found it a lot easier to maneuver until there was a tree between her and you, and then to just shoot her through the tree using the mark for help.

It's safest to play it as a sniping game, but if you're brave and you think you know where she'll be, it can be worth it to try and rush up and punch-combo her to death.

CHC

74FB9010CB9A0DF5647059781F2FE8AF918D5ED2

Yes. This man will be coming with me now.

He's coming too?

Cptkrush

Any tips on Cloaked in Silence extreme?
Dunno if this still works in extreme, but mark her and drop an ammo/fulton supply on her. When she moves, do it again. It has to be ammo resupply, I learned that when I tried dropping weapons and vehicles on her only for her to move at the last second

SomTervo

Are there people out there happy with how the game concluded and the story content? So far, I've only heard negative experiences. Of course, those voices are usually the loudest, particularly in the aftermath, so are there any gaffers who were satisfied with the endings and how the story wrapped up?

I know Peacewalker gets a ton of hate, but I quite liked and enjoyed the game and thought the end boss and normal ending were entertaining. I didn't feel the need to pursue the grind for the true ending. I know it ties directly into GZ and PP, but I was burnt out at that point on PW. I plan to do a Big Boss saga playthrough at some point (MGS3-PP), so will get the true endings on those playthroughs.

I finished it at 2am this moning and this afternoon listened to all the final tapes

Personally, I love it. I think it's brilliant. And the only hanging plot threads are secondary. All the important shit is totally tied off and it's got an ingenious... Twist isnt even the right word. Just a subversion. I wont say anything else because, you know. It'll affect people's opinions.

Deffo my fave MGS game, and imo it has the best story out of all of them.

Moronwind

Banned
Dunno if this still works in extreme, but mark her and drop an ammo/fulton supply on her. When she moves, do it again. It has to be ammo resupply, I learned that when I tried dropping weapons and vehicles on her only for her to move at the last second

That won't work on extreme.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I finished it at 2am this moning and this afternoon listened to all the final tapes

Personally, I love it. I think it's brilliant. And the only hanging plot threads are secondary. All the important shit is totally tied off and it's got an ingenious... Twist isnt even the right word. Just a subversion. I wont say anything else because, you know. It'll affect people's opinions.

Deffo my fave MGS game, and imo it has the best story out of all of them.

Thank fuck. Not blowing smoke up your arse but your opinion counts in my house. I was getting depressed hearing all the negativity when I was enjoying the hell out of it (Mission 23 at the moment).

Thought I was taking crazy pills. XD

Mission 31
would anything have happened had I decided not to shoot skullface?

Yup.

BB/Kaz shoot off his hand/leg and leave him to suffer, with Kaz telling him to finish himself off... Then Huey kills Skullface.

Actually I'm not sure what happens if you
choose to shoot him, so maybe it's no different.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yup.

BB/Kaz shoot off his hand/leg and leave him to suffer, with Kaz telling him to finish himself off... Then Huey kills Skullface.

Actually I'm not sure what happens if you
choose to shoot him, so maybe it's no different.

They imagine that, huey just kills him

Ludens

Banned
Completed Chapter 1. Why the preview of Chapter 2 looks so much better than chapter 1?
I mean, I'm having 60 fps on PC with graphics maxed out, but that preview is so much smoother than the other cutscenes in the game.

28 is easily one of the best mission in the game, intense from start to finish.

29 however is underwhelming.
What I was doing just climb to the top of the hangar and shoot them with machine gun while avoiding the rocks for about 10 minutes.

Security sure is tight on mission 30. Got spotted multiple times and just barely enough to obtain C rank. (story related impression below)
Sins of the Father song during the cutscene is so out of place.

Got the reference for title of the spoiler thread. When The XOF soldiers grabbing Skull Face while saying that is hilarious. He's chuuni as fuck

He's coming too?

You're gonna extract HIM?

Nottle

Thanks for tips on Cloaked in SIlence guys, but I cheated and brought a tank lol S ranking we outchea

I died and retried that mission like 20 times because I was going for no fire arms, I didn't get it because shock decoys count as fire arms i guess. PROTIP for anyone who wants to do it without fire arms, use the fully charged stun fist. Still got an S rank though.

wiibomb

Thank fuck. Not blowing smoke up your arse but your opinion counts in my house. I was getting depressed hearing all the negativity when I was enjoying the hell out of it (Mission 23 at the moment).

I left yesterday at the start of mission 31 at 2AM and I gotta say that at least for what I've been seeing it has been incredibly good, there are some loose ends that I would like to conclude in later chapters if posible, but in mayority I really love it

It's curious that in my case I've been getting all this negativity to somewhat affect me in my enjoyment, I managed to put that appart and enjoy the game for what it is and not what others tell me how it needs to be.

SomTervo

Haha, cheers man.

I will caveat what I say - it definitely isn't for everyone. People who are... To use problematic terminology, 'nerds' for the story might not be that happy. Imo it still does a great job of cementing the entire series' lore together, but that's not the 'point' of it.

The conclusion is also great in a very different way to what the proper MGS-style story missions are like (eg mission 6, 12, 18,etc).

I'll stop, anyway. Look forward to your opinions, Meaty!

I finished the game a couple of days ago, and let it sit in my mind for a bit. It's the best playing MGS game so far (even if I think MGS3 is up there, unintuitive controls aside), but the story left me really uninspired and bored. I would say that's immemorable, and quite nothing major happened except for the opening bits. The rest was "been there, done that". Characters were literally thrown away (wont spoil anything), or we were given an inferior version of a previously beloved character (ocelot).
Last thing: maybe it's not her fault, and she was mis-cast or badly directed, but she does a really poor job (
as a mime and as a speaking actress
).
It's a very good game, not a good MGS entry imo.

Lanrutcon

Could someone (spoiler free) break down the Quiet mechanics for me?

As in, how to keep her or get her back or whatever the choices are. I don't want to screw myself in the long run. I think she leaves at some point or something? can I avoid this while continuing on? if not, can I get her back afterwards?

- I'm on mission 19.
- I've maxed my rep with her.

Jintor

Could someone (spoiler free) break down the Quiet mechanics for me?

As in, how to keep her or get her back or whatever the choices are. I don't want to screw myself in the long run. I think she leaves at some point or something? can I avoid this while continuing on? if not, can I get her back afterwards?

- I'm on mission 19.
- I've maxed my rep with her.

customise your emblem. put a butterfly on it. don't take it off
until you feel like letting her wander off/you want to play mission 45.

Jintor

Hahaha, didn't even think of that. Do you have like 10 seconds clear time? xD

oooh, that'll be a good project for tommorrow. I was just talking about doing them normally, I didn't even think about pre-trapping the areas.

Med strut is best and easiest

I'm one mission behind you, and, yeah, reading the negativity kind of puts it under a cloud. I'll take whatever I can, and if there's at least a few people who enjoyed the story, I'll hold onto to that while I'm making my way through the game. Really keen to find out what the "lust for...." thing is all about in the spoiler topic. Sounds like typical Kojima insanity. At the moment I'm ignoring the side ops and just trying to make my way through the story. I don't want to burn out before the end and it gives me something new to look forward to on a second playthrough.

Sifl

46 is bad and it should feel bad
I don't actually think it's too terrible. It's just that the story is so disjointed that it makes it seem worse (imo). If there was something big leading up to it and it not just coming out of nowhere I would've liked it.

Ludens

Banned
So I just saw the
jeep's ride.

I really don't know how the hell KojiPro managed to fuck this so hard.

I mean,
the script seems just too much longer compared to the travel. So, what can we do? Simple: put Sins of Father in so we can fill the gap. But simply, it doesn't work. Venom doesn't speak at ALL here, he really doesn't give a fuck about what is happening in this game. Skull Face explains his dumb plan, and hell if it's dumb, than he shuts up and the song occurs. But me, as a player...well, I didn't feel nothing. The song is out of place, here, this scene is maybe the worst thing I saw in a MGS game. Thsi game feels so unfinished...it hurts.
]

SomTervo

I'm one mission behind you, and, yeah, reading the negativity kind of puts it under a cloud. I'll take whatever I can, and if there's at least a few people who enjoyed the story, I'll hold onto to that while I'm making my way through the game. Really keen to find out what the "lust for...." thing is all about in the spoiler topic. Sounds like typical Kojima insanity. At the moment I'm ignoring the side ops and just trying to make my way through the story. I don't want to burn out before the end and it gives me something new to look forward to on a second playthrough.

I really like the story and almost everything about it - but I am definitely in the minority as far as I can tell.

Then again, majorities are usually silent, and the critics seemed to love it, too, so maybe it's not just me. It's definitely not a plot-focused ending.

Also, don't get hyped about the 'lust for' line. It's a great bit, but nothing hugely impactful storywise. It's just a good bit, perfectly ripe for riffing on meme-wise.

So I just saw the
jeep's ride.

I really don't know how the hell KojiPro managed to fuck this so hard.

I mean,
the script seems just too much longer compared to the travel. So, what can we do? Simple: put Sins of Father in so we can fill the gap. But simply, it doesn't work. Venom doesn't speak at ALL here, he really doesn't give a fuck about what is happening in this game. Skull Face explains his dumb plan, and hell if it's dumb, than he shuts up and the song occurs. But me, as a player...well, I didn't feel nothing. The song is out of place, here, this scene is maybe the worst thing I saw in a MGS game. Thsi game feels so unfinished...it hurts.
]

Fix that spoiler, bub. Although it's not a big one.

Also it was a fairly dumb bit. I liked it on some level, but it was also dumb.

Combat deployment was done better in Peace Walker....
As long as you threw enough stuff in a unit to boost its attack power to be higher than the one from the enemies, you would win. Every time.

In MGSV it's just RNG and of course I lost on the one mission that would have given me 20k fuel units and now it's gone from the selection :<

Oh and what's the point of the online ones? Ok fine, you can do them while you're not playing but the timers are so long (2 days???) and the rewards are worse than the D missions from the offline deployments...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, cheers man.

I will caveat what I say - it definitely isn't for everyone. People who are... To use problematic terminology, 'nerds' for the story might not be that happy. Imo it still does a great job of cementing the entire series' lore together, but that's not the 'point' of it.

The conclusion is also great in a very different way to what the proper MGS-style story missions are like (eg mission 6, 12, 18,etc).

I'll stop, anyway. Look forward to your opinions, Meaty!

I'm definitely a lore 'nerd', but I'm pretty open to whatever Kojima's brings to the table regardless of it retconning previous storylines or anything. So long as it actually has a point and isn't the slap-dash, mish-mash, "everything and the kitchen sink" approach that Kojima's obligingly took with MGSIV, I think I'll be fine. :)

I left yesterday at the start of mission 31 at 2AM and I gotta say that at least for what I've been seeing it has been incredibly good, there are some loose ends that I would like to conclude in later chapters if posible, but in mayority I really love it

It's curious that in my case I've been getting all this negativity to somewhat affect me in my enjoyment, I managed to put that appart and enjoy the game for what it is and not what others tell me how it needs to be.

That's great to hear. I desperately want to find out what happens but I refuse to rush the (potentially) last Metal Gear.

Popsickles

Lol, I went back to MB to be greeted by a cutscene of my men saluting me while trying not to throw up because of how bad I smell. Ocelot then threw a bucket of water over me.

Didn't realise that I hadn't showered in so long. XD

Now repeat that with Quiet at 100% Bond and see what happens

Greddleok

Really hate how everyone knows Quiet leaves at some point and asks how to keep her. Just let her go for fucks sake. You get one of the few good story moments in the game.

Fixed it, but everyone knows it already. Then asks for a way to fix it without spoilers. Makes me roll my eyes every time.

Top Bottom