• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid but simple question -

Just literally started playing MGSV and it asks for your name and birthday and wanted to know what the ideal / correct name and birthday should be? I don't want to give Big Boss my actual name as I think that would be stupid. Any suggestions? Thanks.

rtcn63

Just literally started playing MGSV and it asks for your name and birthday and wanted to know what the ideal / correct name and birthday should be? I don't want to give Big Boss my actual name as I think that would be stupid. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pick a nearby date for the birthday (month/day). Name doesn't seem to matter.

I am struggling to get the
materials engineer from mission 14
, I know its
one of the prisoners
but it I extract them, I am not getting him. I even have all tasks done on the mission with an S rank, one of the tasks is to
extract 3 prisoners being held at kiziba camp
, but still nothing.
I have just tried a speed run, extracting
all 4 prisoners
using
stealth camo
, but nothing.
Any ideas why this is happening?

edit- just spotted the him in my KIA/Former list, apparently he was dismissed. Is that it now, am I not able to get him back? Its stopping me from upgrading a few items.

edit 2 - Did the level again extracting only the 4 targets, didn't auto assign, found him in the waiting room, then reassigned him.

____

Do enemies ever catch on? Like a widespread PSA that if you see a dog with an eyepatch, a ruff exterior, and a knife, he's probably working with Snake? I didn't use him much.

They're never really bothered by his presence in general, but later on when he starts to attack, enemies will shoot him and he'll return to MB by Fulton.

kai3345

Banned
Ok, sounds like I'm at a wall, in spoiler tags can someone please detail everything I need to do to unlock the true ending? Not
Quiet's ending, which Google tells me I don't have to do to unlock the true ending

Ishida

Banned

Manly McBeefington.

FjZCH4Y.png

Put around 70 hours into this, and I loved it. But now the remaining content kinda feels like a grind. Getting all the mission objectives, S ranks on missions, etc... doesn't seem that appealing. Most likely gonna check back from time to time and when MGO is released I'll put all my time into that.

Ok, sounds like I'm at a wall, in spoiler tags can someone please detail everything I need to do to unlock the true ending? Not
Quiet's ending, which Google tells me I don't have to do to unlock the true ending

I think you just need to do more side ops and the last cutscene and then mission should pop.

SJRB

Gold Member
Googling is giving me differing reports. Some people are saying I need to do all the subsistence missions

Well those "some people" are wrong. Be sure you've done all the yellow-marked missions, and listened to the yellow-marked tapes. Also be sure you've visited Mother Base recently.

if it's still not unlocked, just do more Side Ops. It's literally as simple as that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not even at chapter 2 and this game is getting long in the tooth.

I'm 68 hours in at 70% completion.

It gets yawn-inducing for sure. I've played it for this long so it did something right but damn for every really sweet stealth action experience there is a mundane hour of helicopter rides, collecting things, and traveling across lands.

Early in the game but is there a reason some Side Ops don't clear? I did a prisoner extraction, completed it, and it even had a little check mark next to it but it was still appearing as an active/available mission on my list

SJRB

Gold Member
Early in the game but is there a reason some Side Ops don't clear? I did a prisoner extraction, completed it, and it even had a little check mark next to it but it was still appearing as an active/available mission on my list

Some side ops can be done multiple times to get more/better results. Better results aren't anways guaranteed though.

Some side ops can be done multiple times to get more/better results. Better results aren't anways guaranteed though.

ah okay. Makes sense. This particular mission went to shit twice and I was forced to go all commando, and the 2nd time I got the prisoner killed lol.

Sub_Level

Some Side Ops stay open for some reason. Like 1 in 15. A couple of the prisoner extractions apply.

So you would think maybe something changes with those side ops as you progress. Like maybe its a repository for high level prisoners when you reach that part of the game. But no, those prisoners and soldiers you get early in those side ops stay low level. Your mother base level and heroism do not affect them like they do average guards you encounter.

So as I'm finishing the game, I looked up a no spoiler faq
of how to get the full ending and apparently, since I did not use Quiet at all, I'd have to max her bond. Right before looking it up, I unlocked mission 46, I haven't done it yet. Is it too late to do? Is it worth the effort to max her bond if I still can?

Sub_Level

of how to get the full ending and apparently, since I did not use Quiet at all, I'd have to max her bond. Right before looking it up, I unlocked mission 46, I haven't done it yet. Is it too late to do? Is it worth the effort to max her bond if I still can?

Her bond goes up fast. You can do it in like an hour tops. Just hold L1 and select "Quiet" at least once per mission. Since you haven't used her, remember you can select where she should go with the map on your idroid (use the dpad)

No its not "too late". This game barely has missables.

SJRB

Gold Member

You can still do it, don't worry. You don't have to do those missions in their numeric order.

kai3345

Banned
Can Buddy Bond be increased during side ops? I'm in a similar situation in that I never used Quiet, but I didn't want to bother repeating missions to grind for Bond

rtcn63

Can Buddy Bond be increased during side ops? I'm in a similar situation in that I never used Quiet, but I didn't want to bother repeating missions to grind for Bond

Yes. Just by having her with me, I'd get like +3 bond per side mission at the beginning. Maxed her out way early in the game.

TitusTroy

I'm sure this has been discussed already in this thread but could somebody tell me if I need to fully upgrade Mother Base as a requirement for unlocking Mission 46...I still have 3 platforms I need to upgrade from 3 to 4...I just finished Mission 43 and I know the only new story missions left are 45 and 46...please tell me I don't need to max out Mother Base

SJRB

Gold Member

Sure thing.

Bonding with Quiet goes pretty fast, and is totally worth it to unlock the suppressed weapons. Quiet is an incredible buddy once she has suppressed weapons and some additional orders unlocked.

rtcn63

I'm sure this has been discussed already in this thread but could somebody tell me if I need to fully upgrade Mother Base as a requirement for unlocking Mission 46...I still have 3 platforms I need to upgrade from 3 to 4...I just finished Mission 43 and I know the only new story missions left are 45 and 46...please tell me I don't need to max out Mother Base

I still had half my platforms at 3. Just make sure you read the cassette tapes (yellow stuff). It's an easy thing to miss.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, I have no idea if this is a spoiler or not, but its for near the end of the game I suppose. It is not a spoiler for the story at all. Just........am I at the end of the game? I'm confused.

Ok, I beat mission 43. Did I just technically beat the game? I know there are those secret missions, but I'm kinda done. Don't really have the time to level up quiet from 0, and to spend 50 more hours collecting resources to upgrade my base. So yeah, there is nothing left story wise, right? Technically, it just.......ends? And I know, the true ending is in those missions. But I thought that would be a secret ending. Is there really no normal ending?

Thanks guys.

Weird. I know that they do respawn because i have a few spots i rotate. (wakh sind barracks, yakho oboo, base camp, kungenga mine and the airport. My issue is that I'm pretty sure im missing a bunch of other locations that have them.

Yeah i actually raided the airport for the first time last night and was kicking myself for not doing it earlier. That place is like candy land. Hopefully someone will compile a location of all the places that have containers.
yeah, okb but also that last base before it, too... there are a couple by the shooting range and I think... 4-5 by the parking lot/helipad

airport must have about 12... actually 15 but there are 3 precious metals containers inside that one warehouse that cannot be fultonned :( 9 i tried blowing up the roof haha, no success. but still, there must be 10 containers that are very close to the other wall that are very easy to stealth to. I think the last 2-3 are sort of more in the center by the AA gun and AA satt detection.

i feel like africa has more guardposts with containers, too... a few of them around the mine area all have 3 or so, which seems more than afghanistan

Cartman86

Banned
Ok, I have no idea if this is a spoiler or not, but its for near the end of the game I suppose. It is not a spoiler for the story at all. Just........am I at the end of the game? I'm confused.

Ok, I beat mission 43. Did I just technically beat the game? I know there are those secret missions, but I'm kinda done. Don't really have the time to level up quiet from 0, and to spend 50 more hours collecting resources to upgrade my base. So yeah, there is nothing left story wise, right? Technically, it just.......ends? And I know, the true ending is in those missions. But I thought that would be a secret ending. Is there really no normal ending?

Thanks guys.

You are not done. Yeah I kept feeling the same you did because of what people were saying
about an abrupt ending.
<- Not a spoiler for you.
There is more story. I mean I would consider what is left not just the "true ending" but THE ending.

Mikey Jr.

You are not done. Yeah I kept feeling the same you did because of what people were saying
about an abrupt ending.
<- Not a spoiler for you.
There is more story. I mean I would consider what is left not just the "true ending" but THE ending.

Ohh there is? Then how the heck do I unlock it?

I've been doing sideops for the past hour and nothing is happening. What is supposed to happen exactly?

Sub_Level

Thanks guys.

Besides the Quiet thing, you have one more important story mission.

Dealing with Troublemakers the only way I know how:
http://fat.gfycat.com/UnlinedNextDalmatian.webm

I've finally finished all the Side-Ops (Tank units with choppers can rot in hell) so I think I'm done with the game for now. 130 hours of some of the most fun stealth gameplay I've ever experienced, I could hardly believe I was still trying new weapons and tactics right up until the very end. Hopefully the Fox Engine doesn't go to waste and we'll eventually get another game that plays as well as this one does.

Sub_Level

I've been doing sideops for the past hour and nothing is happening. What is supposed to happen exactly?

Do any yellow side ops or missions you have. Listen to yellow tapes. Return to Mother Base here and there. Mission 46 is the one you want.

Sub_Level

I've finally finished all the Side-Ops (Tank units with choppers can rot in hell) so I think I'm done with the game for now. 130 hours of some of the most fun stealth gameplay I've ever experienced, I could hardly believe I was still trying new weapons and tactics right up until the very end. Hopefully the Fox Engine doesn't go to waste and we'll eventually get another game that plays as well as this one does.

Thanks for letting us know your time. I am 60% done with Side Ops (did all missions + s rank) at 70 hours and it seemed like I was going slow but it appears I'm right on track.

man I was trying to long range tranq snipe mecha walker operators last night, and damn was it hard... I was using the Renov not the M2000 or whatever, and I'm not sure if it's because it has less power (so the tranq is weaker) but even if I'd shoot them 3-4 times in the leg, it would sometimes not put them to sleep.

and to make matters worse, mecha-walker operators don't have a 'hey, you there! wake up!' animation, so if there are 2-3 together, they basically instantly wake one another up lol

it took me forever be able to successfully tranq all 4 lol

i wonder if it's just because even their pants are armored or their Combat were all A+s, or just because the Renov tranq is a lot weaker at range? the M2000 has like 2x the damage and a fair bit more ranged, too... even at maybe 150-200 meters, I was having to shoot half a mil dot above, and at 250 meters or whatever at least a full mil dot.

i could still 1-shot headshot the one operator without a helmet at range but the leg tranqs took faaaar longer than normal it seemed

lol i wish it had been more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0VMKCbHcjk

love it when your tranqs are perfectly time :D

PHOTOSHOP

That sniper rifle is so powerful its annoying. Shoot an armored guard and he dies. Shoot a vehicle it blows up. Shoot an outpost it collapse.

Bacon

I really hate mission 31. Completely at odds with how I played the rest of the game and I'm not getting any enjoyment out of it whatsoever

Cartman86

Banned

I sounds like maybe you are aware that you have to some stuff (that I don't quite understand) to get it to unlock. I just got it without trying, but apparently this is how http://www.gosunoob.com/metal-gear-solid-5/how-to-unlock-secret-mission-46/ I really wouldn't consider it some bonus thing. It's essential to the story.

D Dog needs to be patched. Dear dog he is annoying. He pants non stop I want to shoot him in the face. They need to patch his panting out and give him a further distance. Not keep him attached to me. Stay back 10 meters.

^lol during the aforementioned sniping I just described, he kept standing right in front of my scope lol

so annoying had to keep moving him and tell him to wait

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
yeah, okb but also that last base before it, too... there are a couple by the shooting range and I think... 4-5 by the parking lot/helipad

airport must have about 12... actually 15 but there are 3 precious metals containers inside that one warehouse that cannot be fultonned :( 9 i tried blowing up the roof haha, no success. but still, there must be 10 containers that are very close to the other wall that are very easy to stealth to. I think the last 2-3 are sort of more in the center by the AA gun and AA satt detection.

i feel like africa has more guardposts with containers, too... a few of them around the mine area all have 3 or so, which seems more than afghanistan

I had a pretty good rotation going. I'd empty out all the aforementioned places then do some staff hunting and by the time i was done at least one of the locations would get its crates back. I think i might just do a through free roam myself and jot down all the locations with crates. I definitely think there's a more efficient way of getting mats than the way I'm going about it.

Thanks for letting us know your time. I am 60% done with Side Ops (did all missions + s rank) at 70 hours and it seemed like I was going slow but it appears I'm right on track.

I didn't do a single one of the extra missions (Subsistence, Extreme, etc.) and I'd say about 15-20 of those hours were spent waiting for items to develop. I would just plonk Snake down in Mother Base and have Netflix on my other monitor to help pass the time.

That sniper rifle is so powerful its annoying. Shoot an armored guard and he dies. Shoot a vehicle it blows up. Shoot an outpost it collapse.

Yeah, isn't it great? I was surprised to see that you can develop a suppressed version that's even more powerful -- Like that gun needed to be any better!

Top Bottom