• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Chariot

Guys, don't do that. Some assholes will rob you blind.
687A579334F7A302E161DEA9196C50481D55D12B
The only reason I didn't get more was because I actually ran off out of fultons, shouldn't extracted that many soldiers out of lazyness.

I don't find daytime missions a problem as long as you're wearing the correct camo. I think most people find daytime a huge issue because they like to wear the sneaking suits which clash against the environments.

kobu

I'm so happy they're fixing the blueprint glitch. I almost couldn't sleep last night thinking about how I wasted 157 hours.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guys, don't do that. Some assholes will rob you blind.The only reason I didn't get more was because I actually ran off out of fultons, shouldn't extracted that many soldiers out of lazyness.

Or you can just back up your save. Reload the save after Konami's server sync and never have to deal with that aspect.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the he'll people? Invade me already! I wanna feel alive!

I too have now encountered the blueprint glitch with the stun grenade blueprint. Nowhere to be found.

Thankfully they know about it. I'm for sure not playing another 100 hours to get the achievement because of this.

squadr0n

Kojima easter egg / genius game design info incoming.

Things like the 'Enemy eliminated' tape will stop an alert if you have your helicopter broadcast it from its speakers, apparently.

You upgrade your iDroid to play it from your cassette player speakers.

Quick

Banned
I S-ranked Angel with Broken Wings. Not sure if this is an accomplishment, but it feels good getting that gold S.

I basically tranq'd and fultoned most of the guards. Had to snipe off a couple.

I wish I had the Cargo 2 upgrade for the Fulton though.

How do I increase my Bond level with D-Horse and DD? Is it just going on a lot of missions with them?

Wasp

Finally maxed out my bond with D-Dog. Now to work on Quiet. Oh boy this humming is going to get annoying.

I feel naked without D-Dog.

I don't find daytime missions a problem as long as you're wearing the correct camo. I think most people find daytime a huge issue because they like to wear the sneaking suits which clash against the environments.
I wear the sneaking suit and do all my missions during the daytime. No issues. The AI is still pretty damn dumb. Too little visibility at night and I can't see anything. Using NVG is OK for tagging enemies but you miss out on a lot of other items you don't see. Well, I do anyways when playing at night.

D-Dog is by far the best buddy. His tagging ability makes the game almost way too easy like you are cheating. And with his knife kills too. All other buddies pretty much suck in comparison. He is supper annoying though. Always up my ass. Needs to give me a bit more space.

Vuze

I really wish there were more cutscenes. The character models look absolutely mindblowing and the cutscenes are extremely well done imo. Might be the prettiest realtime cutscenes I've seen in recent games, the game in general looks fantastic (or atleast it really suits my taste in artstyle). I still don't understand how this one guy popped in another thread and said he was shocked how shitty the game looks in comparison to Witcher 3. I'd pick MGSV over Witcher anytime in the visual presentation departement.

Anyway, I've decided to put Side Ops on hold for now and progress in the story. Gameplay is starting to wear on me after 44h and I'd rather finish the game before I get burnt out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sounds like a bother. You can make much more by heaving a powerful defence. You get paid good for failed infiltrations.

Better a bother than putting money into a side-gimmick that doesn't really pay it's dividends.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I really wish there were more cutscenes. The character models look absolutely mindblowing and the cutscenes are extremely well done imo. Might be the prettiest realtime cutscenes I've seen in recent games, the game in general looks fantastic (or atleast it really suits my taste in artstyle). I still don't understand how this one guy popped in another thread and said he was shocked how shitty the game looks in comparison to Witcher 3. I'd pick MGSV over Witcher anytime in the visual presentation departement.

Anyway, I've decided to put Side Ops on hold for now and progress in the story. Gameplay is starting to wear on me after 44h and I'd rather finish the game before I get burnt out.

They both have their charms. Witcher 3 is a bit more detailed overall and features more complex models, textures, outfits, background locales, and has a lovely style to it. MGSV follows Shinkawa's minimalist approach, reducing clutter, characters and objects very clean and defined. The addition of Subsurface scattering on skin and PBR on metal and plastic objects grounds MGSV quite well. But they're both trying to do very different visual styles, and both are not only great, but offer some nice technology on display as well.

Which is what makes the lack of cutscenes so painful in MGSV. I wanted to see the tech put to more use!

Wtf at the conclusion of the Med Bay stuff...

So Paz was a hallucination the whole time? I don't get why Paz is so well represented to Snake. She tried to fucking kill him and his entire base and she was an agent of Cipher. Why does her death bother him so much?

Have you completed the game?

Chariot

Better a bother than putting money into a side-gimmick that doesn't really pay it's dividends.
Why'd ya need to put money in? More money bus more FOBs, that's not helping in defending that place. Ya get the first FOB free, just give it a suitable defense and enjoy the benefits while minimizing annoyance with a good security. The resources and manpower it got from successes far outweigh the losses I made. Not to speak about the little boost in levels of my divisions.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Wtf at the conclusion of the Med Bay stuff...

So Paz was a hallucination the whole time? I don't get why Paz is so well represented to Snake. She tried to fucking kill him and his entire base and she was an agent of Cipher. Why does her death bother him so much?

Finish the game

Orcastar

Built my FOB on Monday, have yet to be invaded once. I guess people just don't bother invading FOBs that consist of a single command platform?

D-Dog is by far the best buddy. His tagging ability makes the game almost way too easy like you are cheating. And with his knife kills too. All other buddies pretty much suck in comparison. He is supper annoying though. Always up my ass. Needs to give me a bit more space.

Quiet is by far the best buddy. Even in chapter 2 where a lot of normal enemies start wearing full body armour, she can single-handedly take out entire bases. Even when equipped with the tranq rifle, she can keep all the enemies focused on her, leaving me free to sneak around them and carry out whatever objectives I need.

It's gotten to the point that I feel like I'm gimping myself if I'm not bringing her along on a mission. Why bother being all sneaky and taking out enemies one by one when I can just tell her to cover me and be done with it?

rtcn63

Stupid question, but how do you move Quiet to where you want her? Or does the bond need to be higher?

Like scout/attack a location? Yeah I think so, the game will tell you when a command unlocks for her.

EDIT: You can do the tasks you have left, just be sure you activate a checkpoint before aborting. In some missions, I believe it's impossible to do all the tasks in one go because of time constraints, some may even conflict.

Renewed

Thanks for the OT, picked up the game with a PS4 last Tuesday and have been enjoying it.

Do I need to do all the mission tasks on one go for them to count or can I do only the ones I've left?

I tried this with Mission 10 or so. Extracting all prisoners in a certain area and then extracted the main prisoner before they took him away to another base. It ticked off the objective I didn't do and I didn't have to re-do others.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Alright dudes, I spent a bunch of time this morning playing through the first real mission (Mission 3 I guess?) and boy do I suck. I've beaten every MGS game in full stealth mode, I've ghosted most Splinter Cell games, and done the same with Dishonored. I'm all about stealth games and ghosting them, but something about MGSV is just so unstructured that it makes it hard for me to stealth my way through. There are no checkpoints as far as I can tell so once I get discovered I just bust out my assault rifle and kill everyone because I don't really feel like riding my horse 3,000 meters from the start point of the level just to try again.

So, anyone have any general tips for how to stealth this game? Should I stick to doing missions at night? What do I do when there are like 7 guards patrolling around a building which I need to get inside? Do I just tranq them all one by one? Kinda feels like cheating when in Splinter Cell Blacklist I could literally ghost an entire level without disturbing or touching any guards.

There are checkpoints on Main Missions. You can force a checkpoint save by messing about with Motherbase when it's available.

You can completely ghost every outpost and base, as far as I can tell. Patience is key. Crawl a lot. The lower you are, the less likely they are to see you. Thoroughly scout and mark bases before entering. Look for the path of least resistance and exploit it. Guards do have fixed routines until you disturb them. If you're not bothered about the 'No Traces' bonus, magazines and missing tranq rounds are great for distracting guards. Infiltrating at night helps reduce enemy vision, but during the day, using the right camouflage pays dividends. This is very different from SC and Dishonoured. This is probably the most tense pure stealth game (when you play it that way) that I've played in a very long time. Be prepared to improvise at the drop of a hat.

Hope that helps.

BriGuy

I've been playing episode 26 for over an hour now. You're supposed to hunt down a tracker and dispose of him before he reaches some Kaziba camp. Well, I found him about 5 minutes and he had decent stats so I sedated him and fultoned him out. And that was an hour ago. No other indication of what to do or where to go. I can't get on the helicopter because the game informs me it's the same as abandoning the mission. I've captured the Kaziba camp and all the surrounding outposts and that's about it.

Is there somewhere else I'm supposed to go? Is the mission bugged? If it's the latter, I might just be done with the game. This mission wasn't hard, but I hate, hate having my very limited free time wasted on bullshit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the tips guys. Will try to implement some of that advice going forward. I didn't realize you could jump to the chopper with "return to ACC." That will be a game changer.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I am always impressed by how they siege building, call in help and report to CP, even when they just want to check something weird out.

When the guards start looking, I get the same sort of chills I got with MGS2 Clearing. They appear to work pretty logically together.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Thanks for all the tips guys. Will try to implement some of that advice going forward. I didn't realize you could jump to the chopper with "return to ACC." That will be a game changer.

Keep in mind that option to return to helicopter only applies to free roam/side ops.

When you're doing a story mission you have to either use a helicopter, fulton yourself out by standing on a cargo container, drive out of the hot zone, or run out of the hot zone.

Henkka

Banned
Alright dudes, I spent a bunch of time this morning playing through the first real mission (Mission 3 I guess?) and boy do I suck. I've beaten every MGS game in full stealth mode, I've ghosted most Splinter Cell games, and done the same with Dishonored. I'm all about stealth games and ghosting them, but something about MGSV is just so unstructured that it makes it hard for me to stealth my way through. There are no checkpoints as far as I can tell so once I get discovered I just bust out my assault rifle and kill everyone because I don't really feel like riding my horse 3,000 meters from the start point of the level just to try again.

So, anyone have any general tips for how to stealth this game? Should I stick to doing missions at night? What do I do when there are like 7 guards patrolling around a building which I need to get inside? Do I just tranq them all one by one? Kinda feels like cheating when in Splinter Cell Blacklist I could literally ghost an entire level without disturbing or touching any guards.

Also is there a way to speed up traveling from one side-op to another? I appreciate that there's an open world to explore but traveling 3 km on a horse between missions is kind of a momentum killer.

One thing I didn't see anyone else mention yet... Press Y/Triangle while laying down to enter "Stealth mode". The game had a tutorial on this IIRC, but I doubt many people use it, or I dunno. If you're wearing the right camo, guards will walk right past you. Super useful for ghosting.

Top Bottom