• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God fucking dammit, I sent an S-ranked soldier to a plants gathering mission of D difficulty (meaning it was easy) and she fucking died. I ONLY WANTED HER TO GET A MEDAL.

Screw it, I'm direct contracting all S-ranked soldiers for S-ranked missions dispatches.

Early in the game but is there a reason some Side Ops don't clear? I did a prisoner extraction, completed it, and it even had a little check mark next to it but it was still appearing as an active/available mission on my list

I actually think this has a bit to do with what areas don't have any outstanding side-ops available to them, so they could be repeated, as opposed to superseded by another.

kobu

I really hate mission 31. Completely at odds with how I played the rest of the game and I'm not getting any enjoyment out of it whatsoever

This is how I felt about all the forced combat in the game. Mission 31 I didn't mind as much because it was obviously a boss fight. Fighting the skulls was just annoying because it felt like the game needed real boss fights at those points.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ten more side-ops to go then I'm completely done with them. \o/

I'm not looking forward to the
24 hour wait on building a nuke
. That's in-game and not online-time, yeah? D:

Kindekuma

Banned
I just unlocked FOBs.

How do I stay safe GAF? I've heard of people going to bed, coming back and their shit is messed up.

Develop security devices as soon as possible, prep your men with battle dress armor and med-range weapons, and pray.

I went nuclear and wiped out a guy's base after he stole a few fuel containers from me. Basically, if your FOB get's punched in the gut, you punch back harder.

Develop security devices as soon as possible, prep your men with battle dress armor and med-range weapons, and pray.

I went nuclear and wiped out a guy's base after he stole a few fuel containers from me. Basically, if your FOB get's punched in the gut, you punch back harder.

I saw the green text about security being able to use it. How do I dress them? I don't see that anywhere.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I just unlocked FOBs.

How do I stay safe GAF? I've heard of people going to bed, coming back and their shit is messed up.

It's all up to your luck. I've had my FOB standing for two weeks, and haven't had a single invader.

It's possible that was because I opened it with a security team level 28 and immediately developed all possible security devices, and built several struts (which apparently raise the defense level of the platforms).

And since I haven't invaded anyone, I don't have any PF points, which leaves me in the same place as people who just got their own FOB's (and that's generally those that don't have any defenses or are bad players), which probably explains why I haven't been invaded.

Other explanation is Konami's servers suck.

EDIT: It's not explicitly said, but developing mines and decoys actually improve the security of the FOB. Take that in account. One slightly hidden mine that is activated by a careless invader can be the key point of preventing their success.

And this. Make people fear you.

Zareka

Nope. I think you just have to keep doing missions/side ops until it unlocks. There's no specific method beyond just playing the game.

Listen to all the important (yellow) stuff from the cassette tapes if you haven't. You can just hit play and then switch to next track, repeat.

Listen to the tapes marked as yellow. That's what did it for me.

Oh, that's fantastic then. I thought it was gonna pull another Peace Walker and make me grind out the ending for another 10 hours. Thanks!

O.DOGG

I'm waiting to develop lv. 60 weapons/equipment before I build my first FOB. There's plenty to do offline in this game until then.

I am past mission 31 and S ranking and doing tasks for all of them before moving on. So...
I can understand shooting for S rank on the harder versions of the repeat mission, but is the tasks going to be the same and I have to redo them again?

Now that feels like cheap padding. I hope they are atleast different mission tasks or the ones completed carries over.

Gorillaz

in terms of buddies there is nothing I can do about
quiet leaving? I got the butterfly emblem on and I know people say as soon as you get rid of it her story thing begins...I just finished mission 43 and no way in hell Im redoing those extreme or sub missions. I don't need to extend the play time for me to do that shit. So does that mean I have to take the emblem off and let her storyline just end for me to go further at this point? What would you guys consider should do before she is gone

TitusTroy

I still had half my platforms at 3. Just make sure you read the cassette tapes (yellow stuff). It's an easy thing to miss.

I finally unlocked the final 2 Main Missions (45 and 46)...just like you, I didn't have to upgrade Mother Base to max...I still had 3 platforms that weren't maxed out yet...looks like the last few missions slowly unlock after every 3 Side-Ops you complete...is it better to do Mission 45 first or can it be played after Mission 46?

So how do you change the color of your FOB? I've selected the color for my Mother Base a couple of times now and while it's fine in my actual MB, the FOB stays the same generic orange. Other FOBs I've seen do have different colors, so what am I missing here?

rtcn63

I finally unlocked the final 2 Main Missions (45 and 46)...just like you, I didn't have to upgrade Mother Base to max...I still had 3 platforms that weren't maxed out yet...looks like the last few missions slowly unlock after every 3 Side-Ops you complete...is it better to do Mission 45 first or can it be played after Mission 46?

Doesn't matter, although technically Mission 46 is the game's proper "ending", 45 just finishes up the Quiet storyline.

Dartastic

Is anyone else starting to have issues with the PC version? All of a sudden I'm having small frame skips. It used to be rock solid 60 fps before.

in terms of buddies there is nothing I can do about
quiet leaving? I got the butterfly emblem on and I know people say as soon as you get rid of it her story thing begins...I just finished mission 43 and no way in hell Im redoing those extreme or sub missions. I don't need to extend the play time for me to do that shit. So does that mean I have to take the emblem off and let her storyline just end for me to go further at this point? What would you guys consider should do before she is gone

just do it and get it over with.

Sagroth

Just wanted to say thanks, GAF, for pushing me over the edge to get this. I've never been much of a Metal Gear fan in the past, but this game is stellar. It's in competition for my GOTY(against Witcher 3 for me).

TitusTroy

The only time I have frame drops is when Quiet runs by and it tries to animate shadows on each piece of dust.

same here...every time she runs by me the fps drops...the other time I noticed a drop in frame rates was during the cut-scene
where the Battle Gear tank was finished and revealed

Same for me.

Quiet's running is drawing all these alpha transparencies right in front of the screen when she runs, makes the PC version crawl if you're running at a resolution beyond what your GPU is good enough for.

A beefy GPU is needed to run them really smoothly at max settings, because the max settings of the PC version are pretty "buffed" versions of the same effects on consoles... the extra resolution of the effects, especially the shadows, and with the added draw distance, really adds up.

same here...every time she runs by me the fps drops...the other time I noticed a drop in frame rates was during the cut-scene
where the Battle Gear tank was finished and revealed

I didn't understand why there were frame drops in this one. The cinematic blur or something? It was strange. I got a ton of frame drops in this one too, at least at the start.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The collision detection in this game is absolutely phenomenal. I was able to get off this headshot between these two wooden pillars:
5137r2G.jpg

In other games that shit would not even register. The only exception I have noticed is that you cannot shoot guards through catwalk holes. But that is a small detail >_>

Funny you mention that Sub_Level, because I've had the hitboxes disappoint me several times. Might be due to a failure to pierce the terrain/obstacle with my chosen weapon, but still it's annoying.

Now, MGSVGaf, Spoil me (a question about the final few missions):
How do you unlock them, and how many are there? I think I have everything up to 47. My desire to pursue side missions and extreme/total stealth missions is wearing thin, however I am dying for more subsistence missions. Also, of the final missions, how many are actually new stuff and now some variant?

Thanks.

Sub_Level

Spoil me (a question about the final few missions):
How do you unlock them, and how many are there? I think I have everything up to 47. My desire to pursue side missions and extreme/total stealth missions is wearing thin, however I am dying for more subsistence missions. Also, of the final missions, how many are actually new stuff and now some variant?

Thanks.

Truth: The Man Who Sold the World is the last original mission (and even then thats the tutorial recycled). Everything afterwards are missions with new parameters. To get 45 you have to max bond with Quiet and not have the Butterfly emblem. To get the rest you have to do the missions. You have essentially finished the game FYI.

Sub_Level

For helmets I shoot them when they're facing me but I have gotten some from the back of the neck. There's a small area between their helmet and their flak jacket.

The one I wanna get one of these days are the fully armored guys. There is a small tiny area where their neck is exposed!

Dartastic

Same for me.

Quiet's running is drawing all these alpha transparencies right in front of the screen when she runs, makes the PC version crawl if you're running at a resolution beyond what your GPU is good enough for.

A beefy GPU is needed to run them really smoothly at max settings, because the max settings of the PC version are pretty "buffed" versions of the same effects on consoles... the extra resolution of the effects, especially the shadows, and with the added draw distance, really adds up.

I didn't understand why there were frame drops in this one. The cinematic blur or something? It was strange. I got a ton of frame drops in this one too, at least at the start.
It ran perfectly for me until today. I don't know what changed.

For helmets I shoot them when they're facing me but I have gotten some from the back of the neck. There's a small area between their helmet and their flak jacket.

The one I wanna get one of these days are the fully armored guys. There is a small tiny area where their neck is exposed!

I was doing some side ops and trying to tranq the heavily armored soldiers. I tried to aim for that gap but the hits never registered. If it is possible, then I was a pixel off. I still just distract with thrown magazines then R2 to choke them out and fulton. But once I managed to put C4 on the back of one and as he walked by another solider I hit the trigger.

Haunted

The collision detection in this game is absolutely phenomenal. I was able to get off this headshot between these two wooden pillars:

In other games that shit would not even register. The only exception I have noticed is that you cannot shoot guards through catwalk holes. But that is a small detail >_>
The hitboxes are generally well done (I did have some neck/face shots that didn't register with helmets, but from a sniping distance, you never know if it's actually a hitbox problem or emulated ballistics), but materials aren't really realistic. There are tons of materials my weapons should be able to punch through, but aren't.

Haunted

Now, MGSVGaf, Spoil me (a question about the final few missions):

Thanks.
46 is the final mission in the game and will lead to the ending. 45 is the mission that ties up Quiet's story in the game. Every other mission is a variant of a previous one.

The hitboxes are generally well done (I did have some neck/face shots that didn't register with helmets, but from a sniping distance, you never know if it's actually a hitbox problem or emulated ballistics), but materials aren't really realistic. There are tons of materials my weapons should be able to punch through, but aren't.

There's mention in a tutorial tip that weapons pierce, but aside from a unit's armour (as in, their clothing) I haven't seen a single instance of this being true.

Truth: The Man Who Sold the World is the last original mission (and even then thats the tutorial recycled). Everything afterwards are missions with new parameters. To get 45 you have to max bond with Quiet and not have the Butterfly emblem. To get the rest you have to do the missions. You have essentially finished the game FYI.

46 is the final mission in the game and will lead to the ending. 45 is the mission that ties up Quiet's story in the game. Every other mission is a variant of a previous one.
Looking through my mission list I seem to have made an oversight...
I didn't realise they unlocked the missions out of order. I don't have 45 or 46 yet. How will I unlock the final story mission, 46?

Such a confusing game, sometimes.

JackelZXA

There's mention in a tutorial tip that weapons pierce, but aside from a unit's armour (as in, their clothing) I haven't seen a single instance of this being true.

I know that quiet's armor piercing rifle that you get for
max bond
is the only thing she can use against fully armored foes.

Sub_Level

Yeah you cannot even shoot through tent cloth.

But now that I think about it I don't think that type of penetration has ever been in the franchise as a whole. The closest thing is splash damage from explosions that hit guards on the other side of a wall or object.

Quick question about mission completion,
do I need to finish the challenge/retread missions to continue with the story missions in chapter 2?

Top Bottom