• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Hey guys, is it normal for everything to take 0 seconds to build (weapons, upgrades, etc..)? I remember this things in peace walker used to take time. Maybe it's because I'm just at episode 5?

Early on it's normal. The more advanced the weaponry or gadget, the longer it will take. I'm currently on 18 minutes for my items.

Soulflarz

Banned
Do I really have to explore every platform of Motherbase to not miss any bits of story?
I have just found out that Paz was in the med bay and was wondering if there was anything else I was missing by not checking out every corner of my base.
I'm at mission 9 at the moment, so please don't spoil me. Thanks

Nope that was about it from what I've heard.

bombshell

So is DD the best buddy? I realize it may be mission specific but DD seems best so far.

Quiet is kind of OP. I just deploy her on the opposite side of an outpost, set her to cover fire at will and the whole guard force goes in her direction leaving the camp empty. Maybe that tactic will stop working in later missions, I'm not very far yet.

For people that have finished it- how did you find the story? I loved every story in every mgs game and I do understand that the story bits in the game are extremely spaced out but as a condensed story, how did it compare to previous mgs games?

Darkangel

Almost 40 hours in and I've just reached Chapter 2. It's finally starting to feel like a Metal Gear game, but the grind between story segments is getting on my nerves.

Potential spoilers for those who haven't reached Episode 30 yet:
It seems like whenever the story starts to pick up the game just...stops. Like when I extracted Eli I was thinking "this guy has to be young Liquid or something, I can't wait to see where this takes the story," yet they just dropped him off at Mother Base then gave me more "generic" missions to do.

The game seems to have that "portable" design that Peace Walker had. Nothing is ever allowed to go on for too long without giving the player an opportunity to take a break. Even when shit starts to get real you know it's only a few minutes before a "TO BE CONTINUED" pops up. Most of the story missions feel like side missions, except with 20 second story blurbs added to the end.

Soulflarz

Banned
When you build a new platform and it says "20 minutes" does that mean 20 minutes of game time or can I turn off my PS4 and wait 20 minutes?

20m in game time. The only exception to this rule is when you do the online combat dispatches and it says "40 hours (real life time)"

If it doesn't specify that it's referring to real life time, you have to leave your game up.

Do I really have to explore every platform of Motherbase to not miss any bits of story?
I have just found out that Paz was in the med bay and was wondering if there was anything else I was missing by not checking out every corner of my base.
I'm at mission 9 at the moment, so please don't spoil me. Thanks

There is an area in the R&D platform you will want to revisit a couple times, but it only triggers about 25 missions in.

I wish there was some randomness to the wild life. You go to a certain location and you're guaranteed to find that specific animal, same as you did the previous time you were there, and the time before that, no matter how rare the animal is.

Xater

For people that have finished it- how did you find the story? I loved every story in every mgs game and I do understand that the story bits in the game are extremely spaced out but as a condensed story, how did it compare to previous mgs games?

Very weak, among the worst in the series.

Quiet is kind of OP. I just deploy her on the opposite side of an outpost, set her to cover fire at will and the whole guard force goes in her direction leaving the camp empty. Maybe that tactic will stop working in later missions, I'm not very far yet.

Depends on the mission, but the bigger deterrent for her is that heavy armor dudes are an issue. I mostly use her to distract the enemies while i sneak in and out.

Xater

Depends on the mission, but the bigger deterrent for her is that heavy armor dudes are an issue. I mostly use her to distract the enemies while i sneak in and out.

Not once you unlock her final sniper rifle. That thing doesn't care what the enemy wears.

Dang, mission 29 is actually pretty cheesable
There's a building you can either go inside or go behind and the skulls will never come and attack you, they will only send their explosive spikes occasionally from the ground. So you can just peek out and shoot, and call in more ammo until they are dead. Even easier if you have Quiet as your buddy.

jrush64

Banned
I'm on Mission 5 now, I haven't seen much story so far. I wanted to ask, does this game have lots of cutscenes in line with previous games.

Griss

Mission 2
what the fuck. 12 deaths/failures in a row, all but 2 under
seconds. What am I missing here? This seems so poorly designed. Stick around and
the skulls kill you in seconds.
Run and
Code Talker dies.
What am I meant to do?

Mission 2
what the fuck. 12 deaths/failures in a row, all but 2 under
seconds. What am I missing here? This seems so poorly designed. Stick around and
the skulls kill you in seconds.
Run and
Code Talker dies.
What am I meant to do?

Start mission. Run left, toward the main building. Get on the anti air emplacement. Shred them.

Xater

In what ways? What did you think of the story in mgs2/4? (The most debated ones I've found)

I like the story in both of those. They are crazy but at least not disjointed like the one here, with almost no purpose. Can't get into more details without spoiling shit.

I'm on Mission 5 now, I haven't seen much story so far. I wanted to ask, does this game have lots of cutscenes in line with previous games.

It has very few cutscenes.

DD is a wall-hacking piece of shit.

I love him. Reconnaissance be damned.

He's the most bad ass character in the series. Screw The Boss, Gray Fox, The Sorrow, Psycho Mantis, Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, Ocelot and Big Boss. We have a new winner, here. A dog with a freaking knife and sneaking suit. Doesn't get anymore cool then that.

Darkangel

Ya, I'd like to hear some NON-SPOILER story impressions from those who have fully beaten it. I know a lot of people (mostly non-fans) complained about the cutscenes and crazy story in the past games, but from where I'm at it almost seems like Kojima held back too much in this one.

This might be considered some kind of indirect spoiler:
As of the start of Chapter 2 it seems like almost every cutscene was included in one of the trailers

Hypron

Wait Episode 30=chapter 2?

Damn what have I been doing, I'm well over 20 hours of gameplay and just finished mission 12 (I finish all the side ops as I go along though). I'll end up taking like 80 hours to finish the game at this rate.

Xater

He's the most bad ass character in the series. Screw The Boss, Gray Fox, The Sorrow, Psycho Mantis, Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, Ocelot and Big Boss. We have a new winner, here.

I kinda have to agree. It's a dog that can knife people. That's super bad ass.

Ya, I'd like to hear some NON-SPOILER story impressions from those who have fully beaten it. I know a lot of people (mostly non-fans) complained about the cutscenes and crazy story in the past games, but from where I'm at it almost seems like Kojima held back too much in this one.

This might be considered some kind of indirect spoiler:
As of the start of Chapter 2 it seems like almost every cutscene was included in one of the trailers

Without spoiling anything the story is going to end up dividing as many people as MGS 2 did.

jrush64

Banned
I like the story in both of those. They are crazy but at least not disjointed like the one here, with almost no purpose. Can't get into more details without spoiling shit.

It has very few cutscenes.

Wait seriously? That's disappointing.

Griss

Man I got my first C in mission 30 and I don't know even why. I snuck trough every enemy and wasn't seen, hm.

I just had the opposite. Was playing a mission, had just started when I was crossing a road on D-Horse. Anyway I get hit by a truck that I didn't see coming and nearly killed. The driver slumps out the door, unconscious. I fulton him automatically and Kaz says, well done, get to the chopper, which was just 200m away. Uh, okay Kaz. Was that really the guy? When I get there he's all like 'Holy crap Boss you're one in a million' and I got the 'No Traces' bonus which apparently gives you 100,000 bonus points, which is outrageous. Whole mission took 3 minutes, and I had no idea what was going on. Never even encountered an enemy, I don't think.

Hasney

20m in game time. The only exception to this rule is when you do the online combat dispatches and it says "40 hours (real life time)"

If it doesn't specify that it's referring to real life time, you have to leave your game up.

Also FOB platform building. That's in real time too.

Toad King

Banned
The one thing I have against the game is the iDroid menus are somewhat hard to navigate, at least on PC. Also with stuff sometimes spread out across different parts of it for no reason. Why isn't helicopter air support usable from the map screen? You have to go to the mission tab and select the helicopter entry from there instead, which ends up with you having to select an arrival point on the map anyway.

This is just minor nitpicking though and is easily ignorable when you can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZeXOnYzzgo

Top Bottom