• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Official threads have changed. It's no longer about discussing the story, talking about the gameplay, or posting screenshots. It's an endless series of title battles fought by cheeky cunts and fuckbois. Officials threads - and their consumption of life - have become well-oiled machines. Official threads have changed. Angry posters complain with angry posts, use angry vocabulary. Parasites inside their bodies enhance and regulate their anger. Genetic control. Mind control. Emotion control. Thread control. Official threads have changed. The age of discussion has become the age of thread title complaints... All in the name of some Japanese video game developer. And he who controls the thread title... controls NeoGAF history. Official threads have changed. When the thread is filled with haters... thread title complaints becomes routine.

Every thread has its beginning. But doesn't start with the title. It starts long before that, in the mind of its OP. The thread is born... from the OP's thoughts. The moment the OP conceives the title is the moment the thread springs to life. The thread becomes a title, the title becomes a post, the post becomes a legendary OT. Taking it all back to the the title solves nothing. So long as OP remains control of OT2, the title... will eventually grow into a legendary thread again. And so their goal was to erase the title. Even their bitching began with a single shit post. That one shit post's desire grew huge, bloated; absorbed the attention; began to manipulate the thread. We realized too late that we had derailed the thread. We had helped turn the thread title into a carnival of bitching. His sin... was ours. And for that reason, I'm taking it upon myself to send that shit post... back to nothing.

It's not about changing the title. It's about doing our best to leave this thread the way it is. It's about respecting the will of the OP and believing in your own.

OP and I... the shit poster and his followers... We all fought a long, bloody war for our liberty to free ourselves from thread title polls, majorities, norms and the one title that was too fucking witty for 90% of GAF to understand it, but no matter how hard we fought, the only place we found was this shit post, trapped within the limits of this thread... The OP and the shit posters may have taken different paths but in the end, we were both trapped inside the same thread... "A Franchise Robbed of Its Future." But you have been given a future. The future to make... the next goddamn OT3 like you want it.

Salsa

didnt everyone get an S rank on mission 16

I feel like the game thought whatever you did there was awesome and gave you ez mode rank

killing skulls seems to be big business

Griss

D-Horse is how I completed the infamous mission 16 in under 3 minutes with a S-rank.

Without D-Horse I would have NEVER cleared that mission.

I'm just sad that I'm nearly at mission 30 and there's still no sign of D-Dog. Missable little bastard.

didnt everyone get an S rank on mission 16

I feel like the game thought whatever you did there was awesome and gave you ez mode rank

killing skulls seems to be big business

I thought that was the hardest mission by far in the game, and I
didn't kill any skulls.

Hypron

I just had the opposite. Was playing a mission, had just started when I was crossing a road on D-Horse. Anyway I get hit by a truck that I didn't see coming and nearly killed. The driver slumps out the door, unconscious. I fulton him automatically and Kaz says, well done, get to the chopper, which was just 200m away. Uh, okay Kaz. Was that really the guy? When I get there he's all like 'Holy crap Boss you're one in a million' and I got the 'No Traces' bonus which apparently gives you 100,000 bonus points, which is outrageous. Whole mission took 3 minutes, and I had no idea what was going on.

That sounds extremely lucky haha.

Is the No Traces bonus exclusive to that mission or can you get it for any mission? And what does it consist of, finishing a mission without ever raising suspicions? I don't like googling stuff for this game because of potential spoilers.

Majine

Banned
Help Mission 31:
I can't not die by his laser charge up. I try to run left-right from it, I hide behind a tank. Nothing works. What to do here?

I feel like mission 45 is broken, there's no real timing to when the missiles are fired and whether they lock onto you as you dive or miss you by miles. Fuck.

Griss

That sounds extremely lucky haha.

Is the No Traces bonus exclusive to that mission or can you get it for any mission? And what does it consist of, finishing a mission without ever raising suspicions? I don't like googling stuff for this game because of potential spoilers.

I assume it means exactly that. Never seen, no suspicions, no one ever even raised a flashlight. I don't see why it would be specific for that mission. But it sends your score through the roof. In comparison, 'No Kills Perfect Stealth' is just 28k bonus. This one is 4 times that.

I found it easy but regardless that wasnt my point, I just feel like I didnt do anything S rank worthy yet still got it

Is there a higher rank than S-rank? I was kinda assuming there was.

ElTorro

didn't kill any skulls.

I struggled quite a bit with mission 16 too because
I did not have the final fulton device and could not extract the truck. The skulls would destroy the truck every time I tried to drive away, and none of my weapons could do serious damage to them. I eventually somewhat cheesed the mission. The skulls move very, very slowly into your direction, even if you are technically not detected by them. I used that AI behavior to draw them away from the truck over a timespan of 5-10 minutes. Then I ran to the truck, took out the zombiefied driver and drove away in the opposite direction.

DrBo42

Did it myself.
Just use a rifle, quickly take aim and fire each time he reappears
.The result of the fulton is what you would expect.
Did you do that before or after
fulton is attached?
You're too close with the camera after doing it to rapidly reacquire

shiba5

I'm just sad that I'm nearly at mission 30 and there's still no sign of D-Dog. Missable little bastard.

Wow, you can't go back and find him later if you miss him early on??

Furyous

Things are finally looking up for me in this game as I spent four hours raiding bases. It's so rewarding to go into a base, steal all the troops and resources and get away. Yes, the world can feel empty but fuck the world when I'm stealing mortars and flipping them left and right. Built four platforms today and came up. Is it possible to continuously reply the special soldier recruit missons to gain highly skilled operatives?

I have yet to take a base at night because screw that. I'm old school and use a tranq gun, smoke grenades, and magazines.

Griss

I struggled quite a bit with mission 16 too because
I did not have the final fulton device and could not extract the truck. The skulls would destroy the truck every time I tried to drive away, and none of my weapons could do serious damage to them. I eventually somewhat cheesed the mission. The skulls move very, very slowly into your direction, even if you are technically not detected by them. I used that AI behavior to draw them away from the truck over a timespan of 5-10 minutes. Then I ran to the truck, took out the zombiefied driver and drove away in the opposite direction.

Wow, I never realised you could fulton the truck. I still haven't got that fulton, I don't think. I played it like you did and beat it exactly like you did. Dull minds think alike :)

Wow, you can't go back and find him later if you miss him early on??

Maybe, but I feel like I've been all over Afganistan looking for him. Haven't replayed any missions though, but people made it sound like you find him while free-roaming.

pahamrick

didn't kill any skulls.

D-Dog always appears in the same spot from what I've seen, right where you drop out of the heli for mission 4.

Vire

Every thread has its beginning. But doesn't start with the title. It starts long before that, in the mind of its OP. The thread is born... from the OP's thoughts. The moment the OP conceives the title is the moment the thread springs to life. The thread becomes a title, the title becomes a post, the post becomes a legendary OT. Taking it all back to the the title solves nothing. So long as OP remains control of OT2, the title... will eventually grow into a legendary thread again. And so their goal was to erase the title. Even their bitching began with a single shit post. That one shit post's desire grew huge, bloated; absorbed the attention; began to manipulate the thread. We realized too late that we had derailed the thread. We had helped turn the thread title into a carnival of bitching. His sin... was ours. And for that reason, I'm taking it upon myself to send that shit post... back to nothing.

It's not about changing the title. It's about doing our best to leave this thread the way it is. It's about respecting the will of the OP and believing in your own.

OP and I... the shit poster and his followers... We all fought a long, bloody war for our liberty to free ourselves from thread title polls, majorities, norms and the one title that was too fucking witty for 90% of GAF to understand it, but no matter how hard we fought, the only place we found was this shit post, trapped within the limits of this thread... The OP and the shit posters may have taken different paths but in the end, we were both trapped inside the same thread... "A Franchise Robbed of Its Future." But you have been given a future. The future to make... the next goddamn OT3 like you want it.

I appreciate the long winded Kojima like response, but my point is that Metal Gear has already had a brilliant run. It wasn't robbed of anything, we got an amazing final game with the best gameplay in the series and we should enjoy it for what it is instead of already complaining that there wont be another. Nothing lasts forever... We've had thirty years of these games.. THIRTY. I'm not even certain Kojima would have done another even if the circumstances with Konami were different.

Vally

Official threads have changed. It's no longer about discussing the story, talking about the gameplay, or posting screenshots. It's an endless series of title battles fought by cheeky cunts and fuckbois. Officials threads - and their consumption of life - have become well-oiled machines. Official threads have changed. Angry posters complain with angry posts, use angry vocabulary. Parasites inside their bodies enhance and regulate their anger. Genetic control. Mind control. Emotion control. Thread control. Official threads have changed. The age of discussion has become the age of thread title complaints... All in the name of some Japanese video game developer. And he who controls the thread title... controls NeoGAF history. Official threads have changed. When the thread is filled with haters... thread title complaints becomes routine.

giphy.gif

ElTorro

I appreciate the long winded Kojima like response, but my point is that Metal Gear has already had a brilliant run.

You are mistaking my post for something that has any intelligible meaning or purpose. Just like many MGS fans are doing it with Kojima's writing.

Window

Did you do that before or after
fulton is attached?
You're too close with the camera after doing it to rapidly reacquire

You should fulton once he no longer reappears, not before. You will get a message from Kaz about how The Man on Fire stops when the kid isn't around or something.

Vire

You are mistaking my post for something that has any intelligible meaning or purpose. Just like many MGS fans are doing it with Kojima's writing.
lol

Oh, I know full well Kojima's writing is shit. It's the best 'bad' SciFi network B movie of all time.

Kojima might as well be a genre at this point to describe the absolutely sheer stupidity of it all.

Ya, I'd like to hear some NON-SPOILER story impressions from those who have fully beaten it. I know a lot of people (mostly non-fans) complained about the cutscenes and crazy story in the past games, but from where I'm at it almost seems like Kojima held back too much in this one.

This might be considered some kind of indirect spoiler:
As of the start of Chapter 2 it seems like almost every cutscene was included in one of the trailers
There's no spoilers here but I'm tagging it for people that don't want to see.

It's the worst story in the seies by an absolute distance. What little there is, is awful.

Vire

There's no spoilers here but I'm tagging it for people that don't want to see.

It's the worst story in the seies by an absolute distance. What little there is, is awful.
Hell no, MGS4 absolutely has the worst story by a metric shiton. While the story here is scant and there is little to be found, this at least makes sense. I feel like after beating MGS4 my IQ dropped by 25 points and we were one step closer to the world envisioned by Idiocracy.

SkylineRKR

Having beaten the full thing I think the story of TPP is rather good, its just not as stretched as past entries with characters feeling the need to rephrase everything 10 times. I was fed up with that approach, personally.

The placement of cutscenes could've been done better and VS could've talked a tiny bit more in certain scenes. But I think its not bad overall.

Guess Who

Banned
Oh ho ho ho ho.

MGSV has easily the worst plot in the mainline series. BY FAR.

To be honest I'm ten missions in (and also spoiled to many of the major events) and still don't know what the plot even is aside from "Big Boss wakes up from coma and has to rebuild Mother Base; Skullface is a bad guy."

AHA-Lambda

regarding story impressions

it's pretty poor, there's a huge wtf twist at the end that while impressive, is there just for sake of a twist. The results of it muddy up the timeline quite a bit.

Plus, you then realise that the events of TPP are actually of pretty little consequence to the series story as a whole.

It also doesn't help however, that shit was cut from the game, one of the major story arcs is left completely open at the end, and was to be covered in Mission 51, which isn't in the game.

ElTorro

I don't want to be in this OT with all this negativity. I am out.

The negativity? It never goes away, Kenzodielocke. Once you've been in the OT, tasted the exhilaration, the tension... it all becomes part of you. Once you've awakened the angry nerd within... it never sleeps again. You crave ever bigger tensions, ever bigger thrills. As a nerd, I'd think you would have realized that by now. You care nothing for fun, or discussion, or even MGS V. The only thing that satisfies your cravings is negativity! All OP has done is give you a place for it. He has given you a reason to post.

Starviper

I'm like 30 hours in, done every side op I can so far and only on mission 13.. There is so much content.

Minor spoilers, but I thought that this little bit in one of the mission credits was kinda fucked up lol

KDzsVep.jpg

MattyG

Banned
True ending is insane.
This is all I want. I don't care if it's incredibly written or anything. I just want pure insanity.

I'm on mission
41 or 42
right now. Hopefully I can figure out how to unlock the true ending easily enough tonight.

ElTorro

Minor spoilers, but I thought that this little bit in one of the mission credits was kinda fucked up lol

The thing I dislike the most about the opening credits is that they sometimes spoil the mission by showing who will appear.

I appreciate the long winded Kojima like response, but my point is that Metal Gear has already had a brilliant run. It wasn't robbed of anything, we got an amazing final game with the best gameplay in the series and we should enjoy it for what it is instead of already complaining that there wont be another. Nothing lasts forever... We've had thirty years of these games.. THIRTY. I'm not even certain Kojima would have done another even if the circumstances with Konami were different.

Agreed, lets move on. Not that I've ever been a fan really but you would imagine there beeing some more ideas for a game-director/creator/guru to develop.
And.. better hire a descent writer for his next venture,

Top Bottom