• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

bombshell

Maybe, but I feel like I've been all over Afganistan looking for him. Haven't replayed any missions though, but people made it sound like you find him while free-roaming.

He was just there as soon as I jumped out of the helicopter in an early mission and Ocelot (or Miller, can sometimes not hear them apart) commented on the dog puppy even before I noticed it.

Severance

Any online FOB impressions?

I finally got online working today and played a bunch. Invaded twice and defended twice. Its some good fun. Invading is difficult. You have to go up the command platform to the top, so you have to be very careful not to be spotted from above. You receive negative espionage points for killing, positive points for Fulton extraction.

When it comes to facing another person, neither you or your opponent stay down for long. Even a tranq to the head and you're back up in 5 seconds or so. Be ready for it if you're trying to Fulton them but have to move them first. No one is all that good yet. Most people haven't expanded their bases either so most people only have a command platform. I think it'll take awhile for people to build their base up and get good.

Also forgot to add: successful defending and invading nets massive GMP. I netted 850k in one go to be exact

loki 16

fighting against the skulls sucks. Does anyone have tips for fighting against the
sniper skulls?

Geg

Mission 16:
Wow, I can't believe I managed to take out the Skulls on my first try. Good thing I brought my rocket launcher along, and had Quiet for backup fire. What actually triggers them anyway? I think I accidentally fired on the truck when I was trying to hit the driver going into it and then they all showed up. Also is it possible to sneak by them and get the truck without fighting them?

AHA-Lambda

People are in for a very nasty surprise if they believe Meryl/Johnny is the lowest this series can go.

Even after finishing TPP I still think Meryl/Johnny is the crowning jewel of shit in the MGS storyline ._.

But yeah, plot wise Quiet isn't actually that bad. Heck, she's probably the best character in it despite the stupid objectification and not speaking.

Severance

fighting against the skulls sucks. Does anyone have tips for fighting against the
sniper skulls?

I took them out with a sniper, didn't even try getting up close. I had D-Dog with me to help spot them, but you can also trace their laser sights back to them. Take cover, line up your shot so you can pop out quickly, and fire. You have a few seconds before they fire on you.. But only a few. Two headshots will do, or 3-4 body shots.

SkylineRKR

Even after finishing TPP I still think Meryl/Johnny is the crowning jewel of shit in the MGS storyline ._.

But yeah, plot wise Quiet isn't actually that bad. Heck, she's probably the best character in it despite the stupid objectification and not speaking.

This one is fresh, which would make sense for such opinions. MGS4 however, Meryl and Johnny, BB graveyard. Fucking Drebin + Monkey drinking soda and ruining scenes... its way worse and there is much more of it.

KHlover

Banned
But you enjoyed previous Metal Gear right? You must have hated MGS2 and MGS4 with all of the cutscenes.

In fact I did. Of the mainline games before V I feel MGS3 had the best cutscenes/gameplay balance and even that was a bit cutscene heavy. Not to mention that IMO the writing in 2/4 just plain sucks.

dmshaposv

Wow worse than akiba shit panter and meryl marrying and bog boss coming back from the dead for 1 hour speech before dying again.

Expectations set to an all time low.

I mean im at mission 29, and so far the story is intriguing so i guess it all goes to shit soon...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My feeling at this point is that like with Final Fantasy, the people making the games may as well do whatever they damn well please and to hell with the consequences, because there is quite literally no pleasing every "fan"!

I think it just happens to any series once its gone on for a certain number of significantly differentiated instalments. Some people get so trapped in their own peculiar expectations of what sort of experience the franchise represents that they just get uncomfortable and defensive over anything that departs from their preconceptions.

Timeaisis

Mission 16:
Wow, I can't believe I managed to take out the Skulls on my first try. Good thing I brought my rocket launcher along, and had Quiet for backup fire. What actually triggers them anyway? I think I accidentally fired on the truck when I was trying to hit the driver going into it and then they all showed up. Also is it possible to sneak by them and get the truck without fighting them?

I still don't know the proper way to play this mission lol. Are you supposed to just sprint to the
airport
and get I'm the truck or what?

It's the worst by far. Both MGS4 and Peace Walker were at least entertaining at times. This just flatlines almost the entire way through.

I've at least not heard anyone say "Nanomachines" and "Peace" 50,000 times though, so there's always that. If it's just the ending of MGSV that sucks, that's still better than the shit MGS4 and PW gave us.

Top Bottom