• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

How do you know they don't make it? Also extractions can fail.

You'll see a white blinking dot next to the newly acquired staff's name. Say I do a side op that'll extract a highly skilled soldier, they'll be on the staff list with a white dot next to their name when I check my iDroid, but my other extracted soldiers don't even show up on the All Staff list.

So wait, the FOB stuff... The online/invasion stuff deals with that base only right? Your actual mother base never gets invaded itself, just the new FOB you create? I guess you still store materials on there so they can get stolen, though. I was just watching a stream and noticed his teams were like 180-200 people and mine are only like 90 maybe and I have a few of them 4/4 (maxed). Guess you really need to do the FOB so you can keep leveling up your teams. :(

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You'll see a white blinking dot next to the newly acquired staff's name. Say I do a side op that'll extract a highly skilled soldier, they'll be on the staff list with a white dot next to their name when I check my iDroid, but my other extracted soldiers don't even show up on the All Staff list.
Did you extract the highly skilled soldier before the others? If you haven't hit a checkpoint yet they will not have made it back to MB yet.

leng jai

Finally beat it. I started shooting it with my SMG, and that worked. Except the time I finally beat it I had quite the scare.
When the slow down happened for the 2nd time and the kid was supposed to be there he just wasn't. He wasn't anywhere at all, so I got blasted, but luckily somehow survived that.

Really? I was under the impression it was a one shot kill every time.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
if we're talking about the one where he jumps then transforms, mantis appears for a split second you're supposed to shoot him. reflex mode should activate too

This probably doesn't work as well for people who went with reflex mode off through the game. I dunno, I've played with reflex on all the time. Makes up for how easy it is to get spotted.

I feel like I've played the FUCK out of this game and haven't even progressed much. I'm at 16% Overall Completion, I have Episodes 10 and 13 available to me at this point (but beat 11 and 12), and have 233 soldiers at MB.

But I'm still using the same old shit I've used the entire game. Tranq pistol, box, standard assault rifle with silencer. I JUST unlocked a grenade launcher which would have helped on certain missions that said "Recommended: Missile" but I toughed it out and used C4 but at this point I'm overwhelmed thinking about how many MORE guys I gotta fulton into my base just to get R&D up to build some cool shit. And I'm even sending out guys on combat deployment who are steady bringing dudes back.

It's overwhelmingly slow progress it feels like. I enjoy building up to becoming a powerhouse but this is almost exhausting to look at the requirements.

Yes it is a slog, as you don't want to lose your silencer options, so it takes forever to get a replacement assault rifle with suppressor. Outside of taking different extra primaries, you will be stuck using the starting guns for a long time unless you don't care and want to Rambo everything.

i really want to carry the tranquilizer pistol and the
water pistol
at the same time but you can only hold one at a time.. so lame.

i guess i could just use my tranq rifle instead of the trang handgun.

So wait, the FOB stuff... The online/invasion stuff deals with that base only right? Your actual mother base never gets invaded itself, just the new FOB you create? I guess you still store materials on there so they can get stolen, though. I was just watching a stream and noticed his teams were like 180-200 people and mine are only like 90 maybe and I have a few of them 4/4 (maxed). Guess you really need to do the FOB so you can keep leveling up your teams. :(
yeah it affects all your resources since if you have X resources, they're sort of evenly split across various platforms on both your MB and FOB(s).... you cannot control either. so if you're going to create a FOB and especially a Base Development platform, then make sure you defend it -- the easiest targets to raid and steal resources from are people are create a FOB and then do nothing to it, and they have like 20-40K resources from their 'total pool' just sitting there guarded by like 8 C-D ranked soldiers in shirts and pants ;p

it can affect your units too in the same way but security unit is for other platforms but your main command platform does seem to draw from your combat unit too (?) if they're killed by an other player, they'll probably just be injured in the sickbay but they can die, too; if they're fulton-ed, they're gone unless you put them on a Direct Contact

so, it has no really effect on your actual walking, move, missions, etc... no affect on how you see or act in mother base. but it can affect that stats meaningful to SP like your resources or units.... so if you are going to create upgrade an FOB, especially if you build a base development platform, then you really really should upgrade it and try build at least 2/4 or 3/4 because then your biggest resources 'collection' of containers will be on the second strut... if it's 1/4 you'll have like 12 of 15 or so containers just sitting there right in the corner by where the invader enters. so, at least upgrade your command and base development platforms and add security devices/heavy armor/snipers in towers
Hmm.. how much does it let you increase your staff for your offline MB? I hate that they tied something like that to it. :( I just really don't want to be invaded and have my staff/stuff stolen. Seems really annoying.
well it's the same sort of upgrades... so I think it's +15 per unit for unit platforms, just the same as MB... and your MB as a 'global' score for things like Material Processing, Weather Forecasting, based on both MB and FOB(s) so FOBs are sort of the way you get A or S rank for some of your base abilities. Also, R&D level goes up a lot faster because you can now obviously have more R&D people, so using FOB really let's you unlock R&D 40-60 items a lot sooner in the story.

If you ignore FOB, you could probably easily only be at R&D 35-45 by Mission 30 and even below R&D when you beat the game, but if you build up your FOB right after Mission 22 and free roam/infiltrate FOBs a while before progressing the story a bit, you can probably get over R&D 50 by Mission 28-31.

and FOBs really really favour defense... you do get shit stolen but if you upgrade base development to 3/4, set it to highest security, it's pretty darn hard for invaders to steal much stuff and your bonuses to your global base stats, resource generation, etc should easily be a net sum... there's a bit of an investment cost where if you're going to do FOBs, you really should sink another GMP and resources to upgrade/place security on it, and that can be expensive, but in the long run it's worth it I think because once you make back the costs, your GMP and resources rates (not to mention R&D leveling) will be a lot faster

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
water pistol

Yep. And then use D Walker if you need a rocket launcher for choppers. You can whistle and he will teleport near you so you don't actually have to always bring him with you.

water pistol

I'm really disappointed with how strict the loadout is with what you can take in each slot.

I want a shield on the front and back, damn it.

Did you extract the highly skilled soldier before the others? If you haven't hit a checkpoint yet they will not have made it back to MB yet.

That maybe the problem. Honestly the whole save system is sparse during freeroam or side ops, which can be quite annoying when farming for highly skilled soldiers. Sure it'll save a blueprint I found on freeroam, but not extracted soldiers..lol.

I recall someone saying on here that adjusting the camera sensitivity in the options forces the game to save manually. Doe anyone know if that's true?

I'm really disappointed with how strict the loadout is with what you can take in each slot.

I want a shield on the front and back, damn it.
i wish you could carry assault rifles on your back =/

when you start customizing them into long barrel rifles with silencers, they look kinda silly almost like massive long swords on your side haha

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That maybe the problem. Honestly the whole save system is sparse during freeroam or side ops, which can be quite annoying when farming for highly skilled soldiers. Sure it'll save a blueprint I found on freeroam, but not extracted soldiers..lol.

I recall someone saying on here that adjusting the camera sensitivity in the options forces the game to save manually. Doe anyone know if that's true?
Unless you are dying a shit ton, I am pretty damn sure your guys are being saved. You hit a save point when approaching outposts and bases mainly. So if you are not check after hitting one, when you hit the next there will not be a dot near your new soldiers.

yeah it affects all your resources since if you have X resources, they're sort of evenly split across various platforms on both your MB and FOB(s).... you cannot control either. so if you're going to create a FOB and especially a Base Development platform, then make sure you defend it -- the easiest targets to raid and steal resources from are people are create a FOB and then do nothing to it, and they have like 20-40K resources from their 'total pool' just sitting there guarded by like 8 C-D ranked soldiers in shirts and pants ;p

it can affect your units too in the same way but security unit is for other platforms but your main command platform does seem to draw from your combat unit too (?) if they're killed by an other player, they'll probably just be injured in the sickbay but they can die, too; if they're fulton-ed, they're gone unless you put them on a Direct Contact

so, it has no really effect on your actual walking, move, missions, etc... no affect on how you see or act in mother base. but it can affect that stats meaningful to SP like your resources or units.... so if you are going to create upgrade an FOB, especially if you build a base development platform, then you really really should upgrade it and try build at least 2/4 or 3/4 because then your biggest resources 'collection' of containers will be on the second strut... if it's 1/4 you'll have like 12 of 15 or so containers just sitting there right in the corner by where the invader enters. so, at least upgrade your command and base development platforms and add security devices/heavy armor/snipers in towers

well it's the same sort of upgrades... so I think it's +15 per unit for unit platforms, just the same as MB... and your MB as a 'global' score for things like Material Processing, Weather Forecasting, based on both MB and FOB(s) so FOBs are sort of the way you get A or S rank for some of your base abilities. Also, R&D level goes up a lot faster because you can now obviously have more R&D people, so using FOB really let's you unlock R&D 40-60 items a lot sooner in the story.

If you ignore FOB, you could probably easily only be at R&D 35-45 by Mission 30 and even below R&D when you beat the game, but if you build up your FOB right after Mission 22 and free roam/infiltrate FOBs a while before progressing the story a bit, you can probably get over R&D 50 by Mission 28-31.

and FOBs really really favour defense... you do get shit stolen but if you upgrade base development to 3/4, set it to highest security, it's pretty darn hard for invaders to steal much stuff and your bonuses to your global base stats, resource generation, etc should easily be a net sum... there's a bit of an investment cost where if you're going to do FOBs, you really should sink another GMP and resources to upgrade/place security on it, and that can be expensive, but in the long run it's worth it I think because once you make back the costs, your GMP and resources rates (not to mention R&D leveling) will be a lot faster

Thanks so much for this post and all the information/tips you gave me. I had intended on just ignoring the FOB stuff, but it really does seem to help you build the total levels of all your groups/teams much faster. Hmm, I'll keep that in mind about the base development platform. I guess that would be the most important platform to defend if I care about all the materials. I think I'd just get annoyed after getting some A++/S people and having them stolen. I really don't like this whole online system they have in the game, lol. Oh well.

Blader

Mission 30 was a hell of a lot of fun. Dying on Mission 31 was not. :\

Although now I finally see what everyone's been laughing at.
Boss and Skull Face staring at each other silently for minutes while the song swells in the background. And then, "Such a lust for revenge!" :lol Oh Kojima

guard woke up and tried to drive away with my jeep. the chance was pretty low that i could tranq snipe his head from behind since he was so far away, but i managed to do just that.

this game knows how to treat you like a badass.

Thanks so much for this post and all the information/tips you gave me. I had intended on just ignoring the FOB stuff, but it really does seem to help you build the total levels of all your groups/teams much faster. Hmm, I'll keep that in mind about the base development platform. I guess that would be the most important platform to defend if I care about all the materials. I think I'd just get annoyed after getting some A++/S people and having them stolen. I really don't like this whole online system they have in the game, lol. Oh well.
the one thing is that if you never ever infiltrate or even support other FOBs, you're PF Rank won't really change it seems...

and the 'random 10 targets' for Infiltration or whatever seem sort of based on your PF Rank... if you're D rank, you're probably getting only 1-2 E rank players to choose from, and I think as time progresses (MGS V is less new) and more 'active' players are D or even C rank, they'll get E rank targets to choose from less and less

I think at release because basically everyone was new, so everyone was a target... but as active players level up, inactive E rank players should (...I think) be added to 'random target pools' less often... plus the hype of FOBs will probably wear down so it should increasingly make FOBs safer and safer as the game gets a older and active players outrank inactive-FOB players (...I think :p just my general impression based on how my 'targets' have changed as I've begun to level up). You can still find very low level E rank targets but they seem to appear less and less now and I think it's because the matchmaking is trying to give active players more active C-D rank targets.
It feels weird when detections happen without reflex time.

Is it fun at all?
I turned off Reflex, Markers, Item HUD, etc all around 5 hours in, and I'm at about 140 hours now ;p I find it more fun.... I tried turning some back on and it felt a bit cheesy haha I mean that in jest, of course... I mean they were included for a reason but I do find the game a lot more tense, challenging, and fun without always knowing where enemies are, having a sort of 'get out of free card,' etc... I find the game not very tense around Mission 7 or so and always knowing where enemies were, and I found they were distracting, too -- I was basically just 'seeing' red triangles, instead of actually looking for the actual graphical movements of soldiers, heads or arms popping out, distant figures behind windows, etc.

nothing wrong with leaving them on of course (I mean, it's how the game was designed and intended, right) but I think I personally think it's more fun to turn everything in the HUD off, and I've basically went through most of the game (and S ranked a lot of Missions above 30) without any of the HUD, so they're definitely not required... (like, some games have missions where they're obviously totally designed and reliant on staring at a mini-map or some other HUD part; MGS V isn't like that, very doable and not unwieldy without a HUD).

KHlover

Banned
Did you exfiltrate via chopper or via "Return to ACC"? Return to ACC depends on the game's horrible checkpoint system, so it's possible that it just reset you to a state before you had fultoned the soldiers. When I have fultoned some really good soldiers I always leave via chopper just to be safe.

rtcn63

Is it fun at all?

It's not so bad, and feels kinda like older MGS games. Although I know it's going to be much more difficult later when A+ rank soldiers come into play, so I can't promise reflex mode will stay off.

there's a chapter 7??

Yes, but it's a phantom chapter that's only accessible if you buy horse armor DLC.

Is it fun at all?
First thing I disabled in Ground Zeroes and the first thing I've disabled in Phantom Pain. I can't imagine turning it on and making the game that easy. That said, I also disabled target marking in GZ and it was fucking incredibly tense and amazing, but I really don't think that would work in TPP with so much close quarters stealth.

I'e never missed reflex mode because I operate at night whenever possible and very low to the ground and creep - which means a guard almost never spots me - they *begin* to spot me, and get curious, and sometimes come to investigate, which usually works in my favor. The only time you need to worry about getting instantly spotted is during the day, or when caught out in the open in a spotlight's glare, but if that happens you pretty much deserve to get gunned down ;p

It's not so bad, and feels kinda like older MGS games. Although I know it's going to be much more difficult later when A+ rank soldiers come into play, so I can't promise reflex mode will stay off.

unfortunately the game seems to have been made with the reflex mode in mind. in previous games, except MGS4 because nanomachines, you had more time to interrupt a guard before he alerts everyone.

Kindekuma

Banned
This wasn't as bad as I thought. Took a few tries, but got the hang of it.

tph30Tg.jpg

stupid
Viscount
from Mission 14 lol I've been trying to level up mission targets that I've recruited by manually sending them on E rank Dispatch missions and earning them medals, and
Viscount
is the first story character to die during one... Finger, Eye, Silent Harrier, Silent Mastodon, Jackal and all the other Wandering soldiers, all leveled up... and of course that stupid
Viscount
was the first to get KIA ;p I wonder if I can recruit him again... like, if you re-do Mission 14 normally, you can't recruit him twice... same for
Mosquito
and Mission 22, et cetera... any 'unique' story character. but I wonder when I re-do it again tonight, now that he's dead, maybe I can re-recruit him... makes me wonder, if Finger or Eye die, can you re-update your GZ data to TPP and force them to get re-recruited, too? haha I should be careful with them ;p
The only time you need to worry about getting instantly spotted is during the day, or when caught out in the open in a spotlight's glare, but if that happens you pretty much deserve to get gunned down ;p
that's how I play, more of a rambo action approach, always engaged and in a shootout/switching between cover. makes shootouts a lot more fun, both mechanically and visually without markers

and i find no markers/reflex helps keep me honest, humbled ;p not to rush too much and get caught in close range to a pair of S rank guards with shotguns haha
unfortunately the game seems to have been made with the reflex mode in mind. in previous games, except MGS4 because nanomachines, you had more time to interrupt a guard before he alerts everyone.
it still takes them a little bit to actually raise an alarm. the biggest threat is just their gunfire alerting people... so, the big thing is to force them not to fire... instantly hip fire a few shots into their leg, shoot their helmet once and force them into cover, use your flashlight to blind them... you can be 'engaged' with them and they alerted to you, without any actual radio alarm being raised. so if they're at range, just hipfire anywhere shoot for their legs to just knock them down -- you don't need to kill them, just stop them from firing their gun; if you're inside a building, the flashlight helps a lot and buys you that extra moment to charge punch 'em, or even quickly throw a smoke grenade -- they'll think it's a grenade and duck for cover (delaying calling radio alarm) but the 'nade won't raise alarm either, buying you time to charge punch 'em or CQQ combo 2 of 'em

i think it's good it's on by default because it does help you get used to the game. but I find that soon as you think you don't need it, it's good to turn off because, 1. you basically guarantee an extra 10K points for your mission scores (faster GMP and Heroism), 2. will probably get a few more S ranks on your first try, 3. helps you practice for Extreme missions later on.

that said, around 100 hours in, I begun to actually find myself missing Reflex mode.... wondering, maybe I was missing out on a few cool slow-mo John Woo moments haha =p so I sometimes carry Acceleraytm or whatever it's called now just so that if I'm in free roam and I feel like a certain ambush or trap would be more fun in slow motion, I can trigger it whenever I want just because sometimes it is fun to use

Hypron

I'm 100 hours into the game and never once used reflex mode (or visible markers actually). It's probably harder but I really don't miss it. Not having reflex mode or the white indicators on screen makes you a lot more aware of your surroundings and teaches you to become a better player.

You still have a couple of seconds to cancel an alert even without reflex mode.

Allforce

Is it a good tactic to raise all my different unit and base platform levels equally? Or do some of you find that you just ignore say, Intel and Base Development and just pour every soldier into one particular category?

I have pretty much every unit around Level 15-19 right now, and all my base upgrades are at 2/4. Then I started thinking maybe I should have just focused on a few at a time instead and that the game will probably never give me enough resources to max them all out so I've screwed myself.

i think i was pretty lucky with combat deployments. got most critical ones first try. also got leopard tortoise randomly. will probably glitch with something randomly or fail at the conversation part hard. can't have too much luck.

Is it a good tactic to raise all my different unit and base platform levels equally? Or do some of you find that you just ignore say, Intel and Base Development and just pour every soldier into one particular category?

I have pretty much every unit around Level 15-19 right now, and all my base upgrades are at 2/4. Then I started thinking maybe I should have just focused on a few at a time instead and that the game will probably never give me enough resources to max them all out so I've screwed myself.
I always front-loaded R&D and Base Development first because I found that, for the most part, it had by far the most impact... Intel or Support is so marginal and, well, supportive, that you can still enjoy the core combat or infiltration without it.

But between Missions, checking if a new gun was unlocked or I had enough fuel to upgrade a platform was a lot more meaningful and sort of absolute... in that, an extra 10% Intel or Support was probably unnoticed and very marginal, but an extra 10% R&D level or fuel could have been the deciding factor between having a cool and different new sniper rifle or rocket launcher for my first tank mission, my first sniper mission, etc. slightly better support is very margin, grey... slightly better R&D is rather absolute and can be very black and white, an item either locked or unlocked.

So... I would say, don't hesitate to take A+ Support units with A or even B+ R&D, and put them into R&D, if that's what you want. I found it more useful to unlock certain items quicker than slightly better air drops and intel =p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Go with what you think is most important.

1. Base Dev for more Fuel per crate.
2. R&D for more staff
3. Command for more Staff in general
4. Combat
5. Intel
6. Security, unless you like HackerOB.

I feel like I accidentally easy moded Mission 20
I shot the water tanks inside the building to cause Fire Dude to fall down and then called down Pequod to land and then left but I feel like I should have beat him and then the blocked tunnel should have opened up.

putarorex

I was loving the game until mission 45.
Started the mission with the wrong gear (regular uniform and non-lethal stuff) and can't abort the mission. The one rocket launcher from Quiet aint gonna cut it. It only gives me the option to quit to the title screen or restart the mission. I don't have alot of GMP either so I am in the red after a few supply drops. After dieing 15 times I just gave up. I'd rather fight Skulls for three missions in a row than this. Is there anyway to abort the mission? Can I let them kill Quiet so I can keep playing? :)

i think i was pretty lucky with combat deployments. got most critical ones first try. also got leopard tortoise randomly. will probably glitch with something randomly or fail at the conversation part hard. can't have too much luck.

Watch out the blueprints don't disappear on you, or you'll be stuck in hell LIKE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I feel like I accidentally easy moded Mission 20
I shot the water tanks inside the building to cause Fire Dude to fall down and then called down Pequod to land and then left but I feel like I should have beat him and then the blocked tunnel should have opened up.

It wouldn't open up if you defeated him anyway. There's also a third option of fultoning him.

TitusTroy

I'm curious about Mission 45/Side-Op 150...

so Side-Op 150 leads directly into Mission 45 but what happens if you start Mission 45 without doing Side-Op 150 first...will Side-Op 150 still be available?

jett

D-Member
That feeling when you have been playing this game for 140 hours and only just learned you could use cardboard boxes to fast travel in Afghanistan and Africa.

That extra feeling when you learn that's all good for nothing because you must have had picked up an "invoice" at these totally fucking nondescript "delivery" locations.

That added feeling when you're feeling like fuck this game. Why isn't capturing an outpost enough to let you fast travel between them? What the fuck is this?

Spazznid

That feeling when you have been playing this game for 140 hours and only just learned you could use cardboard boxes to fast travel in Afghanistan and Africa.

That extra feeling when you learn that's all good for nothing because you must have had picked up an "invoice" at these totally fucking nondescript "delivery" locations.

That added feeling when you're feeling like fuck this game. Why isn't capturing an outpost enough to let you fast travel between them? What the fuck is this?

Bitch, you think this is FarCry? Best get to walkin'.

I'm curious about Mission 45/Side-Op 150...

so Side-Op 150 leads directly into Mission 45 but what happens if you start Mission 45 without doing Side-Op 150 first...will Side-Op 150 still be available?
I was under the impression that
you can't activate Mission #45 until after finishing Side-Op #150 since it concerns obtaining intel of Quiet's location.

jett said:

It was definitely a mechanic that should've been introduced through the main missions. I didn't realize you could utilize them for fast travel until later in Africa around the
Code Talker
missions. You can use boxes to travel around Mother Base at the delivery points as well instead of opting for the helicopter. I believe it's an outright glaring issue that you can't use the aircraft to move across the maps anyway! In regard to cut content, the official maps supposedly note delivery areas that are no longer in the final product. I get the feeling this fast travel option was intentionally withheld from the player to encourage building your bond with D-Horse/D-Dog on the field and discreetly padding out the playtime even further.

beat the game. probably best game I played in terms of gameplay outside of bloodborne as a possible contender. Story wasn't as strong as the previous MGS but o well.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I completed the prologue, first mission and went to Mother Base for the first time. Seeing as how I still have three tasks left for the first mission, I choose to replay it but I have three questions -

1) Do I still have to rescue Miller despite the fact that I already did it?
2) Are the outposts that I cleared the first time still cleared?
3) Anyway of replaying a mission without actually replaying it? By this, I mean, can I just be dropped into an area and continue where I left off without rescuing Miller (since I did it already), clearing the outposts that I already cleared, etc.?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

KarmaCow

If it makes you feel better the delivery system with boxes is worthless most of the time since if the guards are on alert (not just combat alert, any kind of alert) the service stops. Not to mention there are usually guards watching or near the drop off location anyways. You're better off checkpoint->menu->Return to ACC and just redeploying.

I completed the prologue, first mission and went to Mother Base for the first time. Seeing as how I still have three tasks left for the first mission, I choose to replay it but I have three questions -

1) Do I still have to rescue Miller despite the fact that I already did it?
2) Are the outposts that I cleared the first time still cleared?
3) Anyway of replaying a mission without actually replaying it? By this, I mean, can I just be dropped into an area and continue where I left off without rescuing Miller (since I did it already), clearing the outposts that I already cleared, etc.?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1) Yes, you're essentially replaying the mission. Everything is the same.

2) No, when the game reloads the world either from a checkpoint or going back via a mission, the world is reset. There are a few things that are permanent, like taking out anti-air radar others that eventually respawn on a timer like resources and comms equipment but for the most part the world, guards, pathing, alert status, etc gets reset.

3) If you just want to mess around in the open world, select a side op and drop in. You don't need to specifically do the side op you selected before deploying. The world is more a vanilla state without the specifics of things unique to missions though.

Top Bottom