• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

LQX

After 90 hours I'm thinking of starting over and not do mission 45.
I miss Quite being on missions with me. Moreover, I just found out she could scout bases and I did not think to use the cover feature and usually told her who to kill so I missed out on using her effectively.

Oh so I can sell them all and just keep one?

Well, they can be destroyed during dispatch missions. Then there's some later dispatch missions that require up to three.

I got through all of the dispatch missions with about 6 or 7, and was down to 3 after I succeeded in the final one. It's random, so I'd say have extra just in case, but you could potentially only need 3.

Thats good. In which case I'd still recommend having multiples.

Absolutely. In summation, don't sell them until the yellow dispatches are gone.

Selling them is pointless anyway, because you get chump change for them compared to the multiple money max-outs you can get by selling a mere percentage of your biological material.

Seriously, why is the progression in this game so unnecessarily convoluted?

I will say it was not for me, because I did the missions as I got them and listened to the tapes as I did the side-ops. I guess that's what they expected people to do, because my ride to 100% was smooth except for 1 or 2 bugs.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I will say it was not for me, because I did the missions as I got them and listened to the tapes as I did the side-ops. I guess that's what they expected people to do, because my ride to 100% was smooth except for 1 or 2 bugs.

Same here. My brother is gonna get some rude awakening when he realizes he's gonna have to listen to 30 tapes in a row to get to the ending (he hasn't listened any at all).

Afrodium

Banned
Is mission 43 the last story mission? I just started it and it feels that way. I don't have too long to play now so I want to know if I should wait a bit to play it.

Same here. My brother is gonna get some rude awakening when he realizes he's gonna have to listen to 30 tapes in a row to get to the ending (he hasn't listened any at all).

You should tell your brother to skip the Codetalker tapes. Save himself a headache.

Also, the fast-forward button on the tape player is a godsend. Skips lines, instead of moving forward a set amount of time.

Is mission 43 the last story mission? I just started it and it feels that way. I don't have too long to play now so I want to know if I should wait a bit to play it.

There's some more, but you'll have to sidequest or pursue missions until you unlock the rest. Specifically
There's seven more missions, two of which are story-related. One is the ending and the other is a Quiet-specific mission. All the rest are challenge repeats of previous missions.
So just keep playing until you unlock all of them.

So some of the music cassettes you pick up are songs that came out in the late 80's and early 90's. Were The Patriots suppressing The Cure songs, in addition to various technologies?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You should tell your brother to skip the Codetalker tapes. Save himself a headache.

Also, the fast-forward button on the tape player is a godsend. Skips lines, instead of moving forward a set amount of time.

No. BWAHAHAHAHA.

So some of the music cassettes you pick up are songs that came out in the late 80's and early 90's. Were The Patriots suppressing The Cure songs, in addition to various technologies?

Just go with what many MGS fans are apparently doing: It's all fan-fiction!

These "tail this person to listen to all conversations" side-objectives are AWFUL.

Miller got mad at me for tranquilizing and fultoning some important guy I was supposed to tail. But apparently he gave up the needed info when he arrived at base and I was able to complete the mission.(Thanks Ocelot)

I know the Plat trophy requires you to do all objectives for all missions, but I really don't want to do these tailing ones.

KarmaCow

WTF? We AssCreed now?

It's not as bad as Assassian's Creed because there you need to actually follow them (but not too close!). For the listen to the conversation stuff, you just need to be near where they will end up having the conversation. The problem is that the ai pathing can break pretty easily.

I know the Plat trophy requires you to do all objectives for all missions, but I really don't want to do these tailing ones.

The only super-duper shitty one was the Total Stealth version of The War Economy. All of the others are way faster and/or easier.

Tip: Don't do the other objective for The War Economy in the same run and steal the resource containers. The dudes will notice and have the base go on alert after you followed their stinking assholes for 5 minutes and rode in their shitty truck that also stinks.

Woffls

The only super-duper shitty one was the Total Stealth version of The War Economy. All of the others are way faster and/or easier.

Tip: Don't do the other objective for The War Economy in the same run and steal the resource containers. The dudes will notice and have the base go on alert after you followed their stinking assholes for 5 minutes and rode in their shitty truck that also stinks.
That conversation task on War Economy can actually be done without much trouble. Key the the solution is just chillin on the roof where the sniper is (rriiight at the top) and int scoping all the conversations.

That conversation task on War Economy can actually be done without much trouble. Key the the solution is just chillin on the roof where the sniper is (rriiight at the top) and int scoping all the conversations.

Ah shit. I never thought to try for fear of the chopper seeing me. This game has multiple solutions for almost everything.

I asked in the "questions" thread, but might as well put it here, too. Is there any benefit to being online and creating a FOB? I was offline for Mission 22 so I didn't have to make one. I would really rather not deal with all that online invasion BS and would prefer to just stay offline. Would I be missing out on anything?

RDreamer

What the FUCK at mission 31.

I keep getting to the part where it goes in slow mo and I think I have to shoot the fucking kid, but I'm either out of fucking ammo or like this last time it blew me the fuck up too somehow

This mission is just stupid.

leng jai

I keep getting to the part where it goes in slow mo and I think I have to shoot the fucking kid, but I'm either out of fucking ammo or like this last time it blew me the fuck up too somehow

Just shoot it with your rifle.

Kindekuma

Banned

31 isn't hard, rocket the HELL out of the Metal Gear, keep moving, and when reflex mode triggers, shoot The Third Child to stun ST-84. There's a lot of rocks to keep covered with, it's not that bad. Just wait until 45.

fritzo

I asked in the "questions" thread, but might as well put it here, too. Is there any benefit to being online and creating a FOB? I was offline for Mission 22 so I didn't have to make one. I would really rather not deal with all that online invasion BS and would prefer to just stay offline. Would I be missing out on anything?

Yes and no. FOBs are an extension to your MB. Its essentially an Online MB. Its not needed, but allows you to increase the staff of your offline MB. My only issue is the security stuff you need for your FOB. Maintaining 1 MB is probably enough for most people.

RDreamer

31 isn't hard, rocket the HELL out of the Metal Gear, keep moving, and when reflex mode triggers, shoot The Third Child to stun ST-84. There's a lot of rocks to keep covered with, it's not that bad. Just wait until 45.

I've lost this mission more than every other mission I've played in the game combined. Times probably 4.

Yes and no. FOBs are an extension to your MB. Its essentially an Online MB. Its not needed, but allows you to increase the staff of your offline MB. My only issue is the security stuff you need for your FOB. Maintaining 1 MB is probably enough for most people.

Hmm.. how much does it let you increase your staff for your offline MB? I hate that they tied something like that to it. :( I just really don't want to be invaded and have my staff/stuff stolen. Seems really annoying.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They get messed up so easily. I ended up going pure stealth just in case. Which one are you having trouble with, the one around Kiziba camp?

16, the transport
because of the event trigger. I just used
Stealth Camo
and got it. But geez, the scripts are bad on triggering those.

Woffls

Ah shit. I never thought to try for fear of the chopper seeing me. This game has multiple solutions for almost everything.
Very easy to avoid that chopper, even right under its nose. It mostly focusses on the targets iirc.

16, the transport
because of the event trigger. I just used
Stealth Camo
and got it. But geez, the scripts are bad on triggering those.
Oh man I forgot about that one. Think second conversation triggered at like 60m or something. Initially tried at 100m and got nothing.

RDreamer

Just shoot it with your rifle.

Finally beat it. I started shooting it with my SMG, and that worked. Except the time I finally beat it I had quite the scare.
When the slow down happened for the 2nd time and the kid was supposed to be there he just wasn't. He wasn't anywhere at all, so I got blasted, but luckily somehow survived that.

Allforce

I feel like I've played the FUCK out of this game and haven't even progressed much. I'm at 16% Overall Completion, I have Episodes 10 and 13 available to me at this point (but beat 11 and 12), and have 233 soldiers at MB.

But I'm still using the same old shit I've used the entire game. Tranq pistol, box, standard assault rifle with silencer. I JUST unlocked a grenade launcher which would have helped on certain missions that said "Recommended: Missile" but I toughed it out and used C4 but at this point I'm overwhelmed thinking about how many MORE guys I gotta fulton into my base just to get R&D up to build some cool shit. And I'm even sending out guys on combat deployment who are steady bringing dudes back.

It's overwhelmingly slow progress it feels like. I enjoy building up to becoming a powerhouse but this is almost exhausting to look at the requirements.

I know it doesn't really suit the sort of classic 'it's a sneaking mission' mantra of his FOXHOUND roots but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sbVE7RIeV4

this game is really fun to blow shit up in haha I just love calling in air support

I even always bring a air support flash grenade even though it's kinda a waste of a slow considering the iDroid function for it when it's actually important.... just because I know that if I bring the flash grenades I'll use them more often :D

plus it's just way more fun to throw an air support flash grenade from cover a la Blackhawk Down and then watch them radio out, "Coming in hot, boss! rocket salvo, rocket salvo!" pewpewpewpew

protip: you can use the flash grenades to call in a LZ too if you're lazy ;p iDroid is faster because they won't check for enemies first, but if you want your helicopter to be there exactly when you finish and help clean up 1-2 stragglers, throw that air support grenade and they'll help you pick off that last guy or patrol hiding and be ready to pick you up soon as you're doing performing Grand Theft Metal V Phantom Resources on the enemy camp ;p

same with some of the tanks and other heavy vehicles... I sort of ignored them for for most of the game, but actually they're really fun haha and it's cool to try re-do missions with a tank or armored rocket launcher vehicle

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I definitely plan on using the restart checkpoint option next time around because
I need Huey to remain untouched and the game pits you right against the metal gear right after the cut scene. I figure my best chance is to run between the legs and hide behind the rocks before putting him on Dhorse before praying I can lose the trail of the psychic giant robot.

I finished this level for the first time last night (A rank as well) and didn't have the horse. I ran to the landing sites and found a spot behind some rocks you could hide even from the last scanners (one was blocked by trees). I then got the all clear from Miller and away I went. Was surprised how easy it seemed especially now reading others experiences.

mf.luder

Hmmm. I've completed all side ops but trophy hasn't popped. Maybe if I return to MB?

Edit: Mission 150 just popped. Can't believe that I don't know how to read, thought I went through the list.

Afrodium

Banned

I honestly had no idea this slo-mo part ever happened until I saw this post. I never once triggered it in all my attempts on this mission. I just
shot the glowing core D-Walker and rockets until it was down.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly had no idea this slo-mo part ever happened until I saw this post. I never once triggered it in all my attempts on this mission. I just
shot the glowing core D-Walker and rockets until it was down.

It happened to me randomly. It's also one of the optional tasks!

Quick question for all. Have you experienced soldiers who are fultoned to MB never arriving there during side missions or free roam?

I've done numerous side missions where the target is extracted, but sometimes additional units I extract as well never are acknowledged to have arrived at MB as well. Frustrating because some were elite or highly skilled soldiers.

Mission 31
I found that an LMG had better DPS and ammo sustainability overall. It's probably another mission where D-Walker would be a fantastic choice.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Quick question for all. Have you experienced soldiers who are fultoned to MB never arriving there during side missions or free roam?

I've done numerous side missions where the target is extracted, but sometimes additional units I extract as well never are acknowledged to have arrived at MB as well. Frustrating because some were elite or highly skilled soldiers.
How do you know they don't make it? Also extractions can fail.

RDreamer

Mission 31
I found that an LMG had better DPS and ammo sustainability overall. It's probably another mission where D-Walker would be a fantastic choice.

I tried using D-Walker, but it didn't seem to work out too well, at least the rocket version.
For one, the camera using D-Walker doesn't seem to go up high enough, or maybe I was fucking something up. To shoot those things in the back I had to almost be on higher ground or way far away. The bigger problem, however, was that for some reason running out of ammo with D-Walker didn't trigger the auto-resupply. I had to call it on my own, and it only gave me 4 more goddamned rockets.

I tried using D-Walker, but it didn't seem to work out too well, at least the rocket version.
For one, the camera using D-Walker doesn't seem to go up high enough, or maybe I was fucking something up. To shoot those things in the back I had to almost be on higher ground or way far away. The bigger problem, however, was that for some reason running out of ammo with D-Walker didn't trigger the auto-resupply. I had to call it on my own, and it only gave me 4 more goddamned rockets.

Okay. Just use an LMG then. The point was that a high powered automatic worked better than rockets, IMO, and D-Walker has an amazing gatling gun.

what do you mean about D-Walker camera? are you aiming in third-person and the 'camera behind you' hits the ground as you try aim up? have you tried first person? d-walker should be pretty much exclusively used in first person in actual combat, it makes aiming and speed skating waaaaay easier

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Semi-related
1440978118411836456.gif

Like whoa

Top Bottom