• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Tain

I'm 100 hours into the game and never once used reflex mode (or visible markers actually). It's probably harder but I really don't miss it. Not having reflex mode or the white indicators on screen makes you a lot more aware of your surroundings and teaches you to become a better player.

You still have a couple of seconds to cancel an alert even without reflex mode.

I didn't even think to turn off the enemy markers, damn. That could be fun!

Demption

Boarded Pequod on Mother Base and flew away. Black screen. 60h in, just before unlocking mission 43. Didn't use Quiet on mission 42. KONAMIIIII.

somebody willing to share some info?

iam on the mission traitors caravan
tried it at least 20 times and i still cant do anything.
first time i failed to see where the van is
second time the tanks killed me
third time when i got fulton for vehicles the ghosts kill me
and since then no progress.
whereever and whenever i try to get away with the van they fucking kill me.

sometimes there is some sort of stone or something flying it me, but its really rare so iam not sure what this is about.
i dont want shitty yt-walkthroughs, i want a simple quick helpful info regarding to this specific one question, if somebody is able to deliver.

fuck this mission :(
What I did was take Quiet with me, ran round to the "opposite" side of the airport (ie where the truck is) and toss a few smoke grenades over before hopping the fence, triggering the cut scene. I then ran straight over to one of the tanks, reversed away from the truck so it doesn't get hurt and just shot the hell out of the skulls. I think I only killed one with the first tank but damaged the rest quite a bit. All the whole Quiet is shooting them in the head, too. When my tank blows up (you don't die) I jumped in the 2nd tank, repeat. By the time that one blew up there was only one Skull left - I used a few rockets on him and he went down. The mist then clears and the base is basically empty so you should be able to just drive out of the hotzone with no problem.

Soodanim

I didn't even think to turn off the enemy markers, damn. That could be fun!
I came into this thread to talk about how I recently turned off all of the HUD except for weapon when aiming and the aiming reticles (necessary for throwing arcs, which you need when you lack your own brain's calculations of where a thrown object will roughly go).

Even the markers being off makes it feel more like MGS3, and you immediately see the value in the NVG and sonar. It's good for series veterans though, as it gives a little bit more challenge to a game where D-Dog and the threat ring give you better senses than Superman.

{Mission type talk}
Extreme missions made me laugh, because I've never even seen the chicken hat and I turned off reflex a long time ago. Subsistence ones are great. I've yet to combine it with the above, but that's going to be a true Subsistence experience.

Disclaimer: I did this in chapter 2, so I don't know how viable this would be for a NG run.

One last thing: turning off the shaky running effect is the best decision I made that day. Things are so much better without it.

I came into this thread to talk about how I recently turned off all of the HUD except for weapon when aiming and the aiming reticles (necessary for throwing arcs, which you need when you lack your own brain's calculations of where a thrown object will roughly go).

Even the markers being off makes it feel more like MGS3, and you immediately see the value in the NVG and sonar. It's good for series veterans though, as it gives a little bit more challenge to a game where D-Dog and the threat ring give you better senses than Superman.

yeah you know I never even realize that... I use NVG a lot, with Markers off. With Markers I suppose its use outside of, sandstorms, and initial distance marking, is rather diminished.

the biggest thing for me is that it's obviously a lot more tense not knowing where enemies are once you lose LOS, so it's more challenging and tense, but it's also a lot more visually pleasing during shootouts...

I was raiding the palace free roam around Mission 6 when I found myself staring at red triangles in the distance and not really 'seeing' all the actual action going on... heads bobbing behind cover, arms poking out with guns, figures moving quickly between open windows trying to find sniper fire... most of that was a blur and it reminded me of when you 'drive staring at a minimap' -- I was shooting and looking at red triangles more than the actual action that was unfolding, red HUD triangles rather than actual hiding and shooting soldiers

so it was for added challenge and tension, too, but similar to turning off the Item HUD, it was as much for challenge and tension as it was for clearer action and just better visual appreciation.

Ludens

Banned
Any news about Konami fixing the blueprint bug, instead of selling horse armors?
It's not even a PC only bug, but it's present on all platforms.

Jintor

i was just doodling and this happened

tumblr_nv2gceZUaA1rnx5rho1_400.jpg

For some reason, i can't exit iDroid by pressing O button anymore, i have to use TouchPad to exit. Not breaking game bug but kinda annoyed, this bug trigger when i replay episode 1 after finishing episode 46 for me.
Does anyone have the same bug like me?

somebody willing to share some info?

iam on the mission traitors caravan
tried it at least 20 times and i still cant do anything.
first time i failed to see where the van is
second time the tanks killed me
third time when i got fulton for vehicles the ghosts kill me
and since then no progress.
whereever and whenever i try to get away with the van they fucking kill me.

sometimes there is some sort of stone or something flying it me, but its really rare so iam not sure what this is about.
i dont want shitty yt-walkthroughs, i want a simple quick helpful info regarding to this specific one question, if somebody is able to deliver.

fuck this mission :(

If you're just in it for getting an S rank:

Bring D-Horse in with you.
The truck spawns at the airport, and there's a convenient way in right next to it.
Get the cutscene, fulton the truck, and run towards the entrance while whistling for D-Horse. Jump on while running, and get out of dodge ASAP.

End-game spoilers:

Looking at the youtube videos, I want to say that the Extreme version of the mission has a larger hot-zone radius; I actually failed the mission twice trying to figure out where I needed to go by leaving the mission area. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 100 hours into the game and never once used reflex mode (or visible markers actually). It's probably harder but I really don't miss it. Not having reflex mode or the white indicators on screen makes you a lot more aware of your surroundings and teaches you to become a better player.

You still have a couple of seconds to cancel an alert even without reflex mode.

I haven't had Reflex on either but last night during [Mission/Boss Spoiler]
the Code Walker fight with The Sniper Skulls
it popped automatically.

Very annoying.

Amazing fight though. Never gone toe to toe with The Skulls before

23qwerty

I've finished the initial Huey mission and I still don't have DD grown up? Halp, pretty sure he should be grown by now? I've done a bunch of side missions as well.

myco666

If you're just in it for getting an S rank:

Bring D-Horse in with you.
The truck spawns at the airport, and there's a convenient way in right next to it.
Get the cutscene, fulton the truck, and run towards the entrance while whistling for D-Horse. Jump on while running, and get out of dodge ASAP.

End-game spoilers:

Looking at the youtube videos, I want to say that the Extreme version of the mission has a larger hot-zone radius; I actually failed the mission twice trying to figure out where I needed to go by leaving the mission area. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Other decent way to do the mission is to
just get into the truck and drive away.
Had to do it this way since I didn't have good enough fulton at that point.

edit.
I've finished the initial Huey mission and I still don't have DD grown up? Halp, pretty sure he should be grown by now? I've done a bunch of side missions as well.

Just go to motherbase every once in awhile. I would assume that makes that him grow.

If you fail a mission do you usually restart it fro the beginning or from checkpoint?

Starts from a checkpoint but there aren't usually that many checkpoints in missions and some doesn't have at all.

chefbags

Really enjoyed mission 43

it was dark and I actually felt bad killing all my people in a way. And also it had the most cutscenes in a mission lol plus it felt like a claustrophobic mission like mgs 2

Really enjoyed mission 43

it was dark and I actually felt bad killing all my people in a way. And also it had the most cutscenes in a mission lol plus it felt like a claustrophobic mission like mgs 2

I thought i played Resident Evil in Fox engine during this mission lol

TitusTroy

I was under the impression that
you can't activate Mission #45 until after finishing Side-Op #150 since it concerns obtaining intel of Quiet's location.

I had Side-Ops 150, Mission 45 and Mission 46 all available...they actually all unlocked together...I wonder if I would have gotten some kind of message if I tried to do 45 without doing 150

JustDrive

Just completed 42 and
a second outbreak has occurred on mother base, Noooooooo. Am I going to lose a boat load of soldiers again? Is there a way to limit this like powering through missions as before? looking through my list I can see quite a few symptomatic including
A++ and S rank soldiers.

sappyday

Just completed 42 and
a second outbreak has occurred on mother base, Noooooooo. Am I going to lose a boat load of soldiers again? Is there a way to limit this like powering through missions as before? looking through my list I can see quite a few symptomatic including
A++ and S rank soldiers.

You want a full answer?

If so then read this:
It's story related and it won't affect your soldiers like last time.

Non spoiler answer: Don't worry.

Henkka

Banned
That feeling when you have been playing this game for 140 hours and only just learned you could use cardboard boxes to fast travel in Afghanistan and Africa.

That extra feeling when you learn that's all good for nothing because you must have had picked up an "invoice" at these totally fucking nondescript "delivery" locations.

That added feeling when you're feeling like fuck this game. Why isn't capturing an outpost enough to let you fast travel between them? What the fuck is this?

Yeah it's baffling that there's no tutorial for the invoice stuff. It's even worse that you can't see them on the map before you discover them, and you can't find out their location by interrogating soldiers. It would be a perfectly fine system if it was explained in the beginning. They are highlighted when wearing the NVG though

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I gotta say the only thing that i find to be a real bummer about this game is all the
reapat missions on extreme/subsistence
. That should have been its own separate thing.

Henkka

Banned
I gotta say the only thing that i find to be a real bummer about this game is all the
reapat missions on extreme/subsistence
. That should have been its own separate thing.

The Subsistence missions are super fun, I wish it was a modifier for all missions

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Subsistence missions are super fun, I wish it was a modifier for all missions

I think that would have been better as well. Attach some kind of camo or weapon as a reward for beating a certain amount of missions. Instead they just kind of padded the number of missions. Oh well. Still super happy with the game.

SugarDave

I just started mission 15 and my playtime is at something like 50-55 hours. I need to comment on how much of a joy this game is just to handle, the controls are perfect. Even D-Horse and D-Walker feel great to ride when you'd assume they'd be problematic. It's not without its faults but the gameplay here is just fantastic, I'm having a blast mixing up my tactics and experimenting with all of the different weapons and items. Stealth and combat are equally as fun as is everything in between.

I would love for there to be more cutscenes, mainly because I just really enjoy how Kojima directs scenes, but it's not bothering me as much as I expected. Neither is Snake's lack of dialogue, honestly it probably wouldn't even register with me if people weren't already talking about it prior to release from previews etc. Most of his lines in the older games are unneccesary anyway. Of course I've yet to reach the second chapter where I've heard things start to fall apart a bit so we'll see what happens there but I'm hoping a lot of the complaints story-wise are due to issues with canon. I can deal with that as it's the last thing I care about in Metal Gear, the ideas and themes are what have resonated with me throughout the series.

My story prediction is that
you don't play as Big Boss. Aside from the prologue which was all very dodgy, there was a moment in the first mission where Pequod calls you Ahab along with there being loads of lines about getting used to your new self etc. The Mammal Pod's only line was "It's not you, is it?" which I have feeling wasn't a question. Oh, and while listening to tapes in the ACC I saw that Snake's reflection looked like the avatar I made at the beginning... so yeah. I haven't met him yet, but I'm guessing the "weapon to surpass Metal Gear" is Eli as well, assuming he does turn out to be Liquid.

eso76

The Hamburger tapes are amazing, that is all.

Yeah and people say the story is weak.

Anyway I unlocked all missions up to 44 and I know the end is near.
But I only know from reading neogaf: there has been little build up and there's still a lot to be explained, the game doesn't feel like its getting its loose ends tightened anytime soon.
I feel like I'll play another random mission that feels disconnected from the plot and then bam, last episode.

Won't complain, regardless of how disappointing and unfulfilling the ending might be I just checked and I've been playing and enjoying the game for 50hrs.

Also, I'm with the above poster's prediction. Have always been and the prologue gave a few things away.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yeah I'd gladly have played every compatible mission that way, it's a great way of restoring early game tension.

Though I guess there's nothing stopping me from just deploying with an empty loadout and making my own subsistence versions.

Greddleok

Yeah I'd gladly have played every compatible mission that way, it's a great way of restoring early game tension.

Though I guess there's nothing stopping me from just deploying with an empty loadout and making my own subsistence versions.

There is. You must take a primary, and you must take a secondary.

I always deploy in side ops with a 1 star AK and 1 star dmg pistol. It's...roughly the same.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
There is. You must take a primary, and you must take a secondary.

I always deploy in side ops with a 1 star AK and 1 star dmg pistol. It's...roughly the same.
Oh that's a shame. There's so many features I'd like to see patched in but they'll never come, or if they do, Konami will trickle them out in DLC to bleed it dry.

Lanrutcon

So, enemy equipment progress. Does someone have a detailed explanation for it? I mean, the enemy are all wearing body armor, helmets and modded firearms these days (which is fine). What's odd is the distribution of things like mines. Some areas have now sprouted mines, but most haven't. Is this a development that's going to spread? Are cameras going to start popping up everywhere too?

Top Bottom