• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

mitchlol

So I'm loving MGS 5 and now I'm left wondering if I will enjoy peace walker on my Vita?

Does the game feel archaic when compared to MGS 5, like controls movement, gunplay etc. MGS 5 flows so damn good I wish it would never end ><

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So is mission
the last one? Currently on
and god damn there are a lot of
tanks

LiK

So I'm loving MGS 5 and now I'm left wondering if I will enjoy peace walker on my Vita?

Does the game feel archaic when compared to MGS 5, like controls movement, gunplay etc. MGS 5 flows so damn good I wish it would never end ><

it's pretty archaic and very bite-sized because it was made for PSP originally. not that great. but if you're getting PW, get the HD version. they improved stuff.

finished Chapter 1 last night. that was good. more to go.

I think your Mother Base completion also affects what soldiers you find. I consistently find A+/A++ in the field now.

that could be it. i only have 3 more sections to complete to have 4/4 in everything

it's pretty archaic and very bite-sized because it was made for PSP originally. not that great. but if you're getting PW, get the HD version. they improved stuff.

yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired on vita because of the control issues. you can't have dual analog and use the front facing buttons for any actions so it's awkward. playable, but awkward.

the thing with PW is though, the missions are very linear. so that sense of tackling things differently isn't really there. it's definitely worth playing though. especially if you just want to go through the story and not grind too much

Louis010

Banned
Yeah, I'm really enjoying having them off. The first thing I did when I turned it all off was take on a tank unit, and I thought it was going to be hell but it wasn't. I can't help but think there should have been one of those "Are you new to MGS?" questions when you started like in 3, with this being the setup for experienced players.

You're so right about all of the stuff cluttering the screen, and you still have the markers on the map if you need them. Trial records telling me how many times I've been shot? Gone. Orange triangles? Gone. Superhuman senses? Gone. You still get the audio cue, but you don't know where it's from so you pay attention to your surroundings (you should do anyway). Same with damage direction. If only you could turn off the blood splats and just have the screen turn red.

I do recommend that people try it, especially if you played 1-4.

Going to try it tonight! I only started v yesterday after playing through all the others, and marking does make it seem a tad easy compared to the others. First thing I did also was turn reflex mode off.

Vuze

This hasn't been figured out. Some people see them as early as 150k Heroism. There's probably a number of variables that affect this, with Heroism being only one of them.
I see, hm. I'll keep an eye out.
I think your Mother Base completion also affects what soldiers you find. I consistently find A+/A++ in the field now.
Yeah, that could be part of it. I still have four or five stations to max out. Damn fuel resources

LiK

that could be it. i only have 3 more sections to complete to have 4/4 in everything

yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired on vita because of the control issues. you can't have dual analog and use the front facing buttons for any actions so it's awkward. playable, but awkward.

the thing with PW is though, the missions are very linear. so that sense of tackling things differently isn't really there. it's definitely worth playing though. especially if you just want to go through the story and not grind too much

yea, PW is only worth it for the story. it's a must just to know what's going on in GZ and TPP.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Call in a Battle Dress supply drop. The tank shots aren't 1 hit kills with that.

It would have been fine if it wasn't for that one tank that comes up over the hill towards the end and plants a shell in your exact location every fucking time.

It would have been fine if it wasn't for that one tank that comes up over the hill towards the end and plants a shell in your exact location every fucking time.

stay inside the building until the shell goes off, pop out for one shot, go back in, wait for the shell to go off again, pop out for one shot, etc

muteki

Mission 25~26 staff management/MB shenanigans:

So 450 or so of my 600 soldiers shuffled off to quarantine. I still have a few in the brig to deal with but after the shuffle I got a comment from Kaz that things were looking better so I guess I was on the right track after all the hints they were dropping.

Is it in my best interest at this point to power through some story missions to get over this (and possibly get my staff back), or can I go about my business continuing to fulton people from side ops? (Afghanistan only, I guess)

eso76

So 450 or so of my 600 soldiers shuffled off to quarantine. I still have a few in the brig to deal with but after the shuffle I got a comment from Kaz that things were looking better so I guess I was on the right track after all the hints they were dropping.

Is it in my best interest at this point to power through some story missions to get over this (and possibly get my staff back), or can I go about my business continuing to fulton people from side ops? (Afghanistan only, I guess)

I don't remember but i think everything goes back to normal after 1 or 2 missions max, during which it doesn't really make a difference.

Lender

I'd keep doing the main missions to get it over with.
You don't want your best people to die because you waited too long to end the epidemic.

Markitron

stay inside the building until the shell goes off, pop out for one shot, go back in, wait for the shell to go off again, pop out for one shot, etc

Yea that's how I managed it eventually, there was a couple of times where it would kill me 2-3 seconds after appearing, giving me no chance. Still a terrible fight IMO, shoulda been exciting but was just irritating.

I'm on mission
now, but I haven't done any of the r
epeat story missions
. Am I missing anything by skipping them?

Yes, IIRC you will need to do at least 3 story missions to sort it out. if you do any side-ops you will
just keep losing staff

Geg

Oh wow, the tanks in mission 45 are one hit kills without the battle dress? No wonder so many people hated that

muteki

I don't remember but i think everything goes back to normal after 1 or 2 missions max, during which it doesn't really make a difference.

I'd keep doing the main missions to get it over with.
You don't want your best people to die because you waited too long to end the epidemic.

Great. Story missions it is then.

Also figured out last night that it was possible to chase after a jeep on foot and pull a prisoner from the back without the driver or other passengers noticing. I was pretty surprised it worked. Thanks, Mobility+3!

Arttemis

So PF points are pretty cool. Just for having a security force built up, you get virtually compared to other players, and those virtual wins earn you PF points. The more platforms, the more security staff you have deployed, the higher your battle rating goes, the more points you get.

After a week, I had enough points for 10,000 already-processed fuel. Now that I've expanded to 4 platforms total, I guess those points will be rolling in faster.

The platforms with 50 A++ soldiers seem absolutely impossible to infiltrate, so at least I can continue earning additional points without having to steal from those who are poorly prepared.

Yea that's how I managed it eventually, there was a couple of times where it would kill me 2-3 seconds after appearing, giving me no chance. Still a terrible fight IMO, shoulda been exciting but was just irritating.

I'm on mission
now, but I haven't done any of the r
epeat story missions
. Am I missing anything by skipping them?

nope, you do not need to play them

Markitron

nope, you do not need to play them

Ah good, I'm looking forward to finishing it in my next sitting. Been a hell of a 50 hours but I'm ready for it to end now. The game has it's problems but I don't think I have ever encountered a game that's such a joy to play. Is the last mission long (incl. the inevitable cutscene) long?

Arttemis

I don't know why they throw a dozen repeated missions at you, nor do I understand why they have arbitrary difficulty settings. Every single mission should be available to replay with the options of Extreme, Subsistence, or Total Stealth.

Ah good, I'm looking forward to finishing it in my next sitting. Been a hell of a 50 hours but I'm ready for it to end now. The game has it's problems but I don't think I have ever encountered a game that's such a joy to play. Is the last mission long (incl. the inevitable cutscene) long?

Mission #
takes about
an hour
to finish. The final cutscene isn't anywhere near MGS4 levels of awful rhetoric. It's the perfect length. There are 30+ minutes of tapes to listen to after that, too.

Liamario

Banned
I think I finished the game, but I'm not sure. They're after throwning a few new missions at me, which are old ones needing to be completed a certain way.
Am I missing something?

I think I finished the game, but I'm not sure. They're after throwning a few new missions at me, which are old ones needing to be completed a certain way.
Am I missing something?

You just started Chapter 2. Those are optional missions. Missions with a yellow icon next to them are "important" and those are new missions. Do all missions, side-ops, and casettes with a yellow icon to progress through the story. If you run out of "important" things to do, you'll eventually get the next mission after doing a handful of side-ops or 1 or 2 of the repeat missions.

KevinG

When I do side-ops, sometime it shows them a checked/finished, but not greyed out like I really "finished" them. Am I missing a mechanic?

When I go back to play it thinking it's a new side-op, I quickly realize I've already done it.

muteki

When I do side-ops, sometime it shows them a checked/finished, but not greyed out like I really "finished" them. Am I missing a mechanic?

When I go back to play it thinking it's a new side-op, I quickly realize I've already done it.

Checked means you completed the mission. Highlighted vs. not highlighted is just there to show you which missions are available to be completed again for funds/resources.

They can't have all the side ops available all the time because they would overlap on the map, so they are in rotation and the highlighted ones show what is available.

Must have done the prisoner extraction 1 mission 3 times or so before I figured it out.

Steroyd

Oh wow, the tanks in mission 45 are one hit kills without the battle dress? No wonder so many people hated that

That wasn't the case for me, granted after 1 tank hit one bullet would be enough to finish me off, so I got constantly 1-2 combo'd.

Raven77

I keep feeling like I am "playing it wrong" with this game. Granted I'm only a few hours in. In the first big mission where you have to rescue Kazuhira Miller (Phantom Limbs) I was fine until I got to the point where I had to actually rescue him from that larger village. There are just so many guards, I don't see how it's possible to get through it without setting off alarms and having a massive fire fight. I must have tried that mission 7-8 times before I gave up and just killed everyone there. I can make it to Kaz and get him out of his building without alarms but inevitably there are just so many guards I can't get out without a fire fight.

I just feel like I'm either playing it wrong or doing something wrong. I mainly have issues where there are multiple guards in close proximity. I don't get how i'm supposed to take them out without alerting the others, etc. Maybe I just suck at this game. In my mission review I was graded a "C".

Lender

I keep feeling like I am "playing it wrong" with this game. Granted I'm only a few hours in. In the first big mission where you have to rescue Kazuhira Miller (Phantom Limbs) I was fine until I got to the point where I had to actually rescue him from that larger village. There are just so many guards, I don't see how it's possible to get through it without setting off alarms and having a massive fire fight. I must have tried that mission 7-8 times before I gave up and just killed everyone there. I can make it to Kaz and get him out of his building without alarms but inevitably there are just so many guards I can't get out without a fire fight.

I just feel like I'm either playing it wrong or doing something wrong. I mainly have issues where there are multiple guards in close proximity. I don't get how i'm supposed to take them out without alerting the others, etc. Maybe I just suck at this game. In my mission review I was graded a "C".

You'll get better once you start to know the mechanics behind the game and it's AI. I struggled a bit in the beginning as well, but the more you play the better it becomes.

rtcn63

Learn to crawl. There's almost always a way around (and through), letting you avoid enemies, and even then you have the tranq. Abuse reflex mode if you have to.

Youtube how its done. Mostly its about knowing when not to engage and simply slip by.

they've considerably limited fields of view too.

Markitron

If your just starting out, I'd recommend you stay quiet for as long as possible but shoot your way out if caught. Don't get stuck retrying missions to do them quietly, the whole point of the game is to do it whatever way you want.

With a few upgrades, and certain support characters, the stealth becomes a lot easier as well.

wiibomb

These
parasite
cassette tapes are ridiculous. I have no idea what he is even saying.

they make perfect sense, in a way of pseudo science, of course, the idea of the
vocal cord parasites
is far fetched in real world, but I digress, this is a game

Denzar

When does this game become fun? I've been playing for 14 hours and I keep on fucking up, running out of GMP, ammo and suppressors. I get spotted way too often. I find the way BB & D-Horse move to be quite janky, especially when scaling rocks. The game is also just way too much to take in at once from the get go and I find the entire interface incredibly confusing and clunky.

All little annoyances that detract from the core game play and suck out the fun. I want to love this game, but so far... I've been annoyed as much as I had brillant moments.

muteki

When does this game become fun? I've been playing for 14 hours and I keep on fucking up, running out of GMP, ammo and suppressors. I get spotted way too often. I find the way BB & D-Horse move to be quite janky, especially when scaling rocks. The game is also just way too much to take in at once from the get go and I find the entire interface incredibly confusing and clunky.

All little annoyances that detract from the core game play and suck out the fun. I want to love this game, but so far... I've been annoyed as much as I had brillant moments.

If you can make it as far as getting D-Dog I feel like most of the early game annoyances will go away. Either because of DD's skills, you having developed better equipment, or by then simply being better at the game. It takes a while to find your rhythm.

Blader

These
parasite
cassette tapes are ridiculous. I have no idea what he is even saying.

I love how (accidentally?) subversive Kojima was with
Code Talker. The guy is presented to you as that kind of typical blind mystic/shaman character, but as soon he opens his mouth you see he's actually a genius biologist who created these insane strains of bacteria.

Lakitu

st5fu
they make perfect sense, in a way of pseudo science, of course, the idea of the
vocal cord parasites
is far fetched in real world, but I digress, this is a game

It doesn't help that I play cassette tapes when I'm doing side-ops and it's incredibly distracting, it only makes me annoyed.

If on a pc, the best way to deal with the economy constraints is to use a trainer to give yourself essentially infinite gmp and materials, thus removing grinding from the equation. Your progression will still be gated by acquiring better personnel. so the game never becomes broken.

As for the rest, the interface is cumbersome at first, but very snappy once youve gotten used to it. Getting spotted too often means that you should use the sneaking suit and walk crouched when at 100m or closer to enemies. Generally only snipers can pick you out from further than that. If the halo comes up, crawl before it goes into full alert.

KevinG

Checked means you completed the mission. Highlighted vs. not highlighted is just there to show you which missions are available to be completed again for funds/resources.

They can't have all the side ops available all the time because they would overlap on the map, so they are in rotation and the highlighted ones show what is available.

Must have done the prisoner extraction 1 mission 3 times or so before I figured it out.

Thank you so much. I've done the Prisoner Extraction 1 several times as well, and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

rtcn63

The game does give you the idea that you should be going ham on everyone. Generally, you want to get through a level as fast as possible, avoiding enemies (except for extraction/interrogation purposes). And regarding interrogation, it's vital early on since you have no way to scout ahead. Just find some lone enemies, crouch walk slowly up to them, and grab them. Shoulder button brings up the interrogation menu. Sometimes they won't give you info, then just knock them out and try again.

If you don't feel comfortable stepping up to a soldier, you can tranq him, kick him, and as he's waking up, grab him from behind.

wiibomb

It doesn't help that I play cassette tapes when I'm doing side-ops and it's incredibly distracting, it only makes me annoyed.

yeah, I always play them on the ACC because I know I'll not pay them attention on the field..

take your time to hear them with attention, they made them with great detail about everything involved with this part of the game..

I also use the companion app on my smartphone and listen to them while I'm away from playing (at work)

Denzar

If you can make it as far as getting D-Dog I feel like most of the early game annoyances will go away. Either because of DD's skills, you having developed better equipment, or by then simply being better at the game. It takes a while to find your rhythm.

I extracted him, but he's still a pup... For a while now...

If on a pc, the best way to deal with the economy constraints is to use a trainer to give yourself essentially infinite gmp and materials, thus removing grinding from the equation. Your progression will still be gated by acquiring better personnel. so the game never becomes broken.

As for the rest, the interface is cumbersome at first, but very snappy once youve gotten used to it. Getting spotted too often means that you should use the sneaking suit and walk crouched when at 100m or closer to enemies. Generally only snipers can pick you out from further than that. If the halo comes up, crawl before it goes into full alert.
I'm on PC yes.

And at first, maybe, but I'm 14 hours in and I'm still messing about.

I don't usually get spotted from a distance, I get spotted because I fumble with the controls. Context sensitive buttons, sliding down a slope, not being able to crawl up a slope that does look like you can crawl up it, holding up somebody while not being on level ground, not being able to shoot past an edge, etc...

I'll get going again in a minute, but this will be the final chance I'll give this game.

Ohyeah, thanks guys!

The game does give you the idea that you should be going ham on everyone. Generally, you want to get through a level as fast as possible, avoiding enemies (except for extraction/interrogation purposes). And regarding interrogation, it's vital early on since you have no way to scout ahead. Just find some lone enemies, crouch walk slowly up to them, and grab them. Shoulder button brings up the interrogation menu. Sometimes they won't give you info, then just knock them out and try again.

If you don't feel comfortable stepping up to a soldier, you can tranq him, kick him, and as he's waking up, grab him from behind.

If you've tranqued, just point a pistol at him after a kick and you can proceed to interrogate and fulton. They wont even try to get up.

Took me a while to realize that getting them to surrender is often a quicker way to extract info and fulton, especially since you dont need to hold/stun them.

If the option doesnt come up after they put their hands up, that means they'll try something in a bit. Just proceed to wrassle as usual in those cases.

Xanathus

Is there a list of daily login rewards available online? It used to show up when you login to the game but they've stopped displaying it. I needs those MB Coins for MGO (next year....)

Top Bottom