• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

About Mission 30:

I thought it was all about sneaking when there was a tank right at the entrance of the castle. Jumped in, drove through, went up the stairs, met Skull Face..

BLRAHHHHHHHHGHGHGHGHGGGG!

FUCK YOU MISSION 45. It literally took me the better part of a week to do that. I've been playing for a few hours, failing and trying the next day. Maybe I missed something but I couldn't quit the mission or leave or do anything else in the game AT ALL until I finished it.

I finally did it and I feel like I can't play this game again for a week.

Also, I don't know what happened during that week but now my security squad is down to level 9 from 25 so you know I got reckt hard.

Aw man, that mission was terrible.
My rockets barely did anything
. That mission really burnt me out on the game. I think my strategy after
taking care of the first wave was memorizing where the tanks stop and placing mines and c4 where they would stop, and then mount the motor and pray I didn't get sniped by a tank from across the map.

brau

So, about this game:

Snake doesn't speak, Quiet can't speak, Eli doesn't want to speak, Mantis the same, Volgin doesn't even bother to talk, Miller and Ocelot won't shut up a moment. Why :l

Did you rike it?

Honestly...
i thought the game would have more interesting relationships and developments within. I always thought Kaz was just a time bomb that could go off at any min.. bringing good tension to the whole premise. With Ocellit being more of a mediator... whomever you side more often, repercussions would ensue... like the whole "you won't bring Quiet on to Motherbase".
Shame it didn't go anywhere.

Screaming Meat
Jintor
KarmaCow
eso76

Thanks for all the detailed replies! A shame about the camo percentage guage, one of my favorite parts os snake eater was combining the different face paints and camos to see exactly how hidden i was.

Spinluck

Mission 45 is one of the worst things about this game.

Absolute trash, absolutely zero fun at all. Such a shame since it leads with one of the most badass cutscenes in the series.

KHlover

Banned
I got 3 female S+ rank soldiers after a mission. feels good man. gonna totally use the Combat one for missions.

Haha I'm not that far in the game yet. Only at mission 11, so I'll be stuck with A-Rank and the occasional A+ rank guys for now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I keep hearing 45 was trash. man, not looking forward to it.

It's really not that bad once you get a technique down

I briefly appear to spot the enemy and then hide round the back and bombarded them with fire support lol

I'm coming up on
mission 20
and was told I'd be getting access to the security team at some point soon. Is there anything special I need to do or will I be able to start putting soldiers in it automatically whenever it becomes available?

been waiting forever to get the stun equipment for D-Dog and wanna make sure I get it as soon as possible

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
what are you doing? S ranking every mission so far? I didn't play careful early on at all. was just trying to get through to unlock all the stuff.

Hold up/interrogate each soldier (you can tranq them and then kick them to wake them up which is easier). That automatically gives you 15 Heroism. Clearing small outposts gives you 30 and large towns/areas 300. It becomes insanely easy to do with Quiet and a silenced tranq sniper rifle.

That shit builds fast.

LiK

Hold up/interrogate each soldier (you can tranq them and then kick them to wake them up which is easier). That automatically gives you 15 Heroism. Clearing small outposts gives you 30 and large towns 300.

That shit builds fast.

ah ok, I didn't really bother early in the game. I finally started playing more carefully after I got the suppressors on my sniper rifle.

KHlover

Banned
what are you doing? S ranking every mission so far? I didn't play careful early on at all. was just trying to get through to unlock all the stuff.

Playing Pokemans. No lethal weapons on me, everything and everyone that's not bolted to the ground gets fultoned. Lots and lots of Side Ops. Freeing outposts. Combat Deployments (already finished 55% of the unique combat deployments lol). I think I'm at 23% completion right now with 60 hours real play time, although about 10h or so are unintentional idling when I forgot to close my laptop before going to work lol.

wiibomb

I got 3 female S+ rank soldiers after a mission. feels good man. gonna totally use the Combat one for missions.

now that you mention it...

after chapter 1, I got the ability to play as another character from my combat unit, the best one has a S+ combat rank and A++ in medical rank, but what does each setion do for the character? do they affect?

KarmaCow

after chapter 1, I got the ability to play as another character from my combat unit, the best one has a S+ combat rank and A++ in medical rank, but what does each setion do for the character? do they affect?

AFAIK, only the combat rank matters when you play as them in the field but even then I'm not sure about the specifics. I assume things like better aim, running speed, health and what not.

Though I believe for FOB invasions the non-Combat stats actually makes a difference. I think a Base Development S rank will auto mark automated systems in an enemy base.

I did it last night. It's really fun but really hard at the same time. I was cursing constantly but also enjoyed it a lot. Don't be afraid to use supply drops to get the gear you need.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I believe they do in FOB (not sure where I heard that), so maybe they do normally too?

So, S ranked all missions, including Extreme and Subsistence ones. I only need to play mission 46 and unlock mission 45.

Not sure if I want to bother on getting all achievements for this, because:

-doing all bonus objectives on all missions require zero skill, it's only time wasting
-I got the blueprint bug, so I can't get the relative achievement
-collecting all animals? Umh...nope.
-raise all units up to 50? Why? What is the point?

TBH I will enjoy doing those tasks.
Many of the bonus objectives sound fun and will offer a different perspective on the missions Usually because you need to go somewhere else or or get to see some scripted thing you missed the first time etc.

I want to hunt all the animals and fill up my zoo. There are so many in the game yet I usually allways see the same few :p

Besides security I have all of them over 50 already anyway because I want to be able to have access to all weapons, items etc. Better stats for the resources or support weapons don't hurt either

Blueprint bug should be fixed soon I guess.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So, about this game:

Snake doesn't speak, Quiet can't speak, Eli doesn't want to speak, Mantis the same, Volgin doesn't even bother to talk, Miller and Ocelot won't shut up a moment. Why :l

The best part is that there is no option to mute Miller while leaving the game sound on.

You will listen to him and you will like it.

Boss. Boss. Boss. Boss. Boss. Boss.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Honestly for about the first 8 hours I was convinced that MGSV was a legitimately bad game, and I really despised it.

Thankfully, after the following 80 additional hours and having learned to play in a way thats more fun, I think its magnificent. Its gotten to the point where I'm always thinking of the game, even when I'm not playing it. Always thinking of different strategies and wishing I could start weapons researching from my phone so when I'm home I can try new things out.

What a stellar game. 54% done, middle of chapter 2, and nearly 90 hours in.

Steroyd

Word of advice,mission 45 is a continuation of the
Secure Quiet
side ops, so equip a one shot tank killing RPG, before doing that, because you get given the shittiest RPG before it begins, which makes a huge difference between dying frustratingly and breezing through.

MisterMac

Did anyone else just hit "ASAP" for every single mission? I never tried to game the system with night/day. Hitting ASAP let me get some diversity in my day/night cycle.

Griss

the one thing is that if you never ever infiltrate or even support other FOBs, you're PF Rank won't really change it seems...

and the 'random 10 targets' for Infiltration or whatever seem sort of based on your PF Rank... if you're D rank, you're probably getting only 1-2 E rank players to choose from, and I think as time progresses (MGS V is less new) and more 'active' players are D or even C rank, they'll get E rank targets to choose from less and less

I think at release because basically everyone was new, so everyone was a target... but as active players level up, inactive E rank players should (...I think) be added to 'random target pools' less often... plus the hype of FOBs will probably wear down so it should increasingly make FOBs safer and safer as the game gets a older and active players outrank inactive-FOB players (...I think :p just my general impression based on how my 'targets' have changed as I've begun to level up). You can still find very low level E rank targets but they seem to appear less and less now and I think it's because the matchmaking is trying to give active players more active C-D rank targets.

I turned off Reflex, Markers, Item HUD, etc all around 5 hours in, and I'm at about 140 hours now ;p I find it more fun.... I tried turning some back on and it felt a bit cheesy haha I mean that in jest, of course... I mean they were included for a reason but I do find the game a lot more tense, challenging, and fun without always knowing where enemies are, having a sort of 'get out of free card,' etc... I find the game not very tense around Mission 7 or so and always knowing where enemies were, and I found they were distracting, too -- I was basically just 'seeing' red triangles, instead of actually looking for the actual graphical movements of soldiers, heads or arms popping out, distant figures behind windows, etc.

nothing wrong with leaving them on of course (I mean, it's how the game was designed and intended, right) but I think I personally think it's more fun to turn everything in the HUD off, and I've basically went through most of the game (and S ranked a lot of Missions above 30) without any of the HUD, so they're definitely not required... (like, some games have missions where they're obviously totally designed and reliant on staring at a mini-map or some other HUD part; MGS V isn't like that, very doable and not unwieldy without a HUD).

Yeah, I didn't have D-Dog grow up until around mission 44 (I know, that pup took forever) so I've been playing with him, and frankly I feel like he makes the game less fun. The entire 'scouting' part of the game is removed. Reflex mode means that if you're about to get caught, you just manouver yourself to where you'll have the best reflex mode shot and fire away. All these things make infiltration too easy.

When I hit 100% I'll certainly try restricting myself and seeing how things go about.

The enemy sniper...
The Soviet soldier...

I can't count how many times I've heard that same spiel now. Always when I see the intel option light up when pointing at something nondescript in the distance, always thinking it might be something new. Always ends up the very same way.

The Soviet soldier...

Morbid cynicism, but that's humanity for you.

LiK

Did anyone else just hit "ASAP" for every single mission? I never tried to game the system with night/day. Hitting ASAP let me get some diversity in my day/night cycle.

I went night in main missions for all stealth. I just have an easier time. I go asap for side ops tho.

BadHand

my equipment is fine, I've S-ranked most of the game just fine.

To S rank the rest of the game you just need a tranq pistol.

To S rank mission 45 you need
maxed Anti Tank mines and (I used) a maxed Grom launcher, with a fresh ammo drop always on its way.

Max battle armor goes a long way too, but I didn't need it.

Top Bottom