• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Roni

Gold Member
I love how (accidentally?) subversive Kojima was with
Code Talker. The guy is presented to you as that kind of typical blind mystic/shaman character, but as soon he opens his mouth you see he's actually a genius biologist who created these insane strains of bacteria.

He discovered/got them from The End's carcass.

When I interogate someone and he tells me there is a high skilled soldier around,then my map is updated however I dont see any special labels for that high skilled soldier.How to find him?

Yellow dot in the upper left corner of that soldier's icon in the iDroid.

J.EM1

I think it's difficult not to as long as one finishes, I believe that one gets a good amount of bonuspoints.

Nice. That one's tough. Took me a little while to S rank. Felt good.

Really fun mission, the game really shines on some of those missions
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. I knew going in that I couldn't take it on with my usual route from previous playthroughs. Tried something new and it worked.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Mission 20 spoilers
Did anyone else beat the Man on Fire via the weather? I was trying to use the water pistol to down him and was getting nowhere, when eventually it started to rain, Ocelot thanked mother nature and I hopped on the chopper. Was the game showing me mercy for having and committing to such a stupid plan?

I didn't do it that way, but that's normal. If you
survive for 10 minutes, it starts to rain.

So I beat the mission near the end where
you and Quiet fight off the tanks and armored vehicles. That's not the last mission is it? I have no idea. The only main mission I don't have is 46. Is that the last mission?

46 is the last story mission (i.e. not a repeat at harder difficulty). Just do some side ops until it unlocks for you.

Soooooo, chapter 2 is basically a
rerun from chapter 1 mission wise? But just extreme harder versions? Feels lame....

There are some original missions, and the repeats are all optional. You can just do side ops you haven't done yet, go back to mother base occasionally, to trigger the story scenes, important side ops (the yellow ones) and the actual new story missions.

Lender

This is actually what I did too. Worked great.

I did it like this:
Lured him torwards the little pool until he was standing at the edge, sprinted torwards a jeep that was standing there and just ran him over so he fell into the water.

Just S-ranked C2W Subsistence on my first try. Not bad.

Same here, S ranked without being noticed. Cool feeling!

I love how (accidentally?) subversive Kojima was with
Code Talker. The guy is presented to you as that kind of typical blind mystic/shaman character, but as soon he opens his mouth you see he's actually a genius biologist who created these insane strains of bacteria.

Yep. I haven't finished Chapter 2 yet but he seems to be part of the scientist forced to serve the enemy archetype, despite Huey being in the game as well (although a game having two scientists is not unheard of either, like Madnar and Kio Marv in the same game, or Sokolov and Granin).

Chariot

Late Spoiler: Btw. Skullface
is an scientist too. And an operative. And officier. And so much of a jobber that fucking Code Talker defeated him.

GravyButt

So im only on mission 30 but what happens after you beat the main story? Is it game over? Restart from the beginning? Or is everything still the same? Just would feel like such a waste losing all my fultoned guys and weapons I made!

Chariot

So im only on mission 30 but what happens after you beat the main story? Is it game over? Restart from the beginning? Or is everything still the same? Just would feel like such a waste losing all my fultoned guys and weapons I made!
Chapter 2
happens. also new game+ or finizh finish. You always can keep pkaying.

I'm assuming that there is no non lethal way of taking down a chopper huh?
Not that I know of.

Durden77

MGSV Mytbusters Episode 3

p5uGffW.gif

These are some cool vids. Didn't even consider traveling with Fulton that's awesome.

DrSlek

Mission 20 spoilers
Did anyone else beat the Man on Fire via the weather? I was trying to use the water pistol to down him and was getting nowhere, when eventually it started to rain, Ocelot thanked mother nature and I hopped on the chopper. Was the game showing me mercy for having and committing to such a stupid plan?

Nah I
shot a rocket at his feet when he was next to the pool
. Easy win.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mission 20 spoilers

You can straight up just blow up the water towers near him lol

brau

These are some cool vids. Didn't even consider traveling with Fulton that's awesome.

the whole enemies will drown in shallow water blew my mind. hahaha

and i thought the electric poles would electrocute, just didn't think it would have such a big AoD.

ezekial45

Banned
Nah I
shot a rocket at his feet when he was next to the pool
. Easy win.

As far as I know, here's how you can beat him.

- Water Gun takes 50 shots to stun him, then he can be fultoned (use the wormhole so you won't have to deal with Mantis).
- Destroying the water towers when he's close to them will stun him.
- Ramming him with the jeep and driving it off the cliff.
- Knocking him into the water pit near the gas tank.
- And of course, you can survive long enough till the rain appears.

KORNdoggy

Just finished the true ending....the amount of rage running through my veins is at a all time high. Talk about pointless....I'm so glad this game is over...

As far as I know, here's how you can beat him.

- Water Gun takes 50 shots to stun him, then he can be fultoned (use the wormhole so you won't have to deal with Mantis).
- Destroying the water towers when he's close to them will stun him.
- Ramming him with the jeep and driving it off the cliff.
- Knocking him into the water pit near the gas tank.
- And of course, you can survive long enough till the rain appears.
I mentioned this before but you can also
pull him into the water with the hand of jehuty

Caode

It's done GAF. 215 hours later. That would be 100% were it not for that god damn blueprint glitch (fix it Konami). I can't remember the last game that got me obsessively hooked like MGSV managed to. Well done, Kojima Productions.

3Rb6pjH.jpg

GravyButt

In the iDroid under buddy support --> change equipment.

In one mission I had Quiet change her non-lethal rifle to the Brennan to take out a helo. :)
Damn, never even noticed that! I usually just grenade shot when a chopper is around ( even works with her tranq rifle)

eso76

Listen to the tapes. He himself says that he don't want them, lol

Listened to lots of tapes actually, it appears I didn't catch that part.

And...uh... whatever Hideo ;)

In other news, I just completed the game, so I'm off to the other thread !

I didn't have to beat mission 45, in fact it hasn't even appeared yet.

Lender

Can someone edit that picture on top of this page? I feel bad for the people still playing the game and not getting to that part yet.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Can someone edit that picture on top of this page? I feel bad for the people still playing the game and not getting to that part yet.

Yeah it fucking sucks. People are just really inconsiderate when they think most have finished the game. I am only on Mission 19.

If MGSV show anything interesting, it's the vast differences in what people seem to perceive as pointless busy work. Sneaking into villages I've snuck into before to grab some mook or item, or blow something up multiple times isn't fun to me after a while. Waiting for the helicopter, even with the pretty flowers for picking, getting into the helicopter and waiting for it to take off, isn't fun.

Even if the core gameplay is solid, it doesn't matter if the tasks I'm doing in that world aren't fulfilling.

OK this makes the water pistol actually have a use against enemies but only if they're facing you and if you're close enough lol.

Good to know!
The water pistol is basically a glorified magazine with the capability of taking out equipment at the cost of losing your handgun slot. I think you have to upgrade it to make it better at manipulating the guards than the magazine (I haven't tried the first upgrade yet, I think I'm gonna do that the next time I play).

brau

If MGSV show anything interesting, it's the vast differences in what people seem to perceive as pointless busy work. Sneaking into villages I've snuck into before to grab some mook or item, or blow something up multiple times isn't fun to me after a while . Waiting for the helicopter, even with the pretty flowers for picking, isn't fun.

Even if the core gameplay is solid, it doesn't matter if the tasks I'm doing in that world aren't fulfilling.

Just a few of the cracks that start to show after you play this game for a while.

When you have to go make the game interact with you, instead of the other way around. The game can get pretty stale real fast.

jett

D-Member
Finally got all side ops done. Probably for the best that I left the bulk of it for now, lots of S soldiers were fultoned.

They were all pretty terrible and totally brainless. How sad.

If MGSV show anything interesting, it's the vast differences in what people seem to perceive as pointless busy work. Sneaking into villages I've snuck into before to grab some mook or item, or blow something up multiple times isn't fun to me after a while. Waiting for the helicopter, even with the pretty flowers for picking, getting into the helicopter and waiting for it to take off, isn't fun.

I've actually appreciated the repetition on offer in the open world and its outposts, bases and side ops, because it gives you plenty of opportunity to experiment. Experiment with equipment, with tactics, with approaches, and experimenting to see AI reactions and how you can use those to your advantage. Then when you select the next story mission, which may throw in some twists and surprises you're better prepared because you've practiced and you might even know the mission area well.

And as you learn each area, your focus begins to narrow. The more you know each location, the more entrances and exits you know, the quicker they are to recon, and to infiltrate, so you put more of your energy directly into the objectives and less into figuring out the basics.

Setsuna

Accidentally called a C rank bombardment on 2 double S ranked soldiers and had to rush in and fulton them before the bombardment happened

Revven

Finally got all side ops done. Probably for the best that I left the bulk of it for now, lots of S soldiers were fultoned.

They were all pretty terrible and totally brainless. How sad.

The worst side-ops, IMO, are the Puppet Soldiers and Tanks/Armored Vehicle Units. The former are so braindead easy and boring to do (and give you easy high stat soldiers) and the latter are just annoying to do if they have a Gunship in it -- otherwise, you have to slowly sneak and fulton the vehicles (unless you use D-Walker with the F.Ballista but even that's dicey because of the aforementioned gunships...) if there are good soldiers around you want.

And they really did not need to have both of those types of side-ops when the strat for both is literally the same just that the tanks are more deadly if you get caught and/or are ill-prepared. Especially not 14 of each. Good god.

Top Bottom