• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Spinluck

To S rank the rest of the game you just need a tranq pistol.

To S rank mission 45 you need
maxed Anti Tank mines and (I used) a maxed Grom launcher, with a fresh ammo drop always on its way.

Max battle armor goes a long way too, but I didn't need it.

I was using GZ stealth suit lol

I just completed anyway and got the S. Mines really helped, I had already completed it once but used some of my time memorizing some of the routes and it payed off.

MisterMac

Me. and I never use the phantom cigar. I just took the missions how it comes.

Same here! Never used the Phantom Cigar once.

I think my biggest complaint in the game is that the Extreme/Total Stealth/Subsistence modifier should have been available on every single mission.

BadHand

I was using GZ stealth suit lol

I just completed anyway and got the S. Mines really helped, I had already completed it once but used some of my time memorizing some of the routes and it payed off.

Good job, now for the optional objectives:
Extract 7 tanks and 7 armored cars & Quiet takes no damage

Am I the only one to have beaten mission 45 on the first try with my rocket launcher alone? I don't get why the entire internet is having so much trouble with it. I even got the optional objective demanding that
Quiet doesn't take any damage.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this up last night, including Missions 45 and 46.

Overall all, I really enjoyed it. Finally playtime was something over 80 hours (probably around 85, I forgot to check the final), I did 81 side ops I think.

It definitely has a lot of flaws too though that keep it from being my GOTY (it's at least behind Bloodborne and Witcher 3 for me). Too many filler missions, lacking story, empty and largely pointless open world, etc. hold it back. But still a great game as the core gameplay is so damn good.

Mission 20 spoilers
Did anyone else beat the Man on Fire via the weather? I was trying to use the water pistol to down him and was getting nowhere, when eventually it started to rain, Ocelot thanked mother nature and I hopped on the chopper. Was the game showing me mercy for having and committing to such a stupid plan?

Mission 20 spoilers
Did anyone else beat the Man on Fire via the weather? I was trying to use the water pistol to down him and was getting nowhere, when eventually it started to rain, Ocelot thanked mother nature and I hopped on the chopper. Was the game showing me mercy for having and committing to such a stupid plan?

I think its just this game's version of The End battle from 3

-Kees-

So I beat the mission near the end where
you and Quiet fight off the tanks and armored vehicles. That's not the last mission is it? I have no idea. The only main mission I don't have is 46. Is that the last mission?

Spinluck

Am I the only one to have beaten mission 45 on the first try with my rocket launcher alone? I don't get why the entire internet is having so much trouble with it. I even got the optional objective demanding that
Quiet doesn't take any damage.

im glad that the tanks did not snipe you from beyond a hill and kill you with a single hit

quiet not getting damage is easy since she is fucking useless in that mission. i was in the front lines most of the mission. i would've bodied them wiith my boy d-walker.

hell, even riding on d-horse would've made that mission more of a cakewalk.

SuperOrez

I accidentally spoiled a big part of the game. Kinda sad now but oh well. I'm only up to mission 6ish so even though it was kinda big it won't stop me from enjoying this game. I was hoping to beat it before multiplayer was added but that wont be the case.

LiK

I accidentally spoiled a big part of the game. Kinda sad now but oh well. I'm only up to mission 6ish so even though it was kinda big it won't stop me from enjoying this game. I was hoping to beat it before multiplayer was added but that wont be the case.

Some ass spoiled something major for me last week. No worries, plenty of great moments and quotes are still out there.

im glad that the tanks did not snipe you from beyond a hill and kill you with a single hit

quiet not getting damage is easy since she is fucking useless in that mission. i was in the front lines most of the mission. i would've bodied them wiith my boy d-walker.

hell, even riding on d-horse would've made that mission more of a cakewalk.

The Tanks aren't a single hit kill in Battle Dress.

Blader

So, about this game:

Snake doesn't speak, Quiet can't speak, Eli doesn't want to speak, Mantis the same, Volgin doesn't even bother to talk, Miller and Ocelot won't shut up a moment. Why :l

welp, why did I click that. ;_;
Had no idea Volgin was in the game
. Oh well.

Mission 20 spoilers

I just
lured him up to the reservoir, waited until his back was turned to me and he was facing the water, then shot him in the back with the shotgun to knock him in the water.
And that was that.

Panzon

Just received the Butterfly codename. Is it true that I need to
put it on the emblem in order to keep Quiet?

No pun intended

Lender

Soooooo, chapter 2 is basically a
rerun from chapter 1 mission wise? But just extreme harder versions? Feels lame....

Ughhh I finally beat Mission

I raged after my first 3 attempts, so on my 4th attempt I decided to just run over to the
airfield and fulton the truck and exfiltrate via D-Horse. Easy as hell, no bullshit from the Skulls blowing up the truck whenever I try to escape with it.

AngryMoth

Accidentally stumbled on mission 11 a little early. Few things I'd like to know; is it possible to cqc
quiet
if you sneak up and what happens if you beat her non-lethally? I spent an hour taking pot shots with my tranq pistol thinking
I wouldn't get her as a buddy if I used lethal weapons
. In the end I got frustrated and pulled out a sniper rifle. I feel like there a probably a lot of interesting ways to handle that fit though that I didn't find

rtcn63

Accidentally stumbled on mission 11 a little early. Few things I'd like to know; is it possible to cqc
quiet
if you sneak up and what happens if you beat her non-lethally? I spent an hour taking pot shots with my tranq pistol thinking
. In the end I got frustrated and pulled out a sniper rifle. I feel like there a probably a lot of interesting ways to handle that fit though that I didn't find

I tried CQC/punching her a few times, but it just wouldn't register. Although this was awhile back, and they may have patched it.

Beating her non-lethally just checks off one of the mission tasks. And is much easier once you get the tranq sniper rifle.

Qwell

For the poeple that have had issues with S rank on some missions, have you guy looked at the youtube guides? I know you might think its cheap but instead of getting all upset just check out some guides. There are some really good ones out there, I haven't done mission 45 yet but I should be doing that tonight as I'm pretty far in the game. It probably helps that I have spent a lot of time developing equipment so I have most all the best stuff at this point.

Blader

quiet

You can
beat her with lethal weapons. They won't kill her and you'll still get her as a buddy. I think there's an optional objective you check off if you take her down with tranqs though.

Spinluck

For the poeple that have had issues with S rank on some missions, have you guy looked at the youtube guides? I know you might think its cheap but instead of getting all upset just check out some guides. There are some really good ones out there, I haven't done mission 45 yet but I should be doing that tonight as I'm pretty far in the game. It probably helps that I have spent a lot of time developing equipment so I have most all the best stuff at this point.

the first time I did it, I was doing a side mission and it just turned into a main op without notice. I did not have anything ready to take on what was coming. had to develop a ton of shit since I pretty much do not use most of that stuff to begin with.

Durden77

I've been looking for a haoma plant in the desert on I think mission 3 (A Hero's Way) for like 15 minutes now. The fuck, do the just not spawn sometimes? Oh and do you have to get all of the attainable skills in a mission for 100%?

Also, what does extracting (later game spoiler)
skull zombie guys get you? Anything? I can figure out how to get parasites. I've extracted a few and nothing

Haunted

Soooooo, chapter 2 is basically a
rerun from chapter 1 mission wise? But just extreme harder versions? Feels lame....
Act 2 has
6.5 new story missions + a handful of important side ops. It's just that strange design decision to count the 12 repeats of previous story missions as new numbered main story missions which confuses people.

The fun part is that they didn't even have to pad this to inflate the total mission count to 50 if they had just counted the important side ops as main missions (which they should've done in the first place).

I've been looking for a haoma plant in the desert on I think mission 3 (A Hero's Way) for like 15 minutes now. The fuck, do the just not spawn sometimes? Oh and do you have to get all of the attainable skills in a mission for 100%?

Also, what does extracting (later game spoiler)
skull zombie guys get you? Anything? I can figure out how to get parasites. I've extracted a few and nothing
You don't get anything from extracting puppets, just "proper" members of the skull units.

muteki

Mission 20 spoilers

What I did:

Get him to notice me, call chopper to lower LZ, lure him to upper water tower, rocket launcher it to dump water on him, and book it to the chopper. Took a couple tries as he would hit the chopper with fireballs as I was leaving. Doubt this was the "intended" method.

I also saw videos of people ramming him off the cliff into the river using the jeep. No rush in that case to get to the chopper.

Groof

What I did:

Get him to notice me, call chopper to lower LZ, lure him to upper water tower, rocket launcher it to dump water on him, and book it to the chopper. Took a couple tries as he would hit the chopper with fireballs as I was leaving. Doubt this was the "intended" method.

I also saw videos of people ramming him off the cliff into the river using the jeep. No rush in that case to get to the chopper.

This is actually what I did too. Worked great.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGSV Mytbusters Episode 3

p5uGffW.gif

bomma_man

I think I've done too many side ops lol. The only two I have available are in areas I haven't been to in story missions
across the broken bridge out east.
I think I have a problem.

What I did:

What I did:

Pulled out a shotgun and shot him into the square pool of water. I think the first two shots would stun him, and the third would send him reeling. When he landed in the water, he was defeated instantly.

SomTervo

Fairly big structure spoilers ahead:

Can I just say that I never got the
rain scene
. 90 hours in, completed the story,
Quiet gone forever.

Had no idea that was a thing that people were talking about. What is the trigger for it?!

SomTervo

Can you interupt the passage of time when using the Phantom Cigar? What does upgrading it do? Lengthen the time passed when using it?

Yeah man - tap left on the D-pad, like to 'Unequip' it. (Very unintuitive, should have been any button press.)

I think upgrading it increases the max time you can pass. You can only pass 12-24 hours at first level I think - I've upgraded it once and I think I can skip 2 days in one go.

dealer-

Fairly big structure spoilers ahead:

Can I just say that I never got the
rain scene
. 90 hours in, completed the story,
Quiet gone forever.

Had no idea that was a thing that people were talking about. What is the trigger for it?!

Same, or the
Paz
storyline. I feel cheated.

Hit left while he's smoking to stop the passage of time. I think upgrading it offers more uses, and also lengthens the amount of time you can get from one use.

Yeah man - tap left on the D-pad, like to 'Unequip' it. (Very unintuitive, should have been any button press.)

I think upgrading it increases the max time you can pass. You can only pass 12-24 hours at first level I think - I've upgraded it once and I think I can skip 2 days in one go.

lol 95 hours in and I'm just finding this out. Was mashing everything on my DS4 :D thanks

Top Bottom