• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If I'm not planning on playing online are FOBs useless? Or should I still create some?

You get a free one and you pretty much are FORCED to make it.

It's worth expanding and syncing to Konami's servers if you want more employee space. As far as that? Not really worth the hassle.

Setsuna

Even then she can easily keep entire bases focused on her while you sneak in from the back, fulton whatever it is that you came to fulton and leave without anyone noticing.

Or you can just give her an anti-materiel rifle at which point she becomes a practically unstoppable killing machine.

Im at the point where they will cover the area with mortars forcing her to be extracted

Possibly spoilers for missions after 35ish
do any of these new stealth or extreme replay missions have new cutscenes in them? I skipped a few of the longer ones since they all seemed exactly the same.

Also I don't have a new main mission anymore, it just stopped at like 42 or 43 or something. I think the code talker one was the last one I did.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Coketruck

I haven't played a stealth game since the original MGS, and sneaking into these compounds is freaking stressful. Every time I'm spotted and a dozen guys come at me, I'm hesitant to start shooting everyone because I have this urge to be stealthy and tranq/choke out everyone instead of going for kills. I don't even care about the mission ranks, either. Guess I'll have to get over that feeling quick.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I have never activated FOB once and with hitboxes like these it really seems like a good decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAlpoFuI2g

HzpMbP1.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Question about mission 31.

did the man on fire really just commit suicide?!
or am I totally reading into that incorrectly??

You're reading into it incorrectly.

Spoilers

Spoilers

Mantis feeds off the revenge felt by other characters. He is a sort of symbiotic or parasitic organism. Man on Fire, whose identity you can surely guess, wanted revenge on Big Boss. However, there was someone near their location whose lust for revenge outweighed even both Man on Fire and Skullface. That someone is also a person whose identity you can surely guess. So Mantis runs Volgin over and activates the Metal Gear, completely out of Skull Face's control.

Spoilers

Spoilers

otapnam

I just played through
the mission where u grab emmerich. Took it slow and stealthy - so far it was the most metal gearish experience ive had. The base was classic, went thru at night. Alot of the camera angles that just happened naturally were ridiculous. Such a great level.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ha, now that I'm replaying MGS3 I noticed that one of the first motherbase cutscenes has Ocelot
scolding a recruit for using an engraved pistol, saying it gives him no tactical advantage whatsoever. It's the same speech Snake gave him back in Snake Eater.
Nice Touch.
Oh shit :D

Anyone know where the best place to farm fire resource is? I need about 15k of the stuff.

Do mission 12 and on one of the scaffoldings you'll find fire resources. Extract that, grab the intel in order to claim the resources, then go to the options menu and repeat the mission as much as you need. However you will need the
wormhole fulton device
which you get pretty late game.

Then do some random shit or sit in your chopper until it processes.

I've never noticed this before...and I'm really far into the game :lol

Under staff management there is a "staff Captured". How do I free these people?

edit: OOOOOH. These are people that I have captured.

There wouldn't be many missions left. I'm about to start 18 tonight and I think there have been two or three significant feeling missions:
the one where you empty the water in that oil refinery and all the bodies are lying in the lake, getting Quiet, and the side op where you rescue Emmerich.

Except some of the filler missions are freaking amazing

1-4

6-7

10-13

18,20-23, 28-31 are all brilliant missions to me even if they all don't have major story stuff

Timeaisis

There wouldn't be many missions left. I'm about to start 18 tonight and I think there have been two or three significant feeling missions:
the one where you empty the water in that oil refinery and all the bodies are lying in the lake, getting Quiet, and the side op where you rescue Emmerich.

Well you're in luck because 18 and 20 are really good.

EDIT: Double post...sorry.

muteki

Ran through 26~29 last night. 28 and 29 were pretty great.

Metal Gear sniper fights are always fun, really enjoyed that one. Though for some reason Quiet couldn't keep up and got too injured early on and had to leave. DDog was better for the mansion bit anyway.

29 was a pain in the ass until I started using D-Walker. My RPGs and Killer Bee did barely any damage to them.

It is great to finally start seeing the story go places but even when it does the delivery seems so....flat? I'm not sure what to think yet. Might just be Boss's lack of lines but I feel like the culmination of everything happening in the past ~15 missions or so should illicit more of a reaction than what we got.

GravyButt

I can't get mission 35 to trigger what gives.

i listened to all the tapes and did all the side ops. Also got some cut scenes at mother base like quiet jumping into the vat and getting burnt and eli getting beat up by ocelot. As well as quiet dancing in the rain and code talker speaking of parasites. Do I seriously need to keep boarding the acc leaving mother base and returning to trigger cutscenes? I swear I see a yellow dot on the R&D platform by the metal gear but no way to get into. The very top door thats guarded is locked

Minamu

Is there any way to get more stuff to develop for my FOBs? I tried getting my unit to level 50, but I still only have 5 items to make, all of which I've already created. Although, my FOB itself is at the bare minimum size wise and it has poor guys patrolling it if any of that stuff matters.

muteki

This is probably the main pet peeve of mine. I think they were so lenient with the distance because of the chain CQC you can pull on the npcs. I do it all the time on the soldiers that greet you on motherbase.

There is definitely a lot more leniency here than in past games. Getting lined up just right for a choke in MGS1 was a fine art.

I can't get mission 35 to trigger what gives.

i listened to all the tapes and did all the side ops. Also got some cut scenes at mother base like quiet jumping into the vat and getting burnt and eli getting beat up by ocelot. Do I seriously need to keep boarding the acc leaving mother base and returning to trigger cutscenes? I swear I see a yellow dot on the R&D platform by the metal gear but no way to get into. The very top door thats guarded is locked

Have you met Emmerich in his lab yet? follow the stairs down below the deck by the helipad on r&d . Not sure if that is the answer though.

ezekial45

Banned
so I never got the chance to use the battle gear, can I still use it after emmerich is gone?

Yes, but...
it's only usable during dispatch missions. You never actually control the Battle Gear. Apparently, it was removed from the final game.

Top Bottom