• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Erheller

Very great. Will farm a couple of B-Rank soldiers this way then, S-Rank dont show up for me yet, seems like my heroism is still to low.

Cant wait to finally get those Level 2 Fultons for vehicles and containers.

Oh, I forgot to mention that you need the final Fulton upgrade
the Wormhole Fulton
in order to extract the containers and soldiers from the beginning of Mission 12, since it's underground. Unfortunately it's only useful late-game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh, I forgot to mention that you need the final Fulton upgrade
the Wormhole Fulton
in order to extract the containers and soldiers from the beginning of Mission 12, since it's underground. Unfortunately it's only useful late-game.

There is a rift in the cave, I remember a 100% percent tag for pickup when I explored the area.
The soldiers can be carried out of the cave - Needs a little bit more time, but should work to.

Edit: Seems like I was wrong :D

ISOM

S rank soldiers have a very good chance of spawning in story-related missions. I used a mix of two methods. I can't help you with the specificity, though.

1) Mission 12,
start the mission, skip the cutscenes, knock out both guards in the starting area and Fulton them. You can also Fulton the red containers for tons of fuel, minor metal, and precious metal. Then grab the intel to set the checkpoint, and restart the mission and repeat. Good for farming resources, with a side of possibly S-ranked soldiers.

2) Mission 16.
Go to the airport where the truck is, and activate the Skulls. Kill them however you like (D-Walker with the gatling gun works wonders), call in D-Dog to spot, and Fulton everyone in the base.

I also got a ton by running around trying to finish all the side ops.

How do you fulton the containers? They are blocked by the rocks above so everytime I try I get failure.
Edit:Nevermind

It's kind of crazy to me that people have 100%. I mean, I get it, you have a lot of time. But ive been playing every single minute that I have had free time since the day the game has been released, and I'm only at 57% after 73 hours. The idea that people have S ranks in everything, 100% on everything, is super ridiculous to me. And I'm jealous. I really am. Like, I've finished the story and stuff. So thats all done. Except mission 45.

Just really burnt out I guess and need a break from it. I really really want to get to other games now but this is just so good that sometimes I just get frustrated I'm not there.

you should be happy. there's still stuff left to do. enjoy it.

Greddleok

It's kind of crazy to me that people have 100%. I mean, I get it, you have a lot of time. But ive been playing every single minute that I have had free time since the day the game has been released, and I'm only at 57% after 73 hours. The idea that people have S ranks in everything, 100% on everything, is super ridiculous to me. And I'm jealous. I really am. Like, I've finished the story and stuff. So thats all done. Except mission 45.

Just really burnt out I guess and need a break from it. I really really want to get to other games now but this is just so good that sometimes I just get frustrated I'm not there.

S ranking stuff isn't actually time consuming. You just got a do them quickly, and once you e played the mission once, you'll already know where the objective is, so you can just haul ass straight to it.

I took a break from V last week. Felt good to get back in there. The mechanics of that game are just perfect.

Ludens

Banned
fuck mission 45

The trick in this mission is
never top moving. Wear a battle armor so tanks won't one-shot you, then keep running around fultoning vehicles. Don't bother with common soldier if they are not right in front of you, Quiet will kill them, just keep fultoning vehicles and eventually you will complete the mission with a S rank.

Squishy3

The trick in this mission is
never top moving. Wear a battle armor so tanks won't one-shot you, then keep running around fultoning vehicles. Don't bother with common soldier if they are not right in front of you, Quiet will kill them, just keep fultoning vehicles and eventually you will complete the mission with a S rank.
i already completed it, that doesn't mean it's not terrible

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I just now realized (after finishing all of the story missions) that the sneaking suit lets you crouch walk full clip without alerting enemies. Too bad its so ugly. Those thighs. Ugh. No thanks.

Huggers

I've avoided all spoilers. Had a very brief scan of reviews scores. Now the dust has settled what's Gafs general consensus on the game? I love the series, well 1 to 3 certainly and am thinking I might grab this later today.

Randam

I've avoided all spoilers. Had a very brief scan of reviews scores. Now the dust has settled what's Gafs general consensus on the game? I love the series, well 1 to 3 certainly and am thinking I might grab this later today.
Review scores are way to high.

And this game is nothing like mgs 1-3.

Xrenity

I must admit I sometimes feel like a cheater when I've done a side-ops (extract soldier) and then just 'Return to ACC' when I'm still in a firefight.

And plus that, I need to fulton people much more often...

NIN90

I've seen one guy claim that he put 350 hours into the game. The game's been out for three weeks. That's an average of 16.67 hours a day.

It's pretty light on story compared to the other games but it's hands down the best MGS to actually play.

The gameplay can be wonderful, but it also can be a grind in the latter stages of the game. Story isn't great and characters, bar one or two, have no real arcs. The dust is still very much in the air at the moment, but I think most are in agreement that it's a brilliant but very flawed game that botches the landing, when it could have been one of the greatest games ever made. Still, I hope Konami don't let this franchise rot and allows someone to build on the amazing game mechanics with another MGS.

The fanboy in me wants a game set during WWII about The Boss' exploits. Keep the mythology to a minimum and just write a really good self contained story about The Boss and her unit. There's really nothing left to say about Solid Snake or Big Boss any more.

Huggers

The gameplay can be wonderful, but it also can be a grind in the latter stages of the game. Story isn't great and characters, bar one or two, have no real arcs. The dust is still very much in the air at the moment, but I think most are in agreement that it's a brilliant but very flawed game that botches the landing, when it could have been one of the greatest games ever made. Still, I hope Konami don't let this franchise rot and allows someone to build on the amazing game mechanics with another MGS.

The fanboy in me wants a game set during WWII about The Boss' exploits. Keep the mythology to a minimum and just write a really good self contained story about The Boss and her unit. There's really nothing left to say about Solid Snake or Big Boss any more.

Thanks mate that's awesome. I'll get this this afternoon if my local indy store has it in stock

kriskrosbbk

Guys do you ever use the mounted to the chopper gun by yourself? For missions or something.I find it difficult to understand for what I can use it.Put spoiler tags if you answer please.

Guys do you ever use the mounted to the chopper gun by yourself? For missions or something.I find it difficult to understand for what I can use it.Put spoiler tags if you answer please.

I took out a uav at someone's fob with one, but it's hard to use.

Mission
can be done without touching down if you've opened up the LZ.

Jintor

Sure. Try flying into a hotzone as a deployment point. It's a fun variation.

C2W for instance can be done without getting off the chopper

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I did Mission 30/31
Skull Face
last night. Super easy to 'No Trace' through but a cracking mission nonetheless. Very tense. Loved the now famous line at the end. Fiddle levels of awesome.

So, without spoilers further ahead than that, I get the sense people don't like the
Vocal Cord Parasites? They're all but lifted wholesale from William S Burroughs, so I didn't find them all that weird. Quite a cool reference. I imagine they're going to end up the precursor to the nanomachines in some capacity.

Kicking myself that I wasn't able to
stymie the epidemic,
but that really made those last few missions nerve-racking. Loved the boss fight with
The Skulls too, that cutscenes was great. Classic zombie horror.

Where do you see your total playtime ?

Can't find it !

Mission 30 done. C grade with only one alert and like 6/7 soldiers fultoned... maybe the game wanted me to kill/stun every enemy? Loved the cutscene though, Skull Face is really a Roger Moore-era enemy.

Shinjica

The franchise will not rot, Pachinko Metal Gear will keep it alive!

Lender

Mission 23 "Voices" spoilers below.

Can't fulton the kids? OK, time for tedious hopper extracts for everyone! Just found out the flare grenade goes to nearest normal LZ rather than super close to where you drop it. This should be fun and time consuming.

You can fulton kids later on when you develop the new fulton mode.

Jintor

Mission 23 "Voices" spoilers below.

Can't fulton the kids? OK, time for tedious hopper extracts for everyone! Just found out the flare grenade goes to nearest normal LZ rather than super close to where you drop it. This should be fun and time consuming.

stuff 'em all into a jeep

Vuze

Is side ops "Mine clearing 7" bugged for anyone else? It doesn't count the cleared mines unless I start with one specific mine. And unfortunately you have to leave and revisit the map to make the mines respawn (or mess around somewhere far enough away for a long enough time). Sucks. I'll have to nail down the one that triggers it eventually next time.

myco666

So I did Mission 30/31
Skull Face
last night. Super easy to 'No Trace' through but a cracking mission nonetheless. Very tense. Loved the now famous line at the end. Fiddle levels of awesome.

So, without spoilers further ahead than that, I get the sense people don't like the
Vocal Cord Parasites? They're all but lifted wholesale from William S Burroughs, so I didn't find them all that weird. Quite a cool reference. I imagine they're going to end up the precursor to the nanomachines in some capacity.

Kicking myself that I wasn't able to
stymie the epidemic,
but that really made those last few missions nerve-racking. Loved the boss fight with
The Skulls too, that cutscenes was great. Classic zombie horror.

I don't think people dislike
Vocal Cord Parasites
themselves but more how
Code Talker won't shut up about them in tapes and goes way too deep into the science behind them. Doesn't help that his delivery isn't that great for long tapes.

JP

Not really had time to play much of this but I'm absolutely loving what I have played so far.

I have some questions about Mother Base that I can't find answers to elsewhere, I know that the game itself may answer them later on as I'm still quite early on in the game.

A simple "it will happen later on" rather than giving information away rather than details of exactly how the things happen would perfect.

When Konami showed a walkthrough at Gamescom, the base they built had each platform right next to each but I've just added my first two additional platforms and they're absolutely miles away from each other. Is this something that's customisable later on?
Screen%20Shot%202015-09-23%20at%2010.50.43.png~original

I appreciate that the there may be performance issues with having all the platforms such close proximity as happens here so they may have dropped that now.

I remember Kojima talking about painting his base pink ages ago, is this something that will happen later on as I don't really seem to have customisation options at the moment or has this not appeared in the final game?

I keep fluttering sheep after being instructed to in one of the missions, am I doing this for a reason? I always have spare Fulton systems on me so it's not really an issue but I just can't work out whether it's completely pointless or whether something happens later on?

Thanks. :)

Am I the only one who wants to quit the game once he gets spotted? Shooting enemies feels wrong so I settled for the stealth approach but I find it really frustrating to run away from enemies.

I always end up quitting the game since I don't want to put up with this. Consequently I'm not really enjoying my time with this aside from some glimpses of fun here and there.

Am I the only one who wants to quit the game once he gets spotted? Shooting enemies feels wrong so I settled for the stealth approach but I find it really frustrating to run away from enemies.

I always end up quitting the game since I don't want to put up with this. Consequently I'm not really enjoying my time with this aside from some glimpses of fun here and there.

Nope. The game does a good job of telling you the people you're about to kill are scumbags anyway. I don't go out of my way to kill, but if I get caught, I'm just gonna go full nuclear. the only guards I go out of my way not to kill are the ones I overhear having a normal conversation with their bros about how they don't even know what the fuck they're doing there and are just chatting about normal stuff.

I make sure to slit every XOF operatives throught, though. Those fuckers were sadistic assholes in the hospital scene. No just cause, only revenge.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Mother Base is so wonderful detailed, would be interesting if they would do a full fledged Sons of Liberty Remake with additional areas and ways. Everytime I move around it, I have to think about Big Shell and how they could do stuff.

I ended up killing plenty of soldiers not worthy enough to fulton during the latter stages of the game. In my head I'm thinking "I've wasted time scanning you and your best skill is worthless D. Time to die, Rotting Clungnugget. Your pal, on the other hand, Putrid Eel, has a A+ in R&D, so he gets to ride the balloon." I don't know why, but I just take great glee in executing the mediocre. It's a new kind of therapy for me.

Get some non-lethal equipment, the game does a great job of giving you many play styles if things go wrong.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Vocal Cord Parasites
themselves but more how
Code Talker won't shut up about them in tapes and goes way too deep into the science behind them. Doesn't help that his delivery isn't that great for long tapes.

Ah, okay. I took it as a classic Metal Gear lecture. I though people missed that shit?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

You are totally missing the amazing moment of transition between "everything is stealthy, I've got it under control, and no gets hurt" to "oh shit! My plans are ruined and I have to fight my way out in any way possible!!"

You can play it however you want, but I think you are robbing yourself of the greatest moments in this game with your misplaced perfectionism.

Next time you try an infiltration and get spotted, think: this will be your greatest moment in gaming if you can get out of this creatively.

Lanrutcon

You're limiting yourself. The game is as much of an action game as it is a stealth game (arguably more, in fact). When you get spotted, you can totally run...

...or break out your grenade launcher and redecorate.

That being said, the game hands you a crapload of stealth toys as you progress, making things easier once you've got the technology. Sleep Grenades being an example.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Nah. Still, you should take time to shoot shit up just to see how mad everything gets.... then quit. :)

Right seriously, mission 29. Any tips?

Yeah.
Bring your most damaging assault rifle and rocket launcher... maybe even D-Walker. Ignore the puppets. Run for the building dead ahead and use it as cover. Feel free to run away and draw The Skulls out if you're getting surrounded. Learn to counter The Skulls CQC/Machete attacks, you can do fair damage to them if you do. When the pale red bar turns thick red, you can damage them. If they look like they are about to have a shit, either find cover or, if the ground below you is sparking, dive out of the way and run as far as you can.

Hope that helps.

Vocal Cord Parasites
themselves but more how

Yeah, they're a cool concept and it ties in to the plot of the other games really nicely. It's just the way Code Talker kept repeating the phrase that made his tapes so unbearable. The least they could've done was come up with a cool, Metal Gear sounding name for the virus. Voxdie, anybody?.

Top Bottom