• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

malfcn

Still wondering why
Eli
called me out as Snake during the White Mamba mission. Do I just need to keep playing?

And shitty, have his back turned but can't shoot him? He just gets an alert. Lame.

Vex_

Banned
You have to get it for 100% if that matters to you. Also you get a costume to develop.

Speaking of. Does that include the extreme missions too?

So it isnt worth it then? Good. I can just blow shit up on these last few missions. Been stealthing the entire game waiting for an opportunity to use
dwalker
/tanks/rpgs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X8weRP-rp4

I panicked as soon as I saw that they were headed to an outpost and had to improvise. Good thing for me the car was left almost unattended. XD

When people play like this, it makes me want to rip my hair out. This is why I cannot stand watching others play "lets plays" and what not. No offense, but you let everything goto shit.

"Prisoner died"
Heroism loss
Heroism loss again
Base on high alert status

C'mon bro, you're supposed to make sure everyone gets out safe. And snake never gets caught :mad:

Starts flailing arms around wildly.

Vex_

Banned
You can blow shit up and still get S ranks.

No you cant. A lot of missions end in failure if you go in guns blazing. You may kill the wrong guy. There are missions where you cannot shoot down a helicopter. This means if you draw its attention you fail.

As a side note, it is usually better to capture the badguys (gunsmiths, vehicles, etc) so you can later on make use of them. this game punishes wild play. I am at the end now, and just want to kill everything now after holding back. I try not raise any alarms.

Edit: Also, I'd like to use my stealth camo gadget once (but it auto restricts you to A rank or lower). Also, Air strikes for major BOOMAGE.

Branson

No you cant. A lot of missions end in failure if you go in guns blazing. You may kill the wrong guy. There are missions where you cannot shoot down a helicopter. This means if you draw its attention you fail.

As a side note, it is usually better to capture the badguys (gunsmiths, vehicles, etc) so you can later on make use of them. this game punishes wild play. I am at the end now, and just want to kill everything now after holding back. I try not raise any alarms.

Edit: Also, I'd like to use my stealth camo gadget once (but it auto restricts you to A rank or lower). Also, Air strikes for major BOOMAGE.

Yeah I've gotten S ranks blowing up shit. Depends on the mission obviously.

backlot

The only instances I can think of where you instantly fail for killing the wrong guy is if you kill a prisoner you're supposed to save or a Mother Base staff member. Lethal force doesn't disqualify you from S ranks. What missions have helicopters you can't shoot down? I've never had the game stop me from doing so.

Lanrutcon

You get better results mostly because what you save a lot of time, and time is the most important thing when calculating rank.

You would be amazed at how many missions were not designed to handle the player going in with a tank.

=You get better results mostly because what you save a lot of time, and time is the most important thing when calculating rank
I still feel like it's a huge misconception that time is the most important for S-Ranking. I've gotten S-Ranks playing incredibly slowly on missions taking a perfect stealth approach.

I think the reason time is seen as the most important is because it lets you make up for missing a lot of other bonuses, thus allowing non-stealth speedrun approaches to be possible S-ranks

backlot

Yes and yes. Uhm, my last mission was 40-something where
I had to blast a shitload of thanks with Quiet.

Really?
That's the last unique story mission. To see the true ending you need to play Mission 46 which is a repeat of an earlier mission. It unlocked at the same time as the Quiet mission for me so I'd be surprised if you don't have it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
What a 200 hours ride

Now there's one last thing you must do.

One final mission...

suicide.jpg

Still wondering why
Eli
called me out as Snake during the White Mamba mission. Do I just need to keep playing?

And shitty, have his back turned but can't shoot him? He just gets an alert. Lame.

I just did that mission and I have the same question! I have a theory that he is (speculation, possibly a spoiler if I'm right)
a young Liquid Snake. Although my only basis for thinking that is that they are both blonde and this is post Les Enfants Terrible. And they are both douchebags I guess.

I'm always unsure of whether to spoiler tag theories.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Although my only basis for thinking that is that they are both blonde and this is post Les Enfants Terrible. And they are both douchebags I guess.

I'm always unsure of whether to spoiler tag theories.

This becomes very obvious in the game actually

GravyButt

Ok this games getting on my nerves today. It's been 4 hours. Missions 45 46 and side op 150 wont unlock. Ive listened to all cassettes, done all the right missions and side ops. Done tons of random missions and side ops and nothing. Been to mother base 20+ times. No butterfly emblem. Nothing. Wtf gives. Am I missing a certain part of the base im supposed to visit? I went to hueys lab that did nada. Someone help before I just say screw it and watch the cutscenes on YouTube and then be mad at myself

wrowa

I bought this game day 1 and it is still sitting wrapped on my shelf. I'm stoked to play it (as it is my first MGS game ever) but a lot of these messages are delaying the experience for fear of it just being a mediocre game. Too many other great games are still on my list.

It's the best MGS game ever, no contest. So, don't be worried, it's a great experience. The story only gets worse as the game goes on, especially if you expected some closure to the MGS saga, but just between us: MGS stories never were good to begin with. MGS4 and Peace Walker already set the stage for truly terrible stories even.

backlot

Ok this games getting on my nerves today. It's been 4 hours. Missions 45 46 and side op 150 wont unlock. Ive listened to all cassettes, done all the right missions and side ops. Done tons of random missions and side ops and nothing. Been to mother base 20+ times. No butterfly emblem. Nothing. Wtf gives. Am I missing a certain part of the base im supposed to visit? I went to hueys lab that did nada. Someone help before I just say screw it and watch the cutscenes on YouTube and then be mad at myself

I know you said you did all the right missions and side ops but just to make sure, you've rescued all the child soldiers and had the second outbreak happen, right? Huey has been cast out?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hot tip for developing: you probably have WAY too many resources.

I just checked and I had like 180k Biological materials. I sold a bunch and added up in total to almost 10mil while still having a bunch left over. I just developed a TON OF weapons and have way more customization options now.

I love this game to bits...but it does certain early-on introductions to mechanics a bit poorly leading to people not realizing certain key gameplay functions even after over 100 hours of gameplay.

Example: Communications disruptions to HQ to halt reinforcements. One of the first missions in the game (I believe it's #3) tells you to destroy the radar dishes, of which there are three in that one outpost, to disrupt communications when all you really have to do is destroy the one radio receiver device with a blinking blue light on it. I spent a stupid amount of time sloppily and loudly blowing up shit in bases, because of that mission explicitly telling me I had to, when I wish I knew that all I needed to take out was the radio receiver. Also they get repaired and don't really last for that long anyway which is both a cool thing but also a bit of an annoyance.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm remembering one of my favourite parts of this game, which was actually completely coincidental.

It was mission 10 where you extract the prisoner who is guarded by the tank.

It just so happened that when I started the mission, in about 40 seconds a sandstorm would begin. It was timed so that I basically had exactly enough time to land in the helicopter, hop on D-horse, then run in the base EXACTLY as the sandstorm started.

I spent 3 hours perfecting this method of running up the field, holding up the enemies, getting the enemies to sleep, sneaking in and extracting the bonus prisoners, and then driving away with the prisoner.

That final execution felt god damned incredible. It was a perfect execution of A - B - C that ended in me driving away, the truck and tank never even getting a chance to leave the home village, and everyone either held up or incapacitated in the base behind me.

What a thrill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X8weRP-rp4

I panicked as soon as I saw that they were headed to an outpost and had to improvise. Good thing for me the car was left almost unattended. XD

I love how you rode by on your horse, then smacked the ammo out of the enemies hand.

Sassen

I love this game to bits...but it does certain early-on introductions to mechanics a bit poorly leading to people not realizing certain key gameplay functions even after over 100 hours of gameplay.

Example: Communications disruptions to HQ to halt reinforcements. One of the first missions in the game (I believe it's #3) tells you to destroy the radar dishes, of which there are three in that one outpost, to disrupt communications when all you really have to do is destroy the one radio receiver device with a blinking blue light on it. I spent a stupid amount of time sloppily and loudly blowing up shit in bases, because of that mission explicitly telling me I had to, when I wish I knew that all I needed to take out was the radio receiver. Also they get repaired and don't really last for that long anyway which is both a cool thing but also a bit of an annoyance.

Didn't one of the mission tasks mention just blowing the transmitter? I could be wrong, lol.

What a 200 hours ride

This blows my mind. I'm at 112 hrs and idk what else i would even do. I don't plan to S rank all missions, but idk if that would take another 88 hours if I did. I can't fathom 200 hrs of this game.

P.s. I prolly even put ~15 into fob stuff

bobawesome

Okay, what in the world is going on with the skybox in Africa?

Whenever I so much as nudge the right stick, it starts flickering. I'm playing on the PS4 and haven't noticed anything being said about this so I'm not sure if it's a general issue or if it's just me. I tried rebuilding the database and that did nothing.

Anybody?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This blows my mind. I'm at 112 hrs and idk what else i would even do. I don't plan to S rank all missions, but idk if that would take another 88 hours if I did. I can't fathom 200 hrs of this game.

P.s. I prolly even put ~15 into fob stuff

I think its a difference between "objective based fun" and "exploration based fun."

Look at some of the videos where people are doing stuff like setting 8 C4 underneath a jeep filled with decoy balloons and launching it to fall on an enemies head the exact moment they're about to shoot the player.

People can get into crazy antics like that which absorb massive amounts of time, and have a blast doing it.

GravyButt

I know you said you did all the right missions and side ops but just to make sure, you've rescued all the child soldiers and had the second outbreak happen, right? Huey has been cast out?
Yup. It actually just popped. After 4 hours and tons of random side ops. Well missions 46 and side op 150 popped. Mission 45 still hasn't. No clue why. And yes that cutscene popped. My bond is maxed too

bucyou55

Banned
Yup. It actually just popped. After 4 hours and tons of random side ops. Well missions 46 and side op 150 popped. Mission 45 still hasn't. No clue why. And yes that cutscene popped. My bond is maxed too

pretty sure after side op 150 it goes right into mission 45

Didn't one of the mission tasks mention just blowing the transmitter? I could be wrong, lol.

It does...but it's one of the secret mission tasks and just says something like "Blow up the radio transmitter." Nothing about that resulting in disrupting all communications. I thought it was just one more thing to blow up in order to take down the whole network of communications. If you do it accidentally during that mission it will say "good job! now you can leave" but even then it doesn't explicitly say that's all you need.

It's weird. That's just one example too. There's more.

Also...unrelated but has anyone figured out / guessed why the Mother Base platforms are so goddamn far out from the Command Platform? I figured at first I'd expand along the struts out to them but...doesn't seem like it?

Who is the 'Gunsmith' that sent
Eli....
and his squad to the Masa village in Africa where you extract said spoiler?

This is mentioned in the final conversation between the
Arms Dealer and CFA official
in Mission:
The War Economy
. The
Arms Dealer specifically mentions the Gunsmith's 'brats'

Is the 'Gunsmith'
Skullface
?

Timeaisis

So I just now realized DD can get a
fulton suit
that I never found throughout the course of the game. Goddamit. That would've made things easier.

How do you increase bond with DHorse?

I use him in missions but only to get to the base etc. Does he have any useful skills? I know about the poop.

J.EM1

Is there an sense in upgrading the weapons of the helicopter?
If you enjoy calling in Pequod to hot LZ's and having him take care of business, sure.

I upgraded Pequod with rockets/missiles/flares/armor but it raised the GMP usage. So I went back to its stock setting.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Depends. Are you using the helicopter as a support ?
It's a great support but I almost never use it. It's too loud :p

Im using the heli support on some Side Ops. It's pretty cool if you have it upgraded

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Depends. Are you using the helicopter as a support ?
It's a great support but I almost never use it. It's too loud :p

If you enjoy calling in Pequod to hot LZ's and having him take care of business, sure.

I upgraded Pequod with rockets/missiles/flares/armor but it raised the GMP usage. So I went back to its stock setting.
OK, I see. Maybe he will be useful for clearing hot LZs.
Will destroy anti air radars and turrents by himself? Or will he aim for soldiers?

MisterMac

Hot tip for developing: you probably have WAY too many resources.

I just checked and I had like 180k Biological materials. I sold a bunch and added up in total to almost 10mil while still having a bunch left over. I just developed a TON OF weapons and have way more customization options now.

Precious Metal was my jam. I developed til I couldn't have any more things developing anymore. Now I'm out of stuff to develop and have to use my most expensive loadouts and deploy just to spend enough money to accept my FOB defense rewards.

Vuze

Soooooo episode 43.
I kinda appreciated the horror-esque turn, pretty refreshing! But is this suppossed to be the ending that the average player should settle on? It kinda feels like it after that final cutscene and "We are Diamond Dogs" closing word.
If that's the case, I can totally relate to the outrage. No wait, thinking about it, there's gotta be something with Eli, the Psycho Mantis thing and the Sahelanthropus. So I guess I will finally have to touch these Redux missions to unlock more?

Hypron

Soooooo episode 43.
I kinda appreciated the horror-esque turn, pretty refreshing! But is this suppossed to be the ending that the average player should settle on? It kinda feels like it after that final cutscene and "We are Diamond Dogs" closing word.
If that's the case, I can totally relate to the outrage. No wait, thinking about it, there's gotta be something with Eli, the Psycho Mantis thing and the Sahelanthropus. So I guess I will finally have to touch these Redux missions to unlock more?

No the real ending is mission
. Just keep playing side missions, no need to do hard difficulty missions.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Soooooo episode 43.

You still have story related missions left.

PMS341

Have to tell you guys a funny thing that happened to me.

Did Mission 29 the other night, AKA the
Skull fight at the airport
, and as soon as the cutscene ended, I just booked it as fast as I could in the opposite direction. For whatever reason, this caused
the Skulls
to not detect me (OP Sneaking Suit lol), for whatever reason. I left the airport, stood on a hill, and just fired my Rocket Launcher from a safe distance. The enemies never moved, just sat there and took damage until (after like 8 supply drops) took them out.

I go back to the copter and pick up
Code Talker
, but the mist is still there... no idea what to do at this point. I call in Pequod and put
Code Talker
on, then get on myself, and Miller bitches at me for trying to "abort" the mission. So I get out, start running away, and that ass takes off while
Code Talker
is still on it. This did not end the mission.

At this point, I decided to explore around. Keep in mind with the mist around, there are no other enemies or animals... the entirety of Africa was blank. I went by a few camps, destroyed some communications, gathered some materials, and then I had a worrying thought - none of this is gonna save once I get a "Mission Failed" screen, I assumed. I decided to fulton myself away while holding onto a Materials Container, and boom - I'm back on the ACC, no Mission Failed/Aborted screen, and I kept everything I had gathered. Wish I had explored for longer, I just felt like I was pressing my luck to begin with. Restarting the mission fixed the issue obviously, but I love neat little glitches like that.

Top Bottom