• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Caode

I'm coming up on 60 hours and haven't even reached mission 20 yet. How's that compared to most people's runs?

I'm not deliberately going for 100% but I am doing every side op, and now I'm trying to run around and complete as many optional objectives in each new main mission, or at least the optional objectives I care about. I plan to go back and do some of the optional objectives for like the first 10 missions.

I think I hit the 60 hour mark around Mission 19. 120 hours to finish the main story. 214 hours to 100% it.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Man fuck this. I'm trying to do the optional objectives, and I just spent no shit around 45 mins on "Back up, Back down" (the one where you have to destroy tanks within a time limit) doing them all. When I extracted, no shit, the very last of the 3 last tanks, I got shot and killed by some postmen.

It wants me to start ALL THE WAY OVER.

Man, fuck that. Fuck that hard. I think it's about time to finally give this game a break for a while. At 65% now.
The check points are horrendous .

I raised morale for my whole base, just to fall off a glitched platform with no floor, and I started back at the LZ. Had to go raise morale again.

Durden77

65% of what? That's the 9th mission. I have cleared all the missions and done ~90 side missions and am only at 68%

65% complete. I've already finished the story and have done 77% of side missions. I'm just going through and clearing up optional objectives now. At least I was.

Caode

65% complete. I've already finished the story and have done 77% of side missions. I'm just going through and clearing up optional objectives now. At least I was.

I used the fully developed
stealth
for doing all the mission tasks in that mission, makes it so much more bearable for missions that have next to zero checkpoints when you can just breeze through them.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I love it when it's a woman prisoner I've rescued who I stick the fulton to. "Wooooooo Hoooooooo!"

With the guys, it's just sheer panic.

Durden77

I raised morale for my whole base, just to fall off a glitched platform with no floor, and I started back at the LZ. Had to go raise morale again.

They don't rear their head very often because the mission design is 95% extremely good and the amount of options at your disposal at all times keeps you moving, but when they do, they're fucking ugly. I had next to no problems with them just playing through normally, but they're becoming more noticeable on the optional objectives. Yesterday after listening to a 5 minute long conversation between some generals which was an optional objective, I died and have to do that again. Feck that.

I used the fully developed
stealth
for doing all the mission tasks in that mission, makes it so much more bearable for missions that have next to zero checkpoints when you can just breeze through them.

What item exactly are you referring to when you say
stealth
?

I fast travelled via box to a mansion side op, completed the side op collecting 8 soldiers, then fell off the mansion and died. (my fault). It put me back to wher I was and how things were before I even fast travelled :-/

malfcn

I guess it's frustrating because you're equipped for non lethal play. You get to redeploy in the middle of a storm (wtf) and then you're basically forced to go lethal. If you don't ready up to kill you're practically dead. I've qte them a bunch of times, but no matter the non lethal gun it does shit, my mines did shit too.

One time I managed to get their health down, they either brought their armor back up, or stopped attacking me.

Man fuck this. I'm trying to do the optional objectives, and I just spent no shit around 45 mins on "Back up, Back down" (the one where you have to destroy tanks within a time limit) doing them all. When I extracted, no shit, the very last of the 3 last tanks, I got shot and killed by some postmen.

Man, fuck that. Fuck that hard. I think it's about time to finally give this game a break for a while. At 65% now.

Did that shit perfectly. Died on the last. Turned my ps4 off before I chucked it out of the window.

KOMANI

KOMANI
They don't rear their head very often because the mission design is 95% extremely good and the amount of options at your disposal at all times keeps you moving, but when they do, they're fucking ugly. I had next to no problems with them just playing through normally, but they're becoming more noticeable on the optional objectives. Yesterday after listening to a 5 minute long conversation between some generals which was an optional objective, I died and have to do that again. Feck that.

stealth
?
That exactly happened to me, but it still saved the objective so I never had to complete the mission.

Durden77

I've never been very great at MGS games. I've always enjoyed them but I hope I don't have to S tehse Subsistence and Extreme missions, I'm so bad at them :(

edit: Tried my first C2W a few times and just get spotted so often. How do you get better at this?

You don't have to S rank Subsistence or Extreme mission or even do them unless you want 100%.

Here's an easy way to get through the C2W one if you're interested though...

Make your landing point the base itself. Use the chopper's gatling gun to take out the three antennas. Profit.

Caode

stealth
?

The
stealth camo, (under items in the development menu), you'll be able to develop it fully having finished the main story and witnessed hueys exile. Makes fultoning those tanks a charm when no one can see you :)

Blader

Chapter 2 spoilers: Just completed the
secure the Man on Fire's remains
side op and...huh.

So Man on Fire being a vengeful Volgin is a cool idea, but what the hell just happened? He and BB wrestle for a couple seconds, suddenly Boss has a hand full of bullets, and Volgin falls to the ground dead? And why is Kojima revealing it now, at the same time he's killing him off? Seems like a wasted opportunity to not have Volgin -- or the Man on Fire revealed as Volgin -- not play a more active part in the story.

Also, maybe my game glitched, but going into the mission Ocelot was saying blah blah blah, "and the man on fire just may be our friend Volgin." Wait, what?! Where did that come from? Were the some obvious hints or conversations I missed earlier about Man on Fire = Volgin? Because that suggestion seemed completely out of nowhere, and kinda undermined the impact of seeing Volgin once you get to his body. The exact same lines are used in a post-mission cassette, which leads me to think my game just glitched and played some of that audio too early -- that happen to anyone else?

Caffeine

Chapter 2 spoilers: Just completed the
secure the Man on Fire's remains
side op and...huh.

So Man on Fire being a vengeful Volgin is a cool idea, but what the hell just happened? He and BB wrestle for a couple seconds, suddenly Boss has a hand full of bullets, and Volgin falls to the ground dead? And why is Kojima revealing it now, at the same time he's killing him off? Seems like a wasted opportunity to not have Volgin -- or the Man on Fire revealed as Volgin -- not play a more active part in the story.

Also, maybe my game glitched, but going into the mission Ocelot was saying blah blah blah, "and the man on fire just may be our friend Volgin." Wait, what?! Where did that come from? Were the some obvious hints or conversations I missed earlier about Man on Fire = Volgin? Because that suggestion seemed completely out of nowhere, and kinda undermined the impact of seeing Volgin once you get to his body. The exact same lines are used in a post-mission cassette, which leads me to think my game just glitched and played some of that audio too early -- that happen to anyone else?

probably because he is wearing the same suit, ocelot would know he worked along side him.

Durden77

Did that shit perfectly. Died on the last. Turned my ps4 off before I chucked it out of the window.

That was the worst part was I did it perfectly too. But I had one shot to fulton the last tank and I had to go for it. Sure enough that was the time 6 dudes on a dune saw me and lit me up after extracting it. Punishment for death is cool, but that's just fucked up.

The
stealth camo, (under items in the development menu), you'll be able to develop it fully having finished the main story and witnessed hueys exile. Makes fultoning those tanks a charm when no one can see you :)

The
stealth camo PP
thing? Haven't even begun development on that yet. Will give it a shot.

GuessWho

So I just got the game and I know it's a stealth but I like going in guns blazing, is this a good strategy or should i always go stealth? Also I'm thinking of just doing the missions first, get that out of the way. What you think? Thx

RedSwirl

This game's checkpoints are just one sign this is still a Japanese developer trying for the firs time to make a systemic open-world game -- usually the domain of western PC-oriented developers. Any western developer making this game would probably have just given it a quicksave, at least for the PC version.

KarmaCow

So I just got the game and I know it's a stealth but I like going in guns blazing, is this a good strategy or should i always go stealth? Also I'm thinking of just doing the missions first, get that out of the way. What you think? Thx

Just do whatever works. Maybe try stealth but if you get caught, roll with it. The game is pretty lenient for the most part.

sappyday

probably because he is wearing the same suit, ocelot would know he worked along side him.
Still dumb considering Ocelot never mentions it before and not even in any of the early cassette tapes you get about The Man on Fire. Ocelot does say it out of nowhere right at the end of his story. Would of been much better if Ocelot would of said something like "Could he be who we think it is? How is it possible? He should be dead!" in one of the early cassettes.

Caode

That was the worst part was I did it perfectly too. But I had one shot to fulton the last tank and I had to go for it. Sure enough that was the time 6 dudes on a dune saw me and lit me up after extracting it. Punishment for death is cool, but that's just fucked up.

The
stealth camo PP
thing? Haven't even begun development on that yet. Will give it a shot.

Yeah the
PP version is fairly useless but since you've finished the game, you'll have 'emmerich's research notes' which gives you the option to develop the final version of the stealth camo, you do have to develop the PP versions first of course - it's not unlimited it but it recharges really fast and lasts for a decent amount of time when equipped - so in that mission with it equipped I just ran towards every vehicle and planted mines on the road, you're done with it in a matter of minutes then you can extract the tanks without the worry of being caught and dying and having to restart the whole mission

Caode

Soooooooo this mission.. 40, cloaked in silence, since I cannot summon an strike, what would be the best option to get that S?

Sleep gas grenade launcher does the job very well, if you have it unlocked/developed. If you can work your way over to underneath her sniping point where she is at the start of the mission and just open fire on it, should do the trick. There's plenty of good strategies online but alternatively, use a tank.

KarmaCow

Thanks but what affects your ranking? If I don't use stealth and kill allot if soldiers does my rank go down?

You do lose potential bonus points for breaking stealth among other things like killing someone but that is a one time thing. The only thing that gives you negative points are the number of combat alerts and how many hits you take. Again, the game is very lenient, things like headshots will give you points and time is the most important factor for you rank. More importantly, rank per mission doesn't mean much especially your first time through.

There is a mostly comestic thing related to if you're killing a bunch of people but it's not a big deal. Just don't over think it and just play. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you since the game is so open to multiple playstyles.

Just develop a rocket launcher for them.

Or just take a regular rife, do the CQC stuff(press the button just as you're getting attacked) and then attack non-stop.

Durden77

Yeah the
PP version is fairly useless but since you've finished the game, you'll have 'emmerich's research notes' which gives you the option to develop the final version of the stealth camo, you do have to develop the PP versions first of course - it's not unlimited it but it recharges really fast and lasts for a decent amount of time when equipped - so in that mission with it equipped I just ran towards every vehicle and planted mines on the road, you're done with it in a matter of minutes then you can extract the tanks without the worry of being caught and dying and having to restart the whole mission

Good to know. I'll get to work on developing that stuff right away. S ranks can wait.

just here to say i hate that mission. trying to run all over for the tasks, ugh. i think it's the worst in the whole game.

malfcn

Just had a crash to dash during the fight. This game is buggy on Xbox.

And it's experience breaking to be able to mid game switch load out and everything.

Caode

Good to know. I'll get to work on developing that stuff right away. S ranks can wait.

It's very handy for just breezing through mission tasks, will lock you out of S ranks though. I had S ranked most missions when I was at that stage of clearing up all mission tasks so it was convenient for me in that sense.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

You will come back.

Its the long grind but you know there is fun to be had.

Caode

I....I already am....gotta develop stuff....*sigh*...

I'm not gonna fuck with that mission again for a while though.

Yeah you can burn yourself out with certain missions (I'm looking at you Lingua Franca - had the worst fucking 'listen to' mission task that hardly worked) - I would go over and back between missions to keep it fresh in between doing mission tasks, took some serious will power to go back to that one though, felt like a chore in the end up.

kriskrosbbk

Guys how many of you managed to do an S rank on the furst mission run ? Is this even possible if not just lucky? I mean objectives are locked at first.

Chairhome

Guys how many of you managed to do an S rank on the furst mission run ? Is this even possible if not just lucky? I mean objectives are locked at first.

Objectives aren't locked, they're just hidden, you can stumble upon them. Like the above poster said, you get massive points for extracting prisoners, so I've gotten lucky with a few. But S rank shouldn't be your priority on your first run.

Top Bottom