• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

BPoole

Came across this gif in reference Keifer Sutherland being paid per word

metalgearpalpek1.gif

Source of article that is also pretty funny

malfcn

Just went to base and S cut scene saying I was attacked played. "We know who did this and have a route back to them." But I don't see anything.

Arttemis

Just went to base and S cut scene saying I was attacked played. "We know who did this and have a route back to them." But I don't see anything.

I got that, too. I don't think I had been infiltrated yet, but I did attempt an invasion and failed. Seems like a buggy trigger?

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Man, I'm trying to do all of the tasks for Mission 40
the repeat fight against Quiet, and I can't fucking get the final task (no firearms) to pop. I had no issue during the first fight, just popped a smoke and she was a goner. Now I've successfully stunned her down with stun grenades, put her to sleep with sleep grenades (all thrown, no barrel action) and I've done it without using the stealth camo. I even carefully threw the nades next to her so I wouldn't actually hit her, but the thing won't register. Bugged?

Why does Huey Emmerich's voice actor insist on pronouncing words inconsistently?

Bi-PEE-dal is apparently the British English way of saying "bipedal" (who knew?) but he says CHA-see (instead of SHA-see) for chassis, which is the American way. I have no idea why it's bugging me. Maybe it's just the fact I keep hearing that idiot Otacon every time he says something.

Anway, taking it slow with this game. Only just got to Africa, done the first mission there (
blowing up the oil refinery
) and I'm loving it so far. Even the missus is watching me play it, and she knows shit about the story of the series. I've been explaining what I can to her, but then I get confused and forget stuff... great fun.

Blader

Also...unrelated but has anyone figured out / guessed why the Mother Base platforms are so goddamn far out from the Command Platform? I figured at first I'd expand along the struts out to them but...doesn't seem like it?

Might be a loading/performance thing?

the repeat fight against Quiet, and I can't fucking get the final task (no firearms) to pop. I had no issue during the first fight, just popped a smoke and she was a goner. Now I've successfully stunned her down with stun grenades, put her to sleep with sleep grenades (all thrown, no barrel action) and I've done it without using the stealth camo. I even carefully threw the nades next to her so I wouldn't actually hit her, but the thing won't register. Bugged?

I dunno, maybe grenades are counted as firearms for some raisin.

I did it with supply drops and the objective came up fine.

trh

I dunno, maybe grenades are counted as firearms for some raisin.

I did it with supply drops and the objective came up fine.

including the repeat mission? She avoids supply drops, unless you distract her apparently, but I could never get that to work

Meier

Came back to this after a few weeks and some playing of Destiny. God the controls fucked me for Destiny and now I'm fucked in reverse

Anyway, mission 30 is ridiculous! Fuck these metal helmets which make it so damn hard to do anything.

As someone who had only played Metal Gear Solid 2 before, I didn't really what to expect from this game.

What I got was essentially a new Mercenaries game with highly polished Splinter Cell gameplay.

And it's amazing.

including the repeat mission? She avoids supply drops, unless you distract her apparently, but I could never get that to work

Yeah, on both. When the supply drop is 10m above her, peek out for like a millisecond to make her shoot. The shot cocking animation will take too long and she can't jump away. It takes more drops than the normal version to beat her though, around 6 in total.

The only issue is timing, and I found either exactly 10m above her, maybe 11m, is the perfect amount of time for her animation to immobilize her.

Haunted

You know what this game's biggest crime is?

YOU CAN'T SHOOT THE LIGHTS OUT :(
?

You can shoot out a ton of the light sources. All the big searchlights, all the stationary lights in proper bases, the smaller mobile lights in the mini outposts and every hanging bulb/lamp in any of the various houses in the field.

There are some you can't break, but it largely passes the standard FPS "shoot every light test" popular around 1999-2002.

Caode

I got it with the sleep grenade launcher, can't recall the exact name of it now - although I didn't directly hit her with the grenade I made sure for it to hit right next to her and she was caught in the gas from it - three hits and she was down - counts as non firearm

trh

Yeah, on both. When the supply drop is 10m above her, peek out for like a millisecond to make her shoot. The shot cocking animation will take too long and she can't jump away. It takes more drops than the normal version to beat her though, around 6 in total.

The only issue is timing, and I found either exactly 10m above her, maybe 11m, is the perfect amount of time for her animation to immobilize her.

Alright I'll try this tomorrow, but ...
I got it with the sleep grenade launcher, can't recall the exact name of it now - although I didn't directly hit her with the grenade I made sure for it to hit right next to her and she was caught in the gas from it - three hits and she was down - counts as non firearm
By these standards I should have gotten it like 5 times already, guessing it might be bugged for me. :(

RedSwirl

Huh.
I don't remember being told Paz had showed up on base. I just noticed one of the doors on the medical platform was unlocked after Mission 17.

Guess Who

Banned
Spoilers for end end game.

I know you lose Quiet. When you do, can you not use her anymore at all?

Indeed you can't. However, if you put a butterfly on your emblem, it will keep you from unlocking the mission where you lose her. You can still progress the rest of the story this way.

Tansut

It's pretty frustrating to spend 98% of the game using non-lethal weapons, focusing on upgrading them almost exclusively, and then start up Mission 29, which I just got to a little bit ago.

rotar2

Neo Member
Just finished mission
and I have no more main story missions or side ops to complete. Anybody know what I'm supposed to do from here?

haikira

Just finished mission
and I have no more main story missions or side ops to complete. Anybody know what I'm supposed to do from here?

It's a matter of completing x amount of y. It doesn't matter if that happens to be replaying missions you've already completed, or going through side ops, but once you complete a set of amount of anything, something will trigger.

Metaroo

Just finished mission

Im in a similar quandary. I tried raising my rank in some missions I didn't get an A/S on, and that did the trick for unlocking 43, so maybe try doing that? Also, Im done with all Side-Ops at this point too, but I'm only at
85%
completion for them. Weird.

It's pretty frustrating to spend 98% of the game using non-lethal weapons, focusing on upgrading them almost exclusively, and then start up Mission 29, which I just got to a little bit ago.

You can beat this mission with just a default rifle as long as you can avoid getting killed. You can CQC them until their armor goes away, which will make them vulnerable to your default assault rifle.

cyress8

Banned
Pretty sure it's based on your heroism rating. I think mine is 15k+ (don't remember actual number, but am at episode 17) right now, and I can find some A+ soldiers fairly frequently.

It is determined by the levels of your motherbase. People on reddit found out that it is the average of all the levels of your motherbase departments to determine the chance for higher ranked soldiers to spawn. Checked it out myself by making all my departments above 50 and s ranks were all over the place once I got the combat team. I tried this out on a new game and it is linked to your motherbase. Think I had less than 20k heroism during this test.

Meier

I had the end of mission 31 in sight. Supply drop coming, he at maybe 10%. Died due to the shock cannon. No check point during the fight or anything. 😭😭😭😭

Caode

I had the end of mission 31 in sight. Supply drop coming, he at maybe 10%. Died due to the shock cannon. No check point during the fight or anything. 😭😭😭😭

If you're
near him when he goes into that mode, run towards him and get as close as possible, it'll give you a chance to shoot the floating boy and disable Sahelanthropus for a moment - otherwise yeah it's a pretty annoying attack since it basically a one shot kill if you're not behind cover.

If you're
near him when he goes into that mode, run towards him and get as close as possible, it'll give you a chance to shoot the floating boy and disable Sahelanthropus for a moment - otherwise yeah it's a pretty annoying attack since it basically a one shot kill if you're not behind cover.

iirc it goes through cover. you have to run like hell horizontally. I learned that the hard way lol

I've never been very great at MGS games. I've always enjoyed them but I hope I don't have to S tehse Subsistence and Extreme missions, I'm so bad at them :(

edit: Tried my first C2W a few times and just get spotted so often. How do you get better at this?

iirc it goes through cover. you have to run like hell horizontally. I learned that the hard way lol

It does but he can't track you through cover, it draws the target area in dots the same way as your support weapons do so you can tell when you're safe.

Edit: I guess you're talking about the close attack and not the distant one.

Durden77

Man fuck this. I'm trying to do the optional objectives, and I just spent no shit around 45 mins on "Back up, Back down" (the one where you have to destroy tanks within a time limit) doing them all. When I extracted, no shit, the very last of the 3 last tanks, I got shot and killed by some postmen.

It wants me to start ALL THE WAY OVER.

Man, fuck that. Fuck that hard. I think it's about time to finally give this game a break for a while. At 65% now.

RedSwirl

I'm coming up on 60 hours and haven't even reached mission 20 yet. How's that compared to most people's runs?

I'm not deliberately going for 100% but I am doing every side op, and now I'm trying to run around and complete as many optional objectives in each new main mission, or at least the optional objectives I care about. I plan to go back and do some of the optional objectives for like the first 10 missions.

BPoole

Man fuck this. I'm trying to do the optional objectives, and I just spent no shit around 45 mins on "Back up, Back down" (the one where you have to destroy tanks within a time limit) doing them all. When I extracted, no shit, the very last of the 3 last tanks, I got shot and killed by some postmen.

It wants me to start ALL THE WAY OVER.

Man, fuck that. Fuck that hard. I think it's about time to finally give this game a break for a while. At 65% now.

65% of what? That's the 9th mission. I have cleared all the missions and done ~90 side missions and am only at 68%

Top Bottom