• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Ashura_MX

I have spoiled everything and pretty much lived on this thread. I'm at 48% just past white mamba mission.

I am pissed with the marketing bullshit we were told, but was not delivered in the end (unless you want to meta-bullshit me into thinking it was).

However the game has been great and even if the side ops are silly grind, I'm not skilled enough so even though they just increase one or two soldiers or add more snipers, feels fresh enough for me. I basically grind side ops and when I run out of side ops I advance the story.

Its an impressive game on playstation 3 because it does all that the current gen consoles do, just longer load times.

Veredict: S+ would bitch about the story and play it again despite all its gameplay "flaws".

4jjiyoon

Came here to ask the same thing.
This place is so huge but I can't enter any doors. Where is everybody? Kaz, Ocelot,
I also have Quit and Emmerich under custody
but I have no fucking idea where they are, lol.
I guess I need to explore more. My time is just so limited that I feel like I'm wasting it by running around motherbase.
I'm not far into the game yet but this place seriously needs more interactivity.

i wish you could see what points mother base you can interact with, maybe on your idroid. it seems most of it is just dead ends.

I have spoiled everything and pretty much lived on this thread. I'm at 48% just past white mamba mission.

I am pissed with the marketing bullshit we were told, but was not delivered in the end (unless you want to meta-bullshit me into thinking it was).

However the game has been great and even if the side ops are silly grind, I'm not skilled enough so even though they just increase one or two soldiers or add more snipers, feels fresh enough for me. I basically grind side ops and when I run out of side ops I advance the story.

Its an impressive game on playstation 3 because it does all that the current gen consoles do, just longer load times.

Veredict: S+ would bitch about the story and play it again despite all its gameplay "flaws".

I got spoiled early on of the "big twist", and it kinda pissed me off but I feel like that and knowing exactly what to do in Chapter 2 helped me, because I really enjoyed the game.

My veredit is: Unfinished as fuck game(I stil can't believe the final mission of the game and not having Mission
), repetitive at times(literally if you consider Ch.2), disappointing story, stupid F2P microtransaction crap(ironic cause you can't even pay to make it faster), and yet I still think the game is amazing. Motherfucking 10/10.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man I've been doing the Challenges for the One, and I have to say that the art rewards for doing them suck. It's just the Ground Zeroes title menu.

Damn, I didn't know that
there was a fight. I shot Liquid in the head with a tranq.

I had to fight him but just shot him with the tranq. gun as well. If you actually complete the fight you get the cutscene from the E3 trailer where Eli attacks you with the chair.

Timeaisis

This fucks me off no end.

All it does is taint someone's opinion before they get to form it themselves. It's one thing to broadly share disappointment, quite another to directly scupper one's excitement with crypto-smug comments like that. No one will ever thank them for it, so I'm not sure what the benefit is except the potential chance to go "I TOLD YOU SO!!!11!1!!" later down the road, which is twatish to the nth degree.

Yeah, there's a lot of negativity. I finished the game a few days ago, and, while I was a little disappointed with the ending, it wasn't this soul crushing, earth shattering shit festival everyone made it out to be (at least to me).

I mean, I didn't love the ending. But it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen or anything. If you keep your expectations in check it's decent.

Also, I don't even think the story in this game is particularly bad. It's disappointing as a fan of the series, but as a standalone videogame story it's alright. Even interesting sometimes.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, there's a lot of negativity. I finished the game a few days ago, and, while I was a little disappointed with the ending, it wasn't this soul crushing, earth shattering shit festival everyone made it out to be (at least to me).

I mean, I didn't love the ending. But it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen or anything. If you keep your expectations in check it's decent.

Also, I don't even think the story in this game is particularly bad. It's disappointing as a fan of the series, but as a standalone videogame story it's alright. Even interesting sometimes.

I actually spoiler-tagged my entire reply not to give anything away.

I suppose by "keeping expectations in check" you mean "don't believe the trailers and ignore half of Kojima's twitter posts", because MGSV doesn't deliver on at least half the things promised in the trailers and Kojima's twitter.

If you've finished the game, go and rewatch the Nuclear and Alegia trailers and tell me how much of the atmosphere and narrative from those trailers is actually in the game.

RETRIBUTION
REVENGE
THE MISSING LINK
MEN BECOMING DEMONS

..give me a break. The actualy game is drastically different than what was indicated by trailers. Kojima used almost literally every cutscene from the game to cut together a non-existing story in his trailers, and that is a dick move.

Qwell

Well my cousin helped me fix my processing materials issue while idle. If you want to process materials while you are away from your computer or console, just hop into the back of a truck without being seen. Lay down in the back and as the truck drives around from outpost to checkpoint etc it will trigger an auto save at each outpost and checkpoint. Its during these save triggers that you will process materials. I went and gathered over 100k resources on mission
30 using the raiden suit and stealth camo just fulton all the cargo and tanks
, only took about 30-40 minutes. Had about 80k of it processed by the time I woke up this morning.

I should have my base fully built and everything developed with this technique by the end of the weekend.

Lanrutcon

Found a bug.

Tranqed some wild dogs behind a rock, then later some guards wandered passed the location after spotting me. They freak out at aggressive wildlife: tranqed or not. Then they started shooting at the dogs, but the dogs were behind a rock so the shots couldn't hit them. They just kept shooting over and over and over. Stood and watched them for a few minutes, then decided I wanted their guns.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well my cousin helped me fix my processing materials issue while idle. If you want to process materials while you are away from your computer or console, just hop into the back of a truck without being seen. Lay down in the back and as the truck drives around from outpost to checkpoint etc it will trigger an auto save at each outpost and checkpoint. Its during these save triggers that you will process materials. I went and gathered over 100k resources on mission
30 using the raiden suit and stealth camo just fulton all the cargo and tanks
, only took about 30-40 minutes. Had about 80k of it processed by the time I woke up this morning.

I should have my base fully built and everything developed with this technique by the end of the weekend.

Its amazing you got R&D high enough to make that suit. I wish it just unlocked for you after S ranking the missions. My R&D is still hanging at level 39. Such a slog.

Ashura_MX

Kojima used almost literally every cutscene from the game to cut together a non-existing story in his trailers, and that is a dick move.

Absolutely agree with this, which is.. really my only concern (so far) with the game (game being a MGS game) as mentioned a few posts above as a stand alone non-MGS game its got great-ish story (Chapter 1) and excellent gameplay.

Setsuna

I really want the
Raiden
Suit but them S ranks are to much for me and limiting what I can do in the mission is just wrong

Qwell

I actually spoiler-tagged my entire reply not to give anything away.

I suppose by "keeping expectations in check" you mean "don't believe the trailers and ignore half of Kojima's twitter posts", because MGSV doesn't deliver on at least half the things promised in the trailers and Kojima's twitter.

If you've finished the game, go and rewatch the Nuclear and Alegia trailers and tell me how much of the atmosphere and narrative from those trailers is actually in the game.

RETRIBUTION
REVENGE
THE MISSING LINK
MEN BECOMING DEMONS

..give me a break. The actualy game is drastically different than what was indicated by trailers. Kojima used almost literally every cutscene from the game to cut together a non-existing story in his trailers, and that is a dick move.

RETRIBUTION
== I think
Quiet's story arch would cover redemption, maybe even revenge, she wanted to finish the job, but in the end she was on Boss side and sacrificed herself to save him
REVENGE
==
Huey definitely got his revenge, at least in my game where he deals the killing blow to Skullface for years of suffering. But at the same time you could say Miller got his as well.
THE MISSING LINK
==
no idea, I don't really follow the MGS story lines because they are crap to begin with. They have some great gameplay though!
MEN BECOMING DEMONS
==
you do have to kill a ton of your own men in this game, not to mention the virus that literally turns men into zombies ...aka demons?

Qwell

I really want the
Raiden
Suit but them S ranks are to much for me and limiting what I can do in the mission is just wrong
Honestly just watch the youtube guides out there, none of the S ranks gave me an issue after watching them. Most of them are about simply skipping cut-scenes and just running right to the objective. It's all about the time bonus, you can usually get spotted by every enemy but it doesn't matter because you will get 140k to 170k just in time bonus and 130k points at the end of a mission is S rank.

Qwell

Its amazing you got R&D high enough to make that suit. I wish it just unlocked for you after S ranking the missions. My R&D is still hanging at level 39. Such a slog.
You can do it without that suit, it just slows you down a tad, but there are also other missions that can get you resources, some of the even faster. If all you need is fuel just do mission 12. There is no helo intro it starts right on the ground. Only thing you need is a special fulton to get the cargo containers. Skip cutscene, fulton 2x enemies, fulton 3x cargo containers, pickup intel which triggers save that extracts the stuff. Then restart mission, everything is back in place and you get to fulton everything again rinse and repeat. Takes literally 1 minute, also my R&D was that high because I did a lot of farming early on, I would love just running around fultoning all the guys I could, doing side ops and stuff. I also built up my FOB and focused on only 2 things really, base development and R&D.

muteki

may be the tone the trailers set for the game, to be honest the trailers seemed like the game was heavily story driven, may be that's why people are mad about the game

Well, as someone who really liked the tone of Ground Zeros I would say I'm fairly disappointed there isn't much of that here in Phantom Pain past the intro, though I haven't quite finished Ch1 yet.

Markoman

I have an important question. What's the benefit of using supply-drop-grenades for ammo and silencers instead of using iDroid? Yeah, I know it's quicker and works on the fly. But what is the purpose of having more than one and even being able to upgrade the amount? On level 1 you can carry 4 units, but when you throw one the amount will be replenished when you pick up the supplies. You can throw 4 in quick sucsession but supplies will only be dropped once.
Is this a design error or do they have a hidden side-effect like
the water pistol or decoys permanently distracting zombies
?????

Timeaisis

Man, Subsistence version of
Occupation Forces
was really fun. I had to think pretty creatively because you start with nothing.

I snuck up high on the ride and took out the guy in the guardpost (scoring a Honey Bee) and taking out the dude below both with CQC. I grab a rifle.

I go back on the ridge to sneak into the base, but the sniper spots me. They start mortaring the area, too. Shit. I pull out the honey bee and start blowing up their gun emplacements (mortars, MGs, etc.). Afterwards, I find a place to hide to cool down.

Now I take it pretty stealth here because I really don't have lots of ammo. I sneak my way into the base slowly, grab the intel, taking out whoever I can quietly.

I get to the road and wait for the convoy. A tank, a truck, and then another tank. I have one mine and like two shots in the Honeybee left, so I really don't have much in the way of explosives for dealing with the tanks and the truck.

I wait for them to come by, then start sprinting behind the tailing tank to follow. I wait for an area in the road where there's lots of grass and rocks and then fire a single shot into the air, alerting them of suspicion. The tank in front of me stops, I quickly fulton it, and then dive into the grassy area. They notice something is unusual, investigate, and then get back in the truck. I jump in the back and wait it out as they continue to drive to their destination.

They're getting pretty close to the base now so I have to make my final move. I fire another shot into the air while in the back and they stop, suspicious. I leap out of the truck and run to the tank before it spins its gun towards me and fulton it quickly. I spin around as the two soldiers leave the truck and quickly headshot them both with my rifle in reflex mode. I fulton the truck and it's mission complete.

Good stuff. Love how you have to just make do with what you've got. Wish we could do this for every mission. I've never hitched a ride in a truck before this heh.

calder

Game just called me to motherbase on a highly critical matter.

AMBUSH AT THE HELI PAD

SNAKE BREAKS OUT HIS PISTOL

WILL HE SURVIVE?!?!

...and then everyone sings happy birthday to me.

AND THEN QUIET TRIES TO KILL ME

Won't spoil the rest. Buttom line? play the game on your birthday?

Haha, this just happened to me. I'm took the day off because it's my birthday and was playing a few Side Ops when I was called back to base. Good times.

Yeah, the situation resolved itself.

By the way, do enemies that you have choked out (not killed) wake up eventually?
They won't if you shove them in a toilet or dumpster.
You can also kick them awake and immediately hold them up, they'll stay down forever unless discovered or an alert is raised.

Deleted the game or deleted the save? I'm pretty sure that they're two separate things. You'd have to separately delete the save to lose your stuff.

I just checked and the save was still there thankfully. Would've been super mad if I had to get my developments all over again.

Grudy

Small spoiler about the last 2 missions.

Would there be a problem if I did mission
46 before 45? Do they affect each other in any way?

Astral

What's the point of fultoning mortars and turrets and stuff? After a while you hit a cap to how many you can have in your base right? Should I stop taking them? Vehicles too. Should I just bother fultoning the ones I don't have?

brau

What's the point of fultoning mortars and turrets and stuff? After a while you hit a cap to how many you can have in your base right? Should I stop taking them? Vehicles too. Should I just bother fultoning the ones I don't have?

If you have a lot of them you can sell them for GMP.

Pez

Can someone reply to me in black blocks what's the best way to approach chapter two? Can't seem to find it in this thread. =)

Qwell

Can someone reply to me in black blocks what's the best way to approach chapter two? Can't seem to find it in this thread. =)
I believe you also want to listen to all tapes that are marked in yellow and make sure you listen to them all the way so the dot is removed from them.

Anyone know how long FOB captured soldiers have to sit in the online brig before I get them?

I raided an FOB this morning on PC. Guy had to be cheating. Three struts full of soldiers, all S rank in every category and 95% female. I Fulton'd out about 30 of em and wanna know how long before I can use em.

malfcn

Mission 30 and now it feels like bat shit Kojima. What is this Act 1 talk?

With caution, if you grab someone you can let them go and then hold them up to silently lay them down. Occasionally they retaliate.

Vuze

Hm, sidemission 150 doesn't unlock for me.

The article I found said: "You must have recruited Quiet (check), max out your bond with her (check), spare her at the end of Mission 11 (check), and have the
scientist exiled
from Mother Base (check). This will unlock Side Op 150 for play.

Anything else I've got to do?

Top Bottom