• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

GAF, help me understand how people have gotten 4/4 on all of their MB platforms. The amount of fuel you need is STAGGERING. Even if you're playing 24/7, I find it hard to believe that you could process all of that fuel. How the hell.

Did Mission 43...

Man, that was something. I really could not see David Hayter doing a better job for Snake in scenes like this. Kiefer is really touching, and does a strong delivery. It was a touching scene.

Also! I've been digging the FOB mode. I have invaded a lot, and today started to get invaded. The good thing is that my staff stopped two invaders. The bad thing is that one invader came with grenade launcher and the fulton
wormhole
. My staff just standed there, even if this guy walked in front of them. When I had a chance to stop him, he shot a grenade and while I was respawning he went into the goal. My staff didn't even move a centimeter. What a bullshit thing.

Of course, I retaliate. Couldn't make it to the goal, but extracted a lot of resources and like 20 staff members of that guy. The chain of retaliation....

Did Mission 43...

Man, that was something. I really could not see David Hayter doing a better job for Snake in scenes like this. Kiefer is really touching, and does a strong delivery. It was a touching scene.

I said the exact same thing a couple days ago (Mission 43)
there are times I miss Hayter but I can't imagine his voice tone hitting me as hard as Kiefer when he says "I won't scatter your ashes to the heartless sea," "you're all diamonds" q_q

malfcn

SO yeah, how do I get more missions? I have a mission on base stuff..so I have to wait for a timer on a luck based mission?

that also explains why that mission has so many effing soldiers lol

normally bases never reinforce like that.... they come from other outposts and that's it... there's never 'spawning' of troops, just actual across-the-map reinforcements

obviously that mission has spawning tho hahaha pretty cool way to do it tho, exactly like a FOB invader defense ;p

explains how I got almost 90 neutralizations on that effing mission =p i was like, wtf are all these guys coming from?!

Haunted

SO yeah, how do I get more missions? I have a mission on base stuff..so I have to wait for a timer on a luck based mission?
Not luck nor timer based, just completing missions. Check off the yellow tapes and keep completing side ops or replay older main missions. It'll automatically port you back to MB after you finish up enough of them and the next cutscene/mission triggers.

malfcn

What is this!?

My game is bugged out....

Mines, decoys, smoke, stun, grenades...all of them..

Disappear. Nothing happens.

Not luck nor timer based, just completing missions. Check off the yellow tapes and keep completing side ops or replay older main missions. It'll automatically port you back to MB after you finish up enough of them and the next cutscene/mission triggers.

That's fucking stupid.
They only yellow thing I have is the combat deployment mission. And that is 70-95% success rate.

Mission
taught me a very useful fact
destroyed Gunships don't count as kills

There was also a bit of cheese
if you attack the chopper next to a checkpoint, the checkpoint will actually keep intact how much you've damaged it between retries.

Tiktaalik

Mission 22
has no redeeming qualities. And you can actually fail the first time, causing some of your teams to level down. Every time I make it to the top, I knock out the boss and his group, only to have five other guys appear from nowhere as I'm about to fulton him. I know it's an easy mission, but I'm so annoyed that I just want to quit playing until tomorrow. Can't think straight. (This is my second playthrough)

I hated this mission.

For me I didn't even really succeed. The target accidentally killed himself via grenade and I won. I accepted that and moved on.

Just completed Chapter 1 and it seems like Chapter 2 is
mainly the same missions? At least two out of three available to me right now are the same missions I've done before.
Either way the game is too damn fun.

Just completed Chapter 1 and it seems like Chapter 2 is
mainly the same missions? At least two out of three available to me right now are the same missions I've done before.
Either way the game is too damn fun.

The repeat missions are optional, only the missions marked as yellow (like important side ops would be marked yellow) are required, as far as I know.

wiibomb

Did Mission 43...

I JUST finished that mission.. I'm devastated..

When I entered the room on the basement with all the infected soldiers, what they said "we live and die for you boss" and "let the boss decide"

They saluted until the end, don't know if it was Kojima, but some genious also put the Peace Walker Theme in the tape of that room, holy shit, the mood... i really felt that.

Defended my FOB for the first time.

Hit the invader with a sleep round from the Fakel grenade launcher and wormholed him out.

Then I went and invaded his FOB as retaliation and died from a damned claymore. FOB stuff seems heavily in favor of the defender.

Some guy made off with 20 of my guys earlier today, tried to get them back but died -- I made sure to put some anti-material rounds through a bunch of his guys' heads, though. Oh well, I don't need A++ guys anymore. Though, it's still really fucking dumb that the shit you spent dozens of hours accumulating can be taken from you.

looks like a leftover ability from an enemy type that didn't make it into the game :p

pretty cool.

It's the enemy reinforcements spawning, seriously. When you get into a combat alert and the enemy calls in reinforcements, they'll spawn from nowhere. I think this video is just showing they actually gave that an animation (like how your buddies will fade into view if you spot where they're spawning from) instead of just having them pop in.

To anyone having problems on Mission 45:

Research the FB-whatev missile launcher as high as you can. Fully upgraded, it will take out APCs in 1-2 hits and tanks in 3-4, depending on where you hit them.

Makes the mission very easy. And stay in the starting clearing, using the container/scaffold to block tank rounds.

Renewed

Did missions 33 and 34 and
I really hope there are plenty more like those. OSP was pretty fun and bringing my best for Backup Back Down was intense, barely made it out with an S rank. Although for mission 34, I hit one of the armoured vehicles with my CGM head on and it did a flip, landed on its back and exploded... I'll take it

neoism

got back into this... totally quit for like 2 weeks because of destiny lol played though missions 24-29
man 29.... damn... so the quiet glitch is 100% fixed right i used her even though she was kind of useless...
hell even 28 was crazy 100% stealth it though....

Ludens

Banned
Got all staff members up to lv. 50 by stealing the hell out of soldiers via FOB,
I miss only one achievement, the one for completing all missions with bonus objectives (I think actually I completed just five of them with all objectives lol), that will take a lot and, at least for now, after 100 hours I spent on this, I think I'll log in just to take daily rewards and that's it. Maybe I'll replay some missions when I'll be bored from time to time during following months, but I feel like I did all the possibile here.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That feeling when you've been trying to S a mission for 40 minutes only to realize you're wearing the infinite bandanna. sigh..

I just realized. All the issues regarding traveling in this game could have been solved in an instant if they just let the players fulton Boss to fast travel. It would cut down on the constant waiting for the helicopter, and traveling across the empty world.

Like really, why the hell can't you do that?

Because it would make an issue of why the boss just doesn't fulton himself out of every situation?

Just have Miller tell the player he can't do it fast with enemies around because of all the equipment he's carrying, or that his life isn't worth the risk if it's not a 100% sure thing. And it's not like this world is realistic or anything. Players would accept that as a reason if it was advantageous to smoother faster gameplay.

I just realized. All the issues regarding traveling in this game could have been solved in an instant if they just let the players fulton Boss to fast travel. It would cut down on the constant waiting for the helicopter, and traveling across the empty world.

Like really, why the hell can't you do that?

Because it would make an issue of why the boss just doesn't fulton himself out of every situation?

Just have Miller tell the player he can't do it fast with enemies around because of all the equipment he's carrying, or that his life isn't worth the risk if it's not a 100% sure thing. And it's not like this world is realistic or anything. Players would accept that as a reason if it was advantageous to smoother faster gameplay.

That's kind of already a thing via pause>return to acc

Roussow

It can be a valid way if you're going for the no traces bonus.

I only found it useful for mission 13? The help rebels take out tanks mission. That's the only one I got that bonus on, or even needed it for. Every other mission can basically be done sub 12 minutes, which is just way easier -- of course there's a fair bit of restarting from checkpoints, but I just found it my preferred method of efficient S-ranking -- of course this varies.

That's kind of already a thing via pause>return to acc

Yeah, but I mean fulton yourself to other sides of the map.

It's not like most of the map isn't empty.

Continuously having to set down in the same place after waiting through the landing sequence seriously limits the flow of the game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Only use such methods for the mission tasks, makes things much easier but that also means you'll have to play each mission twice at the very least.

Lol. There must be something in the water tonight. I know that the infinite ammo bandanna lowers your mission grade to an A automatically. I have two bandannas. One is just a cosmetic bandanna and the other gives you infinite ammo. I was wearing the infinite ammo one for free roam but forgot to switch back to the regular one for a story mission. I kept getting A's on that mission for 40 minutes before I realized I still had the infinite ammo bandanna equipped instead of the regular one. I hope I articulated that clearly.

Lol. There must be something in the water tonight. I know that the infinite ammo bandanna lowers your mission grade to an A automatically. I have two bandannas. One is just a cosmetic bandanna and the other gives you infinite ammo. I was wearing the infinite ammo one for free roam but forgot to switch back to the regular one for a story mission. I kept getting A's on that mission for 40 minutes before I realized I still had the infinite ammo bandanna equipped instead of the regular one. I hope I articulated that clearly.

Oh no no, I understand what you said. I was just providing you a tip and I wasn't clear on that haha, I'm going for the S ranks + mission tasks myself at the moment.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times (tried googling but I didn't get a straight answer and I want to avoid spoilers as much as I can).

Just finished the prologue - now I'm staring at a screen telling me to wait about ~10,000 seconds while the game installs...at first I thought this was some meta-joke about 4's long install times but now I see it's for real. Could the long amount be due to me having a digital version of the game? (Dashboard tells me I've downloaded 17gb out of 27gb so far).

SJRB

Gold Member
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times (tried googling but I didn't get a straight answer and I want to avoid spoilers as much as I can).

Just finished the prologue - now I'm staring at a screen telling me to wait about ~10,000 seconds while the game installs...at first I thought this was some meta-joke about 4's long install times but now I see it's for real. Could the long amount be due to me having a digital version of the game? (Dashboard tells me I've downloaded 17gb out of 27gb so far).

Well, yes. The game installs in the background during the prologue, but since you're going digital it first has to download the rest of the game. Given PSN's ridiculously slow download speeds you have no choice but to wait it out.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Oh no no, I understand what you said. I was just providing you a tip and I wasn't clear on that haha, I'm going for the S ranks + mission tasks myself at the moment.

It's late lol. Yea I'm sorry your tip flew right over my head. I'm probably going to complete all the objectives after I wrap up getting S's on every mission. I'm gonna pair up completing objectives with my emblem run. I figure that will make it less tedious, plus i get to work off some of the repression of being a strictly non lethal/stealth player.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
God dammit, trying to do these side ops to make the final 3 unique story missions pop.

Ugh.

Also, it's happened once before but us there a quick extract after finishing a side op?

I did one earlier and called the chopper as soon as I extracted the prisoner, and instead of running back to the chopper the camera zoomed in on snake's face and I finished the mission.

Any input?

now that I'm done with the main story, I can see how some, if not most, people would be cheesed off at the ending

Big Boss is gonna get some weird looks based on how I made my avatar lol

Ending was...alright. At least with that out of the way, I can finish the Side Ops and build my FOB

Top Bottom