• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Haunted

i thought the subject matter of the code talker stuff was interesting. it's just that, rather than being explained via well-written conversation, it's instead reduced to code talker reading a lengthy cross between a textbook & a wikipedia entry :) ...

the whole tape thing was absolutely done to death in this game...
Well-written conversation? When was that ever a thing with MGS. :lol Sounds like you haven't listened to codec calls in MGS3 or 4 lately - the completely obnoxious textbook/wikipedia style exposition dumps are exactly Kojima's style of writing.

I'm very happy with whoever on the team managed to make that shit non-mandatory for this one.

i thought the subject matter of the
code talker
stuff was interesting. it's just that, rather than being explained via well-written conversation, it's instead reduced to
code talker
reading a lengthy cross between a textbook & a wikipedia entry :) ...

the whole tape thing was absolutely done to death in this game...

To me they bring back a lot of the excessive scientific explanation codec calls from MGS1 & 2. :p

A friend of mine just gave me his PS3 copy since he "doesn't ever want to replay it" but... I don't have the strength to go through this again.

Does anyone else feel completely burnt on the game? Like, you're so disappointed that you sort of never want to touch the game again? (outside of MG:O)

Lanrutcon

Wish heavy armor wasn't so common late game. It's super cheap, and weapons with high penetration are gated behind stupidly high base levels.

I am convinced MGSV is a decent stealth game buried under a much more prevalent action game.

Wish heavy armor wasn't so common late game. It's super cheap, and weapons with high penetration are gated behind stupidly high base levels.

I am convinced MGSV is a decent stealth game buried under a much more prevalent action game.
Pretty easy to just go and choke them out.

A friend of mine just gave me his PS3 copy since he "doesn't ever want to replay it" but... I don't have the strength to go through this again.

Does anyone else feel completely burnt on the game? Like, you're so disappointed that you sort of never want to touch the game again? (outside of MG:O)
I was so burnt out I didn't even care about MG:O. Sold the game to BB for money to spend on P4D or FO4.

bomma_man

Well-written conversation? When was that ever a thing with MGS. :lol Sounds like you haven't listened to codec calls in MGS3 or 4 lately - the completely obnoxious textbook/wikipedia style exposition dumps are exactly Kojima's style of writing.

I'm very happy with whoever on the team managed to make that shit non-mandatory for this one.

lol exactly

Colonel: that's [x]

Snake: [x]?!?!

Colonel: [five minute exposition dump about [x]]

Restrictions like that are the only reason stealth is viable, and more to the point, fun. After all, there's more to stealth than just tranqs.

Lanrutcon

Pretty easy to just go and choke them out.

One day I'll get to research carrying more than 4 sleep grenades, which will help a ton I think.

Restrictions like that are the only reason stealth is viable, and more to the point, fun. After all, there's more to stealth than just tranqs.

Restrictions like those are the reason I've bound my left click to Airstrike. Stealth can suck it in a world with magical Kevlar platemail and cosmic rust parasites.

Used to be. Now I need to use tools to engage them. Even my normal outposts are packing up to 8 dudes. I mean the tiny outposts that barely qualify as a structure. One day I'll get to research carrying more than 4 sleep grenades, I guess.

Use deployments to restrict the availability of full-body armour.

bomma_man

Use quiet as a diversion

Come from behind

Choke and/or use smoke and sleep grenades

Funnest way to do heavy artillery side ops

Used to be. Now I need to use tools to engage them. Even my normal outposts are packing up to 8 dudes. I mean the tiny outposts that barely qualify as a structure. One day I'll get to research carrying more than 4 sleep grenades, I guess.
Aren't there also deployment missions you can do to lower the amount of heavy armor?

it's fun plinking soldiers in the helmet :D

haha i mean it's not exactly being successful since it's 13 shots to the head and yet only 3 kills.... but the sort of sound and repetition is oddly satisfying

but then you get the anti-material rifle for the first time....

oooooooh is that thing satisfying the first time you put a single shot cleanly through a heavy's helmet, just boom! especially when the boom is accompanied by the side-op-complete sound effect.

i think that's gotta be my most satisfying sound in the game... the six million dollar man punch or the plastic bullets of the riot SMG are pretty good too (especially for Mission 23 haha)... or you use the plastic bullet UN assault rifle to headshot KO a sheep haha... but plinking a guard in the helmet and knocking it off with a Renov, or just taking his head off completely with the anti-material... oh so good.

Lanrutcon

Use deployments to restrict the availability of full-body armour.

I have suspicions about this.

1) I do the offline ones frequently, and the rate at which I lower the distribution is heavily outmatched by the rate they simply switch back. My icons are red all the time, and only go back down for a mission (or two), then shoot back up to red.

2) A lot of enemies are static in missions. Like that one with the crates and the time limit: every single soldier in the jungle was in full heavy armor. I think that's static and unaffected by deployments.

3) I've noticed that completing missions without engaging the enemy lowers the icon state a lot. So sometimes I just spam 3 minute missions you can S rank without touching an enemy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Forward Operating Bases is pretty shitty. Everyone is geared up for Lethal and you can't really set traps without a guncam or something fucking you over. Tranq's don't work because everyone is geared up with riot armor that prevents you from being able to even tag them.

Ugh. A neat idea with some pretty bad balancing right now. It's possible to win since I've done it a few times but it's just horrible to set yourself up for stealth to cap people and then have a guncam that you didn't see on the initial hover (why does it auto put you off the helicopter when you haven't done a full circle? Let me actually RECON until I feel ready?) is ugh. Double so when Noct. won't even see it for you since it isn't human. Ugh ugh ugh.

Alucrid

Banned
So I have 21 side ops left, beat all missions sans 46
need to upgrade mother base all the way
do i have to do that before i unlock those last ones?

Grimsen

Today I learned that there are two ways to throw a grenade, a shorter range (~30m) one and one that lobs them much farther (over 50m). Sleep grenades were already OP, with that longer range they're just cray cray.

How exactly? I aim using L2, and find the range pretty lame. Also when you aim far, at a certain point Snake is looking in the air and you can't even see your target anymore. :/

some missions seem to have static equipment sets... or at least some of the 'extreme' ones later where you can control deployment less. i haven't been able to get rid of some of their helmets, heavy armor.

but it definitely effects free roam and some other missions, especially those you start from in-the-field rather than the ACC, I see it take effect often as I'm raiding random outposts and I go back and forth to the ACC after a helmet supply attack deployment is successful.

WOO! I DID IT! 182 hours on the Steam version, but it was all worth it.

Lfel100percentMGSV.jpg

Lack of money and resources is starting to get on my nerves, I have like 30 items(plus buddy stuff) to create but there's no way to get enough money, and don't even make mention respurces.

I finally get my FOB and I plan to go offline from now on, with the amount of grinding involved the less I need is get my resources stolen.

They somehow managed to make the whole MB stuff even worse than PW, and that's saying something...

Palpable

I stole 4
nukes
off some guy's FOB. Doesn't show up on my resources list, yet it shows up on my FOB. I don't get it. Can someone explain this to me? I want to decommission some of them for the trophy.

Haunted

How exactly? I aim using L2, and find the range pretty lame. Also when you aim far, at a certain point Snake is looking in the air and you can't even see your target anymore. :/
Hold R2 instead of tapping it while aiming to get the longer arc preview. Let go to throw.

lcap

Guys, I've just completed mission 19 and
it just unlocked my battle gear construction site on R&D platform but I can't access the yellow and important part that is inside the platform. Do you have any idea how to do it?

Guys, I've just completed mission 19 and
it just unlocked my battle gear construction site on R&D platform but I can't access the yellow and important part that is inside the platform. Do you have any idea how to do it?

there's some stairs going down to the lab. Look for some signs with hueys head on them.

malfcn

How do I get new missions?

The first destroy the transmitter has me stumped. U threw a grenade and shot bee at them and do damage. Grenade didn't go off, and rocket didn't boom.

Kept failing a mission over and over and over

Restarted it and dropped in at night, went very smooth and got an A

I don't think the mission can even be completed in daylight, kinda frustrating

Ashura_MX

If you get stuck on a mission hold up a few guards they will usually ppoint you in the right direction.

As for missions you just complete them and the important sideops

Lolcomin

Banned
Kept failing a mission over and over and over

Restarted it and dropped in at night, went very smooth and got an A

I don't think the mission can even be completed in daylight, kinda frustrating
Missions mad easy in the daylight, I even wear the sneaking suit so it's harder for me

rtcn63

Mission 22
has no redeeming qualities. And you can actually fail the first time, causing some of your teams to level down. Every time I make it to the top, I knock out the boss and his group, only to have five other guys appear from nowhere as I'm about to fulton him. I know it's an easy mission, but I'm so annoyed that I just want to quit playing until tomorrow. Can't think straight. (This is my second playthrough)

Oh wow, reinforcement spawning in that video actually has an animation. I always just assumed reinforcements spawned with no fanfare (you can see them spawn if you're looking at your idroid and intel points their location.)

Thanks! I found it but is there something important to do there besides watching Huey in a platform I can't reach?

I'm not through with the game yet but so far there's only been one more cutscene there. And i use that term loosely. I've heard nothing ever really happens with it which is a bit puzzling.

I kind of feel bad for doing almost every single mission at night time... It's just a lot easier bc of how easily you get spotted in the daytime. Or maybe I just need to use the different outfits to fit the environment. I probably would if you could switch them on the fly.

Hopeford

Put the game aside for a while when college started, started it up today and I was on red for GMP and lost a ton of my best soldiers due to being invaded too many times apparently. Which...ehhh it kinda sucks for me.

I guess I should start the game with steam on offline mode next time since I don't feel like I have the time to get invested in the online component of the game but can still be affected by it. That should stop invasions and stuff right?

Like it's not a huge deal either way, the gear I have right now is more than enough to finish the game, just feels like the online element is getting in the way for me since I don't have the time to play it. Wish it wasn't on by default.

Quick

Banned
Got Quiet equipped with a tranq sniper rifle, it's seriously a breeze tranqing high value soldiers for recruitment. I should relish this before the game gets tougher.

I've just been running side missions with Quiet, and our bond level is quickly climbing. Faster than DD or D-Horse. Kind of sucks not being able to have D-Walker equipped with Quiet. I guess the devs figured it would be too OP.

I already started noticing soldiers with heavy armour. I sent out some soldiers to cut off supply for these, as well as flashlights, helmets, and shotguns.

Top Bottom