• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Ridley327

I never expected to have to use machine guns one day as I try to do a zero-kills run so I have to start to develop that weapon line but yeah, it sounds like a solution. Damn the skulls.

FWIW, going lethal on the Skulls is encouraged since you're not penalized for doing so. Especially for that variant, since their armor requires those kinds of weapons to deplete. What you would get penalized for is killing the puppet soldiers that are around, but as long as you're marking, you should be able to keep track of them, especially since they're so slow.

Zakalwe

Banned
What is the best weapon load for fighting the skulls in mission 16 ? I don't have access to the killer bee for now and the regular RPG doesn't seem to have auto-lock.

I have failed twice the mission now so I plan to just use D-horse to run to the truck's location at the airport right at the beginning of the mission and then ask Quiet to cover me for the fight against the skulls, but I still need something to stand my ground against the freaks. Or should I just use a D-walker + shield combo ?

I called in the support heli for an air strike, wiped them out in a single hit.

Lure them away from the truck first.

You could also run them in a huge circle then run back and Fulton the truck. It sometimes takes a few tries as they do jump up and prevent the Fulton, but if you're quick enough you can slip it by them.

Draper

Why, so you can spend real money to buy Konami Bucks and move your FOB to a location that auto-mines more fuel, of course!

To get all the fuel you need, do the side-op of finding the Legendary Jackal to get the Wormhole Fulton upgrade. Then replay Mission 12 and wormhole the materials containers in the cave and pick up the intel file to auto-save, then restart the mission. Repeat until you have as much as you need (fyi, you need about 300k to ax your FOB as well).

You get 7500 fuel and it takes about 2-3 minutes each time. Then you just have to wait for the stuff to be processed, so hop into the back of a truck and lay down/cardboard box and go for a ride. The truck will drive between outposts triggering auto-saves and material processing. Still takes too long, but much faster than replaying missions over and over.

So, would I choose the 'checkpoint' option each time?

About FOBs.

I've been playing offline since the game launched but connected earlier and was locked into building the first free FOB.

I built it - the level 1 Command Platform - but turned offline after.

Is my MB materials etc ok? Are my staff?

Qwell

Hahahahaha. Sounds like the worst advice ever.
Have over 400 hours on the game and still haven't been invaded. I'm also about to have a maxed out FOB. Just upgrade and use it, makes development of weapons and resource processing so much easier.

Demoskinos

What is the best weapon load for fighting the skulls in mission 16 ? I don't have access to the killer bee for now and the regular RPG doesn't seem to have auto-lock.

I have failed twice the mission now so I plan to just use D-horse to run to the truck's location at the airport right at the beginning of the mission and then ask Quiet to cover me for the fight against the skulls, but I still need something to stand my ground against the freaks. Or should I just use a D-walker + shield combo ?

My humble suggestion would be to use DWalker his Gatling Guns should easily shred them pretty easily. He is still fairly mobile and let's you get some amount of cover. The real best way to deal with future encounters with them is Quiet+ Her Sinful Butterfly Anti Tank Rifle. She just mops people up with that thing.

At the pace I'm going now, I will have upgraded all (offline) base areas to 4/4 by simply doing the main missions and about 85% of side ops. Zero farming or repeated missions. I just kept fultoning and snatching whatever resource I came across. Still missed a ton I'm sure, but I was always keeping an eye out.

So, I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but I've been polishing off Side Ops for the last couple of hours, and I've hit a point where I'm just raking in Heroism. I'm getting the usual 200-400ish for completing missions, but then an extra FIVE THOUSAND for... I don't even know. Just every Side Op is giving me 5,000 Heroism points on top of the usual reward. All I can think is that it's a reward to slogging through so many of these things, because it only started happening once I got to around 130-140 out of 157 Side Ops complete.

Gala

Hi! Quick question, I bought the German collectors edition and I read something about missing codes. I found two sheets with codes in the non metal case. Are this all the codes I should have or am I missing something?

So, I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but I've been polishing off Side Ops for the last couple of hours, and I've hit a point where I'm just raking in Heroism. I'm getting the usual 200-400ish for completing missions, but then an extra FIVE THOUSAND for... I don't even know. Just every Side Op is giving me 5,000 Heroism points on top of the usual reward. All I can think is that it's a reward to slogging through so many of these things, because it only started happening once I got to around 130-140 out of 157 Side Ops complete.

I remember getting 5000 heroism for developing all tools, maybe you're completing a specific set of side ops or something similar.

That's the
Caravan
mission right? I just ran around and trigger the skulls before the truck moved. The tanks were still there and I used them to kill the skulls pretty easily. Getting the battle suit helps. Took me a lot of tries but still got an S rank anyway lol.

Damn this mission. I ended up waiting for the convoy on a piece of road, blew up the first tank (C4) and got Quiet to kill the guy driving the truck. The convoy then stops moving. Crouched slowly to towards the tank behind, which triggered the Skulls but they didn't see me. Then I back away slowly(the tank providing cover), wait until they walk a good distance away from the truck, then ran around them in a big semi-circle and fultoned the truck and ran out of zone without being followed.

One time though I ran into the airport, triggered the Skulls and killed 3 using weapon mounts in the airport. The Skulls can't chase you well when you run through buildings and such. There are also a couple of fuel tanks at the airport, which you can bait the Skulls towards and blow up.

duckroll

No matter whether you invade or not, you WILL be invaded if your FOB is a) available to be invaded, b) poorly defended. Not invading other people wouldn't help at all. What would help is investing into the FOB to make it harder or less attractive for people to invade it. Research and upgrade the best security equipment you can, invest more into security, do direct contracts with your S ranked personal and put more into security. Research weapons which can be equipped by security staff. None of this means that you won't be invaded, but it will greatly reduce the success rate of invaders, and the appeal of invading your FOB in the first place, as compared to weaker FOBs ripe for picking.

mcz117chief

So here I am after a week of playing MGSV and despite people telling me that I will regret not fultoning enemies I must say that my base is permanently full with hundred or so peeps in the waiting room almost all the time (unless I decide to fire them all). Fultoning enemies in this game is absolutely unnecessary. The amount of A+ and A volunteers after each mission is more than enough to sustain me (I usually get about 4 A+ and 10 A plus a ton of Bs).

So yeah, my style of playing is totally plausible and I think much more fun since I can just blast through bases instead of stopping next to every soldier to fulton him.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Let her use Wicked butterfly *4. The way I did It she didn't help because I didn't change her suppressor sniper. but I used Grom rocket launcher and Fakel grenade launcher it was very easy and S rank too.

Randam

Why, so you can spend real money to buy Konami Bucks and move your FOB to a location that auto-mines more fuel, of course!

To get all the fuel you need, do the side-op of finding the Legendary Jackal to get the Wormhole Fulton upgrade. Then replay Mission 12 and wormhole the materials containers in the cave and pick up the intel file to auto-save, then restart the mission. Repeat until you have as much as you need (fyi, you need about 300k to ax your FOB as well).

You get 7500 fuel and it takes about 2-3 minutes each time. Then you just have to wait for the stuff to be processed, so hop into the back of a truck and lay down/cardboard box and go for a ride. The truck will drive between outposts triggering auto-saves and material processing. Still takes too long, but much faster than replaying missions over and over.

how/when do you unlook those side ops?

The accompanying tanks, They take a long time to get it down and they have decent firepower.

This is what I did. The great thing is that when the tanks blow up, you don't die, you just get ejected. So I'd roll back (away from the truck to protect it) and just hammer on the skulls. When the tank blew up, I jumped out and got in the other. All this time, I had Quiet sniping their brains. By the time the 2nd tank blew up, there were only 2 left and they were pretty fucked up. I rocket launchered the final ones as they had little health. Then drove away.

I finished Mother Base this morning I think the platform construction ended while I was doing mission 29 and hit 50% completion. I saw people saying that D-Dog was OP but that must have been before they got access to Quiet with a silenced rifle... Goddamn... Oh and I pretty much let her do all the work on those Skull fucks as I ran away since I didn't have the weapons or any strategy for them besides "run".

Randam

I finished Mother Base this morning I think the platform construction ended while I was doing mission 29 and hit 50% completion. I saw people saying that D-Dog was OP but that must have been before they got access to Quiet with a silenced rifle... Goddamn... Oh and I pretty much let her do all the work on those Skull fucks as I ran away since I didn't have the weapons or any strategy for them besides "run".

I switched back to d dog, when almost all enemies started wearing helmets (despite me doing all those combat deployments).
and D Dogs scouting abilities are way better too.

I switched back to d dog, when almost all enemies started wearing helmets (despite me doing all those combat deployments).
and D Dogs scouting abilities are way better too.

Same. There was a mission where I had to rescue someone in a vague area who'd escaped and I just kept running into enemies, almost literally. DDog is so much better for thsoe sorts of situations.

I mean... technically the thing that mimics what you want are the delivery points with the box -- except you can't use it to go everywhere on the map, only to places where there's another delivery point. And then you run the risk of appearing in an area where enemies are around and then they alert lol...

I'll be honest, I hate the box thing. There's not enough of them, and you gotta sneak into an area to use them. Which again, means the fulton thing could have totally worked.

Just give me a fast travel option I can always use providing I'm not close to enemies, and not in alert.

KHlover

Banned
5E9B9CFACB19048272EE5240F828004963B13EB4

Yeesh compared to Snake my Combat Units look like they made a quick trip over to a Mortal Kombat after a mission o_O

malfcn

Genius. Tagging to remember. The requirements are pretty poorly implemented.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What is going on, I'm trying to build those 2 platforms and the timer is just stuck at the end:
12010501_10207773972088321_1545185823872901271_o.jpg

How can I fix this please?

Get back on the ACC.

edit: also, not updating your Base Development first, shit that must have taken forever to get enough resources to update all those other platforms.

Top Bottom