• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

what is this about the 'true' ending? i'm at mission 30.

someone please explain without the use of any spoilers.
It's kind of hard without spoilers but, I'm guessing mission 45 is the "ending" (I still haven't played it because you have to do a certain something to get it. This involves losing something -- to keep it as vague as possible (do you know anything about a certain emblem that does a certain something to the story?). And 46 is the true ending. I just beat 46 so I'm still taking this stuff in myself.

muteki

The way an alert spreads in this game is still awful. Someone sees you and shouts out in surprise, but no one hears it if you are able to subdue them immediately afterwards. If they are subdued a fraction of a second beyond that, and they haven't even done anything in addition to that surprised shout, somehow everyone in the entire base knows exactly where you are.

I don't see why the alerts can't start at a 40m radius, or ideally, go back to MGS3 days of making gunfire or a radio request necessary to alert other enemies. I can't even stand people up during alerts. So frustrating.

I guess it is more of a game balance thing since we have reflex, but I still prefer the soldiers having to phone it in a la mgs 2-3 to what we have now. Having both reflex and radios would be way too easy.

RangerBAD

The way an alert spreads in this game is still awful. Someone sees you and shouts out in surprise, but no one hears it if you are able to subdue them immediately afterwards. If they are subdued a fraction of a second beyond that, and they haven't even done anything in addition to that surprised shout, somehow everyone in the entire base knows exactly where you are.

I don't see why the alerts can't start at a 40m radius, or ideally, go back to MGS3 days of making gunfire or a radio request necessary to alert other enemies. I can't even stand people up during alerts. So frustrating.

Pretty sure it happens when they fire their gun.

conman

Which other Metal Gear games have you played, and did you play/enjoy portable ops or peace walker?
I've played all the main numbered ones, most of them multiple times. Especially enjoyed 1 and 4. Never played the portable games.

But there's undeniably a strong core there with the stealth gameplay during missions and sideops. Ultimately, I don't think it's a bad game. If a game has such a strong core, I don't think it can be considered straight up bad, even if the structure and story around that core gameplay are not to your tastes. Basically, if a game really nailes one core aspect yet fails in others, it deserves a more differentiated critical analysis than "it's bad/it's good".
Fair enough. I just hate the feeling of having to interrupt my good time all the time with all the other elements of the game. I just want to play an awesome stealth-action game without all the management sim elements and equipment grinding.

Playing MGSV is like having great sex, but constantly being interrupted by someone knocking on the door telling me I need to go mow the lawn and make some business calls before I can get back to it. At a certain point, I start to think I can have good sex elsewhere. Maybe not as great, but without all the constant hassle. Is that "bad"? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's certainly a problem. And like I said before, it's undeniably heartbreaking. Great sex is hard to pass up, but sometimes it needs to be done.

Ishida

Banned
what is this about the 'true' ending? i'm at mission 30.

someone please explain without the use of any spoilers.

The "true ending" will just unlock as you do more missions. It has no build up, no nothing. It just happens. You don't need to do anything special to get it, just keep playing and the game suddenly decides it's time to just end.

And then you jump to join the party in the spoiler thread.

Sayter

The amount of use you get out fo the batttle suit is directly proportional to how much you've played the game. When I started out I was all non-lethal and stealthy and concerned about the enemy.

Now? Now my arrival is announced with the thunder of air bombardments, and punctuated by the liberal use of explosives. If there's anything or anyone left to futon after I'm done redecorating it's a miracle. I wish I could capture attach helicopters.

Here here. Screw the morality aspect. I've got all the staff and equipment I want. I get the mission done, take what I want, and kill the rest. The best way to keep an enemy soldier quite is to kill them. There's something satisfying about shooting a bunch of soldiers with an RPG and watching the bodies fly in all directions. My horn is nice and long and I don't give a shit anymore. War will do that to a man. >:^)

Toa TAK

Banned
Here here. Screw the morality aspect. I've got all the staff and equipment I want. I get the mission done, take what I want, and kill the rest. The best way to keep an enemy soldier quite is to kill them. There's something satisfying about shooting a bunch of soldiers with an RPG and watching the bodies fly in all directions. My horn is nice and long and I don't give a shit anymore. War will do that to a man. >:^)

It sounds like you have a hard-on for murder.

Does it process materials faster if you do the truck thing than if you just afk at mother base?
AFAIK, the game only processes stuff at checkpoints. So if you sit around on MB for two hours, no checkpoint gets triggered -- while using the truck ride, it's hitting a checkpoint every couple minutes.

I'm not 100% sure on how it works with materials processing, as I'm done building stuff and am only using it to get guys out of the brig.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You mean
"You enjoy the killing, that's why."

"Are you denying it? Haven't you killed most of my comrads already?"

"But that was..."

"I saw your face while you did it, Snake. It was filled with the joy of battle."

----

Anyway to beat these higher level combat deployment missions quickly besides spamming staff at them until they die?

AFAIK, the game only processes stuff at checkpoints. So if you sit around on MB for two hours, no checkpoint gets triggered -- while using the truck ride, it's hitting a checkpoint every couple minutes.

I'm not 100% sure on how it works with materials processing, as I'm done building stuff and am only using it to get guys out of the brig.

We'll I've afked at mother base and materials definitely kept processing. Just wasn't sure if it was faster in the truck. Sounds like it might be if it's based on checkpoints.

(Massive huge, gigantic forbidden endgame spoilers)
So I just unlocked Mission 46 and Side Op 150 at the exact same time. Which one should I do first? I plan on allowing Quiet to be permanently lost, but I heard the mission that comes after Side Op 150 is a point of no return, so I want to know if doing Mission 46 first is a good idea or not.

Finally got the platinum trophy! It was a very enjoyable ride, I still need to farm all emblem parts. Oh and I thought I was done with R&D items but I still miss a box :/

Caode

So I just unlocked Mission 46 and Side Op 150 at the exact same time. Which one should I do first? I plan on allowing Quiet to be permanently lost, but I heard the mission that comes after Side Op 150 is a point of no return, so I want to know if doing Mission 46 first is a good idea or not.

You can go ahead and do Mission 46, that won't have any bearing on Side Op 150, or Mission 45, and story wise it's not relevant to the events of Mission 45/Side Op 150

It really depends. Some people prefer one before the other.
46 is generally considered when the game really "ends" though, and that's my thought as well. If 150 is unlocked you're already past the point of no return so you may as well run that first.

D23

I put in around 50 hours or so and i just finished mission 31...

at this point i'm pretty much burnt out, is chapter 2 better than 1?

rtcn63

Mission 26-ish spoilers (around that time)
Was there an easier way to quarantine all those people? I had 200+ guys that met the specifics.

86 of 157 side ops done, after 70 hours played.

Don't know if I can do it. The mine clearing sucked.

In what sense?
They're the easiest as all you have to do is bring D-Dog along and he'll spot all of them for you and then all you have to do is detonate them.

I'm around 40 hours in and I just finished the first chapter. I'm finding it extremely difficult to work up the desire to finish chapter 2 despite really liking most of my time with the game.

wiibomb

I can't finish mission 45... how the fuck,
the last wave is a fucking hell.. I can't even show up before I get shot in the face with a cannon and.. DEAD

I'm around 40 hours in and I just finished the first chapter. I'm finding it extremely difficult to work up the desire to finish chapter 2 despite really liking most of my time with the game.

Well about that, (no. of missions spoiler)
you only have, like, 5 missions left. So there's your silver lining ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I put in around 50 hours or so and i just finished mission 31...

at this point i'm pretty much burnt out, is chapter 2 better than 1?

Different people seem to have varying answers, but I'd say yes, so long as you understand that Chapter 2 is substantially shorter than Chapter 1. Chapter 2 is not as focused as Chapter 1, but in my opinion is does a LOT more with the characters than Chapter 1 which felt like a more generic story. Also, Chapter 2 has one of the most well-done levels in all of gaming.

I can't finish mission 45... how the fuck,
the last wave is a fucking hell.. I can't even show up before I get shot in the face with a cannon and.. DEAD

I like to meet the genius who made this mission.
It's stupid you can't leave the mission area because plot
.I just gave up on it when a soldier just pops into existence right in front of me.

Blader

I'm not through it yet but it's pretty short so far. I've probably spent more time listening to tape convos than on the actual missions.

MNC

This game can be really draining. It is an amazing game on so many levels, yet so disappointing to me on others.

wiibomb

Well, after countless deaths I finished mission 45.. I'll be totally honest, I haven't finished mission 46 (I'll be on that after this), but I would be pleased with this as the ending, I know it is not much, but I like how conclusive it was.

Even if mission 46 doesn't make a good conclusion, I liked a lot this conclusion on 45

Meier

Hmm, I need to capture a tank and that's not so easy. I did on my first Chapter 31 attempt but didn't the next time. Meh.

I liked Mission 45's gameplay :O like... a lot... I replay it after sometimes for fun too q_q

protip:
use Decoys. seriously. uuuuuuuse Decoys. and fully upgraded Battle Armor and that... non-locking rocket launcher; the 2 guided ones are too weak. and use mines. but seriously, use Decoys.

This game can be really draining. It is an amazing game on so many levels, yet so disappointing to me on others.

This is how I feel about it.

The fact that I have it running in the background to process fuel while I play SC2 is pathetic and hilarious.

Top Bottom