• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If you do them again, they give you GMP, that is why they continue to show, but you already cleared those

So I can basically do them an unlimited amount of times in order to gain GMP or is there an actual limit? Thanks.

So I can basically do them an unlimited amount of times in order to gain GMP or is there an actual limit? Thanks.

There's a 5 million limit, and later on it becomes very easy to solve any GMP problem imaginable by selling excess resources so there isn't any need to redo side ops unless you're looking to extract people.

mattp

The way an alert spreads in this game is still awful. Someone sees you and shouts out in surprise, but no one hears it if you are able to subdue them immediately afterwards. If they are subdued a fraction of a second beyond that, and they haven't even done anything in addition to that surprised shout, somehow everyone in the entire base knows exactly where you are.

I don't see why the alerts can't start at a 40m radius, or ideally, go back to MGS3 days of making gunfire or a radio request necessary to alert other enemies. I can't even stand people up during alerts. So frustrating.
yup
its such a bizarre step backwards
id much prefer a shortened or removed reflex mode if they went to that system
hive mind insta-alert is so mgs1

O.DOGG

Is there any benefit to be gained by fully upgrading my FOB? I already have the tech I wanted developed, my R&D is level 67, Intel is 62, everything else is close to 60 (except the Security team at level 37). I don't intend to invade anybody, haven't been invaded yet. I just don't see a point to upgrading.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
There's a 5 million limit, and later on it becomes very easy to solve any GMP problem imaginable by selling excess resources so there isn't any need to redo side ops unless you're looking to extract people.

Okay. Personally prefer if it was all a one and done but good to know. Thanks.

Tainted

I'm around 40 hours in and I just finished the first chapter. I'm finding it extremely difficult to work up the desire to finish chapter 2 despite really liking most of my time with the game.

My tip is not to spend too much time on the side ops. I've done a fair chunk of those and I was starting to feel the same way, so now I'm just focusing on the main missions. I'm pretty sure you can just go back and do the side ops if you wish after you finish it (ie they wont disappear from the list after a period of time)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm around 40 hours in and I just finished the first chapter. I'm finding it extremely difficult to work up the desire to finish chapter 2 despite really liking most of my time with the game.

If you know what missions to do, you can do Chapter 2 in like 10 hours.

Assuming you just want to finish the story.

(do you know anything about a certain emblem that does a certain something to the story?)

Can you explain this to me? What does wearing it do?

I was spoiled on
Quiet leaving
, but I never actually read up on the mechanics.

Edit: Also is there a way I would have just stumbled upon this myself?

Is there anything else in the game that can be easily missed?

Hero

Okay so I just beat Chapter 1 and am pretty happy with the game.

I've heard Chapter 2 is very polarizing and the ending is bad. Should I go on? How long does Chapter 2 take?

Hypron

I was spoiled on
Quiet leaving

If you
wear the butterfly emblem, Quiet won't leave (it just halts that story line until you take it off). It's not really a spoiler since nothing in the game tells you it works that way.

Hazmat

I was spoiled on
Quiet leaving

Edit: Also is there a way I would have just stumbled upon this myself?

Is there anything else in the game that can be easily missed?

It caps your bond with Quiet at 85% (I think). To progress her story you need 100%, so this prevents that.

wiibomb

If you
wear the butterfly emblem, Quiet won't leave (it just halts that story line until you take it off). It's not really a spoiler since nothing in the game tells you it works that way.

But if I repeat that infamous mission with
the butterfly emblem
even if
she has already leave, I won't get her back?

Mission
40, 42, 44, 47 seem to be repeats
do I need to complete these to get new missions? Or am I missing something because I am not able to proceed...

Okay so I just beat Chapter 1 and am pretty happy with the game.

I've heard Chapter 2 is very polarizing and the ending is bad. Should I go on? How long does Chapter 2 take?
Chapter 2 isn't as long as chapter 1. A lot of the missions are harder versions of old missions. Just play the yellow missions and do side ops until more yellow missions show.
The ending floored me tbh. I'm still thinking about it. People here like to exaggerate. The story is fine. The only thing is that the pacing is kind of off. Now you may not like what Kojima did with the story, but that comes down to personal opinion mostly. I was waiting for the game to get bad in chapter 2 and it never did. So don't worry about it. Ch 2 also has one of the game's best missions: Mission 43

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well how do I get mission
to appear?

Be Max Bond with Quiet. Remove the Butterfly Emblem if you have it on. Do Side-Op 150 once you remove the Butterfly Emblem and are told that Quiet has left the building.

Be prepared before you do this. Set your sortie for that trigger point to full combat gear with a rocket launcher in the 4-6 range preferably.

For the love of god, as we approach OT3 can somebody please think of a decent thread title this time.

The thread title is pretty good, I thought.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a spoiler or not (It's Chapter 2 stuff), so if it is it would be disqualified as a contender for OT3's title but...

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [OT3]
McDonell's Hamburger with a Side Op and Drink

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
total noob question, but is there a reason I should put the guards to sleep versus just killing them when I have them in a choke hold?

So I've heard there's a grind necessary somewhere around the end. Is it side-op related? If so, will keeping up with side ops while doing the story missions prevent a grind later? Or is it something that isn't even available to do until you get to that point?

total noob question, but is there a reason I should put the guards to sleep versus just killing them when I have them in a choke hold?

To extract them (which you can't if they're dead).

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
So I've heard there's a grind necessary somewhere around the end. Is it side-op related? If so, will keeping up with side ops while doing the story missions prevent a grind later? Or is it something that isn't even available to do until you get to that point?

To extract them (which you can't if they're dead).

that's it though?

I have no idea how it works, but I know there are missions that aren't required at all. I did the side ops as I went along so I couldn't say if there's a grind or not if you don't keep up.
that's it though?

You get better ranking opportunities for not killing, and guards aren't nearly as alerted by seeing a sleeping person.

soultron

Banned
Mission 29 spoilers:
why does Kojima insist on springing the worst part of this game (Skulls unit) so often? I hate these guys. They're not fun to fight.

Kopite

So how do you get the
rain scene? Does it trigger after a certain mission or is it a random event? I've finished mission 43 and have not seen it yet

So how do you get the
rain scene? Does it trigger after a certain mission or is it a random event? I've finished mission 43 and have not seen it yet

go back to mother base while its raining. not sure if you need to have quiet with you. it triggered when i had her with me.

Top Bottom