• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

If your boss gives you a deadline and budget to work with and you blow it, that's not your boss's fault. If he gives you an extended deadline and extra money and you still blow it, it's really not your boss's fault.

If the project your boss gives you to complete is a multimillion dollar project it totally is their fault. They must of had milestones that they missed before the final deadline. From top to bottom I'm guessing the project was totally mismanaged. However I finished it last night and very much enjoyed it

Salaadin

I've only clocked 6 hours in the game now (only 2% completion), but I'm wondering if I'm making the game tougher for myself than the game really is.

For example, in mission 5 I ended up staying outside of the camp for most of the mission picking off enemies and taking out lights with a sniper rifle and then running away and hiding when too many enemies decended on my vantage point at once. I actually ended up almost capturing the entire area without entering it. I then just killed two enemies inside the camp and it left me free to search for all the resources I wanted, pick up a tape, and rescue someone without worrying about being killed.

I just get the feeling that I might be playing the game a little too cautiously?

Maybe. Are you having fun?
If so, keep at it. We are all probably playing it differently.

Turth is, we still don't know what happened. Maybe the game was meant to be like this, maybe the game wasn't made to be like this.

There IS cut content though. You can blame Kojima AND Konami for this.
This is pretty much it.

Its easy to pick a side and blame the other but both sides are most likely at fault here.

If your boss gives you a deadline and budget to work with and you blow it, that's not your boss's fault. If he gives you an extended deadline and extra money and you still blow it, it's really not your boss's fault.

To be fair, it's really up to managers, to, you know, manage the project. If they just left Kojima to do his own thing when he needs supervising since he blows through your money, then they didn't really do a good job of making sure the project, the biggest game in their history as a company, was doing well.

gelf

The grind in chapter 2 is really souring me on the game now. I only have some very standard cut and paste side ops and extreme versions of missions I barely liked when they were in normal mode available to play at the moment.
The Quiet fight and Skulls at the airport in extream can fuck right off.

Xeilyn

So just beat the game. I thought it was good but im still pretty disappointed. Once i was about halfway through my opinion was that it had amazing gameplay but not much more and that still stands after beating the game, not the worst in the series but really not the best either

dity

Maybe. Are you having fun?
If so, keep at it. We are all probably playing it differently.
Oh, I'm having fun. I just wonder if I could be having... more fun?

I'm not usually big into first- or third-person-shooters. Maybe Snake's more of a bullet sponge than I think he is? The lack of health bar like in MGS1 or MGR (my only real Metal Gear experience) makes me feel like Snake's going to die in a hit or two haha.

myco666

The grind in chapter 2 is really souring me on the game now. I only have some very standard cut and paste side ops and extreme versions of missions I barely liked when they were in normal mode available to play at the moment.

Just start the Extreme Quiet mission with tank. One of the easier missions to S-Rank.

Vex_

Banned
Alright, so here's your fucking answer, SPOILERS:
SPOILER FROM THE SECRET ENDING, are you sure you want to keep on reading? Alright, so after you figure out you're not playing as Big Boss but as the Medic, who is essentially you yourself as the avatar you created, you're free then to keep on playing with that model.

Omfg!!! Oh nooo!!! OmG whyy????!!

Nah. Just kidding. Wasn't hard was it guys? I was just asking if it was a mod or not. You could've said it was story related? That one guy confused the living shit out of me by saying it was mod, the other said it wasn't. Thank you for finally answering.

But yea. I beat 46 already. Had to cut off my PC shortly before credits to goto work, but now it makes sense as I sit here watching it again.

Now I just need to get to mission 50 I hear? Will do, and I can finally put this game to rest and go to the spoiler thread and vent on that "wtf" thing.

Ending wasn't nearly as bad as people said it was though. Holy exaggeration batman!

I admit that my attention level in cutscenes is rather low and I've not listened to a single tape yet, but is an explanation given as to why the Extreme and Subsistence missions exist? Am I being pulled back through space-time to right something that went wrong? Are these missions taking place in my mind? As far as I can tell, Miller just says "Hey Snake, I've added some missions to your iDroid" and that's it.

Markoman

I'm not usually big into first- or third-person-shooters. Maybe Snake's more of a bullet sponge than I think he is? The lack of health bar like in MGS1 or MGR (my only real Metal Gear experience) makes me feel like Snake's going to die in a hit or two haha.

Yes, this is my main issue with this game. You become OP very fast simply by doing busy-work (see Skyrim, Witcher 3, Assassins Creed,...)
An extreme difficulty from the beginnig with special unlocks tied to it could have helped.

As it is now Reflex, Auto-marking, buddies, Regen-health, supply-drops make the game far to easy and ruin the stealth aspect, so I'm making it harder for me by playing "my game". If the ai was able to call enourmous amounts of reinforcement from main base (trucks with 10 soldiers, 2-3 tanks, helis) it would change things drastically, but I guess this is too much for PS4/One to keep the 60fps.

ezekial45

Banned
I admit that my attention level in cutscenes is rather low and I've not listened to a single tape yet, but is an explanation given as to why the Extreme and Subsistence missions exist? Am I being pulled back through space-time to right something that went wrong? Are these missions taking place in my mind? As far as I can tell, Miller just says "Hey Snake, I've added some missions to your iDroid" and that's it.

They're just extra hard missions. Don't take them seriously, they're not really a part of the canon.

Someone put those side ops in the main mission list, and some story missions into the side ops lists.

Later on guards start getting weapons that can rip Snake to shreds without the Battle Suit, making fighting off combat alerts a lot harder, but early on he's pretty durable, yeah.

There's usually an actual new mission placed within the repeat missions. It's marked with yellow and what you need (either that or yellow marked side ops) to do to progress the story, usually.

Haunted

leave kojima alone.

it's entirely konami's fault. they deserve to die, and i hope they burn in hell.
how dare you address kojima-sama that casually you dirty gaijin

There's no in-world explanation for repeated main missions under different parameters, no.

My tip is to do skip the repeats and just do sideops until the next cutscene triggers.

charsace

People need to stop blaming Konami. Looked at how this entire game is designed from beginning to end. Kojima let us down. Konami just stopped him from continuing to bleed their money.

Kojima didn't let me down. This is the best MGS game. The story is crap, but it has always been crap in this series. The game play offered in between the cut scenes has always been the key for me. This game has the best overall gameplay and gives you a ton of it.

dity

Later on guards start getting weapons that can rip Snake to shreds without the Battle Suit, making fighting off combat alerts a lot harder, but early on he's pretty durable, yeah.
Hm... Makes me think I should just perfect my current play style instead then. Really focus on sniping and getting that area beefed up.

Forkball

I've been FOBing it up. Some are a cakewalk, but others are seemingly impossible. I gotta go through four platforms filled with guys wielding rocket launchers and drones everywhere? The real Metal Gear begins now.

Markoman

Kojima didn't let me down. This is the best MGS game. The story is crap, but it has always been crap in this series. The game play offered in between the cut scenes has always been the key for me. This game has the best overall gameplay and gives you a ton of it.

Thank you, this is exactly how I feel. Every friggin point you make.

Try going back to other games in the genre now....
I wanted to finish my The Last of Us run on highest difficulty level, but guess what? There is no going back, because the gameplay in TPP is so much better. It will take years until we see something of that calibre again.

And for all the story-lovers...please, realize the good stories in video-games can only be considered "good" because they are stories in video-games. Homer and Shakespeare shit on every story that has been told in a game. Storytelling in gaming is still in its infancy.

Randam

what do you think is better here?
wasn't so good in the older games?

quick question about medical platform (spoiler)
when I wanted to present the third pic to Paz the door was closed and I couldn't get in. I even fast forwarded the time to see if it opens but I still couldn't get in. Is this normal?

You always need to return to ACC and then back to mother base.

Okay I just did Mission (late game spoilers)
43. I fail to see how ANYONE would see Snake as anything but utterly heroic in that situation. He went in ALONE and did exactly what he needed to do to prevent the outbreak from reaching the outside world.

It wasn't demonic at all. None of that was his fault.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
43. I fail to see how ANYONE would see Snake as anything but utterly heroic in that situation. He went in ALONE and did exactly what he needed to do to prevent the outbreak from reaching the outside world.

Getting close to the truth...

Lettuce

What does it mean when you have a completed side op, but the text for the mission title is white and has a white dot next to it??....and what do these white dots you get next to menu stuff generally mean?

It was mostly just Huey antagonizing him, and if you watch the scenes that follow, you'll get an idea why that is.

What can I do if Mission 46 doesn't pop up ? I've done everything needed, should I just go on with side ops and wait ? 60 hours in, loved the game but I'm really burn out now and I just want to finish it.

All Side Ops done. I don't really care all that much completing all the mission tasks or getting S ranks on every mission so for now I'm gonna expand my FOB

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Man, just finished Ep. 1 -120h playtime here. Still in love with this game but something is bittersweet about it (I know about Ep. 2). I'm starting to feel that Kojima is not the good and Konami the bad guy in this szenario. It's all just shades of grey or let's put it this way: Kojima with all the praise surrounding his persona was not able to sell a simple and obvious concept to his employer - designing MGSV as an episodic trilogy with yearly iterations that can be integrated in one game= more revenue + more time for polishing the story and certain other aspects. Let's be completely honest to ourselves:
MGS V: at least 40h Singleplayer + PVP (FOB) + MP = 70,-€
The Order: 7 hours at best SP, no MP, no replay value = 70,-€

....I'm willing to pay more than the ordinary price if the content is right.

To each their own but I had more fun in the 14 hours it took me to complete The Order than im currently having in MGSV in which im at 40+ hours and 10% complete.

Markoman

what do you think is better here?
wasn't so good in the older games?

Please, try replaying the older games now and tell me what you like about it.
I get that for a lot of people it's the story/presentation which makes the MGS experience.

But holy cow, I remember how outdated(camera, controls, shooting) Snake Eater felt in the gameplay department compared to the Splinter Cell games 10 years ago.

Is there a specific reason that common metal processes so slow compared to my other stuff?

edit: And I just had a process of materials that only had 3/5 give me processed stuff when it's clear that I have unprocessed of the other 2.

What gives?

edit: Ugh, common is processing so slow now. I actually have fuel :lol. Snake has been in the box in the truck so long now that whenever the truck stops flies appear above it :lol

Any input on this/process timings? Why one may go faster than others?

MNC

Okay, so, I am about to start mission 29. I have the highest bond with Quiet. I do not have the butterfly. I have the latest beta patch.

Can I safely start the mission or will I lose save data?

Someone said it processes faster the more you have.

Hmm, I wonder if it's online vs offline materials? Well the last time I saw a process happen I thought I was pretty close in terms of quantity...hmm :\

edit: Actually just had a process and numbers were all over the place, not following what I have in unprocessed.

Renewed

Okay, so, I am about to start mission 29. I have the highest bond with Quiet. I do not have the butterfly. I have the latest beta patch.

Can I safely start the mission or will I lose save data?

?? I'm assuming there was a bug or something? I played that mission my first time through a few days back with Quiet and nothing went wrong. I was playing on PS4.

vpance

That mission 45, jeezus.
Took me 2 hrs and went in totally unprepared. I swear some of those later APC had some invincibility time or something. Took like 8 rockets instead of 3 to destroy them.

Hmm, I wonder if it's online vs offline materials? Well the last time I saw a process happen I thought I was pretty close in terms of quantity...hmm :

edit: Actually just had a process and numbers were all over the place, not following what I have in unprocessed.

I don't know if that's offline or both, I just heard it took a percentage and capped it by a maximum value (and I'd assume a minimum value too).
For the ones which get processed vs oones which don't I have no idea.

Markoman

To each their own but I had more fun in the 14 hours it took me to complete The Order than im currently having in MGSV in which im at 40+ hours and 10% complete.

Yeah, you seem to prefer cinematic/directed gaming experiences whilst I'm more into gameplay options which let me "write my own little stories". That's absolutely ok...

Randam

Please, try replaying the older games now and tell me what you like about it.
I get that for a lot of people it's the story/presentation which makes the MGS experience.

But holy cow, I remember how outdated(camera, controls, shooting) Snake Eater felt in the gameplay department compared to the Splinter Cell games 10 years ago.
I never had, or have a problem with the camera, controls or shooting of the first 3 games, but okay, then compared to MGS 4.

Top Bottom