• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

valkyre

Guys i am trying to trigger the easter egg cutscene
with the birthday surprise. I forced my ps4 clock on my birthday i loaded the game in ACC but still i got no prompt to visit MB and get the cutscene. Do i have to play around for a while before it triggers or is there something else wrong?

Hypron

Guys i am trying to trigger the easter egg cutscene
with the birthday surprise. I forced my ps4 clock on my birthday i loaded the game in ACC but still i got no prompt to visit MB and get the cutscene. Do i have to play around for a while before it triggers or is there something else wrong?

I don't think I got a prompt, I just chose "go back to motherbase".

MNC

Trying to become smelly again to trigger the quiet cutscene, but for some reason I can't become smelly enough. Can you only trigger smellyness once in the game? I had the stink cutscene once, early in the game.

Trying to become smelly again to trigger the quiet cutscene, but for some reason I can't become smelly enough. Can you only trigger smellyness once in the game? I had the stink cutscene once, early in the game.

The rivers on Africa are where it's happened to me. Try messing around in those and phantom cigaring.

KHlover

Banned
Hm I feel like the game is nudging me to start playing the story again. All soldiers on my base are ranked A - A++ and S-Rank is nowhere in sight. All the cool weapons are developed and what remains is boring crap. Also have been stuck at 55% of Combat Deployment FOREVER.

Time to start Mission 13, I guess.

What a cryptic way of hiding one's own game's real ending. But it was so weird to get to it I want to make sure I've already seen everything there is to see story wise. I'll just describe what was the last thing I saw so someone can confirm me if that was the end or if there's more.

END GAME SPOILERS
So I beat Missions 45 and 46. Counting these two missions plus mission 31 I already saw the game's credits roll thrice. Barring the "truth documents" (cassettes) I got after Mission 46 is that all there is or am I missing something else that may or may not be buried below some side ops grindfest or something?

SJRB

Gold Member
What a cryptic way of hiding one's own game's real ending. But it was so weird to get to it I want to make sure I've already seen everything there is to see story wise. I'll just describe what was the last thing I saw so someone can confirm me if that was the end or if there's more.

END GAME SPOILERS
So I beat Missions 45 and 46. Counting these two missions plus mission 31 I already saw the game's credits roll thrice. Barring the "truth documents" (cassettes) I got after Mission 46 is that all there is or am I missing something else that may or may not be buried below some side ops grindfest or something?

Nope, that's it.

DID YOU LIKE IT?

foxtrot3d

Banned

END GAME SPOILERS

You're done with the game.

Nope, that's it.

DID YOU LIKE IT?

Oh man I'm so torn.

After I completed Mission 45 I was downright pissed. I thought that was it. That was the end. People weren't kidding. It sucked and it was abrupt as shit. But then I saw Mission 46 and my mind shattered more than once so it was vindicated but still a let down they left so much explanation on half an hour's worth of cassettes after the fact.

Questions:
1) did Quiet die? Was her photosinthesis really Kojima's excuse that would make us feel bad for questioning her ridiculous outfit?

2) why did Zero wanted Big Boss alive?

3) what was the point of changing David Hayter? I was so bummed he wasn't featured in the end.

4) why did Pequad called me Ahab (or whatever, I forget the name) at the end of Mission 45? Wasn't that name secret because everyone thought I was Jack aka Big Boss?

MNC

unbenannt-1tbqhb.jpg

unbenannt-2k5pbj.jpg

PTSD Solid V

It almost looks like you have more highly detailed blood spatters than me... Then again I never wear the battle dress so all I get is smudges on my fabric.

spidye

quick question about medical platform (spoiler)
when I wanted to present the third pic to Paz the door was closed and I couldn't get in. I even fast forwarded the time to see if it opens but I still couldn't get in. Is this normal?

quick question about medical platform (spoiler)
when I wanted to present the third pic to Paz the door was closed and I couldn't get in. I even fast forwarded the time to see if it opens but I still couldn't get in. Is this normal?
Make sure you're on the right floor

Hmm, I need to capture a tank and that's not so easy. I did on my first Chapter 31 attempt but didn't the next time. Meh.

Mission 8, you can capture two of them (and a truck) with the aid of a couple decoys to make them stop. I farmed that mission for a bit and I think my fastest on it was three and a half minutes, probably could do it a little faster.

I was going to write this out if needed but this guy made a video of it for farming purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yiqxNAHiZA

Haunted

Oh man I'm so torn.

After I completed Mission 45 I was downright pissed. I thought that was it. That was the end. People weren't kidding. It sucked and it was abrupt as shit. But then I saw Mission 46 and my mind shattered more than once so it was vindicated but still a let down they left so much explanation on half an hour's worth of cassettes after the fact.

Questions:
1) did Quiet die? Was her photosinthesis really Kojima's excuse that would make us feel bad for questioning her ridiculous outfit?

3) what was the point of changing David Hayter? I was so bummed he wasn't featured in the end.

4) why did Pequad called me Ahab (or whatever, I forget the name) at the end of Mission 45? Wasn't that name secret because everyone thought I was Jack aka Big Boss?
1) left open, yes (lol)

3) Kojima really likes 24 and wanted more "star power"

4) Ahab was just your call sign and not a secret

TheBoss1

Just beat the game last night. This is (END GAME SPOILER)
MGS2 all over again. People wanted to play as the legendary protagonist but you played as a nobody aka Medic (Raiden)
. I'm still digesting it and don't know how to feel about it but I've come to the conclusion gamers want a straightforward and predictable story. It's no surprise that the 2 most revered games in the series had the most simple plots, especially MGS3. Trying to circumvent player expectations will cause an uproar (MGS2 & MGSV). I personally find the entirety of MGSV to be one of the best games ever made. Besides the story, everything is head and shoulders above the other games in the series. From cutscenes to the less anime voice acting to gameplay, I love it.

With that said, the story is definitely incomplete. I'm calling it now: Konami cut content from the game so they can sell it as DLC so expect some story content to be sold in the coming months. Remember when Kojima said he wanted to release the game in episodic format? After all the game is set up like a TV series and Konami wants to maximize their profits so what easier way than to cut shit and sell it separately. That $60 game will now become a $100 game.

MGS2 all over again. People wanted to play as the legendary protagonist but you played as a nobody aka Medic (Raiden)
. I'm still digesting it and don't know how to feel about it but I've come to the conclusion gamers want a straightforward and predictable story. It's no surprise that the 2 most revered games in the series had the most simple plots, especially MGS3. Trying to circumvent player expectations will cause an uproar (MGS2 & MGSV). I personally find the entirety of MGSV to be one of the best games ever made. Besides the story, everything is head and shoulders above the other games in the series. From cutscenes to the less anime voice acting to gameplay, I love it.

With that said, the story is definitely incomplete. I'm calling it now: Konami cut content from the game so they can sell it as DLC so expect some story content to be sold in the coming months. Remember when Kojima said he wanted to release the game in episodic format? After all the game is set up like a TV series and Konami wants to maximize their profits so what easier way than to cut shit and sell it separately. That $60 game will now become a $100 game.

Nah, not happening. Kojima worked with what he had; the closure is there, even if some don't like it. Besides, Konami wouldn't want to invest another penny in big-budget console gaming at this point, unless it rhymes with Bro Revolution Blogger.

Jintor

Straightforward, maybe. Predictable, no. I think MGS players especially want twists, but they want twists that aren't just layer upon layer of obfuscation that fold in on themselves, or seem contrived, or that cause an instinctual aneurysm... well, perhaps easier to say they want twists that when they reveal themselves the first response is "Oh, so that's what that meant!" instead of "WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK THIS IS BULLSHIT"

Vex_

Banned
Just fucking play the game and don't ask questions you don't want answers to, okay?

I'm trying to help here.

"I dont want the answers to"? Dude, why do you think I am asking? I want the fucking answers! The fuck??!

Damn! now you got me all fucked up and shit.

People need to stop blaming Konami. Looked at how this entire game is designed from beginning to end. Kojima let us down. Konami just stopped him from continuing to bleed their money.

Is there a specific reason that common metal processes so slow compared to my other stuff?

edit: And I just had a process of materials that only had 3/5 give me processed stuff when it's clear that I have unprocessed of the other 2.

What gives?

edit: Ugh, common is processing so slow now. I actually have fuel :lol. Snake has been in the box in the truck so long now that whenever the truck stops flies appear above it :lol

Setsuna

Oh man I'm so torn.

Questions:

1) its left in the open think what you want

2) Zero sees Big boss as a necessary ally

3) who knows

4) You have an issue with Pequod saying Ahab never mind the fact that Pequod is still using the codename from moby dick

Lolcomin

Banned
People need to stop blaming Konami. Looked at how this entire game is designed from beginning to end. Kojima let us down. Konami just stopped him from continuing to bleed their money.
Yeah still don't know why people are blind to the fact that kojima was behind in development, skipped deadlines and didn't know the scope of the project hence why Africa was so large with barely anything to do. Konami pretty much got tired of the game not being able to be shipped and forced it to come out

Yeah still don't know why people are blind to the fact that kojima was behind in development, skipped deadlines and didn't know the scope of the project hence why Africa was so large with barely anything to do. Konami pretty much got tired of the game not being able to be shipped and forced it to come out

Turth is, we still don't know what happened. Maybe the game was meant to be like this, maybe the game wasn't made to be like this.

There IS cut content though. You can blame Kojima AND Konami for this.

malfcn

They were worried about making the game too big for players to complete, when they should have worried about making the game too big for them to complete developing.

Javier23

Banned
"I dont want the answers to"? Dude, why do you think I am asking? I want the fucking answers! The fuck??!

Damn! now you got me all fucked up and shit.
Alright, so here's your fucking answer, SPOILERS:
SPOILER FROM THE SECRET ENDING, are you sure you want to keep on reading? Alright, so after you figure out you're not playing as Big Boss but as the Medic, who is essentially you yourself as the avatar you created, you're free then to keep on playing with that model.

t26

So I've heard there's a grind necessary somewhere around the end. Is it side-op related? If so, will keeping up with side ops while doing the story missions prevent a grind later? Or is it something that isn't even available to do until you get to that point?

At a certain point new missions open up after you do around 3 side ops. So just do them at that point.

dity

I've only clocked 6 hours in the game now (only 2% completion), but I'm wondering if I'm making the game tougher for myself than the game really is.

For example, in mission 5 I ended up staying outside of the camp for most of the mission picking off enemies and taking out lights with a sniper rifle and then running away and hiding when too many enemies decended on my vantage point at once. I actually ended up almost capturing the entire area without entering it. I then just killed two enemies inside the camp and it left me free to search for all the resources I wanted, pick up a tape, and rescue someone without worrying about being killed.

I just get the feeling that I might be playing the game a little too cautiously?

Turth is, we still don't know what happened. Maybe the game was meant to be like this, maybe the game wasn't made to be like this.

There IS cut content though. You can blame Kojima AND Konami for this.

If your boss gives you a deadline and budget to work with and you blow it, that's not your boss's fault. If he gives you an extended deadline and extra money and you still blow it, it's really not your boss's fault.

They were worried about making the game too big for players to complete, when they should have worried about making the game too big for them to complete developing.

yep. they probably should've also worried about making the game interesting enough so that people'd want to complete it :) ...

bud

If your boss gives you a deadline and budget to work with and you blow it, that's not your boss's fault. If he gives you an extended deadline and extra money and you still blow it, it's really not your boss's fault.

leave kojima alone.

it's entirely konami's fault. they deserve to die, and i hope they burn in hell.

wiibomb

As much as I would like DLC to happen for this game (it is WAY too good to let it go, ha ha) I think Konami couldn't resist more of Kojima and they decided to cut the income of Kojima Production, that is VERY clear by 2 things:

1) there are only episode 1 and 2, there should have been an episode 3 and maybe 4 to complete all loose ends in a satisfactory manner.

2) episode 2 clearly shows how much they were handcuffed, those repeated missions as well as the amount of mission clearly shows the money stopped coming

I'm sad to see the story will never be finished, I would surely as hell pay for DLC even with story involved, but I don't see any chance of it happening

But we don't know if the deadline was indeed Sept 1st 2015 in the first place. It could have been March 2016, and with the change in HQ direction they went all NOPE.

We just don't know what happened. It just is what it is. In any case, Konami has been full of enough bullshit this year to be more angry with them, so, there's that too.

By the way:

OT3: I've had 70+ hours of fun. The game sucks.

Markoman

Man, just finished Ep. 1 -120h playtime here. Still in love with this game but something is bittersweet about it (I know about Ep. 2). I'm starting to feel that Kojima is not the good and Konami the bad guy in this szenario. It's all just shades of grey or let's put it this way: Kojima with all the praise surrounding his persona was not able to sell a simple and obvious concept to his employer - designing MGSV as an episodic trilogy with yearly iterations that can be integrated in one game= more revenue + more time for polishing the story and certain other aspects. Let's be completely honest to ourselves:
MGS V: at least 40h Singleplayer + PVP (FOB) + MP = 70,-€
The Order: 7 hours at best SP, no MP, no replay value = 70,-€

....I'm willing to pay more than the ordinary price if the content is right.

Top Bottom