• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Tainted

Just finished mission 25, but now I'm stumped.
I need to identify infected MB soldiers, but I have no idea how. I've tried watching them from a distance, see if they cough, sneeze, twitch, or exhibit any kind of weird behavior. I've tried walking up to them to see whether they react differently (stuttering, maybe?). Nothing so far. I must be completely off-base. Could someone give me a hint, please? Just a hint, not the solution.

I noticed most soldiers on the Combat platform and the Medical platform are wearing gas masks, while no one on the Command platform does. Not sure whether that means anything.

Staff management screen...that should be enough of a hint to work it out :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm... have all Blueprints but that's only 97%.

I'm guessing the combat deployment missions have to all be finished to get 100%? :/

UV-6

Endgame spoilers:
Should I do episode 46 first or Sideops 150? I know Sideops 150 is meant to be really hard, what sort of prep do I need? Is 45 hard too? Oh and what about Paz's story. Can I finish that afterwards? I've got 2 more photos to show her I think.

I've heard others say the
Paz scenes stopped working but it carried on fine for me

Worked fine for me as well. Although I had one photo left to give Paz after completing mission 46. Not sure it matters.

Disgraced

Despite what they claim, these guys absolutely hate the Metal Gear series, and it shows in their review. Very shallow review, even while I agree with most of their complaints.
Yep. Agreed. Shitty review. Generally, I'm not crazy about Pre-Rec. Still, was in my feed and thought I'd share since I know a lot of people like them.

Side-note: I actually meant to post it in the review thread. Whoops. It's 'kay. It's alright. It's fine. It's fiiiiiiiiine. Y'all saw it.

MNC

Mission 29 spoilers:
why does Kojima insist on springing the worst part of this game (Skulls unit) so often? I hate these guys. They're not fun to fight.
I had fun in the (somewhere mid 20s mission spoiler
sniper battle before extracting code talker

Kindekuma

Banned
Been doing a lot of R&D Developments, the MGSVOps challenges, and some side objectives. Ignoring the last subsistence and
code talker
extreme mission, so my completion rate is hovering around 64%.
Also having some fun posing the arm.
3RenhmO.jpg

GavinUK86

Unfortunately, it appears so.
I was expecting the same storyline density from Chapter 1 but it's clear that Kojima ran out of time. Just to note, you do not need to complete the repeat missions to continue the story, just play side ops and do the things with yellow dots (which indicate story relevance) and you'll get the ending eventually.

No, you just completed the first part of the game.
There are new missions in chapter 2, more story, more cutscenes and an ending. The repeated main missions are completely optional, so you don't need to do them to advance the story. If you want to hear some numbers...

... counting the important sideops but not the optional main missions, there are about 25 story related missions in chapter 1 and 15 in chapter 2.

Thanks for the tips!

Guess I'll keep going. Just got the
Strangelove
side op.

valkyre

Jesus Christ the amount of weaponry in this game is unbelievable. Has there ever been a game with such a huge amount of toys to play with??

And that weapon customization is just unreal! I just discovered just how many combinations and options there are... You can create some absolutely ridiculous custom weapons. The underbarell options alone are crazy, you can put from pistols to shotguns, to even grenade launchers that shoot smoke, sleep gas, stun grenades...

Blader

Metal gear isn't a game you play for the story. You play it for the game play and the flashy cut scenes. Fallout 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity and the Witcher series, Vampire the Masquerade are the type of games you play for the story, not the MGS series. MGS story has never been good. Its always been hokey and mediocre at best.

I've been playing Metal Gear for over 10 years predominantly because of the story. It's interesting and weird and fun in its own unique, Kojima way.

Hypron

Been doing a lot of R&D Developments, the MGSVOps challenges, and some side objectives. Ignoring the last subsistence and
code talker
extreme mission, so my completion rate is hovering around 64%.
Also having some fun posing the arm.

Is that a full-scaled arm or just a miniature cup?

So I got all three gunsmiths, and they're all in R&D, but I still don't have the ability to customize anything. At Mission 15 and did the side ops to get all three, all of which are marked as done. Is this a known bug? How can I fix this? I took him out then put him back in but nothing.

So I got all three gunsmiths, and they're all in R&D, but I still don't have the ability to customize anything. At Mission 15 and did the side ops to get all three, all of which are marked as done. Is this a known bug? How can I fix this? I took him out then put him back in but nothing.

Are you going to the customize menu in the ACC? It's the only place where you can customize things.

Ashura_MX

I've been playing Metal Gear for over 10 years predominantly because of the story. It's interesting and weird and fun in its own unique, Kojima way.
In the same boat here, I like all MGSs stories before V, is not so bad up to mission 2(, my current progress). I dont over analyze the plot or try to make much sense of what happens, basically turn brain off and enjoy the cheese.
53% completed and my money was worth it 10% ago, even with grindy sideops. In fact I am somewhat pissed I'm being "forced" to progress the story since no new sideops are popping and
soldiers are dying on MB

I like the ideas around making the game harder.

But first, they'd need to fix the fucking AI that can magically sense you two football fields away because Quiet fired a single unsuppressed shot. Got shot by a tank from across a village because I stood up during a firefight which I wasn't even involved in. Their awareness levels in combat are excessive.

Yeah even with suppressed they can still shoot you. It's kinda ridiculous getting shot by multiple soldiers while playing
total stealth
while still remaining undetected.

Yeah even with suppressed they can still shoot you. It's kinda ridiculous getting shot by multiple soldiers while playing
total stealth
while still remaining undetected.

During an FOB invasion, I managed to escape from an alert, and then when they were searching, I threw a magazine somewhere, and they magically got alerted again and knew exactly where I was.

Maxed out bonds with Quiet ages ago, and D-Dog just now. But I pretty much forgot D-Horse existed once I got to Africa.

Any tips on raising the bond with D-Horse? Do I need to do missions with him, or just ride around for a while?

Markoman

I like the sentiment. Gives it an X-Com vibe. Similar to your suggestions:

1) I think there should be greater consequence to guard alerts. For example, the higher the alert, the more damage you take. It wouldn't be hard to find an in-fiction way to explain this. It would something like the star system in GTA, but instead of more troops, you'd take more damage. It gives the guns blazing approach a more pronounced risk-reward balance.

2) I like your idea of character exhaustion and recovery times. This would be more like X-Com and the much more consequential use of teams in that game.

3) The item unlocks and loadouts are really clunky and unnecessarily complex. Linking that stuff to your MB staff adds too many layers. I think the MB part of the game should be totally divorced from what you do in missions. Keep it simple, effective, challenging, and fun. The MB-development stuff is just one massive mess that keeps me from having fun. It's not hard. It's just tedious. They really needed people with more strategy game experience doing this. Firaxis and others have this down to a science. This MB-development part of the game just feels like it should have been cut from the game entirely.

4) Dying should be easier (see idea 1 above). But to offset that, they could introduce yet another idea borrowed from FC2 and use buddies or MB staff to revive you under certain conditions. Say, if you rescue a prisoner in a mission, that means you get one rescue (like an extra life). That in turn, would take away from your total rewards at the mission end, but it wouldn't be a complete restart and would still pose a greater challenge at the same time.

Just a few ideas. This is a game that seriously needed someone above Kojima saying "No!" from time to time. Konami gave him too much freedom, and it ended up biting both them and Kojima in the ass in the end.

Yes, I had Xcom in mind.
Great additions! Which brings me to the following conclusion:
The gaming industry is a place where big egos occupy well paid positions, but a bunch of us guys can come up with more sophisticated ideas/concepts.

I had an even more ambitious idea for FOB:
Imagine MGSV including an easy to use map editor like the one Far Cry 3 had for multiplayer or something similar to Forge in Halo with more options.
You can create terrain, base assets and spend GMP on stuff like architecture, soldiers, vehicles, select objectives and even create small cutscenes.
You can share those maps online and if someone invades your map you get
1. Nothing if he manages to beat your mission
2. GMP if he fails

You might be thinking "that's not even possible". But hey, Operation Flashpoint had all of this except the terrain editing in 2001.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"I'm extracting him. He's coming too."

Holy shit.

When you're playing as Miller, all of Miller's dialogue can instead be interpreted as an internal monologue wherein Miller constantly doubts himself.

Oh my god that makes the game 10000% more interesting. And seeing 2 Millers in cutscenes mixed with cutscenes would present some sort of crazy schizophrenic mental subplot.

Oh my god Metal Gear Solid V just became the most interesting story in the series.

EfZOhEK.gif

Revven

Holy shit.

When you're playing as Miller, all of Miller's dialogue can instead be interpreted as an internal monologue wherein Miller constantly doubts himself.

Oh my god that makes the game 10000% more interesting. And seeing 2 Millers in cutscenes mixed with cutscenes would present some sort of crazy schizophrenic mental subplot.

Oh my god Metal Gear Solid V just became the most interesting story in the series.

EfZOhEK.gif

PC version confirmed the best and true version of the game. :v

Revven

I can't wait for a fan-made MGSV Secret Theatre, if the Quiet model swaps are anything to go by.

Even better, it'll be more like MGS2's feature where they let you swap in any model with another for cutscenes -- allowing you to do things like replacing Vamp with an old woman lmao.

Beat mission 18 by blowing up the anti air radar, calling in Pequod, putting the cargo to sleep and then putting them into the chopper. Left without much of a commotion.

Jesus Christ the amount of weaponry in this game is unbelievable. Has there ever been a game with such a huge amount of toys to play with??

And that weapon customization is just unreal! I just discovered just how many combinations and options there are... You can create some absolutely ridiculous custom weapons. The underbarell options alone are crazy, you can put from pistols to shotguns, to even grenade launchers that shoot smoke, sleep gas, stun grenades...

Man.... I completely forgot about customizing the weapons!

Top Bottom