• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

dealer-

That mission 45, jeezus.
Took me 2 hrs and went in totally unprepared. I swear some of those later APC had some invincibility time or something. Took like 8 rockets instead of 3 to destroy them.

The game gives you an awful rocket launcher during the mission, so it was probably that.

vpance

The game gives you an awful rocket launcher during the mission, so it was probably that.

Yeah I just made it harder for myself I think. They gave me a rank 2 launcher when I have rank 4s researched already. Didn't want to give up my midway checkpoint so I slogged through it, lol.

So, I've just done mission 31 can anyone confirm if
You actually find out who Skull Face is at some point? Have I missed it? A simple yes or no will suffice.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So, I've just done mission 31 can anyone confirm if
You actually find out who Skull Face is at some point? Have I missed it? A simple yes or no will suffice.

There was already a long ass tape explaining his backstory in GZ

Though his military involvement is certainly made clearer in later tapes

Ambitious

Just finished mission 25, but now I'm stumped.
I need to identify infected MB soldiers, but I have no idea how. I've tried watching them from a distance, see if they cough, sneeze, twitch, or exhibit any kind of weird behavior. I've tried walking up to them to see whether they react differently (stuttering, maybe?). Nothing so far. I must be completely off-base. Could someone give me a hint, please? Just a hint, not the solution.

I noticed most soldiers on the Combat platform and the Medical platform are wearing gas masks, while no one on the Command platform does. Not sure whether that means anything.

There was already a long ass tape explaining his backstory in GZ

Though his military involvement is certainly made clearer in later tapes

So, in the grand scheme of things in MGS Story terms, he's a no one? I will admit, I didnt really gather all the tapes in GZ but I have been in TPP.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I need to identify infected MB soldiers, but I have no idea how. I've tried watching them from a distance, see if they cough, sneeze, twitch, or exhibit any kind of weird behavior. I've tried walking up to them to see whether they react differently (stuttering, maybe?). Nothing so far. I must be completely off-base. Could someone give me a hint, please? Just a hint, not the solution.

I noticed most soldiers on the Combat platform and the Medical platform are wearing gas masks, while no one on the Command platform does. Not sure whether that means anything.
Hint:
Words that kill.

aka language

So, in the grand scheme of things in MGS Story terms, he's a no one? I will admit, I didnt really gather all the tapes in GZ but I have been in TPP.

He apparently played a substantial role in Snake Eater

dealer-

Yeah I just made it harder for myself I think. They gave me a rank 2 launcher when I have rank 4s researched already. Didn't want to give up my midway checkpoint so I slogged through it, lol.

You could've used a supply drop. I think I used it to get the Battle Dress during that mission. I ended up going inside the building and calling in bombardments to take out most of the tanks in end. I'm sure you got greater satisfaction from your method though :)

It's not someone you physically see on the people. Just look for a common element in the quarantine staff management section. Press triangle a few times so you can see their details.

Markoman

I never had, or have a problem with the camera, controls or shooting of the first 3 games, but okay, then compared to MGS 4.

Ok, never played 4, but I have watched a let's play.
See the thing is...as time goes on you grow out of certain things.
I used to love stylish slo-mode action cinema, but then reached a point where I couldn't enjoy it anymore. Same here...when I saw how fragmented the gameplay was in GoP as a result of too many lengthy cutscenes, I ditched my plan to buy a PS3 just for this game.

I think a middle-ground between GoP and TPP could have worked for me.

dity

Something that feels insanely satisfying in this game is running. The heavy feeling, the thumping sound, you really get a sense of speed. Running up along-side a retreating enemy and stunning them before you extract them is seriously awesome feeling.

Yes, this is my main issue with this game. You become OP very fast simply by doing busy-work (see Skyrim, Witcher 3, Assassins Creed,...)
An extreme difficulty from the beginnig with special unlocks tied to it could have helped.

As it is now Reflex, Auto-marking, buddies, Regen-health, supply-drops make the game far to easy and ruin the stealth aspect, so I'm making it harder for me by playing "my game". If the ai was able to call enourmous amounts of reinforcement from main base (trucks with 10 soldiers, 2-3 tanks, helis) it would change things drastically, but I guess this is too much for PS4/One to keep the 60fps.
None of those things actually bother me. The lack of a health bar and not knowing how much screen damage results in death just really messes with how confident I am in running in and gunning in this game.

Draper

Jesus, DD can be awesome.

Going through now S-ranking each level via complete stealth.

2 people rushing towards the room I'm in because I fultoned 2 prisoners.

Right before they open the door, 'Bark'

I make my escape once they're lured away.

Markoman

Something that feels insanely satisfying in this game is running. The heavy feeling, the thumping sound, you really get a sense of speed.

Haha, I used one of my MB-girls on a sideops, but I had to switch to another char 5 minutes later because she sounded like a heavy smoker after sprinting...Quiet's humming was enjoyable compared to this.

Something that feels insanely satisfying in this game is running. The heavy feeling, the thumping sound, you really get a sense of speed. Running up along-side a retreating enemy and stunning them before you extract them is seriously awesome feeling.
I noticed today that when you run and surpass a tree or something you hear the "wooosh" on your side.

dity

I noticed today that when you run and surpass a tree or something you hear the "wooosh" on your side.
Seriously? I'm going to look for little subtle details like this next time I'm playing and just looking for animals to save and enemies to, uh... "save".

Markoman

Guys, you know what the real issue with Skullface is?
Remember Senator Armstrong? Best villain of Gen 7?
Yeah, both had their cool monologue, but Skullface couldn't prove that he is a bad ass.
The moment of surprise when you came to realize that this bulky-suit-politician stereotype was a total power-house.
I really don't understand how Kojima ignored this....

akira28

Jesus, DD can be awesome.

Going through now S-ranking each level via complete stealth.

2 people rushing towards the room I'm in because I fultoned 2 prisoners.

Right before they open the door, 'Bark'

I make my escape once they're lured away.

I was hiding behind a rock, in a crevice thing, prone, some guards 20 m away, and a damned "thats a Russian Gunship...." shining its searchlight around us. I'm like...there's no way it's going to hit us...there's no way... Then it swings around, pauses right over us. Fucking DD jumps between me and the searchlight, creating a shadow for me to hide in.

I love that dog.

conman

Yes, this is my main issue with this game. You become OP very fast simply by doing busy-work (see Skyrim, Witcher 3, Assassins Creed,...)
An extreme difficulty from the beginnig with special unlocks tied to it could have helped.

As it is now Reflex, Auto-marking, buddies, Regen-health, supply-drops make the game far to easy and ruin the stealth aspect, so I'm making it harder for me by playing "my game". If the ai was able to call enourmous amounts of reinforcement from main base (trucks with 10 soldiers, 2-3 tanks, helis) it would change things drastically, but I guess this is too much for PS4/One to keep the 60fps.
I've noticed this too (about 20hrs in). And I don't mean to crap on this game, since it does so much very well.

But in line with what you're saying, something that still sets a game like Far Cry 2 above and apart from MGSV is that in FC2 when shit goes wrong, you barely scrape by (and half the time you stumble into an even worse situation immediately afterward!). In contrast, in MGSV when shit goes wrong, you never run the risk of actually dying or losing anything. There are too many "nets" to catch you when you fail at stealth, then there are more "nets" to catch you if you fail at run-and-gun, and so on. I just never feel like I stand to lose anything, so now the missions are starting to get boring and repetitive (I'm at main story mission 12 and I've done a dozen or more side ops). I haven't needed to switch up my loadouts, my tactics, or much of anything. Every mission gets solved in the same way. But like I said, I don't mean to shit on the game. It gave me a solid 15 hours of fun (other than the tedious base management). I just wish it let players have more freedom sooner. There are too many progression gates. And I wish there was a way to feel a greater sense of "risk" during the missions. I can see what this game might have been with more time and money, but in some ways, I think it might have been a victim of its own already lofty ambitions and big budget.

It's both the best game I've played this year and the worst.

vpance

You could've used a supply drop. I think I used it to get the Battle Dress during that mission. I ended up going inside the building and calling in bombardments to take out most of the tanks in end. I'm sure you got greater satisfaction from your method though :)

Nah I resorted to using bombardments too. Whatever it takes :)

Done mission 46. Loved the ending, time to read up on the spoiler thread bitching.

Kopite

Endgame spoilers:
Should I do episode 46 first or Sideops 150? I know Sideops 150 is meant to be really hard, what sort of prep do I need? Is 45 hard too? Oh and what about Paz's story. Can I finish that afterwards? I've got 2 more photos to show her I think.

Markoman

I've noticed this too (about 20hrs in). And I don't mean to crap on this game, since it does so much very well.

But in line with what you're saying, something that still sets a game like Far Cry 2 above and apart from MGSV is that in FC2 when shit goes wrong, you barely scrape by (and half the time you stumble into an even worse situation immediately afterward!). In contrast, in MGSV when shit goes wrong, you never run the risk of actually dying or losing anything. There are too many "nets" to catch you when you fail at stealth, then there are more "nets" to catch you if you fail at run-and-gun, and so on. I just never feel like I stand to lose anything, so now the missions are starting to get boring and repetitive (I'm at main story mission 12 and I've done a dozen or more side ops). I haven't needed to switch up my loadouts, my tactics, or much of anything. Every mission gets solved in the same way. But like I said, I don't mean to shit on the game. It gave me a solid 15 hours of fun (other than the tedious base management). I just wish it let players have more freedom sooner. There are too many progression gates. And I wish there was a way to feel a greater sense of "risk" during the missions. I can see what this game might have been with more time and money, but in some ways, I think it might have been a victim of its own already lofty ambitions and big budget.

It's both the best game I've played this year and the worst.

I know what you mean. I had the perfect idea for this:
1. If you chose MB-Staff for side missions or replaying main-missions you will get more GMP whilst using Snake is extremely expensive.
2. If the MB-staff member dies - he stays dead.If he finishes the mission his stats will be increased.
3. Using Snake for too long will also exhaust him. Showering won't help and will only be a cosmetic thing.

What do you think? :D

GavinUK86

So I just got the end credits,
after beating Sal... blahblah and Skull Face dying
, and am I understanding this correctly.....
chapter 2 is mostly chapter 1 missions just on harder difficulties
? Not sure if I need to tag that but whatever, I will just incase.

charsace

what do you think is better here?
wasn't so good in the older games?

The stealth game here is better than it has ever been. You have so many ways into places, to complete objectives, and a lot of tools. The controls are the best they have ever been in the series and allows you to flow from stealth to Rambo and back again easy.

Endgame spoilers:
Should I do episode 46 first or Sideops 150? I know Sideops 150 is meant to be really hard, what sort of prep do I need? Is 45 hard too? Oh and what about Paz's story. Can I finish that afterwards? I've got 2 more photos to show her I think.

I've heard others say the
Paz scenes stopped working but it carried on fine for me

Markoman

The stealth game here is better than it has ever been. You have so many ways into places, to complete objectives, and a lot of tools. The controls are the best they have ever been in the series and allows you to flow from stealth to Rambo and back again easy.

100% this. On a side note: Why do people often refer to "Rambo" when they are talking about the "Guns-blazing"-approach? If you rewatch the movies - Rambo to some degree is maybe THE stealth character of action-cinema. First part of every Rambo movie=stealth, second part= big guns. TPP is a Rambo simulator.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Unfortunately, it appears so.
I was expecting the same storyline density from Chapter 1 but it's clear that Kojima ran out of time. Just to note, you do not need to complete the repeat missions to continue the story, just play side ops and do the things with yellow dots (which indicate story relevance) and you'll get the ending eventually.

Kindekuma

Banned
Endgame spoilers:

Side Ops 150 isn't hard, you just get an intel file and then mission 45 begins. Dress for battle on for sideop 150 because you can't go back to the ACC.
Just take care of 46 for now for the story.

charsace

Metal gear isn't a game you play for the story. You play it for the game play and the flashy cut scenes. Fallout 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity and the Witcher series, Vampire the Masquerade are the type of games you play for the story, not the MGS series. MGS story has never been good. Its always been hokey and mediocre at best.

Majine

Banned
Metal gear isn't a game you play for the story. You play it for the game play and the flashy cut scenes. Fallout 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity and the Witcher series, Vampire the Masquerade are the type of games you play for the story, not the MGS series.

I play MGS for the story primarily, and I enjoy it very much.

Ambitious

Hint:
Words that kill.

aka language

He apparently played a substantial role in Snake Eater

It's not someone you physically see on the people. Just look for a common element in the quarantine staff management section. Press triangle a few times so you can see their details.

Ooooooh. Thanks!
I put all of them into quarantine, except for a few in the brig. I can't seem to reassign them.

conman

I know what you mean. I had the perfect idea for this:
1. If you chose MB-Staff for side missions or replaying main-missions you will get more GMP whilst using Snake is extremely expensive.
2. If the MB-staff member dies - he stays dead.If he finishes the mission his stats will be increased.
3. Using Snake for too long will also exhaust him. Showering won't help and will only be a cosmetic thing.

What do you think? :D
I like the sentiment. Gives it an X-Com vibe. Similar to your suggestions:

1) I think there should be greater consequence to guard alerts. For example, the higher the alert, the more damage you take. It wouldn't be hard to find an in-fiction way to explain this. It would something like the star system in GTA, but instead of more troops, you'd take more damage. It gives the guns blazing approach a more pronounced risk-reward balance.

2) I like your idea of character exhaustion and recovery times. This would be more like X-Com and the much more consequential use of teams in that game.

3) The item unlocks and loadouts are really clunky and unnecessarily complex. Linking that stuff to your MB staff adds too many layers. I think the MB part of the game should be totally divorced from what you do in missions. Keep it simple, effective, challenging, and fun. The MB-development stuff is just one massive mess that keeps me from having fun. It's not hard. It's just tedious. They really needed people with more strategy game experience doing this. Firaxis and others have this down to a science. This MB-development part of the game just feels like it should have been cut from the game entirely.

4) Dying should be easier (see idea 1 above). But to offset that, they could introduce yet another idea borrowed from FC2 and use buddies or MB staff to revive you under certain conditions. Say, if you rescue a prisoner in a mission, that means you get one rescue (like an extra life). That in turn, would take away from your total rewards at the mission end, but it wouldn't be a complete restart and would still pose a greater challenge at the same time.

Just a few ideas. This is a game that seriously needed someone above Kojima saying "No!" from time to time. Konami gave him too much freedom, and it ended up biting both them and Kojima in the ass in the end.

Lolcomin

Banned
Metal gear isn't a game you play for the story. You play it for the game play and the flashy cut scenes. Fallout 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity and the Witcher series, Vampire the Masquerade are the type of games you play for the story, not the MGS series. MGS story has never been good. Its always been hokey and mediocre at best.
Unpopular but true opinion. The "story" is a ton on twists, retcons and bullshit shoe horned fan service that these mgs fans brainwash to love, just like ocelot

Haunted

No, you just completed the first part of the game.
There are new missions in chapter 2, more story, more cutscenes and an ending. The repeated main missions are completely optional, so you don't need to do them to advance the story. If you want to hear some numbers...

... counting the important sideops but not the optional main missions, there are about 25 story related missions in chapter 1 and 15 in chapter 2.

Lanrutcon

I like the ideas around making the game harder.

But first, they'd need to fix the fucking AI that can magically sense you two football fields away because Quiet fired a single unsuppressed shot. Got shot by a tank from across a village because I stood up during a firefight which I wasn't even involved in. Their awareness levels in combat are excessive.

conman

I like the ideas around making the game harder.

But first, they'd need to fix the fucking AI that can magically sense you two football fields away because Quiet fired a single unsuppressed shot. Got shot by a tank from across a village because I stood up during a firefight which I wasn't even involved in. Their awareness levels in combat are excessive.
You're right that the AI can sometimes be a little too keyed in. But at least the AI is interesting, even if it isn't always realistic.

Also btw I think a single unsuppressed rifle shot at 200 yards in open ground would be PLENTY loud. No magical senses necessary! ;)

Lanrutcon

You're right that the AI can sometimes be a little too keyed in. But at least the AI is interesting, even if it isn't always realistic.

Also btw I think a single unsuppressed rifle shot at 200 yards would be PLENTY loud. No magical senses necessary! ;)

She fired the round from the north side of the village. I was on the south side. Tank neatly turned 180 degrees and shot me :) It's like once combat has been initiated that detection rules go out the window.

Unpopular but true opinion. The "story" is a ton on twists, retcons and bullshit shoe horned fan service that these mgs fans brainwash to love, just like ocelot

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion. Maybe with the hardcore fans, those that are going to be the most vocal but from my own experience the story in MGS has usually been looked down upon as naive, half baked, wishy washy, and convoluted beyond absurdity that is poorly written surrounded by sexism and supernatural nonsense. And saying that the games are still fantastic.

Top Bottom