• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Randam

Just finished Mission 19 and
we started developing a metal gear battle tank or some shit that's supposed to be on the R&D platform
but I couldn't find it. Do I need to visit this at any point? I really can't be bothering spending any mroe time in mother base than absolutely necessary/

its on the bottom of that platform.

Finallyyyyyyyyyyy I am done.

CQBmOajUYAAHoYM.jpg
How many hours?

Also struggling with Mission 45.
Getting one shot by the tiniest amount of splash damage is not good. Also it feels like its punishing me for not paying major attention to the mother base stuff as I have not researched powerful rockets and I can't quit the mission to do so.

Not really sure this is a spoiler exactly but...
fulton yourself out with the cargo container.

Renewed

I'm close. These fucking deployment missions.

Throw A+ troops or basically your inconsequential troops that don't cause a major dip in success rating. I always sent A+ with the necessary vehicles and it would be a 50% chance of winning. I was lucky enough to get through all of them without losing more than twice.

mission 45
use decoys... they're huge for distracting all the APCs so you can just focus on the tanks the second they appear.

and use the fully upgrade non-locking rocket launcher... the other ones are not as good.... Honey Bee takes 2-3x more hits to destroy a heli and it's lock-on range is horrid anyhow. seriously, it should have been basically fully upgraded every chance you get since basically mission 8-9 anyhow.

Demoskinos

How many hours?

About 250? Although tbh at least 30 of those hours were just the game idling while I watched stuff on YouTube or whatnot. So I'd say 200 hours is the actual ballpark for Platinum trophy. Give or take depending on how much you fuck around with FOB mode and other stuff.

BadWolf

mission 45
use decoys... they're huge for distracting all the APCs so you can just focus on the tanks the second they appear.

and use the fully upgrade non-locking rocket launcher... the other ones are not as good.... Honey Bee takes 2-3x more hits to destroy a heli and it's lock-on range is horrid anyhow. seriously, it should have been basically fully upgraded every chance you get since basically mission 8-9 anyhow.

Yup, fultoning armored vehicles is also very effective there.

My strat was basically running around and shooting rockets (while using the palace as cover) and picking my moments to fulton vehicles.

Is there some trick to the key dispatch missions or do I just have to choke down a 50-60 percent chance of winning with a 20 percent loss rate? I just lost two long term soldiers beating one and I'm slightly miffed. Also how many are there? I'm on the s rank difficulty ones and they just keep coming.

"Hurry, I need to rush to the defense of a poorly-designed mission".
45 is awesome ;( i enjoyed it so much
Is there some trick to the key dispatch missions or do I just have to choke down a 50-60 percent chance of winning with a 20 percent loss rate? I just lost two long term soldiers beating one and I'm slightly miffed. Also how many are there? I'm on the s rank difficulty ones and they just keep coming.
you can manually choose your soldiers and usually get an extra 3-9% success rate because it doesn't always choose the very best soldiers for a given 'grade'

Grades are not absolute values per se... two As can actually have different overall attack power depending on who's A graph bar is taller

so if you choose the very top sorted A (the tallest As) you can usually get a few extra points

other than that tho, it's a crap shoot

Shit, mission 45 was hard, but fun as hell. Of course, except for those cheap deaths.

Such a satisfying feeling when fultoning those vehicles.

Just 46 to go... Damn, its been a month, but I dont want it to end, and at the sale time I want to know the truth.

So
46 and 48-50
all unlocked at once, as well as side op
, but I still don't have
. Any particular order to play these in, or doesn't really matter?

Edited in tags for the numbers to be safe.

doctor_zzim

Neo Member
Finallyyyyyyyyyyy I am done.

CQBmOajUYAAHoYM.jpg

I'm at 88% myself, just have to S rank and all tasks and I'm done. Any tips for any missions? Also do you have to develop everything to get a 100% ratio? I'll probably develop everything either way but I've been wondering if you have to.

There is one tip I can pass for anyone who is having a hard time S ranking Mission 9:
It's actually not that hard, just fly in at the northmost point and wait for the first tank to drive by, leave your horse in the middle of the road and fulton it when it stops, then just go wait somewhere safe behind a rock and call in the chopper when the time's up. Do NOT use any items or weapons, because you'll S Rank by getting the 200k "No Traces" bonus. Very easy method.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Throw A+ troops or basically your inconsequential troops that don't cause a major dip in success rating. I always sent A+ with the necessary vehicles and it would be a 50% chance of winning. I was lucky enough to get through all of them without losing more than twice.

I did. Just unlucky. I finally finished it like an hour ago.

Now I'm 100% and can just sign in for the daily rewards now.

Unit24

Is it just me, or was there a patch that broke D-Horse's movement? When I try to steer with him, he suddenly jerks left or right unnaturally, and trying to steer too much will cause him to just stop.

Elios83

Finished the game last week.
Overall it was an amazing experience, probably the best this gen has delivered so far among with Bloodborne and The Witcher.
Gameplay imo is the best in the series, all the different mechanics are perfectly blended and balanced, once you know the rules, it really feels like you're doing an infiltration mission.
I've also enjoyed the story although probably is not the best in the series, it has the usual absurdities that MGS fans have become used to
vocal cord parasites LOL
, but it does a good job at keeping the player interested and I like the way it's tied with the two original 8-bit MGS games with the final plot twist, it also explains certain things about Ocelot, Miller and other important characters. Quiet was also a really great character.
Is it perfect? No.
Second chapter is clearly rushed, forcing gamers to replay a bunch of old missions at a high difficulty setting is a cheap thing that I didn't expect from a game director like Kojima.
Also Mother Base as a concept is cool but it's underveloped because there's very little stuff you can do there, they should have added more places to go to trigger cutscenes. For example
no reason why we can't go visit the kids when they're at the base, also there's no way to meet with Miller and Ocelot
They also could have added a couple of extra boss battles.
There's certainly the feeling that the game needed more time and Kojima had even bigger plans but it's clear that the way things went with Konami unfortunately had an impact.
Actually we should be happy that the game has such a high quality with the dev team working in such hostile conditions. The last year was not easy for the dev team and Kojima.

Second chapter is clearly rushed, forcing gamers to replay a bunch of old missions at a high difficulty setting is a cheap thing that I didn't expect from a game director like Kojima.
You don't have to do the repeat missions at all, you can actually do other activities to get cutscenes to trigger.

About 250? Although tbh at least 30 of those hours were just the game idling while I watched stuff on YouTube or whatnot. So I'd say 200 hours is the actual ballpark for Platinum trophy. Give or take depending on how much you fuck around with FOB mode and other stuff.

I'm taking a break atm at 50%. I suspect I'll pick at the extra stuff for a long while.

Idk why people hate this game now I think its great, easy goty for me.

Lynx_7

I did mission
40 [Extreme] Cloaked in Silence
a while back. I saw some people complaining about it, but honestly,
I thought it was actually a really good boss fight, much better than the original version since you can't "cheat" with supply drops or tank her shots and retaliate. Knowing she will one-hit kill you if you make a mistake makes for a very tense and high stakes battle. I had to use a lot of distractions in my arsenal to draw away her attention, carefully sneak to a good position where I could shoot her and then immediately run to a new vantage point while trying to keep track of her position. Made for a very stealthy and intense fight. I'm not sure why some people consider this to be the worst sniper fight of the series, imo it only really loses against The End, which isn't even a bad thing anyway considering The End is possibly the best boss fight of the entire franchise.

I think boss fights in this game are entirely underrated. Between Quiet, Sahelanthropus, the female Skulls and Eli, I'd say they're good. I'll admit that the male Skulls can be quite frustrating and the man on fire was disappointing, but it's not like previous entries didn't have disappointing boss fights either. My only big gripe is that it didn't have more bosses with cool personalities and backstories.

Elios83

You don't have to do the repeat missions at all, you can actually do other activities to get cutscenes to trigger.

Didn't work for me. I did other activities, all important side missions (yellow ones) but certain new key missions in chapter 2 simply weren't unlocked until I completed those at the hard difficulty.
And defeating the
skulls at the airport at extreme....was....extreme :D
Still the point about chapter 2 remains, it's clearly undercooked with just a bunch of missions to end the story...and then I've also read about the missing and unfinished episode 51 :/
They could finish it and make it available through DLC but they won't, the dev team at this point is all but disbanded.

I did mission
40 [Extreme] Cloaked in Silence
a while back. I saw some people complaining about it, but honestly,
I thought it was actually a really good boss fight, much better than the original version since you can't "cheat" with supply drops or tank her shots and retaliate. Knowing she will one-hit kill you if you make a mistake makes for a very tense and high stakes battle. I had to use a lot of distractions in my arsenal to draw away her attention, carefully sneak to a good position where I could shoot her and then immediately run to a new vantage point while trying to keep track of her position. Made for a very stealthy and intense fight. I'm not sure why some people consider this to be the worst sniper fight of the series, imo it only really loses agains The End, which isn't even a bad thing anyway considering The End is possibly the best boss fight of the entire franchise.

I think boss fights in this game are entirely underrated. Between Quiet, Sahelanthropus, the female Skulls and Eli, I'd say they're good. I'll admit that the male Skulls can be quite frustrating and the man on fire was disappointing, but it's not like previous entries didn't have disappointing boss fights either. My only big gripe is that it didn't have more bosses with cool personalities and backstories.

i loved it too.
i was able to stay in the same spot during the entire fight, but i had to die a half-dozen times to figure out the timing of it. i would pop up, and bait her into shooting, then pop back up and shoot her in the face. i just used DDog to tag her when she moved. it was really intense with 1 hit kills
. definitely want to play it again using new tactics

Gorillaz

Have yet to do FOB's

what's the general feeling yay or nay I really don't want to have to stop doing everything because Im being attacked every 2 seconds

Alo0oy

Banned
FINALLY, I got the platinum.

Damn, that
Quiet Mission
was ass, extracting all the vehicles AND
not letting her get hit
was painful.

EDIT: Why is my completion still 99%?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Have yet to do FOB's

what's the general feeling yay or nay I really don't want to have to stop doing everything because Im being attacked every 2 seconds

Looks like the FOB heat has winded down. If you have a good R&D level and enough soldiers to spare to level your security team up to a respectable level, you can immediately put a lot of security in your base.

I also suggest having lots of the green weapons developed (the ones that say that are used by the security team), decoys and mines since that also helps with the security rating of the base, which works a lot as a deterrant, since people won't invade a level 30 FOB.

That being said you need to upgrade your struts also immediately since it puts a lot more distance between the invader and the objective, this distance also helps with the security rating. Focus a lot on Base Development since people seem to invade that one to get resources.

I was also very scared of FOB's at first, but I have done a couple of unstealthy invasions and it seems like people don't even check the game anymore. I have not gotten retaliations, and I don't even have a nuke.

...wow, screw 45.

It took me a good while to actually do it and I was very tired of being asked if I wanted the Chicken Hat. There are some cheese tactics you can do, though.
Watched some dude fulton everything out by summoning a whole bunch of sandstorms. I did it legit until the one-shotting tanks showed up. Then I just marked the last two tanks, hid indoors, and waited for Mother Base blow them up.

Make sure you have your rockets upgraded and keep the supply drops going.

This is for after Mission 25:

Do I have to wait for every single soldier to get out the brig/come back from a mission and put them all in quarantine (by the language) and when everyone with that language is in quarantine, do I put everyone back to their normal positions?

Didn't work for me. I did other activities, all important side missions (yellow ones) but certain new key missions in chapter 2 simply weren't unlocked until I completed those at the hard difficulty.
And defeating the
skulls at the airport at extreme....was....extreme :D
Still the point about chapter 2 remains, it's clearly undercooked with just a bunch of missions to end the story...and then I've also read about the missing and unfinished episode 51 :/
They could finish it and make it available through DLC but they won't, the dev team at this point is all but disbanded.
I completed Chapter 2 without doing a single repeat "hard mode" mission. I don't know exactly what triggers it (other than completing the yellow marked missions and side ops) but doing the extreme missions is most certainly not a requirement like most people think.

Alo0oy

Banned
FINALLY, I got the platinum.

Damn, that
Quiet Mission
was ass, extracting all the vehicles AND
not letting her get hit
was painful.

EDIT: Why is my completion still 99%?

Never mind, my completion is now 100% after developing Gray Fox's suit.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
My mission 45 strategy was to use the
anti-material automatic sniper rifle. It killed most vehicles in a single clip or less. I honestly thought the mission was pretty rad, except for the how quickly you can get killed. Even using the battle dress stuff could take you out fairly swiftly. It was frustrating but I still enjoyed it.

KarmaCow

My mission 45 strategy was to use the
anti-material automatic sniper rifle. It killed most vehicles in a single clip or less. I honestly thought the mission was pretty rad, except for the how quickly you can get killed. Even using the battle dress stuff could take you out fairly swiftly. It was frustrating but I still enjoyed it.

If it wasn't for
the one hit kills from red tanks, I wouldn't have a real problem with it. It's just makes it annoying when an errant shot can end the mission.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Have yet to do FOB's

Nay. Unbalanced, cheating #mess of a mode. I want to like it, but the balance and glitch issues = no go for me.

Alo0oy

Banned
If it wasn't for
the one hit kills from red tanks, I wouldn't have a real problem with it. It's just makes it annoying when an errant shot can end the mission.

I was annoyed when I started playing it, but it grew on me,
running around & extracting vehicles while collecting the supply drops & shooting the soldiers was a lot of fun, I didn't even bother stealthing it, if you position yourself well while running, you can use the vehicles as cover & the vehicles won't be able to shoot you because you're too close, as soon as you extract the vehicle shoot the soldier that got out of it with your assault rifle. The Tanks part can be more difficult, but you can use the rocks on the left side as cover to extract the first tank, & then use the same strategy of using the tanks as cover.

Extracting them is actually easier than destroying them, the only difficult part is protecting Quiet while doing so to finish all mission tasks. That was really BS imo.

malfcn

That feeling when you take every guy in an fob, to have a head shot but count and get spotted.. And over run by everyone. Fucking aggravated.

And it happens again. Hell.

Top Bottom