• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You all make me feel like a noob, finished the whole game at 67% with reflex mode ha ha ha...

Don't worry about it. 100% requires doing Combat Deployment and a few other things (which get you achievements anyway) so if you finish the story while low percentage it doesn't mean anything.

wiibomb

Don't worry about it. 100% requires doing Combat Deployment and a few other things (which get you achievements anyway) so if you finish the story while low percentage it doesn't mean anything.

I'm talking more about the reflex mode, everyone seems to disable it and I had it all the time

I'm building that 100% now

I'm at like 46% and I just finished Mission 28. I've been doing almost every single Side-Op on the way through (as in, if a new one pops up, I'll do them till I run out of new ones and then I move to the main missions). I also have 65 hours right now.

Also, for Mission 28,
if I bring Quiet against the Skulls, is there a different cut scene or anything like that?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm at like 46% and I just finished Mission 28. I've been doing almost every single Side-Op on the way through (as in, if a new one pops up, I'll do them till I run out of new ones and then I move to the main missions). I also have 65 hours right now.

Take it from me: Don't do this. Wait until you're in the back half THEN do that while finishing the story. Save yourself a bit of a headache.

Quick

Banned
The music selection in this game is really on point.

I picked up True by Spandeau Ballet while on mission 18. I was just sneaking around and I heard it faintly, and found the radio with the tape.

Debating on changing Take On Me with Maneater or True for my heli music. Take On Me seems perfect though.

gelf

My mission 45 strategy was to use the
anti-material automatic sniper rifle. It killed most vehicles in a single clip or less. I honestly thought the mission was pretty rad, except for the how quickly you can get killed. Even using the battle dress stuff could take you out fairly swiftly. It was frustrating but I still enjoyed it.
Really this is why I prefer procurement on site games where you know what equipment is available to a player at any one time. I do not have many of the weapons people are suggesting as a solution to this mission as I was getting by fine not using them until now. Mother base stuff was a distraction I'd tried to use as minimally as possible.

And since this mission doesn't let me quit back to base I'm stuck with what I developed.

Renewed

I think at no point in this game did I complete any sort of Op and not do something related to Mother Base, whether visiting or having something developed. And the base expansions were always happening. Now that I finished the game I just have to focus on FOB and other development projects I'd like to do.
I didn't get enough time with Quiet in her Sniper Wolf outfit, I'll never forget her

I picked up True by Spandeau Ballet while on mission 18. I was just sneaking around and I heard it faintly, and found the radio with the tape.

Debating on changing Take On Me with Maneater or True for my heli music. Take On Me seems perfect though.

I love just letting the music selections play while I do Shooting Galleries or running about on Mother Base or when I'm out on free roam. For my heli music though, I haven't taken it off Heaven's Divide.

fritzo

HELP: The game won't load for me on PS4! While playing Mission 12 after I was spotted by the heli I decided to start at my last check point, then the game wouldn't load back to that. After several full "close app" restarts it still won't load. I even tried being offline hoping that would work. I'm currently stuck on the loading screen after the opening menu. Help!!! BTW I'm using the 3.0 beta.

update: game still never loaded. I ended up using a recent PS Plus saved data file from Sunday morning. That worked, but lost progress of course. Anyone else come across this type of bug?

I was very disappointed with the music. Heard very little original stuff that was good. They even changed the song, from ground zeroes, that plays when the helicopter picks you up. That song was awesome.

I'm super annoyed at the fact that the mgs theme has been absent since mgs4 (it was dropped when it was discovered that it was plagiarized). Only to play tpp and realize they licensed a shit ton of music for this game!

Such a big expensive game with tons of licensed music, and kojima just couldn't bring himself to license the mgs theme so they could bring it back for the sendoff???
Almost seems intentional. And it's really disappointing.

Hell you only hear the peacewalker theme on the loadout screen or on a tape =(

That mgs theme used to be so prominent, and the last game didn't include it at all.

So last night i finished chapter 1 and i mostly loved it.im now onto chapter 2 and its looking like the mission formula has gone a bit strange. I read that only some of tme missions are needed in this chapter and i can unlock them with side ops?

I have only done 17 so far soy question is this.

If i only do the main missions needed and unlock them via side ops, how long in hours roughly is left?

I have enjoyed this game a lot but im ready to move on soon.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was very disappointed with the music. Heard very little original stuff that was good.

The original stuff is great. Very John Carpenter in places. I particularly love Nitrogen (?), that's super tense.

Also, I don't think that getting the MGS theme back in is as simple as "licensing" it since (as you pointed out) it was plagiarised in the first place. I don't a think a license would help with copyright/intellectual property infringement. They could license the original piece, I guess, but (ironically) that's hardly the same.

Something very weird going on with the side ops in Ch. 2
After I cleared all of the Mine Clearing ones, I got a trophy and an extra 5000 heroism for it, but I seem to be getting +5000 Heroism every time I clear a Side Op after that now.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The alert theme from MGS was in Ground Zeroes though. I think that Kojima just dropped the fanservice here, like it or not.

There's no infringement issue with that tune. The one the poster is talking about is the MGS Theme, the one from MGS2/3 that copied a melody near note for note from a decades old Russian Orchestral piece.

The original stuff is great. Very John Carpenter in places. I particularly love Nitrogen (?), that's super tense.

Also, I don't think that getting the MGS theme back in is as simple as "licensing" it since (as you pointed out) it was plagiarised in the first place. I don't a think a license would help with copyright/intellectual property infringement. They could license the original piece, I guess, but (ironically) that's hardly the same.

There must be a way around it. They must have had to license the original for the HD collections. They came out long after mgs4.

If think they'd have to license the song that it was plagiarized from. Then they could remix it however they liked.

Isn't there a legal issue behind that? I don't think Konami wants to risk it, or something along those lines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

Yes but that's a hurdle they've already crossed with the hd collections. Or they'd have had to remove the music.

And to the other guy (sorry I'm in my edit on mobile(edit nvm I already quoted you sorry) I didn't say there was no good original music. Just not as much as usual.

Original music is one area I thought the game was lacking the most.

There's no infringement issue with that tune. The one the poster is talking about is the MGS Theme, the one from MGS2/3 that copied a melody near note for note from a decades old Russian Orchestral piece.
That tune was already in the first trailer of MGS and also in the credits of the final theme in the game, always mixed with the alert theme. The alert itself doesn't have it, so Kojima could have used it because it's just as iconic, but he didn't. I think that they could have used the "plagiarized" tune too if they wanted, given how 90% of the plagiarism in music is proven wrong, they just didn't care.

That tune was already in the first trailer of MGS and also in the credits of the final theme in the game, always mixed with the alert theme. The alert itself doesn't have it, so Kojima could have used it because it's just as iconic, but he didn't. I think that they could have used the "plagiarized" tune too if they wanted, given how 90% of the plagiarism in music is proven wrong, they just didn't care.

No argument that if they'd wanted to they could have used it.

But as far as wether or not it's plagiarized, ya, nearly note for note.

Granted Harry gregson Williams improved on it in every way.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Question on post-31 missions: do I have to beat the rehashes in order to unlock more story missions? I have no desire to do the advanced ones at this point but I can't figure out how to unlock more yellows without doing them

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I was pleasantly surprised to see that im only missing around five or so blueprints even though i didnt really make them a priority

aro52

Question on post-31 missions: do I have to beat the rehashes in order to unlock more story missions? I have no desire to do the advanced ones at this point but I can't figure out how to unlock more yellows without doing them

Not necessary. I just kept doing Side Ops and focusing on building out Mother Base, and every once in a while, a new yellow story would pop.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There must be a way around it. They must have had to license the original for the HD collections. They came out long after mgs4.

If think they'd have to license the song that it was plagiarized from. Then they could remix it however they liked.

I'm not sure that's how it works though.

TitusTroy

Are you out of Golden Crescent? Sleep grenades and mines require that.

I didn't know that...I finished the main storyline so I just assumed I had plenty of inventory of everything (except Fuel Resources)...everything else got resupplied with the Supply Drops that I didn't even check the requirements

GeoGonzo

I was pleasantly surprised to see that im only missing around five or so blueprints even though i didnt really make them a priority
Yeah, same here. Probably mostly because we end up infiltrating every outpost several times and soldiers on a chokehold are super eager to point out how there's some blueprints nearby.

Kiko

So what do you guys recommend for for 45? (I'm almost there.)
Lvl 5 rockets?
Thanks.

I did it like:
Wore Battledress, spammed GROM on everything, constans supply requests. Quiet took out the humans running around. Oneshotted the Gunship. Actually it took super long but I just stayed where you spawn after the cutscene, using the house ruin as cover. I didn't een have to retry the mission. Not sure why it was so easy for me, just go out of cover...shoot..cover....shoot...cover and so on.

Xun

A question for the PC players, what controller method are you using?

I bought a cheap 360 wireless adapter, but playing with the 360 controller just feels sluggish to me now that I've become accustomed to the mouse + keyboard setup with the game.

Randam

A question for the PC players, what controller method are you using?

I bought a cheap 360 wireless adapter, but playing with the 360 controller just feels sluggish to me now that I've become accustomed to the mouse + keyboard setup with the game.

mouth and keyboard

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah, same here. Probably mostly because we end up infiltrating every outpost several times and soldiers on a chokehold are super eager to point out how there's some blueprints nearby.

Walk in looking for a dude that can translate Russian, walk out with a blueprint for an experimental multi warhead launcher. And they just left the briefcase lying on the table too.

I still need to look for them all. I gave up when I thought one of my blueprints I needed to get was bugged but I ended up getting it later anyway.

Also, started getting a graphical bug along with the heroism thing, where shooting out Direct TV dishes and anti-air radars would just make them disappear instead of play the explosion animation.

i cant beat 29.....

Which one was that. Those all blend together in my memory

is it fighting the skulls?

If so read below

i used shot gun and most damaging rocket launcher i had.

The skulls life bars have 2 layers. First their armour and second their health. Strip the armour then as much health as you can before they recharge the armour.

You can avoid their fire and rock things by just running around creates and there melee by just running amd diving if needed.

Try target one or two at a time. When you run out of rockets, run through a building to lose them, call a supply drop and continue.

Also take quiet with a normal sniper and let her do her thing. Its pain at first but once you get the right load out and a flow for what needs to be done its not very hard

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
23 hours to 4/4 my FOB CP?

original.gif

I equiped myself and quiet with the Brennan sniper rifle.

what do you mean?
if I don't play the game for 24 hours it will be finnished?

because for weapons you have to do missions for the ammount of time.
not even sitting in the acc does work.
Fob expansions work with real time, the rest is in-game time (with real life hours).
So yes, if you don't play for 24 hours, the moment you launch the game the Fob base will be complete.

Top Bottom