• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Lanrutcon

i cant beat 29.....

Someone should sticky this tactic:

1. Research the 3 gatling gun upgrades for your D Walker
2. Outfit your D Walker with a gatling gun and whatever other bits you have
3. Start of the mission, dodge the zombie, get in your D Walker
4. Fuck shit up. You have 1,500 reasons why the parasite soldiers ain't shit.

Hypron

I equiped myself and quiet with the Brennan sniper rifle.

what do you mean?
if I don't play the game for 24 hours it will be finnished?

because for weapons you have to do missions for the ammount of time.
not even sitting in the acc does work.

All the online stuff is in real (IRL) time. Come back tomorrow and it'll be done.

JackelZXA

Well i dont care because I want
the good ending

there's no variant endings. There are 3 sequential endings. Anyways, just play side ops and listen to all your yellow marked tapes (i think?) and ocelot should call you about huey eventually. Make sure you do yellow marked side ops, too. It just sort of happened to me eventually after doing like 8 of them.

Beat the game... afraid to even think about going for 100% :p

70 feels OK to me for now

Ending spoilers:
When I saw the flipside of the tape, oh man I was so sad they didn't say the opening lines for MG1 :(

this is the advice you should all take.

JackelZXA

Beat the game... afraid to even think about going for 100% :p

70 feels OK to me for now

Ending spoilers:
When I saw the flipside of the tape, oh man I was so sad they didn't say the opening lines for MG1 :(

If whatever remains of KP after kojima leaves continues making metal gear games after this,
maybe we'll get the 1994 game (every BB game is 10 years apart, and 1994 is one year before outer heaven. that'd be the final slot for a game)
hopefully those claims that konami ISNT getting out of AAA dev for at least mgs (and pes but i dont care about that game) are true.

thanks for the tip, this made it insanely simple! I was using rocket and grenade launchers before but it was taking to long and my dodging counter spree wasn't being flawless enough.

Blader

Did mission 41 last night. Total bullshit but somehow I scored an A.

Now I've done all the yellow-marked missions and side ops, listened to all the yellow tapes (and most of the white ones), but
hasn't unlocked yet. Do I just need to do a couple regular, non-story side ops then to make it appear? Or are there certain staff/MB requirements to meet too (I've read in places that you need to upgrade certain platforms, or get staff up to certain levels, to unlock more story missions but that sounds like bullshit to me)?

Haunted

I stopped playing after doing many of the side ops and not being anywhere near where I want my developments to be.

The timer and platform resources grind are horrible late game, not even great core gameplay can save that structural clusterfuck. A disappointing end to a good time.

BadWolf

Did mission 41 last night. Total bullshit but somehow I scored an A.

Now I've done all the yellow-marked missions and side ops, listened to all the yellow tapes (and most of the white ones), but
hasn't unlocked yet. Do I just need to do a couple regular, non-story side ops then to make it appear? Or are there certain staff/MB requirements to meet too (I've read in places that you need to upgrade certain platforms, or get staff up to certain levels, to unlock more story missions but that sounds like bullshit to me)?

Yeah just do some side ops.

muteki

Does anyone know what causes the
"Wandering MB Soldier"
side ops to unlock?

I believe I have 2-3 left to go and I'm at the point where, I really don't feel like spending the time doing the repetitive grindy side ops, with the exception of this set where I would like to see the end of that plot line. If completing standard missions/important side ops is good enough, I'll just stick to that.

Haunted

"Wandering MB Soldier"
side ops to unlock?

I believe I have 2-3 left to go and I'm at the point where, I really don't feel like spending the time doing the repetitive grindy side ops, with the exception of this set where I would like to see the end of that plot line. If completing standard missions/important side ops is good enough, I'll just stick to that.
No two side ops can exist in the same location, so you'll have to check online which location the desired side ops will be in and clear out your current side ops in those locations.

BadWolf

"Wandering MB Soldier"
side ops to unlock?

Iirc they unlock as you do story missions and other side ops.

Enjoy the main story first.

I'm personally going to skip doing most of the non-story side ops and just enjoy replaying the story missions moving forward, like I would in previous MGS games.

Wesker28

A7AEE28604628806193430E73DD9D6A935FFD1CB
I got 100% a couple of days ago, and I'm just waiting for my nuke to be finished .
Is there any way to make the nukes faster? 24 hours is just too much

muteki

No two side ops can exist in the same location, so you'll have to check online which location the desired side ops will be in and clear out your current side ops in those locations.

I had not considered this, thanks.

I'll just stick to story and if I don't get a new one in a couple missions I'll come back and do more side ops.

I stopped playing after doing many of the side ops and not being anywhere near where I want my developments to be.

The timer and platform resources grind are horrible late game, not even great core gameplay can save that structural clusterfuck. A disappointing end to a good time.

I've just finished mission 31. Is there some gameplay reason why you need platform upgrades later in the game?

Z3M0G

So the game throws prompts at you for new missions, new ops, new tapes, and new upgrades... but doesnt remind you when you have new platform upgrades available??

My friend was able to fulton large items by mission 14... and told me about upgrading his platforms... all of mine were still level 1, and combat platform 0...

Would have been nice to have a reminder about those... it got lost in the flood of other prompts for other stuff...

Haunted

I've just finished mission 31. Is there some gameplay reason why you need platform upgrades later in the game?
Higher platform upgrades are necessary to get more personnel into your units which raises the unit's overall level which unlocks better weapons and equipment upgrades (late game weapons/items regularly require unit lvl 60+).

edit: without spoiling what kind of equipment this is, the latest upgrade I wanted to try out in the field required 1.8M GMP, R&D unit level 62, Minor Metal x3600 and over two hours of development time.

Glad you're enjoying it, it really is an amazing game.

Just to expand and level up (since you can have more soldiers of a given type the more you expand their area).

Don't need them for story or anything.

Higher platform upgrades are necessary to get more personnel into your units which raises the unit's overall level which unlocks better weapons and equipment upgrades (late game weapons/items regularly require unit lvl 60+).

edit: without spoiling what kind of equipment this is, the latest upgrade I wanted to try out in the field required 1.8M GMP, R&D unit level 62, Minor Metal x3600 and over two hours of development time.

I get that, but are these the sort of things that stop you enjoying the game if you don't have them because it's so difficult?

Gurish

As you develop more weapons, their unique muzzles, stocks, barrels etc get added to the weapon customization menu.

OK so I should buy weapons just for parts even if I'm not interested in using them?
Any specific weapon I should buy to get a cool part for my weapons's customization?

backlot

OK so I should buy weapons just for parts even if I'm not interested in using them?
Any specific weapon I should buy to get a cool part for my weapons's customization?

Fakel grenade launchers can be attached to most rifles. You can eventually get smoke, stun and sleep versions of it too. Also look for upgraded suppressors. Scopes and laser sights are nice too.

Timeaisis

Oh man leveling up any staff group after 40 takes so long. Do you guys have any special strategy? I'm extracting everyone I can find with A+ - S+ ranks and it still seems to be taking forever. No, I don't have a full 4/4 base yet (3/4 on main, plus FOB with like 2/4 each) but I'm working on it.

Roni

Gold Member
Tell me if I'm alone in this: I feel like the most rewarding, intense and interesting gameplay situations happen when I choose to deliberately deploy with a limited loadout. That is to say, instead of just going with the latest version of every single piece of equipment available to me, I'll limit the number of items I'll bring along, the GMP cost of that loadout or the types of weapons I'll use.

That will usually put me in tough situations that force me to get creative or to be extra careful and that does wonders for my immersion. Pitch Black, the first mission in the second map is one of the most memorable game missions I have ever had. If you look at the mission, it's nothing special. But the situations I found myself in during that mission, the solutions I thought of, the state of mind I was at made it incredibly exciting and rewarding.

In the end, I feel like I enjoy games the most when I don't approach them with an "Impress me..." attitude and actually work with the game collaboratively in order to have fun. To me, for MGSV, that means artificially capping my loadout options and other things.

Haunted

I remember that the first better supressor I had was attached to one of the early Assault Rifles. That was definitely one of the most useful upgrades for my playstyle.

The grenade launcher barrels are fun to play around with as well.

I get that, but are these the sort of things that stop you enjoying the game if you don't have them because it's so difficult?
The core gameplay is great, but since the missions and bases are always the same, having fun in the late game (for me) means trying out new weapons and new approaches.

If it boils down to "well, you don't HAVE to use them", I guess I agree. And I won't now that I've stopped playing. But it's also kind of sad that I can't without grinding or ungodly amounts of waiting to access late game content.

I've done 156 of 157 side ops and kept up constantly with my developments and upgrades, yet I still have my simultaneous developments maxed out - that's a dozen weapons I will never see or use and that's just flat out bad economy balancing.

As others have said before, it's economy balancing reminiscent of the revenue-based F2P model of design, based on gating and trying to manipulate the player into action - without implementing the real money shortcuts.

CBTech

Are there any other aspects of Subsistence missions that you can't replicate by turning off Reflex and going into a mission with no equipment? I see a lot of people wanting more of them (I do too), but it seems pretty easy to replicate.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Are there any other aspects of Subsistence missions that you can't replicate by turning off Reflex and going into a mission with no equipment? I see a lot of people wanting more of them (I do too), but it seems pretty easy to replicate.

You can't go into missions with no equipment. You still need a primary and secondary pistol. The only way to remove those is with a mod that makes the game a "Subsistence"-like mode.

Top Bottom