• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AGGGGGGH

Someone please tell me how to get past

Mission number:

The Metal Gear fight. I can get all the way to the end easily, then the scripted Quick Time Event where Sehelanthropus jumps right in front of you and charges up his blue laser and just zaps my face every time. What am I supposed to do at that part? Tried shooting him and weirdo Psycho Mantis kinda looking guy/girl with rockets but I just keep dying.

Wow, I didn't even get to that point...

I just jumped in the
armored vehicles that are on the side of the road and blew Sehelanthropus to hell and back
. The mission was over super quickly and I got an easy S rank.

Question regarding butterfly emblem
I just did 3 missions straight, got codename butterfly in all of them, but I didn't get an emblem. I'm up to mission 40.

Is it just too late?

Are you letting Quiet kill more people than you in said missions? That's how it unlocked for me.

rtcn63

Are you letting Quiet kill more people than you in said missions? That's how it unlocked for me.

Yes. I've been doing Mission 3. I'd have her snipe at least two soldiers with the tranq, then I run up to the commander and throw a hand grenade into his room, dash out. Got codename: butterfly each time.

Got to listen to the famous Hamburger tapes and I must say they're awesome lol.

Yes. I've been doing Mission 3. I'd have her snipe at least two soldiers with the tranq, then I run up to the commander and throw a hand grenade into his room, dash out. Got codename: butterfly each time.

You need to let her kill and not tranq I think.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Got to listen to the famous Hamburger tapes and I must say they're awesome lol.

I love how expensive the R&D for them seem to be according to Miller. "Of course they know that I'm not doing this, but don't tell Snake" Lmao.

And that plot twist with Code Talker: The secret for the best ingredient is... Chemical processing. Amazing. But it makes sense, it makes it tastier, and takes care of whatever bug is in the meat. I hope there are more than 3, I've really loved those.

RedSwirl

Wow. I'm surprised you have to get all the way to episode 22 to unlock FOBs.

Still probably won't do them.

Edit: Wait, is going offline the only way to avoid the FOB system?

I love how expensive the R&D for them seem to be according to Miller. "Of course they know that I'm not doing this, but don't tell Snake" Lmao.

And that plot twist with Code Talker: The secret for the best ingredient is... Chemical processing. Amazing. But it makes sense, it makes it tastier, and takes care of whatever bug is in the meat. I hope there are more than 3, I've really loved those.

It feels like a pro-GMO rant.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It feels like a pro-GMO rant.

It probably was. Kojima uses characters to put out his memes out there.

I suppose he was frustrated with the anti-GMO push that goes against scientific evidence and advantages that has been happening.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely.

Ground Zeroes had normal and hard mode for every mission.

I don't see why they couldn't add Subsistence/Total Stealth/Extreme options for every mission.

I don't even think it would've been that hard to do and would have eliminated the complains and confusions of those extra missions. (not mention not having to complete the tasks again for those missions)

Found a big indoor agriculture area on Motherbase, are there more of such areas (besides Huey and
Paz
)? I still hope to find a garage with all my extracted vehicles on display ^^
every platform has a sort of unique area, like that basement greenhouse or the radar tower... your Mother Base can become pretty full of vehicles and gun placements.... you do get some sort of display areas later, too (similar to the animal conservation or the idea of a car garage).

Do the later dispatch missions lead to anything story related? They're marked with yellow dots, and yellow usually means story progression, but I'd like to know. They require serious grinding to have a good chance of success, if they kept story content behind them...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That makes me scared. I have all but 1 blueprint. Not sure what it is and I remember dying after picking up a blueprint at some point.

If it's the Bullhorn, that's a combat deployment.

Do the later dispatch missions lead to anything story related? They're marked with yellow dots, and yellow usually means story progression, but I'd like to know. They require serious grinding to have a good chance of success, if they kept story content behind them...

Just an achievement and 100% completion. Otherwise, no.

I don't think so but
If you complete them all, you're pretty much set on GMP for life. I just risked the 50% chances and it paid off. Their main purposes are emblems and blueprints IIRC

D-Walker with Interceptor Mode upgrade is such a surgeon with his pistols lol

air drop it into a guardpost and it takes out like 5-10 guards in 10-20 second

D-Walker with Interceptor Mode upgrade is such a surgeon with his pistols lol

air drop it into a guardpost and it takes out like 5-10 guards in 10-20 second

man, the buddy system had so much potential, imagine having someone like Gray Fox, who i think is Null at the time of The Phantom Pain, be like a bodyguard who can block bullets with his sword.

or someone like Vamp who can act as a distraction and dodge bullets while you take the enemy out from behind.

Blader

Questions about unlocking late game missions:

So I finished mission 41, had done all the yellow side ops, listened to all the yellow tapes. Nothing popped up. I did three regular/white side ops, Miller prompts me back to MB, triggering mission 43. I clear that, nothing next. I do three more white side ops, I get the tape with Miller and Ocelot interrogating Huey and telling the men there will be a trial. Do I really have to do another three normal side ops to unlock the next part of this thing?

This is getting kind of ridiculous, and is making these optional side ops increasingly less optional...

Kuro

How tall is Big Boss? The wiki has 2 different heights for him and I'm more inclined to believe the 5' 11" figure than the 6' 3" one considering how he compares to other characters in MGS3 and MGSV

If it's the Bullhorn, that's a combat deployment.

Just an achievement and 100% completion. Otherwise, no.

I don't think so but
If you complete them all, you're pretty much set on GMP for life. I just risked the 50% chances and it paid off. Their main purposes are emblems and blueprints IIRC

Thanks. Seems I already have all the blueprints that are gotten through them, and GMP and resources are no issue, so there's no point in risking them. The difficulty bump is just dumb.

Gah. I got done with Chapter 1 and decided to go back and S-rank all the missions and do all the side objectives. I've got ONE left, fucking Lingua Franca. Shit is so bugged. Can't get the "extract containers" one and I can't seem to get the "listen to all interrogations" one. They just don't trigger.
The containers one is bugged for me too. I've extracted them all 3 times now, to no avail.

The interrogations one I did get though, after much trial and error:
At the foot of the guard tower where the interpreter first appears, one prisoner will be interrogated straight away. You pretty much have to ride D-Horse there at full tilt to catch it in time. That prisoner then gets transferred to the cage area where the chick is, and they both get interrogated together. That interrogation at the cages only counts for the chick though.

So, once you get off the chopper: bust your arse to the guard tower to catch the first interrogation. Always make sure the subtitles are on your screen, otherwise you're not close enough. Then go to the dude who's held under the awning just down from the guard tower. After his interrogation he'll be the first to get whacked. Then bust your arse over to the cages to hear the guy and girl get interrogated together. Then they'll both get whacked. Finally you'll need to eavesdrop on the final interrogation of the viscount, which happens in a tiny house after dusk. The objective complete thing should pop up, then you can bust in there and save him, extract him, and you're done.

For me it was that first one that I kept missing (unknowingly).

Lol yeah Code Talker talking about additives and Miller's epiphanic moment was the best part, kind of gives you an insight about the characters outside their war-filled life. I wish we could see more of it for other characters too. I really loved PW's tapes for that reason.

Absolutely.

Ground Zeroes had normal and hard mode for every mission.

I don't see why they couldn't add Subsistence/Total Stealth/Extreme options for every mission.

Balancing issues I guess. I can't even say that they might add it in the future because of the uncertainty between KojiPro and Konami right now.

Xiraiya

Gah. I got done with Chapter 1 and decided to go back and S-rank all the missions and do all the side objectives. I've got ONE left, fucking Lingua Franca. Shit is so bugged. Can't get the "extract containers" one and I can't seem to get the "listen to all interrogations" one. They just don't trigger.
It's not bugged, it's just not as clear as it should be, there are 4 containers in Lingua Franca and the way to ensure you complete the objective is to grab all 4 in one go, I had the same problem until I waited for all 4 to re-appear and then triggered it.

As for listening to all Interrogations objectives, when the mission starts, a prisoner is immediately driven up to where the translator starts out and they talk to him briefly, you have to leave them be and let them walk that prisoner to the woman in Kiziba Camp or whatever, they'll interrogate them together before they finally go back for the viscount. The interrogations one took a couple of attempts because I would always wait for the translator to wander off to interrogate the first guy and then I would snag that prisoner walking away with a guard, so eventually I found out I was stupid and should have been paying attention, I would have learned sooner that they were taking that guy over to the female for a double interrogation later in the mission, which is what you need to listen to.

It's easy to forget about, but listening to and watching/following guards in and out of missions gives you a pretty significant amount of context for whatever is happening, some free roam scenes with guards talking have been really good throughout my game.

Haunted

Questions about unlocking late game missions:

So I finished mission 41, had done all the yellow side ops, listened to all the yellow tapes. Nothing popped up. I did three regular/white side ops, Miller prompts me back to MB, triggering mission 43. I clear that, nothing next. I do three more white side ops, I get the tape with Miller and Ocelot interrogating Huey and telling the men there will be a trial. Do I really have to do another three normal side ops to unlock the next part of this thing?

This is getting kind of ridiculous, and is making these optional side ops increasingly less optional...
Yes, it'll continue like this until the end.

There's a reason everyone's complaining about the fucked up pacing in chapter 2, you know. :p People aren't just conjuring this criticism out of thin air.

Yes, it'll continue like this until the end.

There's a reason everyone's complaining about the fucked up pacing in chapter 2, you know. :p People aren't just conjuring this criticism out of thin air.

Eh, the story progression was actually faster in Chapter 2, I found. Usually when you did get a cutscene it was something important, rather than
"maybe this isolated incident involving supplies will lead us to Cipher" that you'd get from a main mission in Chapter 1.

Lynx_7

I left mission
as my last story-mission since I figured it'd leave a bigger emotional impact than
, and oh it did alright.

Fuck this mission. Fuck it and fuck everything it stands for. Fuck everything it stands against. Fuck everything it is impartial to. Just fuck all of it. Fuck my PS4, fuck Kojima Productions, fuck Konami, fuck the videogame industry for allowing shit like this to see the light of day.
4 hours stuck in this shit. 4 godforsaken hours of tanks oneshotting my venomous ass. I don't even know how I did it, I just kinda did. It happened and I couldn't believe it. What the hell, KojiPro. Why did you think this was well designed? Who playtested this and went "looks perfectly fine to me", Miyazaki?! At least space you checkpoints better, because it REALLY needed one after you took down the enemy helicopter. If you're gonna lock all progress behind the completion of this mission then at least don't make it as fucking unfair as it is.

10/10 would S rank again.

But seriously, this could've been one of the better missions had it not been so unbalanced. I actually really liked the way it ended, but getting there was just... Word I've already repeated way too many times in this post.

I'm ok now.

It's not bugged, it's just not as clear as it should be, there are 4 containers in Lingua Franca and the way to ensure you complete the objective is to grab all 4 in one go, I had the same problem until I waited for all 4 to re-appear and then triggered it.
It's bugged. I've extracted all containers three times now and it still hasn't registered.

Markoman

130 hours playtime and I just recently found out that I can put the posters on the card-boxes. I have seen it in the demos and waited for this upgrade to unlock, but....never mind, I'm getting old.

All in the same run?
Yep. I've tried doing them prior to extracting the viscount, post-extracting the viscount (but before leaving the mission area obviously), even extracting myself on top of the final container to try and get it to register. Nothing.

If there's anything else I should try I'm all ears.

Xiraiya

Yep. I've tried doing them prior to extracting the viscount, post-extracting the viscount (but before leaving the mission area obviously), even extracting myself on top of the final container to try and get it to register. Nothing.

If there's anything else I should try I'm all ears.
That's strange, I know I've had moments of thinking it should have triggered but then realizing I didn't grab the right one or all the containers or whatever, but generally grabbing them all and finishing the mission triggers it every time.

Xiraiya

Yep, without seeing some of the gameplay footage beforehand, there's no chance that I would have known how to do utilize certain features (horse shit-Jeeps).

The box one is obscure, but the horse manure is definitely a "I wonder..." thing that you'd have to figure out eventually, even by accident.

Stuff like that is great though.

Markoman

The box one is obscure, but the horse manure is definitely a "I wonder..." thing that you'd have to figure out eventually, even by accident.

Stuff like that is great though.

Yeah, I love it, too.

But there are issues with the overall design especially for the casual players.
Miller tells you two times "this is not the legendary gunsmith" and when you
finally get him there is no special (cutscene, dialogue) notification/tutorial concerning the weapon customization, so many players will miss the cross-development feature ( for example: putting silencers from weapons you have already developed on other weapons)

TitusTroy

what happens if I uploaded my Ground Zeroes save file, played Phantom Pain for awhile and then went back and decided to start a new Ground Zeroes game?...will the old save still be a part of Phantom Pain?

Xiraiya

what happens if I uploaded my Ground Zeroes save file, played Phantom Pain for awhile and then went back and decided to start a new Ground Zeroes game?...will the old save still be a part of Phantom Pain?
It's only connected to TPP while you do the upload, once you've uploaded it, TPP doesn't need the GZ save anymore, and then you can even re-upload your new save later if you unlock more stuff for TPP than you did previously.

Top Bottom