• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Miller tells you two times "this is not the legendary gunsmith" and when you
finally get him there is no special (cutscene, dialogue) notification/tutorial concerning the weapon customization, so many players will miss the cross-development feature ( for example: putting silencers from weapons you have already developed on other weapons)
I was pretty sure there was a moment of Ocelot letting you know the customization option was available. It's things like
how to customize D-Walker's loadouts
that's obscure and put into the wrong menu.

Lettuce

For the love of fuck this game is shifty at explaining stuff sometimes, 60 hrs in and only just come to my attention that you can add parts to you weapons via the customisation menu.....arrrgh!!!

With that in mind I now need cash fast!, I have approx 60 mortar guns and around 50 gun implacements , how many does motherbase actually require and do they add to your FOB aswell or us that separate?....wondering how many I can sell to make a quick buck??

bobawesome

I loved 99% of the game but wow...
that was the worst "twist" ever and its reveal was laughably bad. Oh, wow, there was ANOTHER person in the photo this entire time! OOOoOOOooOOoh.

Greddleok

For the love of fuck this game is shifty at explaining stuff sometimes, 60 hrs in and only just come to my attention that you can add parts to you weapons via the customisation menu.....arrrgh!!!

With that in mind I now need cash fast!, I have approx 60 mortar guns and around 50 gun implacements , how many does motherbase actually require and do they add to your FOB aswell or us that separate?....wondering how many I can sell to make a quick buck??

Man I just sell all that shit.
Then never, ever connect online, because the FOB stuff is lame anyway.

Kimppis

Miller tells you two times "this is not the legendary gunsmith" and when you
finally get him there is no special (cutscene, dialogue) notification/tutorial concerning the weapon customization, so many players will miss the cross-development feature ( for example: putting silencers from weapons you have already developed on other weapons)

Wait... What is that? :p I'm 53 hours in.

Golnei

How tall is Big Boss? The wiki has 2 different heights for him and I'm more inclined to believe the 5' 11" figure than the 6' 3" one considering how he compares to other characters in MGS3 and MGSV

The ripped textures for the photos with him and Miller would support the shorter height as well. Tiny Boss is too adorable to not be canon.

tumblr_nvgdlhqsRX1rvdeiqo2_1280.png

Markoman

Wait... What is that? :p I'm 53 hours in.

In case you are not joking...don't worry you can't miss the side-ops.
But keep in mind, weapon-customization is not a purely cosmetic thing.
For example:
Develop a lethal sniper rifle with silencer
Develop a non-lethal sniper rifle without silencer

Go to customization and build a non-lethal sniper rifle with silencer without having to grind
for the according level in the dev-tree.

Ludens

Banned
I think I hit a bug on Mission 33. I can't find the materials to extract needed for the optional task.
In the normal mission the container is exactly in the middle of the Eastern Outpost, but there's nothing in the Subsistance version. I also looked around but there is nothing at all.

Kimppis

In case you are not joking...don't worry you can't miss the side-ops.
But keep in mind, weapon-customization is not a purely cosmetic thing.
For example:
Develop a lethal sniper rifle with silencer
Develop a non-lethal sniper rifle without silencer

Go to customization and build a non-lethal sniper rifle with silencer without having to grind
for the according level in the dev-tree.

Wow... I somehow missed that, no kidding. :D Thanks for the info.

Markoman

The customization gets you a silenced sleeping dart sniper rifle way before you would develop it.

I know, this was just an example...ok, let me fix it. Later on you can develop silencers with increased durability. Develop a sniper rifle with this type of silencer and put it on your assault rifle.

Edit: Totally misread your post :D

myco666

I still haven't really messed around with the gun customization and I am probably 100hours in already. Really need to try it so that I can get some variations in my loadouts.

Vek

With the right barrel you could also mount a grenade launcher or shotgun to your sniper rifle... For reasons.

I fortunately afaik rocket launchers only get colour and laser customisation. I want my silenced launcher :(

Markoman

I still haven't really messed around with the gun customization and I am probably 100hours in already. Really need to try it so that I can get some variations in my loadouts.

...and your gameplay. How about trying a non-lethal shotgun with silencer? :D
Like I said before 130h in and I haven't even fired one round with a machine-gun or grenade-launcher.

Once I have maxed out MB the real fun beginns and lifes won't be spared any more.
I will ditch the tranq-pistol, use the smoke-grenade-launcher in combination with some dual-barrel-shottie :D

Lanrutcon

With the right barrel you could also mount a grenade launcher or shotgun to your sniper rifle... For reasons.

I fortunately afaik rocket launchers only get colour and laser customisation. I want my silenced launcher :(

I mount a smoke grenade launcher on my Sniper RIfle. Very handy. If I could mount a sleep grenade launcher I'd be scary as fuck.

danowat

Banned
How are people mixing things up?, I just find I seem to attempt each infiltration the same way, scope out enemies, sneak in, tranq or subdue, done, and I'll be honest, it's getting a bit samey, and as I tend to use the same couple of weapons I feel that I am missing out on a huge swathe of the armory.

How do people mix up their approaches?, or are you just happy to do the same thing each time?.

Varth

OK, I realized only now that you can mod guns. I thought the legendary gunsmith only unlocked stuff in the development tree. Why in hell is the option not available neither in the dev tree nor in the equip screen?

myco666

How are people mixing things up?, I just find I seem to attempt each infiltration the same way, scope out enemies, sneak in, tranq or subdue, done, and I'll be honest, it's getting a bit samey, and as I tend to use the same couple of weapons I feel that I am missing out on a huge swathe of the armory.

How do people mix up their approaches?, or are you just happy to do the same thing each time?.

I have this problem as well and found out that the best way to change it up is just to force you pick other weapons and buddies with you. Grenade Launcher and Quiet with lethal sniper is really good way to infiltrate outposts. Used same tactics as you first but now I mostly just try to go in fast and kill everyone unless they have good stats. Really depends on if I want to go all out or not. But yeah just try to force yourself to try different stuff.

...and your gameplay. How about trying a non-lethal shotgun with silencer? :D
Like I said before 130h in and I haven't even fired one round with a machine-gun or grenade-launcher.

Once I have maxed out MB the real fun beginns and lifes won't be spared any more.
I will ditch the tranq-pistol, use the smoke-grenade-launcher in combination with some dual-barrel-shottie :D

Yeah I definetily need to get some dumb weapons and test what kind of situations they work.

Just hit chapter 2, should I be doing anything different now when I visit Mother Base?

I basically just swing by
Quiet, Paz, and Huey's locations
to see if any cutscenes trigger here and there and thats bout it.

AniHawk

there's something really special about being able to listen to 'take on me' in-game while i whittle numbers away one by one.

it's definitely a weird sort of thing, like kojima really just wanted to make an open-world game but konami had him do another metal gear and this was the compromise.

WITHE1982

Finally after 106 hours I've unlocked the
XOF suit for Quiet.
I can finally start taking her seriously.

Also hearing (late game cut scene)
her speak Navajo to code talker during the torture scene
was fantastic. Such a good character pretty much ruined by Kojima's bullshit.

130 hours playtime and I just recently found out that I can put the posters on the card-boxes. I have seen it in the demos and waited for this upgrade to unlock, but....never mind, I'm getting old.

i didn't know about this ;D but i rarely used boxes anyway. maybe next playthrough.

omonimo

Banned
Ok still I don't get the chapter 2 bullshit. Kojima (or someone else) said MGS V was practical completed in June but Konami delayed it to September for business reason, I remember this thing. So the fuck? If the game was completed how can be so rushed after the chapter 1? I don't know the hell it's happened here. Chapter 2 missions are horrible and ruined everything of good in this game. I can't believe they put this shit to fill this game. I can stand even to repeat the same missions at hardest difficult but why the debriefing and the cut scenes are repeated too?

Roni

Gold Member
Ok still I don't get the chapter 2 bullshit. Kojima (or someone else) said MGS V was practical completed in June but Konami delayed it to September for business reason, I remember this thing. So the fuck? If the game was completed how can be so rushed after the chapter 1? I don't know the hell it's happened here. Chapter 2 missions are horrible and ruined everything of good in this game. I can't believe they put this shit to fill this game. I can stand even to repeat the same missions at hardest difficult but why the debriefing and the cut scenes are repeated too?

You really believe he'd throw a temper tantrum publicly about how Konami was screwing with his creation? He's Japanese, dude.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's not bugged, it's just not as clear as it should be, there are 4 containers in Lingua Franca and the way to ensure you complete the objective is to grab all 4 in one go, I had the same problem until I waited for all 4 to re-appear and then triggered it.

As for listening to all Interrogations objectives, when the mission starts, a prisoner is immediately driven up to where the translator starts out and they talk to him briefly, you have to leave them be and let them walk that prisoner to the woman in Kiziba Camp or whatever, they'll interrogate them together before they finally go back for the viscount. The interrogations one took a couple of attempts because I would always wait for the translator to wander off to interrogate the first guy and then I would snag that prisoner walking away with a guard, so eventually I found out I was stupid and should have been paying attention, I would have learned sooner that they were taking that guy over to the female for a double interrogation later in the mission, which is what you need to listen to.

It's easy to forget about, but listening to and watching/following guards in and out of missions gives you a pretty significant amount of context for whatever is happening, some free roam scenes with guards talking have been really good throughout my game.

Yeah, I've done both of these things and it still won't trigger. Sigh...I'll keep trying til it sticks, I guess.

BadWolf

Those repeat missions are just that, the same missions but with a higher difficulty or modifier. It's basically the hard versions of them.

And you don't have to do any of them to progress the story. Just listen to yellow tapes and do some side ops for new story missions to pop up.

And the debriefing? Are you referring to episode 46? Finish it first before saying anything.

Artex

Banned
Those repeat missions are just that, the same missions but with a higher difficulty or modifier. It's basically the hard versions of them.

And you don't have to do any of them to progress the story. Just listen to yellow tapes and do some side ops for new story missions to pop up.
After all the bitching I heard about these missions, I'm now personally on them and I'm having so much fun with them. Had a blast extracting everyone on the total stealth D-day Walker extraction mission. On one occasion the last guy spotted me 😁

After all the bitching I heard about these missions, I'm now personally on them and I'm having so much fun with them. Had a blast extracting everyone on the total stealth D-day Walker extraction mission. On one occasion the last guy spotted me 😁

they're the best. seems like some people where offended by their presence. gotta hide everything that's mildly challenging or the vocal internet will get upset ;)

Lanrutcon

After all the bitching I heard about these missions, I'm now personally on them and I'm having so much fun with them. Had a blast extracting everyone on the total stealth D-day Walker extraction mission. On one occasion the last guy spotted me ��

Little hint: extract some dudes, then run away from the site to force a save, then go back and continue. This way you don't have to restart everything if you get spotted.

Properly clearing out repeat mission
1v1 was awesome
after cheesing it in the original one. The OHKO made it a lot more challenging. I could've used the Battle Suit but that's for wusses. :p
So far I totally dig the repeat missions.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Since PS4 Firmware 3.0 came out with the YouTube streaming, question:

Anyone know if the Content ID kicks in if you play any of the licensed music in MGSV?

Top Bottom