• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

BadWolf

Can you blame Miller?
He also was right about Quiet being the enemy even though she fell in love with Venom

Not at all, his rage is very much justified. Just a little unusual for an MGS character to be that direct.

but it is just so over the top unrealistic.

Welcome to MGS :p

Sooooo.... What are they? Is it an invisible point tally?
does it make your horn grow?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718564-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/72466130

I did mission 32, watched a bunch of cutscenes and now the story won't go forward anymore. Any tips?

Listen to yellow tapes, do some side ops. Do yellow missions and side ops when they pop up.

Dude, it's not supposed to be a secret. It's revealed during the prologue unless you're just not paying attention to what's being said.
Yes, by one tiny piece of dialogue that could easily be missed by what's going on during it. I was already expecting that twist, but it was only hinting at it. Doesn't mean I can't feel disappointed.

I'm having trouble on Mission 14 - Lingua Franca.

I can't complete the optional task of extracting a material container. I interrogate everyone and check the exact place but the containers aren't there.

Do I need to do something to make them appear? I'm confused because the containers were there during my first playthrough.

J.EM1

I can't complete the optional task of extracting a material container. I interrogate everyone and check the exact place but the containers aren't there.

Do I need to do something to make them appear? I'm confused because the containers were there during my first playthrough.
There are 4 containers that you must extract. 2 in the camp itself and 2 in the outpost directly next to the camp.

Ourobolus

Banned
Holy shit Mission 49 is hard. I get the feeling the best thing to do is to get the armored anti-air truck and block the road, but jesus...the first part was difficult enough. The last part is nuts.

If you already extracted the containers before, it'll take a bit for them to come back. Go do some missions.

BadWolf

Holy shit Mission 49 is hard. I get the feeling the best thing to do is to get the armored anti-air truck and block the road, but jesus...the first part was difficult enough. The last part is nuts.

You can also stop the vehicles by putting a guard to sleep and then laying him in the middle of the road. When they stop to investigate just come in from the back and fulton all three vehicles.

Ourobolus

Banned
You can also stop the vehicles by putting a guard to sleep and then laying him in the middle of the road. When they stop to investigate just come in from the back and fulton all three vehicles.

I tried that with a
dead guard, but that didn't last long enough I suppose. Then it checkpointed and the body disappeared, and I didn't have enough time to get a new one.

I tried that with a
dead guard, but that didn't last long enough I suppose. Then it checkpointed and the body disappeared, and I didn't have enough time to get a new one.

I've seen a speedrun use an unconscious body that wasn't dead and it worked fine. The game probably looked at the dead body and thought it was time to despawn it from memory.

DeaviL

Banned
Is walking slowly while standing also silent, or do i have to be crouched for them to not hear me when i'm trying to grab them?

BadWolf

My problem is that going slowly crouched is very slow when using a keyboard.

Use the sneaking suit, it eliminates a lot of the foot noise.

You can basically crouch walk full speed and they won't hear it, makes CQC much quicker to initiate.

I dunno dudes. It doesnt feel like the truck is any faster than just randomly wandering around.

For traversal a jeep is better, if speed is what you want.

Can he develop indestructable silencers for other weapons, or is it just the WU? Having to call in a suppressor supply drop every few minutes gets pretty tiresome.
sort of... but it's just another handgun, the Barkov Russian handgun. it gets a cool light wood grip though for that final upgrade but it's not the SMG or AR (or even an automatic handgun) you prob were hoping for (as I was).

Are there any assault rifles with a non-lethal variant other than the UNARC - NL?

I've upgraded it to be able to add a suppressor but it's durability is gone after about 20 rounds.

I can't seem to mod it with other suppressors either as the option is locked out.
nah but you could mod the AM semi-auto NL sniper rifle with an ultra short barrel and reflex sight to improve its sort of assault capabilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuNE6-bCByA

i've been experimenting a lot with converting assault rifles to sniper rifles and vice versa, and it actually works out pretty well. assault rifles with that last MRS rifle barrel are pretty strong with a scope and pentazym, and it's on a UN it's pretty much the dominant combo (other than maybe an AM with the ultra short AK barrel for firing rate though the UN-MRS barrel probably has highest overall stats). and then the AM (lethal or non-lethal) with either the MRS long barrel or AK ultra short barrel, and then reflex sights make a pretty good assault rifle, too. you can also mod the Maschinka or whatever SMG .. LK to have pretty darn good range, so you can really short of make your SMG your traditional mid-range assault weapon, and that let's you free up experimenting with a sniping [assault] rifle or a short of reflex sight assault [sniper] rifle

which obviously gives you extra freedom with NL since while you cannot put short barrels on the UN NL assault rifle, you can put short barrels on the AM NL sniper rifle

Ourobolus

Banned
Ugggggghhhhhh doing Mission 47
[TOTAL STEALTH] The War Economy and I made it all the way to the last conversation and some fucker comes up the stairs behind me.

So pissed right now.

That's enough MGSV for tonight.

Kvik

I spent the whole weekend just sitting down and listening to the tapes from mission 1-43 since I never even once try to listen to them. Then onto endgame.

Really missed those Codec calls.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Use the sneaking suit, it eliminates a lot of the foot noise.

You can basically crouch walk full speed and they won't hear it, makes CQC much quicker to initiate.

For traversal a jeep is better, if speed is what you want.

Nah I was talking about the materials processing truck thing.

Ame

Ugggggghhhhhh doing Mission 47
[TOTAL STEALTH] The War Economy and I made it all the way to the last conversation and some fucker comes up the stairs behind me.

So pissed right now.

That's enough MGSV for tonight.

Ugh, I hate
mission tasks that involve listening to conversations, especially a string of them. Some of the mission tasks are fun and add some decent replay value, but the convo shit is boring and tedious.

M3z_

Episode 20 Spoilers

Holy crap this worked so well.

This clip is my second time through the mission I was actually able to come up with this technique on the fly when I did the mission the first time. I thought I was so smart I would post it, but sadly it had already been figured out. Who cares though, this worked so well it was some action movie shit.

pupcoffee

Does the game ever use the wilderness for stealth? Still in Afghanistan, and aside from the occasional truck, there's no utilisation of these beautiful huge rocky areas.

I remember the TGS demo having guards in the jungle, at least.

So I just got my Platinum but I'm still at 99%. What besides mission tasks does the game consider part of the percentage? TIA.

Edit: Exited to title menu, came back to 100% :)

Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Spoilers all the way up to mission 30

So, I start the game and I do every side quest, I scout every soldier and extract every single one that improves my staff somehow. I take time to destroy communication equipment in each outpost, I grab all blueprints and material containers I find. I upgrade mother base to have all platforms lvl 3 - 4, and I have FOB with one upgrade to base development platform. I maxed out or almost maxed out my staff on all platforms.

Then comes the parasites. I rush every mission back-to-back as fast as I could until cure is found, but still all my platforms go from ~115 to ~65 - 75 staff. That means 30 - 40% of my total manpower was killed by the parasite and there was not a damn thing I could do? That's at least 200 soldiers dead, but the number may be closer to 300.

I'm very frustrated right now, it feels like the game stolen several hours from me. I guess this means I won't be grinding anything anymore, just doing the main missions + enough side missions to have some money for research.

Servbot24

Banned
Finally cleared every main mission and every yellow Side Op. At 66% for the game in 102 hours. Gonna put this game away for a bit and just do side ops on occassion from now on.

I thought the game was fantastic, but it missed the opportunity to cement itself as a true classic. It was very close too, just needed a few basic tweaks, some extra cutscenes, and some more thoughtful boss battles.

To that last point, I looooove the sniper battles, the chapter 1 final boss was alright, but everything else was not even close to MGS standards.

Whelp, late into my plat trophy cleanup and now I find out I got one of the blueprint glitches.

Time to walk away.....
What is this? If I have it too I probably won't bother.

Haunted

Damnit, damnit, damnit.

So, I start the game and I do every side quest, I scout every soldier and extract every single one that improves my staff somehow. I take time to destroy communication equipment in each outpost, I grab all blueprints and material containers I find. I upgrade mother base to have all platforms lvl 3 - 4, and I have FOB with one upgrade to base development platform. I maxed out or almost maxed out my staff on all platforms.

Then comes the parasites. I rush every mission back-to-back as fast as I could until cure is found, but still all my platforms go from ~115 to ~65 - 75 staff. That means 30 - 40% of my total manpower was killed by the parasite and there was not a damn thing I could do? That's at least 200 soldiers dead, but the number may be closer to 300.

I'm very frustrated right now, it feels like the game stolen several hours from me. I guess this means I won't be grinding anything anymore, just doing the main missions + enough side missions to have some money for research.
... why didn't you take care of your staff and quarantined them properly? They keep giving you hints on what to do but you just ignored that completely? I didn't lose more than 10-15 soldiers total from the 600+ soldiers I had.

Setsuna

Damnit, damnit, damnit.

How did you manage to lose that many people?

I didnt even rush and lost no more than 20 tops

Lanrutcon

Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Replacing staff is brutally easy. FoBs are a giant candyland of A++ to S rank staff. Once I figured that out I stopped giving a shit about recruitment. FoBs are, in general, way too rewarding.

Ourobolus

Banned
Episode 20 Spoilers

This clip is my second time through the mission I was actually able to come up with this technique on the fly when I did the mission the first time. I thought I was so smart I would post it, but sadly it had already been figured out. Who cares though, this worked so well it was some action movie shit.

Lol, I did that my first time, too.

Batzi

Banned
So I thought Quiet's battle was better than The End's. What do you think?

Going from one area to another in 3 was frustrating tbh and controls sucked compared to V which it harder to handle the sniper rifle in that fight.

I really think Quiet's boss battle is the best sniper boss fight I played in any game.

BadWolf

Episode 20 Spoilers

Damn, that's awesome O_O

Going from one area to another in 3 was frustrating tbh and controls sucked compared to V which it harder to handle the sniper rifle in that fight.

I really think Quiet's boss battle is the best sniper boss fight I played in any game.

It's really damn good. The area you fight in is huge (very well designed too) and the number of ways you can approach the fight is pretty ridonculous.

Yeah when I first realized that this was
the boss fight with Quiet
I was like BRUUUUH. It's exactly what I was hoping for from MGSV. Too bad the rest of the fights aren't nearly as good.

... why didn't you take care of your staff and quarantined them properly? They keep giving you hints on what to do but you just ignored that completely? I didn't lose more than 10-15 soldiers total from the 600+ soldiers I had.

I was told to keep eye on staff, but that we'd have no idea how to identify the disease and by the time they would show any signs they would already have to be quarantined. Or in other words, I would have to randomly select people to be quarantined in hopes that I get lucky and guess right. So what am I going to do? Every two minutes check my list of hundreds of staff until situation is solved? Spend time in mother base and randomly walk around in hopes of seeing something? There didn't seem to be any point so I just tried to rush the missions.

I don't know if it was normal, but to give some frame of reference: every "event tick" another 30+ soldiers got sick and were transferred to quarantine (things extracted arriving at mother base for example). It started out with 2 soldiers every "tick", but it escalated fast.

If there was an easy way to identify the sick, I didn't notice it.

BadWolf

I was like BRUUUUH. It's exactly what I was hoping for from MGSV. Too bad the rest of the fights aren't nearly as good.

Really liked how it came out of nowhere too.

Was just galloping along on me horse and then bam, the boss fight just triggers seamlessly.

Batzi

Banned

I saw it coming and I was still amazed by the amount of fun I had with it. Upgrading your rifles later on would make the fight shorter and there are tricks here and there to finish it faster (ex: dropping a supply drop).

As far as the other fights go,
I frickin loved ST-84. MGS4 lacked an authentic MG fight and I thought V's was as good as 1 and better than 2. Plus the damn thing looks BEAUTIFUL! :eek: The skulls were the hardest. I still don't know what to feel about them yet as I am still trying to S rank the extreme fight but it was intense. That's all I can say for now. Man on Fire was a unique one in a sense that it reminded me of the Sorrow fight in a way. Maybe it's the environment or the area prior to that in the cave but man it was great! I thought Mantis was overpowered but I also thought he was fucking awesome! I wish they used Mantis' theme from MGS1 but I loved him regardless. I was hoping for a Skull Face fight but unfortunately that didn't happen. Even though they were rehashes of the original missions but I frickin enjoyed the stealth only ones at the end where if you get detected it's game over. I love the fact you're going in naked, weapons and equipments OSP.

Dammit,

Listened to all cassette tapes
All yellow side ops completed
Up to part where
Eli stole Metal Gear
(mission 41 or 42 I believe)

....and nothing else is popping up :(

Did I miss something?

Also, I REALLY dont like that they
brought back Paz
.... but I guess we'll see how that plays out

BadWolf

Dammit,

Listened to all cassette tapes
All yellow side ops completed
Up to part where
Eli stole Metal Gear
(mission 41 or 42 I believe)

....and nothing else is popping up :(

Did I miss something?

Also, I REALLY dont like that they
brought back Paz
.... but I guess we'll see how that plays out

Do some regular side ops and more story mission should pop up.

As for the last point, keep playing.

I was told to keep eye on staff, but that we'd have no idea how to identify the disease and by the time they would show any signs they would already have to be quarantined. Or in other words, I would have to randomly select people to be quarantined in hopes that I get lucky and guess right. So what am I going to do? Every two minutes check my list of hundreds of staff until situation is solved? Spend time in mother base and randomly walk around in hopes of seeing something? There didn't seem to be any point so I just tried to rush the missions.

I don't know if it was normal, but to give some frame of reference: every "event tick" another 30+ soldiers got sick and were transferred to quarantine (things extracted arriving at mother base for example). It started out with 2 soldiers every "tick", but it escalated fast.

If there was an easy way to identify the sick, I didn't notice it.
(mission 22-29 stuff)
yeah there's a way to solve it... the radio chat and then the tapes give you some hints about what to do.

that said.... it's actually kind of cool that it can end up being so bad.

don't worry about it in terms of 'gameplay' you'll regain soldiers and level up ok later

and it's kind of a cool story actually that the epidemic ended up being pretty crazy for you

myco666

Got my first FOB Invasion and lost 6 staff members. Should I even care? Still haven't upgraded my FOB at all and only go online to get daily rewards since being online slows the iDroid too much.

Top Bottom