• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

So I have just been told that
a sickness is going through mother base

But then he says just do missions and ignore it . Do I have to do anything for this?

I'm totally stuck on how to advance the story.
I haven't done missions 34-37 (which are currently available) and have no intention of doing those repeat missions. However, nothing is coming up that advances the story. There are no yellow side ops either. So I feel kind of stuck. Are there even any original/non-repeat missions remaining? Story progression? I'm considering stopping at this point. Really don't like how this Chapter 2 is designed.

I'm totally stuck on how to advance the story.
I haven't done missions 34-37 (which are currently available) and have no intention of doing those repeat missions. However, nothing is coming up that advances the story. There are no yellow side ops either. So I feel kind of stuck. Are there even any original/non-repeat missions remaining? Story progression? I'm considering stopping at this point. Really don't like how this Chapter 2 is designed.

You can just do a couple of side ops, doesn't matter which one, and that should trigger some Mother Base cutscenes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking hell. Mission 43.

That's a series highlight right there. It's kind of like an inverse of The Sorrow battle in MGS3. It hit me particularly hard because I've spent the game going out of my way to not kill anyone. I think in 90 hours I had only killed 30 people.

smik

Quick question I'm 10% in on phantom pain and having a blast, should I play GZ as I haven't not played it I went on complete blackouts for both of them

Is it important to mgs 5 story?

CpG6xmO.jpg

Yankee Chick, where manly men can strike a pose on a Cadillac, and every night is ladies' night.

Man, how long is this game? 70 hours in, mission 21. Is this game really so long? I mean, I've approached almost all missions non-lethally and attempting no alerts (mostly failed ha!).

Vuze

Finished the medical platform storyline.
So uhm. Did BB just hallucinate the whole Paz thing? PTSD? I checked the room again but it was U/C. Pretty.... weird

BadWolf

That's a series highlight right there. It's kind of like an inverse of The Sorrow battle in MGS3. It hit me particularly hard because I've spent the game going out of my way to not kill anyone. I think in 90 hours I had only killed 30 people.

I was in the exact same boat, barely killed anyone at that point and my first killing spree ended up being against my own men.

When they were afraid in that room and said "let the Boss decided" while saluting and humming the theme, oh man....

BadWolf

Is there a point to fultoning mortarts and such? I see the point of people but can't figure out why the guns kr vehicles.

The mortars get placed on motherbase.

The vehicles can be deployed during your own missions, so when you start a mission you can have a jeep, truck or tank waiting for you. They are also used when your men go on combat ops.

So I have just been told that
a sickness is going through mother base

But then he says just do missions and ignore it . Do I have to do anything for this?

Spoilers obviously if you're at mission 25 I think it is.
It gets worse. Quarantine everyone that speaks Kikongo so you don't lose all of your people. Keep playing missions to resolve it and fix it.

SliChillax

The mortars get placed on motherbase.

The vehicles can be deployed during your own missions, so when you start a mission you can have a jeep, truck or tank waiting for you. They are also used when your men go on combat ops.
Oh I thought I had to buy vehicles, thanks.

DeaviL

Banned
When i've grabbed someone, is there any reason not to stab them vs choking them?
(except for going for a no kills run ofc.)

heringer

Last night I dreamt about a MGS game with MGSV's gameplay but with The Boss as the main character doing black ops in WW2. Now I'm sad this will never exist. :(

Randam

listening to some tapes after finishing chapter 1: why the fuck has Kojima to explain everything?

first
nano machines
and now
parasites

the end had them, the pain could controll the hornets because of them.
the fear used them to release adrenalin.

imo those things did need any explanition..

BadWolf

When i've grabbed someone, is there any reason not to stab them vs choking them?
(except for going for a no kills run ofc.)

Would be more useful to fulton them and make use of them at mother base.

Other than that killing too much also results in Demon points...

listening to some tapes after finishing chapter 1: why the fuck has Kojima to explain everything?

first
nano machines
and now
parasites

the end had them, the pain could controll the hornets because of them.
the fear used them to release adrenalin.

imo those things did need any explanition..

It had to be done imo, that part in particular. People would have complained endlessly if he had not gone into detail on
parasites

Overall with MGSV Kojima struck a great balance between explaining and leaving things vague for discussion and speculation. It's not like MGS2 (where there were too many questions at the end) but it's also not like MGS4 (where Kojima tred to answer every damn question).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was in the exact same boat, barely killed anyone at that point and my first killing spree ended up being against my own men.

When they were afraid in that room and said "let the Boss decided" while saluting and humming the theme, oh man....

Absolutely. I had to walk away from the game for a bit after that. It was perfectly pitched.

BadWolf

Listening to the GZ tapes again and...

Miller really
freaking hated Paz, the guy goes all in on her. Looks like that hate carries over to Quiet.

And Huey
most definitely set them up 9 years ago it seems.

It had to be done imo, that part in particular. People would have complained endlessly if he had not gone into detail on
parasites

Overall with MGSV Kojima struck a great balance between explaining and leaving things vague for discussion and speculation. It's not like MGS2 (where there were too many questions at the end) but it's also not like MGS4 (where Kojima tred to answer every damn question).

I don't agree that there was a "great balance" in MGS5. It was for more restrained in the cutscenes and gameplay, yes, but the
parasite
tapes went way too far with the explanations.

And I don't understand who these "people who would complain endlessly" are. Whoever they are they should've been ignored.

Randam

Would be more useful to fulton them and make use of them at mother base.

Other than that killing too much also results in Demon points...

parasites

he should have never put them into the story.

the whole part with the
vocal cord parasites
is beyond stupid.
and explaining stuff with them ruins the older games.

I don't agree that there was a "great balance" in MGS5. It was for more restrained in the cutscenes and gameplay, yes, but the
parasite
tapes went way too far with the explanations.

And I don't understand who these "people who would complain endlessly" are. Whoever they are they should've been ignored.

That was the balance I guess. People who don't want to bother with the details can just pay attention to the brief explanation in the cutscenes. And for those who really want to know what's what can listen to the tapes. I thought all of that was handled pretty well.

The best part of that mission is just how deceiving it is. Miller even says something like rescue everyone who hasn't been infected, so you keep looking at everyone hoping that they're safe. Maybe just one will be safe but nothing. And when you go to the basement thing you hear voices saying they're dead anyway, so you think that maybe they haven't been infected and you'll be able to save someone. But nope, as soon as you check them out they're all infected and saluting. Waiting to die by your bullets.

You hope that that was all, that you don't have to kill anyone else. And then you see a way out, someone who wasn't infected. A final shining light, even in all the death around it. You get to feel good that at least you saved someone. But the game deceives your feelings once again, even he's infected and you only find that out just when you're about to reach your destination.

Mission 43 is literally genius in terms of how it plays with our feelings.

Danj

Aww yiss, just developed cargo fulton lv.2 and started getting myself some vehicles and large gun emplacements.

What happens to gun emplacements that you fulton, by the way? Do they get converted to resources or something?

Aww yiss, just developed cargo fulton lv.2 and started getting myself some vehicles and large gun emplacements.

What happens to gun emplacements that you fulton, by the way? Do they get converted to resources or something?

You can find them on Motherbase, can even sell them for money if you need it later on.

Some thing interesting regarding Skulls (Spoiler tagged just in case)
Remember when the Skulls is first introduced on E3 2013 trailer? When they run toward the camera, you could see number "02" on one of the Skull's forehead.
Here's the interesting part, I replayed mission 6 and managed to capture 2 skulls and when I visited them at quarantine platform, both of them have "02".

Nope, that was the end of Chapter 1.

But
chapter 2
is fairly small compared to
chapter 1 if you dont count the repeats
, right?

I'm just about to start mission
30 or 31
(I forget which) and I was assuming I was probably 75% done with the story by now. Is that incorrect?

Listening to the GZ tapes again and...

Miller really
freaking hated Paz, the guy goes all in on her. Looks like that hate carries over to Quiet.

And Huey
most definitely set them up 9 years ago it seems.
Can you blame Miller?
He also was right about Quiet being the enemy even though she fell in love with Venom

MNC

Are
demon
points ever explained in game? I'm at mission
and have never read anything on them.

Are
demon
points ever explained in game? I'm at mission
and have never read anything on them.
I don't believe they are ever mentioned in the game.

Other than killing and building a nuke I'm not sure what gives you demon points. But building a nuke gives you something like 50,000 demon points in itself.

MNC

I don't believe they are ever mentioned in the game.

Other than killing and building a nuke I'm not sure what gives you demon points. But building a nuke gives you something like 50,000 demon points in itself.
Sooooo.... What are they? Is it an invisible point tally?
does it make your horn grow?

Completely different question. Is there any failsafe way to a) jump over a railing and NOT start hanging and b) jump over a railing and start hanging? I fucked up so many FOBs, exfiltrations, missions, whatever, by jumping down a building instead of hanging from it. Fucking pisses me off.

Sooooo.... What are they?
Basically your typical oversimplified video game morality bullcrap that is hidden. It's separate from hero points, so even if you don't do too many things that would make you lose hero points, you still gain demon points from killing people.

I've been killing quite a bit and still haven't become Demon, as long as you visit the Animal Conservation Platform once in awhile (which removes 300 Demon points) you should be fine.

Zambatoh

Sooooo.... What are they? Is it an invisible point tally?
does it make your horn grow?

Completely different question. Is there any failsafe way to a) jump over a railing and NOT start hanging and b) jump over a railing and start hanging? I fucked up so many FOBs, exfiltrations, missions, whatever, by jumping down a building instead of hanging from it. Fucking pisses me off.

There is actually. For A, you need to run towards the railing while holding the action button. For B, you just need a slower momentum. Or just tap the action button after hitting the rail.

A is context sensitive though.

heringer

I did mission 32, watched a bunch of cutscenes and now the story won't go forward anymore. Any tips?

Also, where can I easily find a tank so I can fulton?

Top Bottom